Recluse

SLjunkie

Here's the end result of a bunch of tinkering trying to make a Wiz/GNL quad work.

Ray

Eas

Wiz

Mare

WS-1

Roz

SA44

DD/20

-

GNL

-

HG-80

HZL-50

Screens, stab, CND, LFCS, M/AW, INIA

There's a few small adjustments that work well too so I'm not entirely decided. I had the 008 head, Gull and WS-3 on there for a while, but the defense breakpoints work out better with the 003 and upping the booster to the MARE compensates for the extra drain a little. 008 head/002 booster works too; still fast but way less drainy.

Overally I really like it though. GNL is pretty nasty on an AC this quick and the WIZ's 145 turning works well for getting in close with the HG/HZL combo. Ammo is a bit of a problem though. The DD/20 is dropped most of the time but the HZL is dropped instead vs missle boats or anything with a really nasty combo. In that case, you'll have to be really careful with ammo. Vs spam-drop-missles you can just deal with the overweight until they're done and then drop them. DD/10 might be a better idea for this though.

Anyway, it's a lot of fun to play and seems to work pretty well.

First of all, WIZ quads never 'work', simply because giving them GNL and enough backup weapons to kill things means using such a horrible frame that SEV can allow for such a decrease in drain that FLEET can be used more comfortably than MARE can on this AC. The drain and speed stay pretty much the same, the defense goes way up, and you have some weight left over for actual backup weapons with ammo and stuff. Obviously the AC isn't better in all respects, but it's so much better in so many respects as to completely outclass WIZ quads.

That being said, WIZ quads are definitely a distinct design concept, and I will respect your decision to work with a lower-tier concept, and refrain from giving SEV-based suggestions.

This is a pretty good WIZ quad, one of the best I've seen. I really like your persistent use of choice dumper strategies. Near the end of my time with SL, I started experimenting with a lot of stuff like that; I think it's very underused in the third generation. This is one I'd not considered, mainly because it's frankly pretty bad in the abstract, but it works decently here, I think. Not excellently, though. Even a WIZ quad (I might in fact say especially a WIZ quad, since they have so little def) will loathe not having deeks, because that means leaving the ground and giving up potential GNL shots, as well as positioning for further GNL shots, to dodge missiles. But you do have the option of keeping the deeks, so whatever, maybe it works. The AC has so little ammo that I can't really imagine a situation where you would really want to give up the left arm unit for deeks, though. Dedicated missileboats in SL have such awful defense that I'd think you'd be better off just plowing through them as often as not. As iffy as this combo is though, it does give the AC a bit more legitimacy than most WIZ quads have. It's just too bad you can't have both backup weapons and deeks.

That said, why would DD/10 ever be better? You have the weight for DD20, and I can't think of anything light enough to dumperpair with DD10 that won't also work with DD20; certainly nothing better than HZL50.

I really do question the use of AW on an AC that will be running deekless most of the time. Why would you want missiles clogging up your radar when you can't do anything about them unless you can see them visually? AW's only purpose, in my mind, is to alert you part of a second earlier than the sound would that missiles are coming from outside of your field of vision, so you can deek. Unless you can dodge missiles you can't see with decent regularity, I'd think having a clear radar would be more beneficial for such a close-range AC.

Thanks man. Great post.

I agree that SEV quads outclass WIZ quads in most ways, but I like this AC a lot, and not just because it makes use of underused parts. It plays quite differently from a SEV quad for two reasons. First, it's much faster because of the weight cap. Running around at 430 km with the GNL and 500 without is pretty cool. Also, 145 turning is pretty cool with the HG/HZL combo, ray and 500 boost speed.

Not saying it makes it good, but definitely plays much differently than other quads.

I agree that there's very few ACs with dropping the HZL against, which is why I was considering dropping down to the dd/10 for using in the beginning as overweight. I'm thinking like vs VM40/R36 or OC15/R20 spam and drop.

M/AW is just on there because the BRK seems equally useless. Dunno what else I'd do with ops.

Thanks again. Wish I could always get feedback like that lol

Edited by SLjunkie