Cast a Character for ROTK X

Shirtless Crackhead

I actually managed to find a torrent for the Jap PC version of X, but it doesn't work, so that's fucking that. PS2 4 lyfe homie.

Before I talk more about officers, I'm going to talk about the Scenario(s) and places for the CC (created character) factions to start out from, and what all I can do in addition to just what the game allows, which is really 1 thing.

There are 9 "Scenarios" of which I'm only going to concern myself. If any of you know any ROTK/DW lore and make a suggestion I should put this game in a certain part of the 'story' like Yellow Turbans, Dong Zhou, Guan Du, Chi Bi; I am game to listen. But Heroes from across Time, the 9th and final Scenario is what I'm defaulting to.

The reason being is, all the officers in the game are active, there's the most historical factions and a number of them are strong; in particular Liu Bei, Cao Cao, and Sun Jian; but as well there's Yuan Shao, Liu Yang, Sima Yi and a couple others. By and large the majority are really weak, but the game is more interesting to me with more officers, so unless someone wants to do something else, this is the scenario I'm gonna play.

Age doesn't matter when you play HfaT everyone is ageless, but the game will just end if you got past 350 AD, which will never happen it usually takes <10 years if I wanna end quickly or 20-30 years if I want it to go long, sometimes more. I'm expecting this to go much longer however, but it'll still be done well before 300 AD, I'd imagine. This means old/young/mom/dad/grandma/grandpa will all live until someone executes them, which most ppl don't do unless you killed one of their kin.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/Zangi/Year183YellowTurbanRebellion.jpg

That's about the only good map pic I can find. But let me point out where the free cities will be with some MS Paint.

http://i2.minus.com/jDTUJ0dpwNu0R.png

You may have to view this on another tab/screen blown up to read my MS paint number doodles. But the Stars are the big 3 AI forces, Green = Shu, Blue = Wei, Red = Wu.

What will follow is a list of the cities, they all start as small cities with the exception of Xu Chang and Jiang Ling which start as Medium cities and get 1 extra facility as well as the first buff to their maximum farm/trade/tech. Here's a guide with all the details on facilities and some other stuff if you want to take a look.

1. Tian Shui

2. An Ding

3. Wu Du

4. Zi Tong

5. Jiang Zhou

6. Jian Ning

7. Yong Chang

8. Nan Hai

9. Jiang Ling

10. Shang Yong

11. Xin Ye

12. Jiang Xia

13. Chai Sang

14. Jian An

15. Xiao Pei

16. Xu Chang

I have already figured that Xu Chang is best for Nobforce and Jiang Liang is best for Queensmen, since their medium cities and won't go completely broke within 6 months because of a lack of enough gold to pay all the subordinate officers. Btw I will probably leave a number of the Queensmen unassigned so that Jiang Liang's banks don't get jacked by having to pay out 34 subordinates. Nobforce will be ok w/ Xu Chang because it's got the best starting Trade and Gold as well as the highest Trade cap of the available cities to put a CC force in.

However..

I can however, use a Codebreaker and alter the size of any city in the game, however it won't boost the starting stats food/gold or anything else, it will simply increase the maximums for farm/trade/tech, increase the potential number of units available (S->5, M->10, L->15, XL->20), and opens up the facilities. Both Nobforce and Queensmen are led by non-dumbass lieges so they will max out Trade quickly, so if you pick an otherwise small city and I cheat to make it XL, they will likely be A-ok in terms of money for the short-term, and it'll give them a huge boost as soon as they get Trade maxed because they'll be able to organize up to 20 units in their OG capital and have full facilities.

Machine Yards are extremely powerful to AI forces, so cities that get them are also pretty good. Garrisons give you access to Lvl 1 Upgrades for Foot/Horse/Bow units if/when they get 300XP, they can become Infantry/Cavalry/Crossbow and are much better. Garrison + Foundry will give you Lvl 2 Upgrades, turning Infantry/Cavalry/Crossbow into Sentinal/Tiger/Marksmen; Marksmen are so OP that I am going to ban myself from using or organizing them at all. If I obtain any Marksmen as a Prefect or Viceroy, I will sent them to another city or disband them.

