AC Design Templates & Help

Harakiri Tiger

The AC Design templates are replies at the end of this post. Feel free to skip straight to them, quote one, and go make your design topic.

The first thing to consider when posting a design in the AC Designs section is whether you've picked the right sub-forum for it. Remember that when you post a design here you automatically put the AC and yourself forward for all forms of criticism. This means that posting a design to show it off is fine, but you need to realize that it's still open to be criticized or have parts and changes recommended for it.

If you want to avoid criticism and just show your AC's off, make a garage for your AC's in the AC Garage. While you can only have one garage topic in each generation, you're free to post a single AC or many AC's in that garage. Remember, if you don't mind criticism post your design in the AC Designs section; if you do mind criticism post it in the AC Garage section. You've been warned!

Also, remember that, in the end, the AC in your topic is your AC. Just because we say you should change certain parts or use it differently or anything else doesn't mean that you have to do it. Don't overreact because people are discussing your AC or questioning your decisions in the design topic for it. You don't have to change your AC if you don't want to and you don't have to provide reasons for your part choices!

With all that said, when you post a design you want to try to follow one of the two templates provided in this topic. The reason for this is that it makes all the information easy to see and find as well as making it easier on the members because they won't be confused by your custom template. Everyone will know where to look for specific information this way. It also shows that you care enough about the AC to fill in the template and make the post look good. This doesn't mean you must use one of these design templates. It is all your call.

There's something important to keep in mind, though. When you post an AC, you need to realize that the way you post it reflects how much you care about it and how much effort went into designing it. I'm not talking about formatting here. I mean content. If we see that you gave a very bare-bones post with little real content besides a list of AC parts, we'll assume that you just whipped the AC together just to use a specific part or because you were bored. If it's just parts, we may even assume you just used a builder to make it and never actually used the AC in-game. This won't bode well for you, as the AC may go completely unnoticed.

Try not to post AC's designed solely to utilize specific parts or follow a very specific design stricture, unless that's very important to you. Why? Because, generally, we can tell if you didn't put much effort behind designing the AC, don't care much for the AC, or don't care much for our responses. AC's that you spend less than one hour making, testing, and using are likely to fit into that category. Try posting those AC's in your garage instead. Consider making the AC's you post in this section the AC's you care about the most, have spent time designing and playing with, or definitely want feedback on. You're more likely to get feedback on AC's that you seem to care about than ones that seem to be generically made because you were bored one night.

Remember, there are people out there who will spend over 100 hours with a specific AC. Designing it. Playing it. Re-designing it. Getting feedback on it. Playing it more. Painting and re-painting it. All trying to make the perfect AC for themselves. Some AC's go through a lot of revisions and use. My own LR staple, Promise, is one of those AC's. Do you really think it's fair that an AC that's so important to me, and that I've spent so much time on, should be pushed out of sight so that an overnight AC, designed by a bored player because he wants to use a part that's regularly unused, can take the spotlight instead? Do you believe that's right? Would you appreciate that happening to an AC you spent so much time on? Even if it's a near copy of someone else's AC, those AC's are representative of their creators. They're important. Try to respect that.

Also, don't post revisions of an AC as separate topics. Simply edit the original AC design topic for the AC in question and post in that topic telling us that you've revised the AC. Yes, even if it's three years after you posted the original design. Prototype designs are welcome, but please do spend at least an hour working on the AC yourself. We'll be more likely to help if you have some basic concept, goal, or idea in mind and you've already done some of the work at achieving that goal.

Anyway, one of the templates here is for the essential information we need to be able to understand your AC. The other is a full detail template that tells us everything about it. It's safe to say that the full detail template will net you more useful responses than the essentials template, in most cases. This is because it shows that the AC was important enough for you to fill out all those fields and because you provided enough information for us to really get a clear picture of what you want to do with the AC in question. You're free to add extra fields or remove fields on the templates to fit your needs.

