3DS

Magnus

That's a great launch list. My experiences with anything 3D haven't been good so far, but maybe this could work since there's no wonky ass glasses required. Or maybe some of this title brilliance will spill over to better things.

I can only hope.

Well, there's a sliding switch for setting how much 3D you want in the game. that might help you out some.

I dislike how many games on the list say "GAMETITLEHERE: Franchise". Does that mean they're already in development, or did the developers see the 3DS announcement and go "Shit! Hurry, make something!".

I wouldn't be surprised if that list started thinning out.

Well, there's a sliding switch for setting how much 3D you want in the game. that might help you out some.

I dislike how many games on the list say "GAMETITLEHERE: Franchise". Does that mean they're already in development, or did the developers see the 3DS announcement and go "Shit! Hurry, make something!".

I wouldn't be surprised if that list started thinning out.

How much 3D is enough 3D to make it worth it though? I mean, that seems to be the only real hook this has over the DS, which already has a massive and amazing library. I don't want to snub the 3DS' game line up, but I wouldn't want to get a 3DS and minimalize/turn off the experience, you know?

That's a level of silly even I'm not willing to tread.

Also, game names are purely marketing and come last. I bet they've already got awesome games ready but just haven't named them!

• 5 months later...

So for anyone not paying attention, the 3DS has been slated for a price cut down to $169.99 (an $80 drop) in the U.S., starting August 12th. Those who already own the system, or buy one and visit the eShop before then will be tagged as 'Ambassadors' and get access to 10 NES Virtual Console games, as well as 10 GBA games. The titles included are:

From the NES:

Balloon Fight, Donkey Kong Jr., Ice Climber, Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda

From the GBA:

Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Metroid Fusion, WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3

As well as 5 others from each.

It's a pretty interesting development. It seems pretty drastic, but there's a popular opinion that Nintendo had overpriced (like, even beyond a reasonable profit margin) them from the start. The launch line up also wasn't what it was made out to be.

An aside for the Canadians in attendance, I'd like to point out that Best Buy/Future Shop have them on sale this weekend, which basically means you'd probably get to double dip, barring some silly restrictions on Canada by Nintendo.

I'm still not sure this is for me, though.

A source:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/118/1184670p1.html

http://i56.tinypic.com/2v7wlqb.jpg

I totally don't remember this being there when I originally saw this topic. I find it unsettling.

Edited by Ataraxis

• 2 years later...

My 3D is always off, too. I like that. I like the price point. I like that it's wider (the 3DS is uncomfortable as all hell).

But I don't get a few things. The form factor just looks weird, and looks like it has a lot of wasted space. None of which was used to finally build in a second stick, and I can't imagine attaching a Circle Pad Pro to this. Apparently the non-folding design kept it cheaper, but it also reduces the portability. I see Vita (and some 3DS XL) owners complain all the time that their device won't fit in their pocket. This falls into a weird place where that aspect is concerned.

Mostly, this seems like a more kid friendly edition (cheaper, no 3D).