Armored/Savage/Elephant/Horsebow Garrisons give you the units for which they are named. Elephants are basically garbage cavalry since their slower, get confused when set on fire, and have crap defense; plus they can only be made in once dinky city in the very SW corner. Armored Units are really good so long as no fire is involved, fire kills them super quick, otherwise they're pretty unstoppable (I tend to like them because I, unlike the AI, can use someone w/ Aero to keep the weather rainy so fire attacks are not available; and their less bullshitty than Marksmen). Savages are basically Armored troops without the insane defense or fire weakness, both can move through swamps and forests as if they were flat terrain, meaning their quicker than normal foot units.

There are Qing Elite units that belong to Cao Cao that can possibly become yours if you defeat his city/cities and somehow take the unit, which is generally unlikely. They are just super-strong infantry with no special mobility changes or any weaknesses. Really good units to have, but head-to-head w/o fire attacks they still lose to Armored units. Armored Units can go toe-to-toe in melee vs Cavalry/Tigers which is nuts. Generally speaking Foot Units are good vs Bows, Bows are good vs Horses, and Horses are good vs Foot units. Cavalry is not something I am fond of however, because they cannot scale walls, and if you watch any of JG's vids you'll see how big a deal that can become.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, same goes for this.

They're generally low of defense so you give/take in melee combat. One of the more unusual things about X is that confused units still deal damage back when you attack them in melee.

Horse units, if the troop (1-5 units together) are all horse units, the troop moves over the map significantly faster. And if you're planning a campaign, all horse unit forces are much stronger.

So they are far from useless, and Horsebow units are seriously legit, they were the original unit I would go for. The advantage being there's a large number of free officers, basically northern nomads who have them as private units, so hiring them gives you a Horsebow unit provided you have space for another unit in your city. So you can go after guys like Bu Dugen, Ta Dun, Yu Fuluo, and a pretty significant number of other similar officers and get a large number of basically free units; and they all tend to be 7 or 8k in strength. Which when you consider established units w/ Hire and 100 Cha will be ~2400 strong, it's a pretty dope thing a player force can make use of.

Also, PD, you're still the Liege for Team ACU so you get the primary say in where Team ACU's capital will be.

Both pretty garbage starting stats, however Nan Hai is probably the better of the two.

Xiao Pei's weakness it's surrounded by really good cities like Xia Pi, Chen Liu, Shou Chun.

You really can't get to Sun Jian quickly from 8 though, that whole part of the map is basically the most isolated. Going from 14, following the path south/southwest to 8, then 6/7. That's usually the last part of the map to get taken because like from 8->14, it takes like 2 weeks to move you troop to take the city. And if you don't have Wood Ox (which can only be build in Jiang Zhou/5) you can only carry 60 days worth of food.

13 is pretty decent if you wanna jack Sun Jian. It's also probably one of the most easily defended cities for a player character, if you're there. AI vs AI is basically determined by # of troops first, officer quality second, city defenses last, and that's it. It's kinda janky, but one of the tricky-dicky things you can do in ROTK X is you can instantly transport shit from city to city as a liege, allowing you to pull all your gold/food if you figure a city is gonna get taken, or quickly fill a city with maxed out units to have it hold out long enough to reinforce it or hold off the attacking force.

Yeah the older games city selection was less and less important.

Like ROTK XI it's fucking everything because each city has a different # of free lands for facilities, and you build like X number of markets and farms to support your domestic needs, barracks and shit to draft troops and create weapons.

In ROTK VIII there was some consideration, but really only if you could get a gate to make your enemy waste troops against. Gates were seriously OP in ROTK VIII. I might do that game next however, because it's probably my favorite in terms of the battle system. There's a lot I don't like, but it's a pretty fun, and much shorter game. My copy of VII is borked, so I can't do that one even if I wanted to.

Sima Yi never wins, he never moves from his fucking city, which annoys me, because he's a really good officer and his force is packed with baller dudes.

Taking down Sun Jian in HfaT is pretty hard unless you do it right away, which I'd have to be the liege to make it happen. Once it goes more than a year, he's one of the toughest dudes to deal with, because he's got 64 subordinate officers, and lots of weak neighbors to sack. The good thing I suppose is he doesn't move his capital quickly.

