fA: Kojima for Dummies

a re-post of something that was posted into one of taurus' designs. 1.40 fA regs (some stuff still works in AC4)

very minor editing was added

alright

just a note for kojima: its not meant to be used for something like CQC. heres why:

- one-shot. you have to make one shot count, and while getting in close may seem logical, it isnt entirely. if you miss that one shot, you now have almost nothing to hit the enemy back with and must immediately retreat, which isnt always the easiest thing.

- stun. any stun taken from any weapons that hit you (or even objects, like walls or water, even your own weapon recoil or landing recoil) will cancel your charge. on that note, NEVER try to kojima on water levels like shanghai or megafloat.

- when in CQC range, there are numerous things that will shred you to pieces with either stun or sheer damage. for example, a decently placed kamal, an SC, a zook; all have a good ability to stop you in your tracks immediately and make you restart your charge, while also having a great ability to take advantage of your relatively weak defenses.

though, kojima weapons should not be used at anything beyond close range. i know it sounds confusing, but let me try to explain

when using kojima weapons, you want the person to come to you. it is not neccessarily you attacking them, you need to draw them towards you. why? its basically called backpedal baiting. when someone must rush towards you, they have much less room to strafe and evade, as their primary movement must be foward. this does 2 things for you: it makes their AC movement more linear and easier to predict, and also "increases" the kojima velocity, since they will be heading towards you at faster speeds. what are you bound to hit faster; a car going the same direction as you, or a car traveling full speed directly at you?

make them come to you, dont go to them (unless tehy are in a HW or slower, then its perfectly fine to jump them from behind)

you dont have to backpedal bait the entire time as well. if you are clever enough to sneak up on your opponent or manage to flank them with ECM or in a BR, then you want to be close there as well (youll also need good non-OB horizontal speed. OB noise will give off your surprise attack, but you need to close in fast enough for them to not notice)

also, when using kojima, stand still frequently out of sight or behind cover. if you stand still in an AC and perform no actions, you will disappear completely off the radar until you move again. you can hide behind obstacles and surprise attack enemies who are not aware of your presence with AA through cover or a pop shot with a full-charged kojima. it helps to have radar when doing this, as you wont have to move your ac camera to "see" opponents

frame

when using kojima weapons, first off you want your defense leaning towards shell and AP, since KP and PA will drop during any charging of the weapons. youll want both low drain and relatively moderate speed to run away while charging your weapon. quad legs are an excellent candidate (namely GA legs) as they have fantastic stability and high horizontal speeds. their weight capacity is also a big plus to slap on better support weapons for okjima weapons. although the drain is somewhat high, its perfectly manageable with the correct boosters.

whatd id recommend is that you change your head to SALAF for stability, core to something a little less drainy or with better defense (LATONA or EKHAZ respectively), and legs to either LATONA or GA quad (i forget the exact name)

LATONA legs are good because quad legs are real nice and all for kojima fundamentals, but they are instantly countered by grenades. nades decimate your PA, stun, do massive amounts of damage, and if you run a quad, you become a grenade magnet. LATONA's drain and leg typing should enable you to fly around, lowering your chances of getting killed by grenades.

i know what you are thinking; you want the maximum KP for maximum KOJIMA use, which LINSTANT offers. its perfectly viable for a KOJIMA AC, but if youre going to use it, you should take advantage of its fantastic ability to recover from an AA within a mere 28 seconds. if you do plan on running linstant, id take the low-drain frame path and slap on RIGEL-AO OB and some MARROW extensions. youll be able to spam a very powerful and large-radius AA at close ranges to help distract and disorient your target for a good KOJIMA shot lay-up. if you do manage to land an AA, it will crap on their FCS lock ability, which will temporarily disable their offense completely while you clsoe in for the kill. if you dont hit them, its still fine since the AA blast is very blinding and you may be able to land a solid hit with the distraction of the AA.

the OTHER generator option is ALIYAH/G (or RIGEL/G if you cant handle the weight). ALIYAH/G will allow for GRATUITOUS AMOUNTS OF ENERGY while still maintaining a very high KP (i think the AA recovery rate is somewhere around 35 seconds). its a tad heavy, but you should consider building around it.

for your boosters, id highly recommend LATONA mains, as tehy are EN efficient and still maintain a high speed. VIRTUE is okay, but you need to be extremely careful about your EN and dodging stun weapons. i'll get back to more booster choice later.

as for side boosters, LATONA is meh. the EN it saves is not worth a weaker QB compared to something like HOLOFERNS, which will help you stay out of trouble and dodge all taht nasty stuff.

weapons

again, CQC weapons wont do you as much good as some other weapons. you have a few choices:

1. another KOJIMA CANNON, namely ARSENIC. it may seem redundant, but when used in conjunction with ARGYROS arms, you now have 2 shots instead of one. this means per charge/attempt, you have 2 chances of a near-instant (or completely instant) death to the opponent.

