Warframe

Magnus

https://warframe.com/

Arcade style free to play. Do a mission, get paid, move onto the next. Progressively gets much much harder. Variety of different frames that specialize in different approaches, and skills can be outright ignored in favor of raw stats. The only time you pay in this game is A) customization B) more slots for weapons/frames C) when you want to skip crafting entirely.

In other words, very very well handled and support's very concise.

Edited by Magnus

• 4 months later...

Nob and I have been playing this a lot lately. He has over 100 hours and I'm pushing 60, I think. Rachis and DMX both play too. I recommend it. Robot space ninjas with assault rifles and shit. The graphics are great, movement is super good with a lot of freerunning-inspired moves, and the weapon customization is nice.

There is a lot of farming involved. You have to farm for blueprints to make new things, materials to make those things, and XP to level your frames and weapons so that you can advance in level and unlock new frames and weapons. Fortunately, missions can be done very quickly if you choose to ignore enemies and rush objectives but missions are actually pretty fun and there's a decent amount of enemy variety.

The devs seem to be really receptive to player feedback and the game is technically in beta so there are small updates relatively frequently as they hammer out bugs as they crop up. There are events that happen that give you specific rewards for participation and encourage teamwork. Clans are a good way to get people to help with tough missions but even randos are usually ok to play with.

There is a lot of stuff in the game that you can pay real money to have unlocked for you but most of it is also available as drops in-game. The only things you can't get from playing the game are slots for more frames and extended custom colors.

Try it out. You can get it on steam or from the warframe website.

Here are the player names so far:

ACU name: Warframe ID

Noob: N.O.B

90: PusherLove

Rachis: Rachis

DMX: darkmx4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I am here to say that I APPROVE OF THIS GAME. I also think I mentioned it in the destiny thread, but whatever. I can always find more shit to say about destiny.

Game's fun, grindy, but fun to grind, and supports a pretty wide variety of "do whatever the fuck you want" in terms of playstyles up until endgame lv80+ enemies. At that point, there's really only like one or two strategies that are viable, but otherwise, you can mess around as much as you'd like. There's some issues in balancing not-rifle weapons to be viable, (shotguns and snipers do shitty damage and are highly unreliable, melee is worthless after a certain point) there's a fair amount of power creep, but they seem to be buffing older weapons to be good every so often. Older warframes are also getting some buffs, it seems.

The new archwing stuff is pretty roughly hewn, it'll be a while before any of that stuff is actually genuinely fun and not-buggy. It has control issues on consoles and feels pretty empty. Shooting in space is messy too, since you typically have to stand still to get any reasonable accuracy against super tiny, far away targets. There's also tiny hallways you have to fly through at high speeds, and crashing results in bouncing all over the place for about ten seconds.

On foot combat and movement is really fun, though movement is kinda buggy/exploitable, and it's easy to get out of the map or stuck in a door by accident and force a restart. The pets you can get are extremely expensive to make use of and not really all the useful for endgame anyway, though, so they're often not worth getting.

Playing the in-game market is pretty fun, as there's fluctuating prices throughout the day and stuff that you can take advantage of if you don't want to pay money into the game. Additionally, pay2win seems really hard to pull off in this game, since you kinda have to do a shitton of grinding to upgrade stuff to endgame levels anyway.The amount of money you'd have to spend to get enough fusion cores without grinding is kinda silly. (250+ cores required to upgrade useful mods, a pack of 3 cores costs roughly 5 USD, i think)

My only real issue with the game is that some time-limited weapons are significantly better than the regular versions in terms of raw stats, but are completely impossible to get if you weren't at the right place at the right time. This is particularly an issue when people who own those weapons quit the game, and that stuff is lost seemingly forever. The good thing about playing console is that you get a month or two of warning before this stuff comes out, so you can prepare in advance to pick it up, but it still feels like a flawed system. RNG can also be a bitch sometimes, but the trading mitigates that somewhat.

The cost of the pay2play currency is fairly reasonable, since you can do a lot on the lower end by trading around and playing the market, but the large purchases aren't really worth it. The best value is the 80$ prime access that comes with every update, but that requires that you spend, ya know, 80$.

As a final note, the community seems to be full of in-jokes and silly comics. The consistent devstreams are reassuring too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7_hToIg2AU

I am here to say that I APPROVE OF THIS GAME. I also think I mentioned it in the destiny thread, but whatever. I can always find more shit to say about destiny.