Just head down to the reply with the template you want to use and hit the quote button on it. Then go make your topic. When filling out the template, just highlight the -N/A- and other filler text and replace it with your parts and information. It should maintain the basic formatting that way. If you need a picture of your AC, just ask TMRaven in this thread: TMRaven's Picture Request Thread

I have provided an example Full Detail AC Design as well. It should help you understand the templates. By the way, the "Classification" field in the Full Detail template refers to your AC's weight class and leg type. If you're not sure which weight class you belong in (Lightweight, Midweight, or Heavyweight) just enter -N/A- or Midweight. -N/A- stands for Not Available. Finally, you don't have to list the entire part name for each part. Most of us know the parts pretty well and can identify them by the last few letters or numbers in their name.

Don't forget to remove the quote tags from your post and remember to add the proper prefix to your design topic, btw.

Thanks for your time and have fun posting!

;)

-----

AC Name: Promise

AC Game: Last Raven

Classification: Lightweight Bipedal

Core Type: OB, Hangar

Revision: 2.0

--------------------------------------------------

ZWG-HG-111.png

Frame:

Head | Core | Arms | Legs
CR-YH70S2 | CR-YC010/UL2 | CR-A88FG | YLH11-Vixen
0/0/5/5/0 | 0/6/2/2/0 | 0/0/5/5/0 | 0/9/0/1/0

Internals:

Booster | FCS | Generator | Radiator
B05-Gull | Monju | G01-Lotus | Ananda
0/0/6/4 | -N/A- | 0/10/0 | 0/0/10

Armaments:

Inside | Extension | R Back | L Back
I01M-Urchin | E02RM-Gar | WB01M-Nymphe | CR-WB69RA
R Arm | L Arm | R Hanger | L Hanger
WR07M-Pixie3 | CR-WH01HP | -N/A- | WH09H-Wraith

Optional Parts:

O01-Amino | CR-O69ES | CR-O69SS | Kissyoh | CR-O75LA | CR-O79L+ | O03-Codon | Marishi

Frame Color:

- Base | Aid | Opt | Det | Jnt
R : 010 | 075 | 150 | 000 | 185
G : 000 | 075 | 130 | 075 | 200
B : 025 | 075 | 140 | 075 | 105

Weapon Color:

R Back | L Back | R Arm | L Arm | R Hangar | L Hangar
Red | Yellow | Blue | Blue | -N/A- | Black

Statistics:

AP : 7353
Weight : 6592
EN Supply : 2290
Stationary EN Supply : 4047
Max Boost Speed : 460
Turning Speed : 1485
Stability : 6209
Cooling : 15359
Def Shell/Energy : 1450/1700

Description:

Promise is a lightweight OB AC that primarily focuses on close quarters combat (CQC). It's goal is to remain mobile while it eats away at an opponent's patience and control, as well as their AP. Getting the opponent nervous or confused (BEDAZZLED) goes a long way towards winning with Promise, as well as keeping the pressure on as much as possible.

Promise is my staple for Last Raven. Some of you may know its previous iterations as Weaksauce. This is the 10th revision for this AC. Yes, that means there have been 11 different versions. It's changed a bunch and I expect it to change a bunch more over time as my tastes change. I'm honestly having a hard time picking between three different pairs of arms and a few pairs of legs.

Tactics:

When the match starts switch to your missiles and keep your distance. Poke their AP down. Don't rush in just because you can. If they're in the open activate your extensions for some bonus missile spam. If you have six locks with the missiles then multi-tap your extensions to fire a few extra shots.

Anytime the opponent gets near use the handgun and mines, including while firing missiles. If they get too close switch to the MG. Feel free to go crazy with your ammo as long as you have a red lock. Promise has enough ammo to spare, just don't fire without a lock. Once the missiles are empty drop them and the extensions. Also, remember to drop any weapon that goes empty along the way on the instant. Your lockbox will only get bigger and you'll only get faster.

When the missiles and extensions are gone it'll be time to get your hands dirty. Go all out close quarters. Make sure you're at least trying to flank your opponent while you fire the machine gun, handgun, and mine combo off. That's the entire reason for the legset that Promise is using. Remember, you can flank them vertically as well as horizontally. Try jumping a lot. It's another thing Promise is good at. Be sure to use those mines, by the way. They're very useful. Most importantly, remember to work their lockbox. Juke as often as you can, especially while in the air.

