Multi-Media and Art Sub-Forum

Mom

The comment and upload system on the gallery is nice, but I feel it'd be good to have a subforum for both discussing and sharing artwork.

I also feel there's way too many subforums under discussion. I feel it'd be much more clean if movies, tv series, anime, music and websites were all under a "multi-media" subforum. Music can also go under arts when appropriate.

Literature and games could stay as their own subforums given their popularity.

Nobody talks enough about sports to really warrant its own subfurom I think. Perhaps put it in "other"

I also really don't like the idea of the personal zone. Aren't introductions enough? Given enough time and enough additional members to the place, and I see something like that could be a problem. I also think each member's profile page should be enough of a replacement of the "personal zone" idea.

I also think max image size before auto-scale is applied should be at least 650 pixels wide =(

Edited by TMRaven

I can always make a subforum for discussing and sharing art. That's no big deal, really.

I can't agree with the too many subforums under the discussion section, though. I've used that same discussion system on a few other sites and over time it's proven to be very, very useful. When you merge them all into one forum people start making fewer posts about those specific fields. They're less likely to talk about a few shows or things that they find entertaining because they're not sure if those things will be able to compete with the major topics posted under such a broad subforum. This isn't always true for older members of a site or more confident members, but many users don't have that. It seems silly, but the more people are willing to simply post on the forum and stick around to chat about stuff, the more likely they are to visit ACU every day. Even if it's just to talk about the recent episode of Jersey Shore or Desperate Housewives, haha.

Eventually those forums will flesh out. Probably not too long before the end of they year, either. We just gotta wait for the members to get used to it a bit. The AC community has always been used to that more simple and broad subforum for outside non-AC related media than this one. I'm not too worried about it. I can understand that it's a lot to scroll by, though. If subforums don't end up fleshing out enough for me to like them, I'll move them into "Other" as we go along. The sports section, specifically, may not find much use on an AC site. Besides that, the only help I'm willing to give you is to tell you to just shrink the category listing and only open it every once in a while when you feel like looking through all the media discussion.

Introductions most definitely are not enough, haha. Introductions are better left shorter, just a way of breaking the ice on a forum and getting to know the posting system. Many people, after making an introduction, still find themselves as relative outsiders to a forum or website because of how the Introduction section is regarded and how it's handled. The new guys don't get to know you any better, you get to know them a little better. Rarely do replies to introductions elaborate on the replier, only on the new guy. You have to expect spam and a jumble in an Intro forum.

The profile page does do everything the Personal Zone does, but members are far less likely to go reading profile pages to get to know each other or to look for ways to kill time. Members typically only visit profile pages to look up a small tidbit of info or to PM someone. This means that whatever you bother posting on your profile page, besides your AIM and PSN/LIVE ID's, is likely to go completely unnoticed. Very few people will read another personals statements or their About Me's. So while the profile page does do everything the Personal Zone does, people simply don't use it. The PZ has more potential because it's on the front page.

I'm not a minimalist, really. Haha. I think that should be pretty obvious. Anyway, if these subforums end up not getting enough activity for me to warrant them I'll either remove them or merge them with other forums.

I'll check into the image resizing later tonight and see what I can do about it.

So, you want that Art forum, then?

Yes, most definitely an art subforum. I just can't agree with this "Personal Zone" being way easier than profile pages. They're basically little "about me" pages that no one can reply on. Once the site gets a lot of people, do you really expect people to go scrolling through gobs of "about me" topics in this subforum jus to get to know people? No, I'm positive one click of a member's display name would be more than adequate to finding their information if you ask me.

About the only way I see this "Personal Zone" subforum working to its fullest extent is if everybody had a little "about me" link under their avatar that linked the viewer to their "personal zone" topic.

Oh and also, AC3, SL, Nx, Nb and LR are all under 3rd gen right? They all have the same parts, even though they have different mechanics.

Edited by TMRaven

Yah, but the engine is the same except for the addition of EO and even I won't split the generations up that much, haha. I tend to revolve around the concept of, "It's easier to remove an inactive forum than it is to create an active forum." By that standard, I should consider splitting them, but I don't see it as a huge thing.

When the Wiki starts getting articles, and we start discussing things on the forum, I think the forums will flesh out for the older games. I don't think they'll flesh out so much that they need to be split farther, though. As of right now, Design Posts will all follow a single major layout in their respective design subforums and the engines that drive the games and determine the physical aspects of the game, not counting formulae, are divided per generation.

Generally, the mechanics you're talking about relate the game engines formulae that determines how stats relate rather than the game engine itself. If you seriously want me to split the forums though, I can. Just get 19 more people who agree to split the forum to PM me about it or post here in this topic.

"It's easier to remove an inactive forum than it is to create an active forum."

I'm listening chums. Just try not to abuse me, hahaha.

No I like the way it's currently split, otherwise you'd have one generatoin that's only 2 games with another that consists of too much.

I'm just pulling your nob.

Yah, but the engine is the same except for the addition of EO

Such an over-generalization.