The Ravens' Voice - Armored Core Podcast

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the sticky!

To The OB Express: Zealous linked those on the first post of this topic. It was about a month ago though, so here they are again.

Email us @ ravensvoiceacl@gmail.com

Post to us @ www.armoredcorelegacy.com (TRV category is in the ACL media section)

Or, really you can post here in this thread if you’d like. For the foreseeable future, we intend check all of our topic threads on the various AC Community forums, as well as plug the upcoming shows in them.

A website and FB page are forthcoming, and blame for those not being up yet goes solely to me. I’m about to move and start a new job, so I’ve put those on hold until that has settled.

As for commenting on YouTube. Listeners can post on our YouTube channel, which is only 1 click away. I don’t foresee us opening up comments on specific videos, for the reason that have been posted numerous times here and elsewhere, and now discussed on our show.

Since this is my first time posting here. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the interest in the show, and thanks for the comments, positive and negative.

UA with no hangars is one of the better bans in LR. It doesn't affect the game that much at all and allows for more diversity in the cores. In fact LR core diversity is very good. Edited by The OB Express

Again, thank you guys so much for the feedback, topic pinning, nachos, and everything in between! We're going to continue to mold this content into what the community deserves, so thanks for pushing us to give this our best. While I'm at it, let me take a second and give you all a heads up for this week's episode:

In addition to answering your emails and posts, this week’s show will be focused on our community. We recognize that this a topic we tend to tread upon in a general sense, but the events that have transpired within the last week certainly deserve a spotlight. We'll be discussing the good, the bad, and the ugly sides of communities past and present, along with hopes for our future.

The podcast will be posted 8/9 at:

http://www.youtube.c.../RavensVoiceACL

Thanks and peace out!

P.S. Hey TM, I'd like to hear more about your direct experiences with UA hangars in LR sometime. Oddly enough, this core never seemed to achieve mass popularity from the competitive base of players in the Midwest days...I'm not sure why I didn't see it on Kai more during 06' // 07' kai season either, because I'm very aware of how capable the core is. Oh, love the avatar btw.

Edited by Zealous

Don't know which core them at mwm would use outside of UA honestly, haha.

Pocket handguns are really good in last raven, especially since you can build entire ACs out of running with an AP lead and throwing verts and other missiles at them a match while using 4x handguns or other lightweight weapon combos to keep your speed up.

What disallowing hangars in UA directly does is give a chance to U4, which is the default core to use outside of UA if you want hangars. It also affects U2 and UL to a lesser extent as well-- as well as nearly every other core in the game because the reward of running UA core with the option of hangars underneath is very good. Looking at my garage I think I'd run UA with 5/10 of my bots if I could hangar guns with it. As of now I only run UA on one bot.

Of the 10 bots in LR I got I use 9 different cores.

Edited by The OB Express

I have sent you an email regarding the issue you create by not allowing YouTube comments. I think it's cleared how the majority of Pilots feel about this. You are 4 years too late. Facebook and YouTube dominate the conversation and drive user engagement. Forums are a dying novelty, luring users away from YouTube or Facebook is futile.

Right, and you also said ACU should have gone bust by now, yet it's pushing for year 4. The problem with your line of thought on this is that Facebook, Youtube (comments), Twitter, etc. really only allow for quick blurbs and short discussions. When you do get something of substance going on them, those discussions can be hard (if not impossible) to track down later. They also suffer the issue of having to carve out a niche worse than a larger site like, for example, GameFAQs, does. While you've been looking to FB and YT as member hubs, the people who play and and talk about the games have been looking for actual forums.

I think most of us welcome the ACL perspective, and wish these guys the best. Cleric and Zealous (among others) have been with it through thick and thin, so they've definitely got the dedication to succeed. Between that and providing content...yeah, I'd say they've got the right track laid out. They know what the community wants because they're actively involved and in touch with it.

I think I've babbled enough. Good work so far guys. Keep it up.

Edited by Keanushiro

Could you guys please not spend the first hour of your podcasts using recycled intros, armored core 5 talk and plugging of events? I see it might be becoming a recurring theme, where for example the part restriction podcast was half ac5 talk and when you finally got to the restriction part I feel as if you barely scratched the surface. You could have gotten much more specific and discussed many more part bans through many more games, instead it was 2/3s talk of just the mg800-- one part out of many. I'd be ok with this if you labeled individual parts of your podcasts as such, but when I'm listening through an hour of crap that I don't even care for-- like ac5--wondering when the topic of the week starts, I get a little annoyed. Maybe an even better idea is to just have separate videos where you do all the email responding and event plugging then and there, so you keep the topics of the weeks pure.

Also Zealous if you're in need of a mic I will buy one and send it to you if nothing else. I get the sense that you tried to fix your levels with it but in doing so you amplified the air and background noise around you. Not to mention it's still overly sibilant.

Oh wow, this is a real thing.

