The Queen's Beauty Pageant: 3rd Generation

Votes

(see below for Write-Ups)

1. Design 4: Omega
  2. Design 8: Muscle Chaser
  3. Design 15: SPACEBOI
  4. Design 2: Steggy
  5. Design 5: Huckleberry

So in the end I didn't change any votes. Huh. Nevermind. Thought I'd pity-balance my votes for SPACEBOI.

Edited by Siri

1 Tourette

i really like the concept and color use on this ac. usually tanks with weapon arms all look the same and are generally boring, but this ac makes it look like its something unique. theres a few things that add to the concept of making it look like a turret. the thin core waist, the lack of a definitive head, the difference in color schemes between the legs and the upper half, the symmetry, matching colors to the dual back units, and of course the 2 large barrels sticking out of it. the green and brown give it a strong military look, and red accents are always intimidating.

2 Steggy

HI MOM!

3 BLUE BALL Z

like, i really like this ac more than i feel like i should like it. its got MOA poster boy color scheme with klein head/core, but it still manages to have a unique look because of the arm and leg usage. props to the photographer too for bringing attention to the use of the shield along with the shoulder socket. i think tahts the main selling point for me on this ac, since its such a fantastic subtlety. besides that, the back weapons probably leave a little bit to be desired, although they dont exactly take away from the design.

4 Omega

yo this is like if you took the ac3 poster boy LW and injected it with steroids (in other words it aint original enough)

5 Huckleberry

this is a neat robit for sure, definitely looks like a kid robit much like huckleberry. blocky frame geometry and revolvers also add to the 1800s feel. i think theres enough paint here to excuse this robit of red/black, but a few things still bother me. the paint scheme on the core doesnt make enough use of the different segments on it, and the tan in the hands/head dont exactly work out with the white. if the white were a bit dirtier, itd work out alright. also, the designer was probably going for some sort of shirt/overalls/pants/flesh paint scheme.

6 DIVE OF THE PEGASUS

COME HEAVY OR NOT AT ALL

7 America Chikan

AMERICA TANK IS BETTER I MEAN YOU DIDNT EVEN PUT ANY EFFORT INTO PAINTING IT AMERICA FOR ALL I CARE THIS IS SOME SHITTY EUROPEAN/SOUTHEAST ASIAN COUNTRY

8 Muscle Chaser

neat frame and it definitely has an MT feel, but the paint is so atrociously executed that i am apprehensive to give it credit. yeah, the shoulders are a staple part of the frame, but they just dont work with the red/black (which is kinda pathetic since its real hard to fk up red/black). sure it kinda works since the salmon pink bridges the gap between the light blue and the burgundy, but the whole paint scheme shouldve been either a ligher paint scheme that matched the blue, or different shoulder units to match the red/black. it stands out but not in a good way.

9 D-A-D

the frame is incredibly strong on this ac, since all the parts do well in matching each other. the paint matchign on the frame and the ETTINs makes them look like part of the frame, and altogether the ac gives off a very intimidating feel. while the paint was well done, i feel like it couldve been more aggressive or imposing to match the feel of the frame. although, if it were any more aggressive, itd probably end up red/black and aint nobody got time fo dat

10 Eleven

ELEVEN STANDS FOR ELEVENTH PLACE WHICH ISNT EVEN TRUE SINCE ID PROBABLY RATE IT AS LIKE LAST PLACE IT DOESNT EVEN DESERVE TO HAVE TWO ONES WHICH IS MORE THAN 1 1 I MEAN ITS NOT EVEN BAT #11 IN THE CONTEST FUCK YOU LS

11 Akimbo Avelyn

THIS AC IS WORTHY OF HAVING TWO ONES except fk the lakers. i really like the weapon and leg choice on this ac, as well as the head/core/arm/extension choice, but i feel like the top half of the ac (excluding the avelyns) would benefit from being changed. the back units could be changed as well, since my biggest gripe with this ac is the conflict between the arm/shields and the back units (second biggest gripe is fk the lakers)

12 Interloper

it looks a bit bland and chaotic, but i think thats why i like this ac. the main thing that helps this robit is the neon orange accent thats present on a lot of the parts, and then after that its a chaotic jumble of different shades of browns, grays, and blacks. this color salad is also what makes the bot weak however, since theres no real cohesive color scheme to it. i think frame part choice couldve been better, mostly in the leg department. different legs would make this ac look much better, since this ac is all over the place in terms of geometry as well.