Known Issues:

Promise has the most difficulty fighting mid-weight defense gougers. Not starting with AP lead and lacking any really efficient long range combat makes it difficult to chip away the AP of bigger AC's and most mid-weights tend to be pretty fast as well, especially the ones running Dingo2. Being impatient with this AC will get you killed, as will being a spaz. It's one thing to have bad control, it's another to lose control in dire situations. Keeping your head cool while playing CQC should be a no-brainer though.

PvP Information:

I have not tested the current version of this AC against anyone worth noting.

Current Vs. Record: [0]W - [0]L - [0]D (Updated: 1 Feb. 2010)

Win Rate: 00%

Notes:

Feel free to bash it. I really don't care if it's constructive or not, I just want your opinion on the parts and design or even the colors. Just don't bash simply to be funny since that'll flood the thread a bit more than I would like. If you honestly don't like something just say so. Reasons would be useful though.

This AC isn't done being designed and I'm almost always open to suggestions, though not radical ones. By radical suggestions I mean I won't consider changing the main weapon from a Pixie3 to a Karasawa or the core from /UL2 to Eos and so on. Yes, I know Eos isn't that big of a change.

• 2 weeks later...

Template: Essentials-Only AC Design

AC Name: N/A

AC Game: N/A

Frame:

N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A

0/0/0/0/0 | 0/0/0/0/0 | 0/0/0/0/0 | 0/0/0/0/0

Internals:

N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A

0/0/0/0 | N/A | 0/0/0 | 0/0/0

Armaments:

N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A

N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A

Optional Parts:

N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A

Notes:

This is where you can tell the readers and people who provide criticism of your AC what you're willing to change or not willing to change. Consider listing where you want your AC to go from here, as well.

Template: Full Detail AC Design

AC Name: N/A

AC Game: N/A

Classification: N/A

Core Type: N/A

Revision: N/A

*Insert Image Here*

Frame:

N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A

0/0/0/0/0 | 0/0/0/0/0 | 0/0/0/0/0 | 0/0/0/0/0

Internals:

N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A

0/0/0/0 | N/A | 0/0/0 | 0/0/0

Armaments:

N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A

N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A

Optional Parts:

N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A

Frame Color:

- Base | Aid | Opt | Det | Jnt

R: 000 | 000 | 000 | 000 | 000

G: 000 | 000 | 000 | 000 | 000

B: 000 | 000 | 000 | 000 | 000

Weapon Color:

R Back | L Back | R Arm | L Arm | R Hangar | L Hangar

N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A

Statistics:

AP: 8000

Weight: 7500

EN Supply: 4000

Stationary EN Supply: 5000

Max Boost Speed: 500

Turning Speed: 1500

Stability: 6250

Cooling: 15000

Def Shell/Energy: 1500/1500

Description:

Describe the idea behind the AC. Why did you pick certain parts and what was your overall design goal? Is there a story oriented element to it or is it purely because you like the look of the parts or stats? Is there a history to the design? Has it evolved through all the games or just this one?

Is it your staple? A staple AC is your favorite or most used AC. One that truly defines your tastes for the game at hand.

Tactics:

Explain how you use the AC when you enter a match. Tell us what weapons you use first and at what ranges you prefer them to be used. Do you activate your OB often or rarely? Is there a specific combo you use on your AC or do you use each weapon individually or every weapon as soon as the opportunity presents itself? Run and hide, drive-by, keep away, rush down? What's your style with this AC?

In simple terms, "How do you believe it should be used?"

Known Issues:

Talk about your AC's deficiencies and weaknesses. Every AC has some. Consider listing the AC types you feel it has the hardest time against or ranges that your AC can't cover very well and should be avoided.

PvP Information:

This is where you can talk about your performance with the AC against real people. Talk about which ACs have given you problems and which you seem to be able to trump. Remember that many people won't take your Vs. Record seriously unless it's from XLink Kai, Adhoc-Party, or in-person tournament matches.

Current Vs. Record: [0]W - [0]L - [0]D (Updated: 1 Jan. 2010)

Win Rate: 100%

Notes:

This is where you can tell the readers and people who provide criticism of your AC what you're willing to change or not willing to change. Consider listing where you want your AC to go from here, as well.