Cao Cao usually competes with him, although Sun Jian's aggressive nature means he usually takes a ton of territory while Cao Cao takes like 2-3 cities and gets creamed after a long struggle. But Cao Cao does start in a city with a Machine Yard once it gets to Large, which with 67 subordinates takes almost no time at all. Liu Bei starts off in the Eastern end of the Yi Province, so despite having 44 subordinates, he usually does pretty damn well because the Yi province is a strategic gold mine; although if he doesn't take the Nanman out in time, he gets shrekt too.

That's why I'm going to fill the rest of the CC slots, there's 110, I'm going to buff some of the other forces like Yuan Shao's, Ma Teng's, and Shi Xie's.

he was in the books tbh

the books are real weird about it cuz its cao cao then he passes and there's technically another cao ruling...like cao ren or cao pi I forget but without really stating it in an obvious way the sima family is the main characters for Wei and they eventually win the war

i think it might be cuz the focus of the story gets real heavy on zhuge liang that it sorta ignores wei as it makes its shift to sima's fam being dominant, but its been a few years so my memory is hazy on it

Cao Cao died of a brain tumor, Cao Pi takes over.

Cao Pi eventually forced the last Han Emperor to abdicate the throne and he became Emperor. There's a series of Cao's who run court affairs, maintaining both the seat of the Emperorship and the lead political positions.

Sima Yi was the won who basically manage to beat Zhuge Liang, albeit by not losing and lasting long enough to see him die of old age. But otherwise from what the books say, Zhuge Liang would have walked over the incompetent Cao leadership without Sima Yi's brilliance and the quality of his men. Sima Yi basically double-crossed the Cao family and took over the Government, leaving only enough of the Cao line to maintain the Imperial line, until his Grandson pulled a Cao Pi and forced Cao Huan (the last Wei Emperor) to abdicate, then the Jin Dynasty took over.

That only lasted a couple decades, until the descendants became decadent and dumb, and got shrekt by this dude.

cao cao was god tier so was sima yi, the books love zhuge way too much luckily they love sima too mainly cuz they have to cuz historically he won

I dont remember him forcing anyone to abdicate in the books tho but it mighta been small passages on it like I alluded to, i do remember tho that uh the last cao or whoever it was before sima yang or w/e the fuck his name was gets in on it, his downfall happens cuz of a eunuch giving him bad advice lol

but yeah he bscly beats zhuge by outliving him, zhuge never manages to get anything decisive going, noone does at that point lol

the end of the book fucking blows because of that tho, the lack of quality officers, it gets fucking awful

jiang wei is like a hero by the end and even he isnt that impressive

guan yu's kids are all fag tier

guan yu is kinda funny in the books cuz he is hardcore in the bgng but by the end of his life he's just a miserable old guy with delusions of grandeur

remember them when they were young i guess

but nah that doesnt sound right in the books about caos maintaining shit they are afterthoughts after Cao Pi, they hardly get brought up

its all sima they're just like goofy politicos sitting in bed all day with eunuchs

All that really matters is me and you are gonna run balls deep on 3rd century China.

Sima Yi, Zhuge Liang, Zhou Yu, Cao Cao, Lu Xun can all suck on duck butter.

Yung Caligula's a straight baller on the mind-fuck status.

http://kongming.net/10/i/p/c240/cm56.jpg

Yung Caligula

170 AD

Monica Cruz is Mom

Jessica Gomes is Wife

85 LDR

40 WAR

100 INT

100 POL

100 CHA

Hire Drill

Missile Settle Distract

Blunder Entice Confuse Aero Geo Maze

Awe Plead Refute Fault Argue Incite Taunt

Warlord Hero Spy Host Doctor Wizard

Heroic

Bold

Loves

Literature

Selfless

But if you wanna see into his soul aka the heart of danger.

http://i4.minus.com/jBqmowyF8GiZ7.jpg

Edited by Top Notch Cock

http://kongming.net/10/i/p/c240/cf37.jpg

Monica Cruz (got Buffed)