13 SUGAR WALLS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8WZ-Ba-gps

and as far as the actual robit goes its basically a red jack-o so it sucks and it really hasnt taken me somewhere i havent been 0/10

14 ThoseNatGeos

wtf this is shit

15 SPACEBOI

eh i guess its cool

16 BIRD

BIRD

17 Gugnir

you get no gold stars for effort

18 HYADES

you also get no gold stars for effort

19 Bowflex

red/black? red/black! this ac couldve been a helluva lot cooler if it didnt have red/black. although to be honest it does go along with the concept of DYEL gym rats since im pretty sure if they made an ac itd be red/black. frame also somehow magically fits with the concept of a workout machine in ac form. its ok i guess

20 Crate

FUCK YOU LS YOU JUST REPLACED THE HEAD OF THE SL POSTER BOY WITH ITS OWN SPIRITUAL PRECURSOR THAT WAS THE SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR OF THE SPIRITUAL PRECURSOR OF THE SL SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR

21 Shit & Tie

90 is a lazy faggot

They won't show because the number of images goes over the per post forum limit. Niji either needs to raise it again later or they need to come up with a different post format.

Voters can at least use the topic on Raven Republic to see a clean post for now though.

oh okay, thanks man

----

First:

Design 5

Name: Huckleberry

Game: Last Raven

http://i.imgur.com/wDldYNt.jpg

Second:

Design 4

Name: Omega

http://i.imgur.com/aJSLyre.jpg

Third:

Design 9

Name: D-A-D

http://i.imgur.com/oNdyrQF.jpg

This third generation has been turbocharged compared to last contest, with over 20 entrants—a lot of which are really solid. I don’t consider it as strong as Generation 2, though.

1 Tourette

This is a pretty straightforward idea and execution. It also does a decent job of pulling off an aesthetic that’s somewhat different compared to a normal tank AC. Seeing this made me think of the Magella attack tanks from Gundam Universal Century because of its green colors and turret that tapers down into the caterpillar legs. The Yasya on the back could also come off as ammo crates to feed the main cannons, or possibly even fuel canisters that feed two flamethrowers. I like the careful attention to mask the head as well. This tank might have been even more interesting if other tank legs were used. I’m also not too sure about the tank treads.

2 Steggy

The legs are the central focal point of this AC, with a very plate-heavy appearance that does parallel closely to a Stegosaurus. The color scheme is very Earthly as well, matching the overal theme pretty well. The angling of the shoulders of the arms works well with the dual back radars, and the core does a decent job of adhering to the plated look of this design. What’s giving me problems however, is the head choice, which comes off as too round compared to the rest of the AC. I don’t think the hand weapons fit too well with the overall look, and I also think that there could have been potential for some of the orange accents on the back radars to be incorporated into the framed.

3 BLUE BALL Z

This AC has a great appearance to it, sporting a combination of a buff look with huge but streamlined arms, a cool and collective dark blue and black color scheme with elegantly contrasting orange detailing, and clever use of repitition in the form of the shoulder extension sockets mirroring with the left arm shield, plus the perforated and mechanical barrel of the shotgun mirroring the perforated barrel of the linear gun on the back-right side. At first glance I was quick to turn a cold shoulder to this entrant, but on second glance, it’s all these subtle and clever decisions that makes it very strong overall, in this way it parallels very closely with Lone Stranger in the 2nd generation topic; great looking AC.

4 Omega

This AC strikes a gorgeous look that’s very similar to the two covers Mirage ACs of Armored Core 3, which is perhaps not a coincidence. Armored Core 3’s opening CG is my favorite of the entire Armored Core franchise of games, with the best background music, the best editing, and the best armored core action in any of the intros. Omega takes the best of the heavier and lighter Mirage ACs and combines them into one: the bulky and intimidating shoulders of the heavyweight AC, with the dual orbits on the back; the core and legs make up the signature looks of the sleeker lightweight. I love the use of the white detailing on the arms and core, and how they coordinate with the white weapons and legs. The use of the lighter red to highlight this AC give the red paint a very dimensional complexion to it. Other decisions like using different sniper rifles keep this AC from becoming too symmetrial to the point of boredom.

5 Huckleberry

I personally can’t draw any meaning from the name in regards to the look of the AC, but I do like the overall feel of this AC. The paint job is very well executed, with just the right balance of orange and brownish detailing to break up the otherwise mundane red, black and white coloring. I also like the decision to differentiate the arms and legs by using different color schemes. This elaborate and completely balanced paint job is very much like Two-Step in the 4th generation topic. Finer details like the gears in the knee joints of the legs mirroring with the gears in the lower part of the core make this AC so engaging to look at, that I wish it had more of that type of dynamic to it. Perhaps arms that had visible pistons to mirror the pistons in the front of the legs, or back units that mirror the rudimentary and boxy look of the arms and core.