2. SC. with the SC and ARGYROS arms, you can set up shots to hit from astounding ranges (possible 600m!). when used in conjunction with quad legs for firing stability, you now have a lethal stun-to-koji combo. this combination is probably the most effective to cut through lag and the SC provides as an excellent mop-up weapon if your combo of doom doesnt manage to kill your opponent.

3. missiles. with something like WHEELING03 or 0203 spreads, the opponent will be forced to dodge the missiles and make their movement patterns easier to predict. while not as effective as using an SC, it is still a great setup weapon. the biggest problem youll have is flares though, since one AC with flares generally means youre screwed. works great on the off-slot that wont be used most of the time, especially if you decide to use another kojima cannon on your back slot.

4. radar. youll want to primarily be running away while you charge your kojima weapons, and while youre running away, youll want to know exactly where your opponent is without looking at him (you want to run away with foward boost). radar also comes in handy if you want to use some sneaky tactics and need to keep tabs on your opponent from long ranges without seeing them. works great on the off-slot that wont be used most of the time.

as for extensions you can primarily run 3 things as well

1. MARROW. its great for AAing other people, and with all that KP from your generators, you wont be down-and out for too long. you can also use your AA downtime to charge your kojima weapons and run away for a second attempt.

2. flares. with your PA draining and with somewhat low defenses, missiles can be a bit of a problem. theyll make you jump through hoops and spam QB jsut to try and not die or eat serious amounts of damage. these really shine if you decide to go more AA-heavy, since your downtime with no KP will generally mean instant death by missiles.

3. ECM (the ones that act similar to AC3 CROW). if you are playing on a map with lots of cover, you can take advantage of staying off enemy radar and out of sight, while amply going through the backdoor and owning them. this tactic goes extremely well with radar.

with your basic weapon choices down, time to get back to booster choice.

LATONA mains will get you the best results when running 2 kojima weapons or an SC, since going foward extremely fast is not that important.

if you plan on going AA-heavy or going the stealthier route (or both), VIRTUE is probably a better choice. you'll want to run ALIYAH with it, hands-down though, and since youll be on the ground most of the time, quad legs are your prime choice. youll be able to close gaps in an instant while you unleash a green hell upon your opponent, while allowing for high-speed escapes to recouperate and retaliate.

to be honest, kojima is not that great of a weapon. its mainly a gimmicky thing, since the velocity is so low that the charge time and weapon stats make it less than desirable (not to mention lag, which will lower your chances of a successful hit even MORE, making kojima weapons almost impossible to land hits with without proper planning). if anything, they are hi-lasers with much more burden and less consistency.

also, when building an AC with kojima, bear in mind the disadvantages of using it. dont suddenly decide you feel like slapping kojima on, as your AC will be almost guaranteed to fail.

---

thats the basics to kojima weapons, and most of what i know about them. sorry if it sounds like im saying "my way is the only way and you are wrong"; i do not mean that at all (and im sorry if it rubbed off that .

way). from my experience as a heavy kojima user, these tactics work the best for me online and have gained me the best results. feel absolutely free to experiment with more things and share though, as id love to learn more combinations

if you need clarification with something or something doesnt make sense, ask via PM or chat.

TL;DR: HAPPY NEEJ?

• 2 years later...
You've neglected to discuss the infamous "Ghost Shot" the kojimas are known for. If you get stun locked while holding a charge, you will not only lose that charge, but unless you change weapons and swap back, your next shot is guaranteed not to register. I call it a ghost shot because it actually doesn't appear on anyone else's screen but yours. Test it and see.

• 1 year later...

so… i came here for one reason, and one reason only

*OHH DURZO-SAN*

:cute anime catari or whatever:

DESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDESUDE-DEDEDEDDEDEDEDEDEDEDEEDEE-DE-DE

opa gangnam stie.

bernerbernerbernerwerewer

but no, niji, can haz real buoy, wit real question (edit this and i will be forced to PURIFY YOUR SOUL SIR.)