I'm still playing Destiny. The annoying chase for the loot I want, and the recent release of new DLC, encourages me to go back every weekend. I'm still sitting on several new games because I can't stop playing Destiny.* Oh, and the Reddit community's pretty good too. Nice vids, neat content, occasional sob stories, all the works.

I've seen videos, and Warframe does have appealing gameplay, I admit. But at the same time, it's been a while since I *haven't* been playing Destiny, so a lot of games that aren't Bungie shooters are starting to lure me back from this addiction.

*Not a paid advertisement.

I'm still playing Destiny. The annoying chase for the loot I want, and the recent release of new DLC, encourages me to go back every weekend. I'm still sitting on several new games because I can't stop playing Destiny.* Oh, and the Reddit community's pretty good too. Nice vids, neat content, occasional sob stories, all the works.

I've seen videos, and Warframe does have appealing gameplay, I admit. But at the same time, it's been a while since I *haven't* been playing Destiny, so a lot of games that aren't Bungie shooters are starting to lure me back from this addiction.

*Not a paid advertisement.

I understand the addicting nature of it, but I got thoroughly annoyed by a lot of stories about behind-the-scenes stuff and didn't wanna bother anymore. It's kinda nice having free time to play whatever I want, instead of being the RNG's bitch.

Unless this is all sarcasm and I can't really tell. In which case, CONTINUE.

PvP in Destiny isn't bad, as long as you've got gear you like. Only problem is getting the gear, but once you have it, the pvp's fun.

Warframe hasn't come out of beta yet, to my knowledge, but if you were referring to the transition from closed to open beta, then I've heard that the game used to be a lot simpler and much more boring at first.

• 3 months later...

Wanted to come by and talk to myself a bit about small updates in warframe.

So, they've started to re-release some of the event-exclusive items, which is nice for people that weren't able to get them, but they're being re-released in events. So still sucks for people that missed out/didn't know/took a break. But if you pay attention, you can eventually pick up on things you missed out on.

There was a miserably boring/shitty event a few weeks ago with a huge backlash against it and tons of players taking a break from the game afterwards. The devs went on a stream to acknowledge that, and the next event was much less of a hassle and had fuckhuge rewards, so that's nice. A lot of free stuff/new items released recently, which is also nice.

The archwing thing is still kind of empty and boring, especially since you have to play archwing to grind for archwing-specific mods and upgrades.

They released a raid, which is nice. They announced that a new raid is coming and will involve space stuff, which I look forward to, though I hope it doesn't require that I have a fully upgraded archwing.

A lot of the new updates are focused on revamping/balancing the PvP mode, which was actually pretty fun when I tried it. Only problem is that the amount of stuff you can use in PvP is very limited, so you have to wait for things to be re-balanced so they can be added to PvP. Thankfully, PvP and PvE are entirely separate, so you don't have to worry about something being unbalanced in multiplayer and then becoming nerfed into the ground and temporarily useless for co-operative play.

Many of the rewards that people commonly grind for were shuffled around and spread out to encourage people to play different levels, but it hasn't really worked yet and the devs say they intend to rework the missions/rewards system in the next major update. So hopefully that's good.

So, the game had a really dark period where things seemed bleak, and then it picked back up again and things started to improve, which is nice. On a side note, maybe I should've posted this about a week ago when there were two overlapping events with easy missions and giant rewards.

There's a shitton more weapons and some new frames/levels. If you like being a space ninja, then play it so you can do whatever you like. The main problem people have is trying super hard to grind to endgame, but there's a lot of stuff to collect and fuck around with. There's also raids now which are cool and PvP is a lot more fun. You really need to find a person or two to play with so that you can get to whatever you need to find faster, otherwise it can be confusing/overwhelming/frustrating.

you could always just use rhino and stomp everything if you feel like it

edit

also excal is getting new powers they're removing super jump 4th power will be 3rd and new ultimate that gives you energy sword that shoots lasers or something

Edited by Socrates

excalibur's getting changed soon. blind and javelin benefit from different mod combinations, so you'll be using one or the other more often than both together. blind also gets the awesome mod that makes all blinded enemies vulnerable to finishing attacks for stupid damage now. javelin is just damage. good when you need instant damage against stuff like infested.

Slash-dash will supposedly target and hit individual enemies in a sequence instead of being a bland forward attck.

super jump is getting taken out.

blind will become his new 2 ability, with javelin getting nerfed and changed to a 3.

new fourth ability involving some sort of super-powered etheral sword.

I didn't say "I don't know what Excalibur's skills do and what they are used for."

The blind is cheaper and it scales way better into endgame because it's effectiveness is not based on damage. To say it sucks is incredibly naive.