6 DIVE OF THE PEGASUS

Dive of the Pegasus—excuse me, DIVE OF THE PEGASUS, comes off as a very bold entrant that demands as much attention as it can get. The massive shoulders and round core give it a very masculine and intimidating appearance, and the extremely thin nature of the legs further emphasize the upper body’s bulk. The Cricket head has always come off as one of the most intimidating looking heads in the series as well. The liberal use of hard-hitting grenade launchers adds to the flamboyant nature of the look. While the masculine and loud appearance of this AC is all well and good, I’m not too sure if I like the contrast between the boxy geometry of the legs and the curvy apperanace of the upper body. The paint job is troublesome to me as well. While it does give an almost phoenix flame type of quality to the AC, I feel as if more attention to detailng and experimenting with different colors for different body parts could make it better.

7 America Chikan

This might be my least favorite of the Chikan series in this contest. While a lot of the Chikans come off as uninspiring, I feel this tops that particular aspect. The colors don’t really match up well with the USA flag, while back units seem randomly slapped on, clashing with the red of the frame. The back units however do a decent job of balancing out the boxy aesthetic of the legs with the rounded core, arms and legs. The choice of legs and head puzzle me as well. The Oryx legs, as can be seen on ThoseNagGeos, look much more like bird legs, with long talons and a more organic look. With a leg switch and a little tweak of the colors—with perhaps way less white—I think this AC would be way stronger in its overall idea.

8 Muscle Chaser

This is a very unique looking AC, in all my years of last raven I can’t say I’ve seen something like this off the top of my head. Given that this entrant looks more like an MT instead of an actual AC, I assume its name is a bit of play-on words. Beyond its uniquely boxy shape, I like the use of repitiiton in texture, from the diamond-plated sides of the arms, core and legs, to the repitition of the holes that can be seen on the back rockets, extensions, and ‘head.’ The paint job seems very balanced overall, and the blue of the extensions matches perfectly with the boxy. The burgandy plays nice with the blue overall, but I’m not too sure if I like the orange accents. The particular combination makes this AC look more plasticy and toyish as opposed to rugged metal. I think a different choice in the accent color would do very well.

9 D-A-D

This AC is certainly an eye-catcher. When I first saw it upon building it, I knew for sure that it would probably be one of my top contenders—and that’s saying something because it was the very first LR design I built for pictures. It’s the most intimidating and aggressive looking AC of the entire 3rd generation, and it pulls the look off very naturally, with impressive choices in frame parts that go very well together. Although the Rakan core is one of the lightest cores in Last Raven, its appearance meshes well with the heavy legs and arms, while the S2 head gives off a very disparaging gaze due to the downward slope of its shape. The arms blend well with the geometry of the Ettins, and make it look as if the Ettins are part of the frame itself. The pastel, earthly colors with pink detailing come off as an ironic contrast considering its overall masculine look and name, but that’s a plus in my book as well.

10 Eleven

Whatever asshole that made me download a SL rom and save file to build this deserves a lot of credit for being a troll. This AC looks as though it was built around the use of silent-line specific parts. The Crow extensions do come off as the most interesting aspect of this design, while the legs and arms give it a very forward-leaning nature, making it seem quick and aggressive. The shoulders of the arms mesh decently well with the top of the core, while the front tip of the core goes well with the rounded contours of the shins of the legs. The paint scheme, however, is too simple for my taste. It has a nice, warm tint overall that’s reinforced by orange detailing that matches the orange detailing of the extensisons, but I feel as though it could use more highlights and different coloring on different frame parts. I also feel there’s a lot of missed opportunity in the decision to not use back mounts.

11 Akimbo Avelyn

This is yet another interesting looking AC, something which I haven’t really seen before. I love the way the linear rifles play with the jutting wings of the hover legs, especially from the front view, which makes it look as if there’s four different guns pointing outwards from the AC. The paint has a very interesting combination of yellow and purple tha give it a somewhat royal appearanece; I also like how the color gradually fades from black to yellow going from top to bottom. The back units do a nice job of giving the otherwise front-heavy stature of this AC some visual balance, while the shield extensions give the shoulders of its arms an even wider appearance. In an entrant with so many unique qualities going for it, the decision to used reddish-pink detailing puts me off a little bit. I would have liked to see more experimentation there.

