Engraving and Performance (Weapons)

Tebbo

I haven't checked yet but I'm assuming engraving gives some sort of notable modification to the weapons stats based on what style engraving you choose. Does engraving have any kind of connection to performance? which leads me to...

What is performance? It filled up after maybe a mission or two for me and seems to have done nothing. Unless it is tied to that little icon of a weapon with a green up arrow above it that appears while I'm out and about on missions. Can you level your weapons up? If so where do you go to do this or does it just happen at some point.

Edited by Tebbo

yes it does affect stats. I have a Howitzer that I set up to specialize in attack power. Went back to the shop and compared a default Howitzer to the one I have, you can see the statistical difference for attack power.

Engraving/performance tuning is easily compared to "levelling up" a weapon. While the improvement can be very subtle sometimes but say you bought two identical rifles and engrave them the same performance path, after a lot of use ( I'm assuming online, haven't tried offline ) the performance bar fills up till it's maximized. Take a look at their stats then they are no longer identical.

The stats acquired are sorta random ( niji explained this earlier in the ac5 discussion sometime ago ) so you would improve the rifle by random points.

So far I've bought and fully tuned a laser cannon for accuracy ( not extreme accuracy ) and from the looks of it, my cannon always hits the target as long as it's in the lock ring compared to the first time I bought it which would sometimes fire slightly off target.

I've yet to fully test it so don't hammer me if it comes out wrong.

Edited by Moon Walker

Yeah I was going to do the same thing Densuo and definitely will today to check by how much it affects things.

That's kind of odd about performance simply because you can max performance so fast it seems almost pointless. I feel like there's some bit of info missing there. It's interesting that the stats are somewhat random though.

Thanks guys, I'm going to poke around and see what kind of stuff I find out.

I was able to max a light karasawa after two missions, I hadn't used the kara. lol. :D However yes it does offer statistical differences, but I'm not sure if it affects it in a sort of plus something, minus something else, or just plus something way. I would wager, if you don't want too great of an effect on your equipment, just go with one of the generalized settings "Power" "Accuracy" "Rapid-Fire", and don't specialize. If you really want a part to go in a certain direction, specialize.

Does anyone know what the little square green icon with an up arrow and what looks like a minigun means?

It's on my screen (during a mission), center of screen, upper portion all mission and nothing I do seems to get rid of it. In scan mode it shows up in the box of info about your own AC in the lower right corner.

Also yeah the amount of time it takes for performance to go up seems to be all over the place. Some stuff seems to shoot up after a mission or two, and some stuff seems to gain almost nothing with each mission. It doesn't seem to be directly tied to usage either like you mentioned.

Edited by Tebbo

You're using sub-computers. It just likes to remind you about it.

But the original idea I guess is that when you have teammates near you, they get the benefit too and that sign is just a notification for them when they are in your range of effect.

Yeah Niji clarified. Thanks though.

Does anyone know if specializing too much can actually degrade weapon performance in some areas? So far I haven't even noticed any changes. Also if I have items from the pre-order I have to buy the weapons again to upgrade them right?

I forget what stats lowered and raised. Its 3 stats raised and three lowered. And no, but you can rebuy the same weapon with a different upgrade path. Since you can engrave it, you can tell which ones which if you set it up right. Like SOL SP(specialized power), SOL SRF(specialized rapid fire)

Repair just means 100% base stats. Junk is when you have less than 100% base stats. They are not related to tuning (except you can't tune junk parts, but you wouldn't want to anyway).

Are you just saying 'tuning' as in engraving or is there something else going on?

So far, I've been making use of the shop to get rid of the junk parts and get some good equipment.

Still a bit foggy on the "leveling up" system, since I don't know where to go for that, but i figure I'll just find it out for myself, rather than bother someone else.

Are you just saying 'tuning' as in engraving

Yes.

But I think "officially" engraving is the renaming of the part, and 'tuning' is really called affinity.

Still a bit foggy on the "leveling up" system, since I don't know where to go for that, but i figure I'll just find it out for myself, rather than bother someone else.