I haven't listened to the backlog yet, but I'm already offput by the vibe you guys are putting out in this episode. You act as if you didn't abandon the community for somewhere around 8 years. If you're wondering why everyone here is so hostile to you, it's because nobody has ever fucking heard of you, except in occasional legends, and you manifestly know nothing about the current, or even near-past, community. I appreciate your attempt to return things to the golden age, to the community I loved, but that is not your audience anymore; no one knows who you are or why they should care. And I, for one, don't appreciate your glossing over the dark ages. You can't just post things in audio format and make up for a decade of absence.

As TM mentioned it would be helpful to have separate videos or marked sections to indicate specific subject matter. It can get pretty frustrating sifting through hours worth of dialogue to find what is advertised as the official topic.

while we are at it

when i listened to the fa discussion i got the feeling that no one in the podcast had played every reg enough to remember anything about each reg. some shit like 1.1 was mentioned as extremely fast, when it was slower than ac4, and people running cookie cutter designs throughout the games lifespan, despite the fact that reg 1.4 had a sizable amount of diversity at the casual and competitive level (not to mention the bias in the 1v1 metagame towards heavier ACs and tanks). there was not a drop of in-depth discussion; it was a circlejerk of people who disliked FA because of 1.2 lag bladers. any FA player worth his salt knows that the biggest problem with FA in 1.4 wasnt the volume of cookie cutter ACs, but a metagame that leaned towards rock-paper-scissors design and a game that favored design over mechanics. i could probably name 7 different archetypal AC designs that came from the 1.4 era alone.

good discussions about FA would be things like the controversy of the use of aim-assist or if NSS legs should be banned from 1.4 competitive play to further promote diversity. as an FA player, i dont want to hear people beat a dead horse to death by bitching about FA lag as if it made the game unplayable. FA has the largest stigma against it because of regulation 1.2, which was admittedly a cookie cutter lagfest, but by 1.3 and 1.4, so much of that had changed (although it didnt matter because people like yourselves had already given up on any serious intention for FA)

its ok to not know much about a game, but pretending to have played the game seriously for longer than a year and then dedicating half a podcast to it is not acceptable

i have to agree with alot of what has been said here. i dont like listening to a bunch of acv stuff and responses just to get to the ADVERTISED topic (what i came for). if u want to keep that stuff there, then please mark sections in the video so that i can simply go to the video and click for that section and go do other stuff while listening. now, i think that for the responses section u should at least list who u r responding (in order) to so that we know if u said something to a post 1 of us made or an email, etc.

also, if u guys dont know much about something, ASK about it and dont try and make it seem that u do know a lot about it if u dont.

yeah, pretty much everything i have to say has been said already.

Oh wow, this is a real thing.

I haven't listened to the backlog yet, but I'm already offput by the vibe you guys are putting out in this episode. You act as if you didn't abandon the community for somewhere around 8 years. If you're wondering why everyone here is so hostile to you, it's because nobody has ever fucking heard of you, except in occasional legends, and you manifestly know nothing about the current, or even near-past, community. I appreciate your attempt to return things to the golden age, to the community I loved, but that is not your audience anymore; no one knows who you are or why they should care. And I, for one, don't appreciate your glossing over the dark ages. You can't just post things in audio format and make up for a decade of absence.

Am I missing the second part of the podcast? You're acting as if you already watched the part that deals with the community.

Also, I have an idea. If you guys want to answer user emails and questions, then how about only answering the questions for the current topic of the week? Just like radio-talk shows. You discuss your topic, take calls or questions regarding said topic, and discuss those questions as means to add to your current conversation. This podcast has so far been 70% AC5 20% topic of the week 10% plugging AC and other events.

Edited by The OB Express

Haven't heard it yet, but no matter the negative comments or what people say, just keep doing your thing. As long as you keep in a positive and constructive tone and evolve the format, you will always have an audience.

I like the idea of an Armored Core podcast. I would change the format and a few things but I think it's a work in progress and we shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Stay motivated and keep doing these podcasts.

Edited by Hustler One

Haven't heard it yet, but no matter the negative comments or what people say, just keep doing your thing. As long as you keep in a positive and constructive tone and evolve the format, you will always have an audience.

Yeah, they fucking blasted your convention. You should probably listen to the podcast to hear what they had to say.

Yeah, they fucking blasted your convention. You should probably listen to the podcast to hear what they had to say.

Wow what why would they do that? The convention is a community event... I have supported their podcast and being an advocate for their efforts from the beginning. That blows.

Edited by Hustler One

Wow just heard the last 8 minutes of it. You know, ALL THESE COMPLAINS were fixed a few days ago, if you had these complaints, the responsible thing to do as the COMMUNITY we are, was for you guys to email me or contact me first about them, not blast it publicly like you just did on the same podcast I have supported and helped you advertised from the beginning.

I'm sorry, I just unsubscribe and I won't be featuring your negative tone on any channel I own.

Edited by Hustler One