12 Interloper

What draws me the most to this particular AC is its Spirit right arm gun, and how it meshes with the paint of the head, and detailing of the rest of the frame and other weapons. Clever care was taken to match the red detailing of the Spirit, Funi and Plasma Cannon. The black and red head also stands out as a definitive trait of this AC’s appearance as well. All the frame parts work decently well together, with a balanced mixture of boxy and curved geometry. With the arms and head overall a bit darker than the core and legs, part of me also wishes the core was a little darker as well, so there would be more of a gradual gradation of color from top to bottom. With the way the core currently is, I think the transition is too abrupt. Perhaps if the core had some more gray of the same value as the Fenrir sniper rifle, then the paint would look a little more balanced.

13 SUGAR WALLS

A couple of the entrants from last contest had a very similar look and feel to them as SUGAR WALLS, with large and rounded parts, with large, bulky bazookas. This AC comes off as a large, thick seductress who’d probably knock you out in your sleep with her large bazookas and then take your money and run. I like the repitition of the kneecaps as they match with the exhaust ports on the top-back of the core. The extensions help reinforse the frame’s roundish shape, and the head looks intimidating as ever. I’m not too keen on the use of back-mounts. I think they should have been circular as well, to go with the rest of the upper body, perhaps one white harpy to go along with the sparce, white detailing that I was talking about earlier.

14 ThoseNatGeos

I really, really like the frame of this AC. The biggest selling point to me is definitely the Oryx legs, which are uniquely shaped and spikey. The core and arms mesh well with the legs, each having a very sleek and pointed build of their own. The head choice is a little weird, but doesn’t really take away from the overall look of the frame. The main detractors for me come from the weapons. The right arm sniper rifle has a totally different hue of blue than the frame, while the shotgun is too mechanical and boxy looking and clashes with the frame of the AC—although the brown of its handle matches well with the brown detailing on the frame. The back weapon and extensions look pretty decent. If the arm weapons were to be switched out, and the paint of the AC fine-tuned a bit to look a bit more interesting, this could be a very good-looking entrant.

15 SPACEBOI

This AC has an overall taper to its appearance: wide at the top and narrow at the bottom. The decision to use small handguns and shields instead of larger weapons really helps this AC’s tapered aesthetic. In particular, I like the look of the head next to the UA core, and I think the decision to use the 84m legs instead of other, more rounded legs was the correct choice. The shield on the left arm fits in nicely with the apperanace of the back units as well. I do not like the extensions too much though, I feel as if their coloring is a direct clash with the rest of the AC; the squarish solid sheild extensions might have gone better. I’m also not a fan of the paint in general, as I feel it’s far too simple, and lacking the type of colorful dynamism that would draw the wondering eye to any other entrant. At least give it a splash of a very saturated and loud color.

16 BIRD

This is the most successful Chikan themed AC in the contest, even though it’s not directly named Chikan. I still rather see the Oyrx legs, but the ones used here fit pretty well into the overall theme; they look both scaly and talony to boot, while being hilariously thick. The head and its paint do a great job of emulating a rooster’s head, very much like arena ranker Bremen in AC3’s AI arena. Just like American Chikan, the Lupus arms look much like a baby chick’s buddy, flapping wings as it’s trying to learn to fly. The extesions are a bit of an odd choice here, as I don’t really know what they’re trying to replicate. The color of the body is a natural bird-like color, but maybe it could have been redder to be more rooster-like. Overall I think it’s a good execution and aesthetic to a very limited idea.

17 Gugnir

I’m not sure what the name is trying to get at, so I’m assuming it’s just a horrible misspelling of the Norse god, Gungnir. Like Steggy, the legs strike me as the centerpiece of this AC’s aesthetics. Something about the very plated and hardlined nature of those legs make them stand out compared to all the rest of the legs in the game. I think the core choice is the best choice here to mesh well with the geometry of the legs, as it features the same repettive hard-edged appearance on its front as the legs do on their sides. The arms clash a bit aesthetically to me, and the off-red color of the laser blade irks me when it’s butted up against the orangish frame. The blue missile pack is a bit of an odd choic as well.

18 HYADES

I like the front-heavy stature of this AC, and its overeall pointedness, thanks to the tapered shoulders, core and lower legs. The tapered rifle and extesnison also add to the effect. The paint job comes off as uninspired, though. I think mostly black schemes can work, but in this particular instance I was left wanting more out of the paint. Perhaps there could have been some green trimwork that could have incorporated the extensions into the frame, because as it stands it seems like the extensions are not part of this AC. There might have been a better option for the head choice as well, perhaps something that’s more rounded to balance out the rounded legs. Tapered back-units would have been cool to see as well, to really emphasize the overall geometric theme that’s driving the apperance of this AC.