(and you may create more problems for me, leading to and revolving around… therapy

which is one of my least favorite dirty words, but, i digress. They don't work after awhile. I needed to practice with "live rounds" on a "live audience". Tried to make a funny. Made much innaprop. @u, the REDACTED paranoid story, that was a good one… you shouldn't have dereted its. No hard feewings doe. (k upon edit, some, i was hoping for a little attention on that one, and did put some "theatric effort" into it, in spite of it being a 100% non-fiction piece… WHO REALIZED THAT THEY STOLES ME XBOX?)

Ceasing drivel, everything from here down is legit meta (I REALLY might actually go so far.. as to get back into FA…)

**************************************************************************************************************************************

just a note for kojima: its not meant to be used for something like CQC. heres why:

- one-shot. you have to make one shot count, and while getting in close may seem logical, it isnt entirely. if you miss that one shot, you now have almost nothing to hit the enemy back with and must immediately retreat, which isnt always the easiest thing.

To err on the side of caution, nobs talking about alcoholics anonymous, right? and by that i mean Ass. Armor. Which is great, idk much about PA/AA/the game in general.

- stun. any stun taken from any weapons that hit you (or even objects, like walls or water, even your own weapon recoil or landing recoil) will cancel your charge. on that note, NEVER try to kojima on water levels like shanghai or megafloat.

​K so now.. IK that taking any hit is going to stall PA recharge… The rest is news to me… Makes sense though, as IIRC PA generally recharges faster if u hold still.

still, RECOIL FROM YOUR OWN WEAPONS?!?!?! no freakin' kidding…

Nob goes on to say, "till you see the whites of there eyes"… maka good sense. Koji wepns r 4 scrubs doe..

...Nob beats around the "circle glitch" bush, and general cowardly tactics that work 100% of the time half the time.

"real nob:"

what are you bound to hit faster; a car going the same direction as you, or a car traveling full speed directly at you?

​idk. I've only "hit" parked cars. Do not recommend.

(unless tehy are in a HW or slower, then its perfectly fine to jump them from behind)

​u make it sound easy…. to play like a boss...

also,… …."see" opponents

UWOTM8? IS THIS A HALO GUIDE?!?!?!

​but seriously… i played for years and NEVER KNEW THIS. I'm inclined to think you're trolling but, tbh i belibe u.

Latona, latona, latona...

Intersting… maka sense does. If you don't have experience with the game though, stay far, far away from latona. For it is paper-mache, even with its PA up.

i know what you are thinking; you want the maximum KP for maximum KOJIMA use, which LINSTANT offers.

​gtfo of my brain… yes. was thinking rec directly influences AA "DPS" by increasing recharge rate.

​Also, seems to me PA rec directly influenced AA damage… but i could be wrong. Been wrong before…

arg…

Linstant

R u reffering to the generator, the frame, or both? I assume generator, since you mention 28 second AA recovery.

…lines later, schism cured… much thanks… back to class...

(nob meant the max KP generator)

Tard04 to Nob03:

youll be able to spam a very powerful and large-radius AA at close ranges to help distract and disorient your target for a good KOJIMA shot lay-up…

To me, this is saying AA the christ out of them then use the nukes...

Which doesn't sound right, because KJ weapons rely on KP to fire.. KP will take ~28 seconds to return at best… therefore… you made an error of implico here.

Unless this is supposed to mean AA the christ out of them till they are too scared to push real aggro, THEN use nooks. (but that would just be mean…)

Straight meta from nob:

the OTHER generator option is ALIYAH/G (or RIGEL/G if you cant handle the weight). ALIYAH/G will allow for GRATUITOUS AMOUNTS OF ENERGY while still maintaining a very high KP (i think the AA recovery rate is somewhere around 35 seconds). its a tad heavy, but you should consider building around it

newb to scrubs: its been years, but IIRC Lahire generator is good as a lightweight Aliyah replacement. Better suited to a build that might use AA in a moment of desperation than a general weapon.

@booster selection...

​I'm now in over my head. The "mod alliyah" side booster is REALLY good though… similar to holofernes but with noticeably more torque (so its good for fattys, or those looking to cut through lead rain like butter and pwnzorz nubs sideways). I wish i could remember the part name… iirc it was a cool word… (edit: begins with an "O" [?])

*walks out the back-door, awkwardly, says good-bye to no one.