This should give you a rough idea:

http://translate.goo...t%2Fau076lr.php

Breakdown for KARASAWA [bottom of page], works similar (percentage wise) for other parts. However, JP is on reg 1.2. Also, I don't know where that top KARASAWA with 14000 attack came from. My most powerful SAWA is maxxed out at 12000 (also, I recommend using Power over Specialized for Power with full size KARASAWA) and also lost some stats in other areas. The other four affinities look reasonable compared to what I'm seeing.

Edited by Exorcet

Yeah I get what you mean, my bad. yes the affinity part.

performance is kind of confusing.

is it like pokemon EV points... or something? or just somewhat random. I hope it is either one of those and not some fixed thing. I like the idea of trying to max a bunch of the same weapon to find one that works best for you stats wise. very interesting.

I have posts in the ACV Discussion topic explaining affinities pretty in-depth, but I'd have to find them. Hold on and I'll do some searches in the topic and see what I can pull up.

EDIT: Found some posts.

Post #1

The leveling up system for guns/blades/cannons is more akin to a tuning system than a leveling system, though. You get the same ten boxes you got in Nexus to tune your parts and the only way to untune them is to trash them or buy new ones. The difference is that in NX you tuned each box out of the ten as you wanted it, you did it all at once, and you paid money for the upgrades. In ACV you buy the weapon with a specific affinity instead, then you use the gun in missions/PvP and it gains the tuning on its own.

Clockwise, the six tuning stats are: Attack, Reload, Accuracy, Optimal Range, Bullet Velocity, Lock Speed

There are 3 different affinities, with two versions of each affinity. One is the EXTREME version and one is the STANDARD version. An affinity basically sets your weapons tuning path when you buy the weapon. The three affinities basically focus on different combinations of those six tuning stats. I can't remember the affinity branches well since I haven't looked at them too much and I've barely had any time to play yet. I believe it was something like Attack+Bullet Velocity (Affinity 1), Reload+Lock Speed (Affinity 2), and Accuracy+Optimal Range+Bullet Velocity (Affinity 3). I can't recall if the first two affinities had three stats they buffed or not, but I'm sure about the ones I've listed so far.

Now let's use an example to help make this easier to understand. Read this next paragraph slowly so you don't get confused.

You go to the shop and look through the available parts. Then you select a URF-15 VALDOSTA rifle to buy and the confirm screen for buying the part shows up. At this confirm screen, you're given the option to set the weapons affinity (no extra charge). It defaults to the Attack+Bullet Velocity STANDARD setting. Maybe you'd prefer a higher hitrate VALDOSTA though? You might like the idea of chipping people to death at range more. So you switch over to the third major affinity setting of Accuracy+Optimal Range+Bullet Velocity and you decide to go for the EXTREME version of that affinity instead of the STANDARD version. Now you click OK to complete the purchase and a new URF-15 VALDOSTA rifle has been added to your garage with a strong affinity for ranged combat.

It doesn't actually say STANDARD or EXTREME in big letters or anything, I just made that up to represent it cuz it's a good way to differentiate between them. Also, remember that the new URF-15 VALDOSTA you bought isn't unique yet. It's still running basic stats. It's unused and untuned. To make the gun grow along its tuning affinity you have to carry it around on your AC during missions/PvP. You don't have to actually use it, but you do have to bring it with you.

Post #2

Also, finding FIXED stat versions of guns isn't something I've managed so far. FIXED stat guns are like sentry guns and tracker guns. I've found JUNK, FIXED, PERFORMANCE, and SPECIAL parts in the game. Guns/Blades/Cannons are only JUNK, PERFORMANCE, or SPECIAL. Honestly, cataloguing the potential tuning growth of the stats is near impossible. When you find parts in missions they're always just PERFORMANCE with a preset (maybe random?) tuning affinity assigned. Best thing to do would probably be what we're going to do on ACU wiki, just list the core untuned stats from the shop.

Tuning seems to be relatively generic anyway. About +100 attack tuning (max attack tuning) seems to yield roughly 25-30% increased attack on all guns. Assuming you get a good turnout on your weapon. It's probably safe to assume that it just works on a +/- X% basis for now. I recently tried to copy down all the tuning fields best potential stats from the tuning chart. They're not dead accurate, but they're pretty close. Note that +100 doesn't mean +100% on this data. +100 means that it has maxed that tuning field. Think of the +/- stats on this chart as "tuning points", which in turn use a different % ratio to modify your weapon.