156 AD

Yung Caligula's Mom

Yung Caligula's Friend

85 LDR

85 WAR

85 INT

85 POL

100 CHA

Hire Drill

Charge Missile Unison Settle Distract

Blunder Entice Confuse

Recover Parry Crush

Awe Plead Fault Incite

Warlord Hero Host

Loyal / Cool / Loves / Collecting / Selfless

~

http://kongming.net/10/i/p/c240/cm31.jpg

Raor Stones

170 AD

Wife = Sara

Friend = Erwin

100 LDR

100 WAR

85 INT

40 POL

100 CHA

200 Fame

Hire Drill

Charge Missile Unison Settle Rally Surprise Distract

Blunder Entice Confuse Geo

Recover Shout Scare Parry Counter Crush Maul

Warlord Hero Admiral Spy

Spontaneous / Cool / Loves / Martial Arts / Average

http://kongming.net/10/i/p/c240/cf27.jpg

Sara Stones

170 AD

Raor's Wife

Raor's Friend

85 LDR

40 WAR

100 INT

100 POL

99 CHA

200 Fame

Hire Drill

Missile Settle Distract

Blunder Entice Confuse Aero Geo

Warlord Hero Admiral

Loyal / Cool / Loves / Literature / Average

http://kongming.net/10/i/p/c240/cm39.jpg

Erwin Wagner

170 AD

Raor's Friend

99 LDR

40 WAR

99 INT

99 POL

85 CHA

200 Fame

Hire Drill

Missile Settle Distract

Warlord Hero Admiral

Loyal / Cool / Loves / Collecting / Average

http://kongming.net/10/i/p/c240/cm30.jpg

Ivan Grosnev

170 AD

Raor's Friend

98 LDR

99 WAR

85 INT

40 POL

98 CHA

200 Fame

Hire Drill

Blunder Entice Confuse

Warlord Hero Admiral

Loyal / Bold / Loves / Martial Arts / Average

http://kongming.net/10/i/p/c240/cm36.jpg

Victor Serna

170 AD

Raor's Friend

97 LDR

98 WAR

85 INT

40 POL

97 CHA

200 Fame

Same Skills/Psyche as Ivan Grosnev

~

Drake's dudes using Nic Cage and his character names (that'll fit).

I'm going to d100 rando roll the stats and kinda pick skills as I feel like. Nicolas Cage will get 500 fame so Queen can spread to 2 cities with a ready prefect to help ease the asspain of +40 officers, the rest will have 200 if I give them Hero and 100 if not. They will all be born 170 AD, have the same Psyches; Loyal / Bold / Dislike / X / Selfless (Interest between Martial Arts / Literature / Collecting will be determined by stats, all-rounders/CHA heavies will get Collecting, LDR/WAR heavies will get Martial Arts, and INT/POL heavies will get Literature. They're all using Kessen 3 portraits as well as nobforce, so I won't post that.

They're also all sons and friends of Queen Drake, same goes for Steven Seagal and nobforce (who are all sons and friends to Steven), this makes them all max loyalty to their respective leiges.

WALL OF TEXT INBOUND

Nicolas Cage

90 / 91 / 97 / 94 / 87 / 500

Hire Drill

Missile Settle

Blunder Entice Confuse

Recover Shout Parry Crush

Awe Plead Fault Incite

Warlord

Collecting

~

Vincent Dwyer

93 / 99 / 69 / 47 / 82 / 100

Hire Drill

Charge Missile Unison

Stun

Plead Fault Incite

Martial Arts

~

Ned Hanlan

44 / 67 / 96 / 85 / 99 / 200

Hire

Settle

Warlord Hero

Literature

~

Charlie Bodell

88 / 96 / 97 / 57 / 46 / 100

Drill

Charge Missile Unison Settle

Recover Shout Scare Parry Crush

Warlord Spy

~

Peter Leow

99 / 72 / 100 / 88 / 81 / 200

Hire Drill

Blunder Entice Confuse Aero Gero

Recover

Plead Fault Incite

Warlord Hero Admiral Spy

Collecting

~

Jake Preston

59 / 60 / 81 / 60 / 87 / 200

Hire

Missile Settle Distract

Blunder Entice Confuse

Recover

Awe Plead Refute Fault Argue Incite

Warlord Hero

Collecting

~

Jack Singer AKA Spade-Head (cuz of the Portrait)

78 / 90 / 93 / 79 / 64 / 100

Missile Settle Distract

Fault

Warlord Spy Doctor

Martial Arts

~

Amos Odell

99 / 87 / 92 / 62 / 96 / 200 (not gonna lie, I re-rolled him a few times so Tadakatsu Honda's pic didn't go to a shitty officer)

Hire Drill

Warlord Hero

Collecting

~

Michael Williams

96 / 78 / 83 / 71 / 90 / 200

Hire Drill

Plead Fault Incite

Warlord Hero

Martial Arts

~

Doug Chesnic

89 / 92 / 88 / 84 / 98 / 200

Hire Drill

Blunder Entice Confuse

Warlord Hero

Collecting

Ya, I think I'll give Nobforce Xu Chang (11) and Queensmen Jiang Ling (9), and make both XL.