19 Bowflex

I think this is the only AC I remember reviewing so far that has had a description that goes along with it. The ACDC gave the option for descriptions, but this one is the only one to fully utilize one to help promote its idea. I hope that more entrants sport descriptions going forward into future ACDCs. As someone who puts in a lot of hours in the weightroom, I really enjoy the use of the Yasya backmounts here, as they really do look very much like a stack of weights that you’d see on a machine with pullies. The quad legs make it seem as if it’s some kind of transportable machine that can be set-up with foldable legs to anchor it. The paint scheme is nice too, taking the convintional and mundane red/black and giving enough dynamism to it through the use of white arms and a white head. Overall I really like it and enjoy the extra bit of effort put into it by making it not only good looking, but thematically strong to boot.

20 Crate

The second of the two Silent Line entries in this generation, this AC is much more engaging to look at than Eleven for me. Eleven sported very simple and streamlined parts, while this AC has very multidimensional, boxy parts. The detailing of the srvt legs is always fun to look at, and the core and arms match well with its rigid nature. The dual back magazines and that particular left arm howitzer were always some of my personal favorite parts to look at in any of the AC games. The dual back magazines make any AC look immediately more menacing and war-hardened, while the howitzer reminds me a lot of a sawed off shotgun, or a handheld grenade launcher. The paint sceheme is also a bit more interesting to look at as well, sporting some yellowish hues that match decently well with the weapons. It’s too bad the backmounts clash though.

21 Suit & Tie

This AC looks blatantly competitive, and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if someone just took it from their garage and entered it… I wonder who that faggot was? What it does have going for it is the Dingo2 legs, which have always looked great no matter the context. The paint scheme is a good mix of black and whites that give this design a very skeletal feel to it that’s far from any suit & tie appearance. There are some very subtle traces of brown on the core that I wish could have been incorporated into some other parts of the frame. The U4 is an ugly piece of crap to me, and probably wouldn’t look good on any entrant, unless the entrant was specifically trying to make something that looked like used junk.

1st Place: 4 Omega: With its extremely sound design fundamentals and striking similarities to the Mirage ACs in the AC3 intro—a personal favorite of mine—I can’t not give this thing 1st.

2nd Place: 9 D-A-D: I have an affinity for mean, bulky, aggressive looking bots, and this is the 3rd generation’s version of one. Not as decked out and brimmed to the teeth like Sludge Dredd or Wrought iron, but it is menacing nonetheless, and somewhat satyrical.

3rd Place: 3 BLUE BALL Z: Very much like Omega, I’m drawn to the sleek nature of this AC, plus I love its use of repition throughout the weapons and shoulders.

Honorary Mentions: Huckleberry and Bowflex both deserve 5th place mentions from me. I love Huckleberry’s elaborate and well thought out paint scheme, while I enjoy Bowflex’s thematically strong qualities.

Edited by POSTER X

This division is somewhat conflicting for me. I can really appreciate all the different ideas in play, and the variety of the bots, but I find myself underwhelmed overall. It's not there's much wrong with any of them, I just don't feel very strongly either way about a lot of them, whereas last time Gen 3 had some of my favourites in the whole contest.

Unlike the other games, I can't really name any single, unique, defining feature, but that's because it uniqueness lies in a collection of features. The part selection is massive, with many options from past games included, and a few parts that carried forward into future games. Other customization options are at a point that is almost on par with future titles, too, barring the use of decals and some camouflage patterns. The ability to paint and pattern everything separately (arms in particular) is rad as hell, though I feel it occasionally falls short when it comes to the weaponry. It seems like a bit of detail and uniqueness that was seen in past games is lost, even when compared to AC3/SL. A bit of the older style can still be seen in Extension units, whose colours aren't changeable. Maybe that's just me, though. Finally, after everything is put together, the ability to look over every detail in View Mode is something I really find myself missing in every game that doesn't have it.

1st - [11] Akimbo Avelyn

I'm a big fan of the way smooth and blocky parts are mixed on this bot, as well as the way the weapons are incorporated into the overall design. The look created by playing the legs and linear rifles off of each other is just plain cool, and while it would be enough to define the appearance of a lot of bots on its own, here it's balanced out with the use of very heavy looking sleek upper body parts. I wouldn't say the paint is spectacular, but I do really like the colour combination, and nothing looks out of place. It highlights what needs highlighting, and generally ties everything together really well.

2nd - [19] Bowflex

The name and appearance of this bot do enough to give a good idea of what it was going for, this being perhaps the best possible execution of the idea, but the description takes it over the top (though that's not what I'm voting for - it was entertaining nonetheless). I like the way the parts come together to create a really weighty look, and the paint has just enough balance to give the impression of a Bowflex, yet be more than just another red and black AC.

