Just Visiting

Ataraxis

So, with a lot of people in town and dropping in to visit lately, I was wondering what everyone thought was an appropriate amount of time for visitors to stay. In my opinion, it varies depending on how far away they came from.

If visiting takes no more time than their daily commute, honestly, like 2-4 hours is probably enough. More if it's actually enjoyable. If it takes them half a day to get here, I'm good with a 3 day stay. If they had to fly, hell, a solid week is okay by me. Maybe more.

My uncle used to say that company is a lot like fish: after three days they start to smell the same. Most of the time this applies pretty well.

How do y'all feel about visiting etiquette?

If I visit on a road trip, I usually don't stay more than the day unless we end up going deep on the evening.

I generally don't like to make a burden out of myself, so I also do shit like clean up people's pads, fix shit; or in Niji's case, demand free liquor at gunpoint.

• I live 4 hours from some people
  • photo-8.png Exorcet
    I come for 3 day weekends

•  
    EXXON HAS NEGATED YOUR TOPIC

•  
    CHAT WISDOM

Biggest thing though is probably have a reason to be there. Like I know one person who is hyper-desperate-let's-hang-out-all-the-time, but never suggests things to do. So I try to never hang out.

Also I hate it when people mess with my stuff too. Because it always makes things worse.

My aunt does that and it pisses me off pretty heavily, tbh. I mean clean up after yourself yeah but leave my mess alone. Not sure how far you go with it.

yeah that shit drives me nuts too

honestly I don't like ppl being here unless i enjoy their company regardless of distance but that's cuz I'm kind of a hateful guy with regard to people in the general sense

i hate everyone mostly

if you're entertaining me then u can stay awhile, just that uhhh the ability to entertain becomes harder as time goes by...sorta like if ur doing an endurance race

visiting me is like running a marathon

had to quote

Anyways I don't visit or have visitors that often at all, but as soon as people stop finding things to entertain each other with its time to call it a day, it's painfully easy to spot that lull in the action.

Also I always hated waking up at a friends house, I'm always the first one awake, other dudes still zonked out, and I'm left there for a good moment wondering what the fuck now?

just get up and do you fuck it

you might just gotta get used to the idea is all

Yeah I usually start by trying to figure out their television/entertainment system remote setup, that can be a bitch as well haha, too early in the morning for that!

Edited by Nomrah

honestly I don't like ppl being here unless i enjoy their company regardless of distance but that's cuz I'm kind of a hateful guy with regard to people in the general sense

i hate everyone mostly

if you're entertaining me then u can stay awhile, just that uhhh the ability to entertain becomes harder as time goes by...sorta like if ur doing an endurance race

That pretty much sums it up for me, as well.

I brought this up because I wasn't sure if I should feel bad about thinking my visitors were stupid for not realizing they were overstaying their welcome (my sister lives 20 minutes out and visits for like 8 hours; we had family in town for 10 days and it's a six hour drive for them - and they were here like a month ago - and the rest of the family was out to see them like two weeks ago, haha holy fuck that sounds dumb no matter how I spin it). At a certain point "Hey glad to see ya!" just turned into resentment and "omg pls go."

Also they fuck around with the order of my fridge, leave stuff out, and mess up my bathroom. Like, if I got three areas of sacred ground they're: Bedroom, bathroom, fridge. I mean really, what reason could you have for leaving out ice cream. "Oh, I thought someone else might want some." Well fuck no one is gonna want any if it's soup, put that shit back in the freezer you mook.

I brought this up because I wasn't sure if I should feel bad about thinking my visitors were stupid for not realizing they were overstaying their welcome

its not you its them fuck them

sometimes you just have to be upfront with ppl if they don't want to show you any manners/respect

nah john having someone as a roommate and having someone visit are 2 totally different things

1 requires you allowing someone to live in general vicinity

the other requires you actively acknowledge their presence

that too its another issue if ur boning her down all the time or its like, ur brother visiting from idk some other city

best way I can put it is that I've had lots of roommates that I got along with fine as roommates, but I'd never in a million years be friends with

it's the same thing here imo

its easy to exist around someone its hard to engage with said person, lot more factors involved that way, mainly do they make u mad or not

everyone makes me mad so it is what it is