@weapons

I'd argue all KJs (aside from bismuth and the other missile) are crud. Definitely highly limited CQC weapons that will be dodged by a competent player. That said...

Ive taken setup #1 and 2 directly to the face, abdomen and butt-flap. If the stars align…. man it sucks getting 1 shotted in this game...

weapons

again, CQC weapons wont do you as much good as some other weapons. you have a few choices

"out of context" this rings true IME. But is false nevertheless. CQC weapons are not to be taken lightly

@#2 SCs are pretty damn good mixed with anything. CQC arm weapons will be much more effective if you can force an opponent to "play your game" by pelting them with SCs till they decide to play the game. SCs are even pretty good as a CQC weapon, just don't expect impact AND damage to (register) save your ass vs a fast blader.

@4 sexism, is, as sexism does nob.

brought this up earlier:

AA downtime to charge your kojima weapons and run away for a second attempt.

but how? AA consumes KP, rendering kojima gun inert till recharge begins? yes?

...Flares is shrek, till you learn how to dodge and pwn at the same time… but generally the only good option for survival oriented players fighting swarms of wheeling.

​@ecm.. lol… nob said "good cover" gitrekt nob.

@booster HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHa. ha. "ground"...

you do not want to be there.

to be honest, kojima is not that great of a weapon. its mainly a gimmicky thing, since the velocity is so low that the charge time and weapon stats make it less than desirable (not to mention lag, which will lower your chances of a successful hit even MORE, making kojima weapons almost impossible to land hits with without proper planning). if anything, they are hi-lasers with much more burden and less consistency.

also, when building an AC with kojima, bear in mind the disadvantages of using it. dont suddenly decide you feel like slapping kojima on, as your AC will be almost guaranteed to fail.

quoted for truth. For the sake of clarity, hi-lasers are not at all consistent.

You've neglected to discuss the infamous "Ghost Shot" the kojimas are known for. If you get stun locked while holding a charge, you will not only lose that charge, but unless you change weapons and swap back, your next shot is guaranteed not to register. I call it a ghost shot because it actually doesn't appear on anyone else's screen but yours. Test it and see.

no shit m8… good info. So much Jank….

Edited by Nescient

​K so now.. IK that taking any hit is going to stall PA recharge… The rest is news to me… Makes sense though, as IIRC PA generally recharges faster if u hold still.

its not the loss of PA that hinders kojima weapon charging, it is the stun that shocks you completely out of charging the weapon. you can charge kojima cannons with 0 PA

...Nob beats around the "circle glitch" bush, and general cowardly tactics that work 100% of the time half the time.

due to the fact that stun will knock you out of your charge and that you can only use one other weapon while charging, it is unwise to attempt to fight your opponent especially when using kojima cannons until they are done charging. trying to fight them with low/zero PA, higher EN drain, and one less weapon WHILE NOT GETTING HIT FOR AT LEAST 20 SECONDS is almost impossible vs anyone who might be half competent. even if they dont stun you, you will most likely die by the time your kojima cannon is fully charged.

Intersting… maka sense does. If you don't have experience with the game though, stay far, far away from latona. For it is paper-mache, even with its PA up.

it doesnt matter if you lack defense because either you are going to one-shot your opponent or you are going to die anyways. kojima weapons do not have any longevity, so your AC should last as long as you need it to

To me, this is saying AA the christ out of them then use the nukes...

Which doesn't sound right, because KJ weapons rely on KP to fire.. KP will take ~28 seconds to return at best… therefore… you made an error of implico here.

Unless this is supposed to mean AA the christ out of them till they are too scared to push real aggro, THEN use nooks. (but that would just be mean…)

kojima cannons do NOT rely on KP to fire. they drain your KP but do not necessarily need KP to maintain their maximum charge value or to charge in general. fully charged kojima cannons will maintain 100% of their damage with 0 KP

newb to scrubs: its been years, but IIRC Lahire generator is good as a lightweight Aliyah replacement. Better suited to a build that might use AA in a moment of desperation than a general weapon.

Lahire only offers a marginal amount of energy and KP over Judith but is nearly double Judith's weight. its a decent generator but is outclassed by both lighter and heavier generators because it does not make that much of a difference over Judith, and for a little extra weight you could run aliyah. Kojima weapons are such an extreme weapon that you need extreme parts to support them, which in this case would be LINSTANT or ALIYAH. Rigel has more KP than Lahire for roughly the same weight

@booster selection...