3rd - [12] Interloper

While the two above sit very clearly in their respective positions for me, this one narrowly wins out over the two below. I'm voting for it because the parts are all really mismatched, and it somehow comes out as being a cohesive clusterfuck to me. The frame is just this weird mix of smooth, blocky, intricate, and simple, while the weapons mix long, stubby, bulky, and skinny. The colouring is just as much of a mess, but still comes together; very well in fact - except for those boosters. B72T would have been a clear cut better choice to me, and on a bot where my favourite part is how all the little details fit, seeing the boosters as out of place is kind of annoying.

4th - [9] D-A-D

I'm a big fan of heavies, and this thing definitely fits the bill. I really like the way the ETTIN is used, adding size, giving colours to play off of, and in the way it wraps the arm units. The part transition in general is very strong on this bot, which I find really impressive given that it's all done off the RAKAN core. I've always found it to be a really odd looking part, but everything here fits just right. I consider the paint scheme extremely well done, with the colours on everything being well placed, but my problem is that I don't particularly like the overall palette, and that's very important to me. It deserves better than fourth, but I can't bring myself to hand that to it.

5th - [8] Muscle Chaser

The frame works fantastically for the idea, but that paint is just killing me. I actually like the deep red hue, but the blue and orange-pink (salmon is best word for it thx nob) just throw me right off. I mean, I'm guessing the blue is there to tie in with the extensions, and it probably could've worked for me with the right accent colour to tie it all together, but as it is...nope.

Other comments: [20] Crate has pretty much the slickest boxy looking frame you can make, but the weapons seem really tacked on, almost like someone chose them purely as an excuse to force TM to use SL. [2] Steggy makes great use of those legs, which, like the RAKAN core, I've always considered hard to work with (and always thought should go with the core [17] Gugnir uses, but they totally don't). For the most part, I like the frame, but the head choice throws me off. I like the simple weapon loudout a lot, too. [16] BIRD is a lot of fun and I'm glad to see it here, but there's not enough to it for me to vote for it. While TM suggested the ORYX, I'd have gone with the LRJ84M 'cuz they're skinny and BIRDlike.

• 2 weeks later...

my 3rd gen write-up,

#01 TOURETTE : a nice military green tank without OB. it might not suit for PvP but it look so nice. somehow, I just wanna ride this tank but if you put weapon arms and don't need OB, swap core to be C89E or SELENA might be make it more useful.

#02 STEGGY : burst-rifle+blade wave+look-a-like-wing for both radars make it be like some kind of Gundam Wing, but drawback is the color theme of this bot wasn't fitted with the style. added some more orange might be better.

#03 BLUE BALL Z : midnight blue, I like it. circle of side shoulder and EN shield can go together nicely. total frame looks cool but this is overweight design, that means it can't be useful for real fight.

#04 OMEGA : another nice one overweight design. if this bot wasn't overweight (or being HWB instead), it might be the one of hardest enemy that I can imagine.

#05 HUCKLEBERRY : light, simple, weak, but more useful, especially PvP. looks like cowboy with black pants anyway.

#06 DIVE OF THE PEGASUS : only one thing that I like is colors and how it looks like. this super overweight thing must be destroyed by uncle Tarustrudelvick.

#07 AMERICA CHIKAN : chikan with many little chicky (orbit cannons) and nukes.....what more can I say?

#08 MUSCLE CHASER : weird, but might be a most dangerous to fighting with. if swap core to be /UL2 it could be a worst nightmare. (and I thought core part is the T-rex look-a-like head)

#09 D-A-D : unique, big dual claws (dual ETTINs)...a brave one with RAKAN, I had no reason to not call it D-A-D.

#10 ELEVEN : IT'S JUST A FAG WITH STEALTH AND BLADE ARMS. BUT I LIKE THIS FAG THING BECAUSE OF HOW BLACK IT IS.

#11 AKIMBO AVELYN : actually this bot isn't made for competitive but it hits me by super-unique space fighter look-a-like. great paint job anyway.

#12 INTERLOPER : this thing can't do the real fight but everything looks fine......until I saw FUNI on shoulder...BUT YOU DIDN'T PUT ANY MISSILE ON BACK, WAT DA HEX R U THINKIN' GUYZ!?

#13 SUGAR WALLS : Foxeye+9Ball = SUGAR WALLZ. simple and strong, don't have things to said much.

#14 THOSENATGEOS : dropped your both back cannons out so you could fight with anyone easily. look cool like a cold iceberg.

#15 SPACEBOI : it looks like alien in spacesuit more than space boy but all things are go together nicely. solid shield might be better.

#16 BIRD : BIRD...what more can I say?

