Formula Front Confusion

Peffse

I am pretty confused about the various versions of Formula Front that were released internationally.

Here's what I think I know:

The first Formula Front was never released in North America, and included no manual controls.

...and when Agetec localized it for NA, they added manual controls.

It was re-released in Japan under Formula Front International, and included the manual controls from Agetec.

If any of that is incorrect, feel free to correct me.

Here are my questions.

The Japanese PS2 Formula Front is based on what version?

Is Formula Front International just the NA version? Or does it have additional content not available in the NA version?

The first FF was released in Japan, and featured only AI controlled AC. The second FF is called Formula Front: Extreme Battle, which is a remake of FF for the NA scene. In Extreme Battle, FROM added teh ability for players to manually control their AC. The third FF is Formula Front: International. In International FROM remade AC:FFeb so that the JP crowd could also control their AC's manually. It also fixed some in-game glitches and clipping problems and made the game multi-lingual (English/Japanese).

The PS2 version is a port of the original FF and doesn't allow manual controls, I believe. I may be mistaken, though.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that it was Agetec that added manual controls, and not From Software.

That aside, that at least confirms my suspicions: There are 3 distinct versions.

So only glitches were addressed from Extreme Battle to International? Or are there more changes?

Nope, that's all that was fixed. No new parts, etc. It was just a "Best of" or "Greatist Hits" version of AC:FF. Some fixed bugs and incorporated manual controls, though vertical aiming was still automated. Like in all of the FF series.

Wierd stuff, haha. There are parts in FF that don't exist in any other game, though. Those parts are in all versions of FF.

Heh, wikipedia has something interesting to add:

"this re-released Armored Core: Formula Front International edition is considered to be the ultimate edition as it also contains a large amount of additional battles not found in the American version of the game, and includes both Japanese and English text options (except for the tutorial videos which are only in Japanese).[citation needed]"

Of course, wiki is well known for it's joke edits, so I guess I can't rely on such information.

I have both the NA and International version, but I never bothered to beat the NA version. International is definitely the way to go no matter what, though. Unless you want the PS2 version. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the extra opponents are only in International. There's some funny ass bots in it with some great names, haha.