Last Raven is hard, any tips? Playstyles? Builds?

sheep99

I finished Silent Line and thinkt it's much harder than Master of Arena, now Last Raven, it's much harder than SL. What should I do such in Arenas? I know some basics such as circling and bunny hopping. I used to fight easily with machine guns, but here, they have recharge so not as efficient. Also, I'd like to know a few common builds and play styles and knowing why heavy arms got less recoil reduction than light arms while it's the opposite back in SL; do I get it right?

Download 100% save file on gamefaqs. Easy way to beat game.

Otherwise you can go Shade and WH01HP for your arms with WH01HP and Wraith for your hangars. Light and agile is better in Last Raven, but you can still stay light while using heavier parts for better defense by not using back weapons. UA core is really good if you don't already have that.

Use heavy mid legs if you like heavies, the S3 legs are gorgeously buff. Shade will beat the game with ease, everyone is right. I used a build like Shade/69h or blade depending on the mission/starter missiles/gaea core and like macaque, cougar 2 legs and any of the good heads with radar, high ecm and bio sensor. Also relation missiles rm3 or Gar. For normal missions shade and gaea win, and for missions with ACs shade and gaea does the job, toss in a couple supported missile volleys and its GG.

SHADE is one of the few weapons that has the distinction of being fantastic in both human vs and missions.

I mostly went with the Pixie3 and a handgun. Even with the recharge time it's still a good weapon, and the WRAITH or other variations of handgun will usually give you a bit more attack power without sacrificing load capacity. As for other weps, I just splurged on micro missiles. KINNARA and KARURA are best for that.

I tried the parts that has WH01HP and SHADE on them. I may have picked the wrong ones, they have weak stats, I'll recheck again. The other parts; I seem to already equipped most of them. I used the 1600+ damage bazooka and get a high aiming arm, get a lock-on widener and it eased significantly. I took almost an hour trying to beat Toothpick in the arena, finally got him.

I'll clarify that in SL, I don't know what arm recoil does. In LR, both light and heavy arms can have great "aiming".

When I fight ACs that fly alot, I don't aim up, I just wait for them to come down and keep mid to long range distance so they don't go out much off the lock-on square. Is that good? Are there really players that aim up alot? Sometimes, I do air-air against a flyer.

Edited by sheep99

All the really good players can basically fight normally while aiming entirely up. You can usually tell if a player is good or not if you see them bothering to aim up during PvP matches.

For vs the computer it's different, it's easier to look up vs a lot of the computer opponents because they're repetitive in their movements and very predictable. It's the erratic moves of other players that's hard to look up and track.

Bazookas aren't so good in Last Raven, both PvP and PvE. Shade should be your go-to option for smaller enemies, and kinnara back missiles with rm3 extensions for slower enemies and pulverizers.

that's pretty much true yeah

there's a lot more to being good than knowing how to look up and down, but there's almost no way you could be worth anything without proficiency in that skill

in pvp anyways, like owen said

against computer you don't ever need to look up lol u can just aim straight and move sideways and stuff and be fine

I better do it then. Do I have to vertical aim constantly, such as aiming up when enemy's on the air and back in front again when they land?

watch videos on youtube of people playing, well good people playing not the bad ones

for now I'd focus on just getting your full file 136% or w/e the complete % is for LR.

• 1 month later...

Bazookas aren't so good in Last Raven, both PvP and PvE. Shade should be your go-to option for smaller enemies, and kinnara back missiles with rm3 extensions for slower enemies and pulverizers.

I have to disagree, they're not as good as in NX/NB, but they're still pretty usable - you have to work a bit harder than with rifles or SHADE though.

LR on the whole is a game where it's harder to get a definitive haymaker in, generally. There's a few exceptions, but here's a quick summary of what that means.

Heavies can work, I played one. If you use a heavy there's a few things to remember.

- go with arms on the lighter end of the heavy scale, don't use the super heavy ones

- your choice of guns is critical

- use a heavy core, SELENA and the heavy no-OB hangars one are probably best

- avoid using much weight for back weapons

- best Left guns are GRIFFON, the super heavy BZ, or HP/WRAITH (boost lock size)

- best Right BZs are the black one and the super heavy BZ

Heavy Tactics

I used to use the RM36 missiles and GRIFFON at the same time to make dodging harder and give GRIFFON a bigger and easier lockbox to work with, with some careful SELENA EO thrown in if the opponent got close. (be careful you don't use too much energy then get hit with overheats) GRIFFON had good accuracy for LR. The combination usually got pretty good damage before running dry, then I'd dump both for a bigger BZ lockbox and some added speed. Then you either pick ranged shots with the BZ (super heavy one with lots of ammo) or use the BZ and SELENA together in closer ranges.