#17 GUGNIR : everything looks nice but too simple for me 'cuz we saw something like this all the time.

#18 HYADES : (this is my bot so I shouldn't give any)

#19 BOWFLEX : C89E or SELENA core will make this thing unbeatable. nice combination setup and nice red-white-black together on one bot and it make each part shine.

#20 CRATE : might be the one of hard-to-beat bot. but if you made this on NX-LR you'll have things to think more. many things looks nice with black and a little bit gold for me.

#21 SUIT & TIE : everyday bot that everyone (if they'd played LR before) could made or pilot easily. make all things black except some white on core and white head mike make it be more suit & tie. 92S3 legs and C90U3 is better look for my taste.

that's all I got, and I'd give a vote already.

Edited by Taurus

Write-Ups

(see above for Votes)

Design 1: Tourette

All-in-all this design is quite pleasant. One the one hand, the derpy droop of the cannon arms certainly makes me think of some disorder (though not tourette's). I haven't played this game, so perhaps the AC name actually refers to what happens to its enemies, when the cannons hit their target. Regardless, the back weapons are a good fit, and the core and treads also match fairly well. The color scheme is very solid and pleasant to look at. My biggest gripe is about the head--where is it?

Design 2: Steggy

Originally a tie with Design 5, Huckleberry. As mentioned by many others, its legs are the best and certainly the most standout-ish part of the AC. The plating on the core doesn't break stride set up by the legs, and the head choice is appropriate considering the pointiness of the feet, knees and core. The arms don't mesh particularly well but neither do they detract from the overall aesthetic. I question the use of dual radar--they certainly look good, but are not particularly fitting with the rest of the frame (perhaps the creator was going for the "plating" theme). I don't really like the gatling gun.

Design 3: BLUE BALL Z

A strong entry imo. The blue is a little darker than I'd prefer, given the lighting of the garage, but the sparse red-orange throughout the frame is a smart design choice. The weapons equipped provide it with a wide and varied look, unlike, say, Tourette. The head and core are fine with one another. The arms are an odd choice, as the shoulders look out of place with the frame (but in-tune with the shield). The legs are not my preference, but here I applaud the creator, as their simplicity and straightness make my eyes drawn either to them--for being so starkly straight and non-curvy--or to the upper body, for being where the bulk of the AC's identity belongs. In the end, the legs give BLUE BALL Z a strong and towering air of confidence.

Design 4: Omega

This AC is the shit. It has ball shoulders, ball back weapons, curvy legs and coordinating head and core. The hand weapons are so different from the rest of the frame that it seems odd in terms of theme, but fitting in terms of aesthetic; nobody likes an outfit where the pants, shirt, shoes and jacket are all the same hue of blue, and so the weapons perform the duty of breaking the monotony. The colors don't need mention, for being so gud. My original #1.

Design 5: Huckleberry

My original vote for #3 of this division. The colors are similar to Omega's, though it has a more apparent relative-black. I'd like to think small RJ legs would have fit this one better, but since I don't know how many of them look I can't say if they would actually be better choices. It's always enjoyable to see someone put in the effort to give each area of the body a different color, and whoever made Huckleberry did a nice job. The thinness of the head and core, from this angle at least, paired with the thinness of its arms and legs are good ideas. The pistols are particularly pleasing to me, partly for looking badass and partly for fitting with such a seemingly tinfoil, speedy AC with little firepower. The name is probably what the creator realized when he couldn't find anything else that sounded good. "Huckleberry" was his huckleberry, or something. Kk.

Design 6: DIVE OF THE PEGASUS

The backstory of this guy is hiarious. I don't know how accurate the frame is to the AC presented in PD's story, but the colors I'm certain are a reference to pegasus faggotry. The frame is topheavy with twig legs, perhaps based on the idea of dumb jocks who lift but skip leg days.I can't really make out the details in this frame, but I spose they don't matter considering the hideous colors. The head and legs likely would have been a good fit, if this had been a serious entry. On a final note, the weapons sync amazingly well with one another visually. I really would like someone to tackle and redo this frame from a serious standpoint.

Design 7: America Chikan

This is not American. The blue is far too light, the white appears yellowish (maybe from the lighting), and the whole thing is stupid. How dare you pass this off as America Chikan. You were better off not making ACs and doing crafts and shit to make your damn flower.