​I'm now in over my head. The "mod alliyah" side booster is REALLY good though… similar to holofernes but with noticeably more torque (so its good for fattys, or those looking to cut through lead rain like butter and pwnzorz nubs sideways). I wish i could remember the part name… iirc it was a cool word… (edit: begins with an "O" [?])

*walks out the back-door, awkwardly, says good-bye to no one.

Ortega lacks the QB duration that holoferns has, which makes it less powerful than holoferns even though it uses more energy

@weapons

I'd argue all KJs (aside from bismuth and the other missile) are crud. Definitely highly limited CQC weapons that will be dodged by a competent player.

they suck in the sense that they are very resource intensive and restrict your design choices greatly while also being very hard to hit people with, but because of their immense power, they are completely viable. in fact, they are probably the most broken weapon to use in any form of team battle due to their ability to instantly kill anyone who is unaware. also, do mistake them for CQC weapons. its better to be closer to use them, but because you have to charge them, you do not want to be close to your opponent for the majority of the match. CQC weapons are weapons that require the user to be close to the opponent as much as possible.

weapons

"out of context" this rings true IME. But is false nevertheless. CQC weapons are not to be taken lightly

CQC weapons offer nothing to kojima cannons because your goal is to maintain as far a distance from your opponent until your kojima cannon is fully charged. in the short duration that you are close to your opponent, you want a weapon that will help you set up your OHKO shot rather than a weapon that will do damage effectively. it is also hard to use them effectively because the equipment and design constraints imposed by kojima cannons reduce your mobility, defense, and energy; all of which are important to CQC.

but how? AA consumes KP, rendering kojima gun inert till recharge begins? yes?

No. read above somewhere for explanation.

...Flares is shrek, till you learn how to dodge and pwn at the same time… but generally the only good option for survival oriented players fighting swarms of wheeling.

being able to ignore missiles while either charging the kojima cannon or trying to line up a shot is far more valuable than any other added offense you might attain with other shoulder units. BFF stealth ECMs are potentially usable, but only for team-oriented fights since its very easy to spot the giant glowing green ball visually. the only other option would be MARROW, which will help with AA-Koji combos and provide you with a better backup infinite ammo source

@booster HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHa. ha. "ground"...

you do not want to be there.

being on the ground provides you with the fastest and most EN efficient lateral movement that is not OB. this is very valuable to when you need to flee while charging, and chase those who attempt to run from you. airborne players will struggle to keep up with a fast ground target. If they overextend too much, it is an easy shot for your kojima cannons. the main concern is grenades, which will destroy your AC if you are not careful, but other than that, ground movement is fine and dandy.

Well, as a personal mentor often said, Toosh' nob.

but ORTEGA. thanks bruh. and iirc Holofernes has a stat deficit which makes ortega better suited to "running and gunning" with forward momentum.. Holofornes=purely evasive QB, Ortega=mlg dodge (read as: difficult to pull off) but keeps guns on target, so to speka.

@ground movement: well… ok… AFAIK ur still slower grounded than mid-air. either way u lose like half ur circle glitch in being there. Nades "becomes an issue" as you say but pretty much any weapon is going to be able to hit you with a greater degree of reliability… my real point was that in being stuck to the ground… your kojima cannons will be inherently less efficient.

gg nob.

re-reading, not drunk this time… a few nit-picks, just for the sake of the uninitiated...

it doesnt matter if you lack defense because either you are going to one-shot your opponent or you are going to die anyways. kojima weapons do not have any longevity, so your AC should last as long as you need it to to

sound theory. Still, latona just isn't a good starting point for beginners, IMO. The quad strategy you've outlined is great… but latona will be dangerously close to mid-weight mobility, with sub-par shell defense and PA (for a lightweight)…

So… basically… any chuckle fuck that can keep ~500m between you and spam rifles, is going to pose a serious threat to a latona based KJ NEXT… just my 2c. Likewise, missiles, etc… any mid-range weapon is going to be doing that stun thing you taught meh…

kojima cannons do NOT rely on KP to fire. they drain your KP but do not necessarily need KP to maintain their maximum charge value or to charge in general. fully charged kojima cannons will maintain 100% of their damage with 0

so just t o be clear, the hit to PA during charging is… the weapon just plain damaging your existing PA pool. I blame pre-conception bias. I assume its possible to stack regen/rec and maintain somewhat viable PA while charging…

Edited by Nescient

• 2 weeks later...