Controls: What do you use and why?

Type B default.

Edit: As for why, there's no real reason. I stuck to it and couldn't change to type A even though I will admit type A has advantages over type B if mastered. I played around with changing left hand weapon to triangle as well but muscle memory from the PS1 games and all the titles prior to NX just doesn't allow that to feel right.

Edited by Crimson Fury

There really is no advantage to Type A that I know of besides being able to use Urchin on a whim. Decoys and ECM have always been pretty easy to switch to, fire, and switch back out of since they have a low reload time. Rockets are easier to use too, but still silly. Idk any other advantages it might have. Twitching is a lot harder on Type A. Dual wielding is relatively easy with a custom Type B, too. I'm pretty sure that Type B has better lockbox auto-control built into it too in NX-LR. I'd have to test it again sometime because it's been years since I messed with that on LR, but I recall the auto-adjustment of the lockbox when an enemy enters your lockbox was significantly better than Type A. I remember TM noticing that too when he played around with it on Type B.

For the OFFICIAL ACU RECORD though, I use default Type B in AC1-SL and a highly customized Type A in NX-LR. I've found it pretty easy to switch between the two. My problem comes from when I haven't played AC at all in a long while. If that happens I somehow mix them both up in my brain and everything goes wrong until I've had like 3-4 hours to play on both.

There really is no advantage to Type A that I know of besides being able to use Urchin on a whim.

that's a major advantage tho tbh urchin is fkn strong when you don't have to give up a spot on ur rotation for it

especially cuz the urchin reload doesn't fk with ur r arm gun in type a

i have a way harder type rotating to stuff like decoys in this game than in SL

also handling the lockbox is easier in a than b for most people, thats why everyone i played with switched, less buttons and its more intuitive relative to how other games are made now

type a has way easier type dropping weapons iirc as well, u dont gotta input konami code just to toss off ur rm3 lol

Edited by YUNG ADULT CONTEMPORARY

I ran a customized type b that I developed from ac3. Since ac3 introduced left arm guns, I wanted to dual wield weapons with relative ease.

I ran type b with l1 for main weapon and r1 for left weapon, with square for strafe left and circle to strafe right. I ran with that all the way through a year or two with kai, then I finally decided I wanted to switch over to a. It was a relatively good control layout for me, except that I could only drop my extensions and left arm weapon, I couldn't drop my main weapons. Type a has its obvious benefit of being able to use insides on a whim as well. I dunno about urchin being the main reason to use a. I much rather have the ability to pop decoys at any time with a tank or slower ac than using urchins. It makes using a tank much more fun.

The transition from b to a was long and painful. It took maybe about 3-4 months total. There were periods where I would give up on a for a day or two. Keep in mind I was already playing well on kai, so trying to play a completely new layout vs other people was torture.

Now I use a modified type a, which is similar to a layout I think yaka used to run. I have l1 for main weapon and l2 for left weapon, with r1 as boost. Overall it's a better control layout than b, but I've noticed that although my tracking is just as good on a than b, my actual lockbox micro-management is shaky and twitchy on a in comparison to b. I played with a certain solidity on b that I've never been able to play with a. Probably has to do with my thumbs just not being good enough to micromanage those joysticks compared to using 4 fingers on b.

Edited by The OB Express

ya the extra buttons are at least better for like fine motor control at least at first

if you get good enough with it tho even that advantage kind of disappears

yaka archangel franko etc all proved that i'm sure owen did as well and if there was anyone else good on kai that used type a

It's an analog vs digital thing that might take a bit of getting used to, because the fine management handles differently. Also I think the box naturally moves opposite of your strafe on B whereas A you gotta move both sticks to accommodate. Sometimes that's not so good though for B.

Anyways, extra button leniency and instant insides with better drops are the main reasons to go A. I'd list dual wielding but that's something B users have either gotten used to or found workarounds via mods etc, although I guess that also gets lumped in to the button leniency category as well.

I used Type B from AC2 to NX. I quit when NB came out and only played LR long enough to get all the parts. I tried playing with Type B two weeks ago and it felt unconformable, but familiar. I decided to give Type A a go because I had been playing a lot of FPS and TPS games since the release of NB, and it felt as awkward as Type B. The horizontal plan control is fine. The vertical plan control is a complete bitch because I had never played a game where I actively need to aim up and down. Since both control schemes are equally weird, I decided to keep Type A because I like to throw out decoys at the second's notice.

As for my control scheme (off top of my head):

L1: Boost

L2: Inside (so I can pop a decoy or Urchin instantly)

R1: Right Weapon (better for dual wielding)

R2: Left Weapon (better for dual wielding)

Triangle: Swap Equipment

Square: Drop Weapon

X: Center Camera

Circle: Not Used

Left Analog: Extension + Movement

Right Analog: OB + Camera

D-Pad: Not Used

This config feels most comfortable to me and it took me a solid week to get the muscle memory down.

Edit: I forgot to add. The concept of boosting in Type A is also pretty hard, which emphasizes my point about the vertical plane. The most you get out of FPS and TPS games are jumps. AC is unique in the you can really control in all three dimensions due to boosters. The fact that I have the ability to control horizontal and vertical in terms of movement, and have to aim accordingly, it gives a very unique experience compared to other games I have played before. I think if you were to convert from Type B to Type A, that is the first issue you will notice, even with FPS/TPS experience.

Edited by Honest Frank

• 8 months later...

I'd used to be TYPE-B guy at first, and then I'd tried to customize by mixed between A and B for first step to learned TYPE-A.....after that I can use default TYPE-A easily.

so I'd pick TYPE-A for this. (and then I'd realize....I can't played TYPE-B anymore)

edit : why I choose "A" over "B"? cuz' NX-LR was dual guns fighting, that's why.

Edited by Taurus

• 3 months later...
Well, I'm moving to Type A. Here are my preliminary findings: I used to stick to the ground but now I'm flying a lot more. I feel like this transition may change my playstyle, lol. I already feel like my energy management has gotten better since I'm not having my thumb over the boost button the entire match.

The transition is way easier so far than I expected. Vertical tracking is actually a thing I can do now, so I guess that contributes to my massive amount of flying compared to before. Default Type-A is bad, but a few edits and I have what I like. Before, I had boosting and shooting to my right thumb. I feel like separating those functions has helped me a LOT with energy management and fire control.