Design 8: Muscle Chaser

This thing is pretty genius. Leaving the theme and title aside for a moment, the frame as far as the core, weapon arms, and shoulders go coordinate perfectly. The barrel holes are then matched with the back weapons and a stupid (but fitting and adorable) head. As far as the legs go, it's also a smart choice as it gives the whole AC an air of speediness and strength in terms of immediate firepower. I don't know how similar this looks to an MT from the 3rd gen but damn I love this guy. Nob called the colors atrocious but fuck him. I mean, okay, the salmon could be replaced with something else but it ain't vomit-inducing. As far as the title goes, it obviously sets the theme, and as far as the theme goes, it shows.

Design 9: D-A-D

So apparently this thing is enormous. Everything fits, including those imposing ... laser rifles? Whatever the arm weapons are, they look like they could skewer you if you didn't listen to his orders. The colors overall remind me of something I can't quite place my finger on, but it's pretty fucking pleasing. Definitely in my top five. Okay, top eight.

Design 10: Eleven

Drac messed up. Idc how random and legit your method was to order the ACs; this guy now looks extra dumb for being placed tenth on the list. Aesthetically, the biggest detractor of the mech is definitely the legs, but even the colors need a lot of reconsideration; if not for those factors, I think this could make for a decent entry. As it stands, I'm not sure if the creator was only expecting eleven entries in this division, and was aiming for eleventh place.

Design 11: Akimbo Avelyn

Nice symmetry and architecture. I haven't much to say, aside from it having colors that make me uncomfortable. The juxtaposition of round shoulders and smooth head/core with straight and flat weapons and legs isn't really something I like a whole lot. The head I'm not a fan of in this case visually, but it does mix well with the purple and black, and fits extremely well with the core and its colors when viewed directly anteriorly. The back weapons add to the frame also when viewed from the front, but not so from the side profile.

Design 12: Interloper

I'm not sure the head works here either. The whole thing looks like a jumbled mess, except for the weapons. But even then, the right hand gun has unfitting colors that just makes it appear all the more disparate. Maybe if the creator had gone for a whole yin-yang theme with with the rest of the frame's palette, I would understand a singular black weapon. As it stands, Interloper is a frankenstein of multiple proportions.

Design 13: SUGAR WALLS

There are a lot of ACs to go through, so I'm going to start skimming. This is one ugly mofo, but not in a good way like Scuttle Shuttle in gen 2. I think everything but its legs fit, but really, when the parts sync they just make it even more ugly. It's like a person with a huge lumpy body wearing a short-sleeved shirt with lots of circles, and pants with circle patterns on it. Okay, thematically and visually everything is curvy, but it's disgusting as fuck. About the only thing I like is the head and core combination.

Design 14: ThoseNatGeos

The last one wasn't a skim so this one will be. The feet are like animal feet and the color hue is like a nice jaybird blue. But the weapons are like hunting weapons (well not the rifle/shotty?) so why is an animal hunting other animals??? Oh maybe it's like an animal that hunts humans but that's not okay killing people is not okay.

Design 15: SPACEBOI

I want to say this is a reference to something. Anyway, I'd say the colors leave a lot to be desired, but in real life space colors are pretty bland since it's just rocks and stars and asteroids so fine. Definitely has a childlike feel to the whole thing, thanks to a solid but tight frame pick. The head doesn't give off a lot of personality, but I wonder if the theme is for you to go back to the childhood days when you'd imagine exploring space, maybe inside an awesome robot body, and so a non-defined head would allow you to project yourself onto it. IDK. This guy with his cutesy laser pistol and sci-fi shield will go places.

Design 16: BIRD

Pretty ugly but I'm thankful for the use of separate colors. More bird than any other chikan AC I remember seeing this contest around.

Design 17: Gugnir

Someone didn't spell his shit right. This is like a third-rate Steggy; you're almost there, buddy!

Design 18: HYADES

Surprisingly good, thanks to the shoulders. The synchronization between the head, core and right hand weapon is great. The colors aren't exactly subtle, but they're boring for being non-subtle colors. Black with purple stripes might work better on, say ... a tank? Who knows.

Design 19: Bowflex

I've never used one of these things but after searching images it looks good. A solid contender with a sturdy tying theme, but having back weapons is a little weak (unless those are weights?). Unfortunately, I can't say I like this terribly much.

Design 20: Crate

Better than [10]Eleven but not by much. I don't get a "Crate" feeling from it so maybe it's just good at blowing up crates?

Design 21: Suit & Tie

Shitty. Suits make you look big and suave, or sleek and slim, not wide and flat. I also don't see a fucking tie; do you? In secret agent movies spies rarely use big guns, except RPGs. Sexy men use pistols, like Huckleberry. Suit/dress pants should be straight as fuck. Go learn a thing or two from BLUE BALL Z.

He only voted for Gen 5 on ACL as far as I can tell.

okie-dokie Edited by Siri