Not a top tier setup, but worked pretty decent overall. Stick with the BZs if you're running a heavy and like big guns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjyvDOOg26s

Most people recommend SHADE in general due to its accuracy and better damage and damage rate than rifles, plus it cuts through shell def. I made a Gundam AC that was basically just a bunch of shell def (although I picked parts to look like a Gundam - shields typically aren't worth the weight) and the SHADE and it was half decent in VS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdsUtWh8E8Y

The black BZ is better on ACs that have a bit more mobility, the super heavy one is better for heavier ACs, quite a bit more accurate with more ammo depth, but not quite as good at damage racing. Here's a video of me using the black BZ on a mid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_L7nHTfkpE

HP are best HGs, they have high power for HGs, pretty big stun, bigger lockbox, accuracy, and high damage rate for minimal weight. Plus in the Left hand they boost other lockbox sizes.

Sounds to me you prefer big guns so I'd go with the BZs.

Edited by Desert Fox

shade is hands down the best gun in LR

you can pretty much beat any other design with just that gun

I get where Owen is coming from on saying bazookas aren't good in LR, he's mostly right except for 2 bazookas: bp and b2

bp is like top 5 weapons in the game

b2 is a solid weapon

the rest of the bazookas are wild bad

@sheep 99 : see a lot of matches replay and a lot of designs...and then much thinking, much pilot training, and tried PvP sometimes, since this topic has been went so far from the start so this is my little tips to you.

edit : for my personal favorite weapon setup that possible to fight (with AI and PvP) is dual rifles/missile/RM3 (for bipes and RJs)...and...WR81G/HP/GL or GERYON/missile/RM3 (for quads and tanks)

Edited by Taurus

I dunno, in the video I'd say it's a relatively even fight, single SHADE vs the energy EOs and other dual guns LCC had.

SHADE is good in NB too, I had a max shell def mid that only used it and 2 WRAITH hangars, with FLEET to help dodging with the heavy frame - it could hold its own against most stuff pretty well.

I forget, was RS on par with SHADE in LR? It must've been close, but slowed down more by shell def and had bit smaller box. I don't even remember the top tier guns in LR. The ones that come to mind are SHADE, RS, HPs, GRIFFON, and the super heavy BZ. Some rifles were good too but I vaguely recall them being more like tier 2?

As for BZs, 2 viable BZs in LR are better than ALL garbage, like in AC1-SL.

Edited by Desert Fox

I'm not implying that every Bazooka isn't good in Last Raven, in fact I rank the BP very, very high in the overall scheme of handguns in Last Raven, see here: Last Raven Hand Weapon Tier Chart. Furthermore, a bot sporting BP ended up being the strongest of all the bots that entered me and LCC's fantasy duels.

What I am saying however, is that overall, when taken every Bazooka that's in the game, it's an overall weak weapon type. BP is hands down the best, and B2 and B3 are usable. I wouldn't even use those two either, because chances are if you can handle the ND lock of the 81G then you're better off with it. In fact the only time I think you should even use those two is if you're more comfortable with SP/WS lock compared to ND/WS lock (which can be a legitimate reason.)

Heavies-- or rather heavy frames-- can be very good in Last Raven. I do disagree with some of your design principles towards heavies though. One of the best arms in Last Raven is heavy (Lemur), you don't have to use lighter arms. We both agree on using UA and having next to no weight in back weapons. I don't agree with the BP on left being a good choice for a heavy. You want as much lockbox so you don't get bullied by lightweight rushers with high dps. Griffon is always good, yes; and using missiles with the Griffon for bigger lockbox is good too.

What kind of defense is your heavy running? I have a 'heavyweight' in Last Raven too, but it approaches in a more comical approach. It runs a light weapon setup with lots of ammo, but lacks punch. What it focuses on is gobs of defense (2400/1900).

I don't think the other bazookas are better than the BP in any circumstance. In fact I'd say BP is even better on ACs with mobility than on ACs without mobility. The 'heavyweight' of mine is actually fighting the lightweight BP AC that ended up being the strongest of the fantasy duel ACs me and LCC used. I think if you and LCC ever met again it'd be fun to have your heavyweight vs mine just for kicks, although I think mine isn't quite fast or high enough dps to really punish the slowness and small lockbox of yours.

Damnit LCC Valkyria Chronicles is a godly soundtrack.

Edited by POSTER X