Missile Boats, Quad & Other

Desert Fox

Well, I've been playing the old AC games and doing a little experimenting in SL.

Missile Boats

Among a few things that came up, SL missile boats might be somewhat viable, not top tier but maybe able to hold their own in casual play. (figuring no anti-designing as that could shut them down hard)

L Energy Shields

The L energy heat shield with 90 coverage is actually pretty decent for supertanks, but hard to use. Best way seems to be while using the LQ15 and trading shots at longer range, but managing when to keep it up and decent energy reserves is tricky.

WALL

The WALL solid shield is borderline usable if not on a megaheavy or supertank, since the coverage is only 50 and even then in play it seems like less. Still probably broken, but arguably ok for casual play if not exploited too heavily.

GREY KNIGHT

Armored mid, the original principle was max shell def and only the SHADE/XC90. (and hangars if applicable) The solid shields in SL are pretty broken but the WALL with only 50 coverage I'm going to run on it. In NB where the design came from, the arms have to be the shell def arms to minimize en drain, as it runs the FLEET/TP with NX/NB lower gen outputs and higher drains in general - here the drainier but more armored TIN will work fine. I'd have preferred a core AMS, but the options are more important. I don't OB much, just work the dodging with the FLEET. I thought maybe restricting WALL to EO cores might be a fix, but it's not.

CRUST

GROA

TIN

SRVT

FLEET

SRA02

ROZ

CR14

DD10

R: A10

L: -

R: XC90

L: WALL

Options

Screens, Stability, Turning, E++, RTE, CLPU

Color

CLEAR SKIES

RJ missile boat, I think it might be decent at holding its own, although its not top tier. Verts are for tank and heavy cracking.

SKYEYE

DHM68/04

MARE

ND8

ROZ

SA44

DD10

R36

HA40-8

VM36-4

Options

Screens, Stability, ECND, TRN, Lock Speed, Missile Jammer

Color

Light blue on white and darker blue

COWARD (working name)

VEN

RAY

DHM68/04

KRT

MARE

ND8

ROZ

SA44

DD10

R36

OC30

OC30

Options

Screens, Stability, TRN, E++, RTE, Radar Range

MANTIS

Shoehorned the RAY, LQ15 and GNL on the SEV, and only guns that fit are the HGs. Fast but flimsy, this AC is a bit hard to pilot as it's slim margins for error.

VEN

RAY

GALE

SEV

WS03

ROZ

SA44

DD10

R: LQ15

L: GNL15

R: HG80

L HGL100

Options

Screens, Stability, Turning, E++, En RoF, FCS

Color

Green

Left shields, particularly solid shields were pretty buff for all the nerd who couldn't adapt to a control scheme that let them dual-gun back in the day. Energy shields were honestly a bit too drainy, they should have axe'd the optional and made the drains a bit lower by default, then maybe they'd be fairly usable. Solid shields give you most of the goods with none of the energy use drawbacks, so they're pretty hard to beat.

Missile boating is kinda/sorta viable. The problem is anything quick with a competent player and maybe some deeks can just dance around while you waste your ammo. It's really viable to heavy investment in like dual back missiles + extensions or something on an aggro bot. I used to run a non-op tourny bot that was dual MG + dual back missiles + SL's RM3. Totally legit use, because you can use the dual back missiles to just OB into someone and fire close enough to make dodging missiles or dropping deeks pretty hard 2 do.

L solid shields were insane because they were designed for part breaking, even though they don't break... Speaking of which playing SL the other day I had my BZ30 get broken, hadn't remembered seeing that before. Plus the benefits are almost the same as L en shields with zero drain. The solid shields should have NX/NB style stats, with the en shields having unchanged SL stats with maybe 1/2 or 3/4 the drain usage.

Not sure how viable it is, but with the 90 coverage en shield you can trade shots using LQ15 until your en runs too low, then you have to try and figure out how to take the shield down without taking too much damage. Not sure how workable it is against a competent opponent, but it might have some feasibility. Cuts damage noticeably but not hit-brick-wall of defense.

Anyway it's fun to mess around with some of the old stuff and see if it's workable, or how broken it really was. WALL is pretty borderline, it's almost acceptable in my opinion unless on the already powerful designs. The block rate seems to be around 10-20% against the XC50 or LQ15, not sure if it's the same for all guns.

Edited by Desert Fox