Affinity 1 (Jousting, Hit & Run, Guerilla Warfare)

Affinity 1A: +70 Attack, -0 Reload, -10 Accuracy, +60 Range, +70 Velocity, -0 Lock Speed

Affinity 1B: +100 Attack, -20 Reload, -30 Accuracy, +80 Range, +80 Velocity, -40 Lock Speed

Affinity 2 (DFA, DFU, Bulldogging, Flanking)

Affinity 2A: -10 Attack, +80 Reload, -30 Accuracy, +30 Range, +40 Velocity, +80 Lock Speed

Affinity 2B: -20 Attack, +100 Reload, -40 Accuracy, +40 Range, +40 Velocity, +100 Lock Speed

Affinity 3 (Poking, Backpedaling, Running)

Affinity 3A: -10 Attack, -0 Reload, +70 Accuracy, +70 Range, +60 Velocity, -0 Lock Speed

Affinity 3B: -20 Attack, -10 Reload, +100 Accuracy, +100 Range, +100 Velocity, -10 Lock Speed

Remember, those are the best stats your gun will get with each tuning field if you are INCREDIBLY lucky. Much more common would be to get just a few at best and some at worst or somewhere in-between. I'll see if I can get all the worst fields added to the list later on, then you'd have a full range for the tuning stuff. I might even take pictures.

Post #3

I'm a bit lost on Affinities. From what I gather, weapons (and other parts?) can be found (and purchased?) with one of two levels of three affinity types. Those affinity types positively and negatively affect the attributes of the part, but the actual effect emerges over time as the part is carried (not necessarily used?) in combat. And the extent of those effects is based on chance?

You are correct. Only guns, blades, and cannons can have an affinity set to them. OWs, shoulder parts, sentry guns, jammers, and tracker guns can not have an affinity set to them. They all have fixed stats, like all the frame parts. Fixed stats never change and you can only own one copy of a part that has fixed stats, so you can't buy a second UHD-10/A TRISTAN head. You can, however, own multiple copies of parts that use affinities and you can even name the part to help you distinguish similar guns.

It doesn't matter if you find or purchase the weapon, they all come with affinities and they all start with no tuning. When you find parts in missions you get a random affinity, when you buy a part in the shop you get to pick the affinity. You can't not have an affinity, either. All guns have to pick one of six possible affinities, which I listed in my last post with their best possible tuning outcomes.

Once you've bought or found a part and it's in your garage, you'll find it has zero out of ten boxes filled in its tuning field. There is no way to check what affinity the gun was set to once it has been added to your garage. Now, to actually tune the part along its affinity path you need to carry it around or use it in missions of any kind (PvE/PvP). After each mission it'll gain a bit of tuning. Sometimes it'll gain one tuning point (1 box), sometimes it'll gain two to three. When it gains tuning points the stats will change in accordance with the affinity you set it to. Once it reaches ten tuning points it will be maxed and will no longer change.

4) And is the extent of the affinity effects are based on chance? Example:

Is it possible to have an Affinity 1A rifle that maxes out at almost +0 across the board? Then a second rifle of the same type, but with +0 across the board but with one high attribute (say, +60 Attack)? Then a third rifle of the same type, but with very high attributes across the board?

Yes. They are chance based. The +/- stats I listed before are just the best stats you can get. That's why they are listed as -0 in red. If you are lucky, you will lose nothing in that stat field as your gun tunes. Otherwise you will lose points.

The size of the field of deviation depends on the tuning type. 1A, 2A, and 3A are the standard tuning options. These have a smaller gap between minimum and maximum outcomes for each stat, so they are more stable and have fewer deviant stats. 1B, 2B, and 3B are the extreme tuning options. These have a bigger gap between minimum and maximum outcomes for each stat, so they are less stable and more deviant.

You can get more attack power using 1B than if you use 1A, but you could also lose a lot more reload and accuracy while doing it. Worse yet, you may end up with the same attack power as you got from 1A. It means you'll have to train some weapons up multiple times to get truly better stats.

I have posts in the ACV Discussion topic explaining affinities pretty in-depth, but I'd have to find them. Hold on and I'll do some searches in the topic and see what I can pull up.

Well aren't you just the best :D

thanks a ton for all that. I wasn't sure if it had already been covered somewhere or not. really appreciate you organizing it here.