Team ACU will start in Jian An (14) and I'll make it M to start, so that way Team ACU gets Savages off the bat, cuz their pretty good. Also when Jian An becomes L it gets a Machine Yard which will increase Yung Caligula's potential for mindfuck in battles w/ Rams, Towers, and Catapults.

Jiang Ling will be able to make ships, which isn't that big of a deal, and Xu Chang can upgrade Foot units to Infantry/Sentinels but that'll take a long ass time to happen if at all.

Nobforce will be within striking distance of Cao Cao and Sun Jian, Queensmen will be smack in the middle of Jing which is the best/2nd best area to control and next to Liu Bei.

Team ACU will have the ability to expand balls deep into the South and East, but I plan on getting Raor up to Prefect material to take Yun Nan or Jian Ning to build up a troop of Armored Units and lay the smack down after I kit them out @ Jiang Zhou (which gets all the weapons including Juggernaut/Wood Ox) and then onward to conquer China, more than likely.

More Queensmen.

Charlie Lang

79 / 68 / 89 / 85 / 100 / 200

Hire Drill

Missile Settle Distract

Blunder Entice Confuse

Recover Parry Crush

Plead Fault Incite

Warlord Hero

Collecting

~

Bill Firpo

95 / 99 / 85 / 96 / 68 / 100

Drill

Warlord Admiral Spy

Martial Arts

~

Little Junior

85 / 87 / 92 / 97 / 84 / 100

Hire Drill

Missile Settle Distract

Blunder Entice Confuse

Awe Plead Fault Incite

Literature

~

Cameron Poe (CON AIR!)

97 / 90 / 66 / 82 / 100 / 200

Hire Drill

Charge Missile Unison Settle Rally Distract

Stun

Recover Shout Scare Parry Counter Crush

Fault

Hero

Martial Arts

~

Caster Troy

92 / 74 / 92 / 85 / 77 / 100

Hire Drill

Missile Settle Distract

Recover

Plead Fault Incite

Warlord Admiral Spy

Collecting

~

Sean Archer

95 / 93 / 98 / 90 / 95 / 200

Hire Drill

Missile Settle

Blunder Entice Confuse

Plead Fault Incite

Warlord Hero

Collecting

~

Rick Santoro

77 / 94 / 82 / 78 / 54 / 100

Charge Missile Unison Settle

Blunder Stun Entice Confuse

Recover Shout Scare Parry Crush Maul

Fault

Admiral

Martial Arts

~

Tom Welles

97 / 64 / 85 / 100 / 88 / 200

Hire Drill

Blunder Entice Confuse

Awe Plead Fault Incite

Warlord Hero

Collecting

~

Frank Pierce

51 / 55 / 79 / 87 / 75 / 100

Missile Settle Distract

Blunder Entice Confuse

Awe Plead Refute Fault Argue Incite

Warlord Admiral Spy Doctor

Literature

~

Randal Raines (Gone in 60 Seconds)

95 / 99 / 74 / 82 / 77 / 200

Hire Drill

Stun

Hero

Martial Arts

EDIT: All previously listed Queensmen w/ 100 fame have been changed to 150, as their auto promoted to Rank 7 because their the Queen's kids.

And Yung Caligula is friendly w/ me cuz I'mma be his most ambitious officer.

Monica's Fame is also down to 200.

Oddly enough, of the 8 ppl for Team ACU (PD, his mom, his wife, me, my wife, my 3 sworn bros) PD's mom is the only person w/ sub 90 loyalty starting out, lol. Not much I can do, that's what happens when your parents work for you, but she won't defect or anything.

I might do some changes to Team ACU to expand it for the rest of the crew here, mainly, having Raor Stones w/ a Dad and Granddad, putting Grandpa in charge, and having the PD's mom be Raor's Aunt and therefore PD/Raor be cousins, and do a similar relationship for the rest of the ACU crew.

Edited by Top Notch Cock