General MMA Thread

Shirtless Crackhead

He needs to transition to MMA, he's too small for K-1 (5'11" 200lbs), but he could rape MMA's standup game with some TDD and wrestling.

He's supposed to fight Strikeforce in 2011, atleast that's the rumor; with UFC's buy out he might go UFC.

He does train with Alistair Overeem @ Golden Glory, I'm excited if the rumors are true.

Edited by DangerWorldWide

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was kinda boring, but it was interesting to see how Shields couldn't take GSP down, and GSP's boxing wasn't really a cut above; I think GSP spent too much time training to avoid subs and stuff with John Danaher.

EDIT:

Jose Aldo vs. Mark Hominick was awesome, Aldo gassed really bad but totally fucked Hominick up, Hominick wasn't quitting though; I see a rematch, but Aldo will be ready and Hominick will get wrecked. Aldo v. Hominick was definitely fight of the night, the rematch will be nutz; Aldo wasn't 100% and Hominick is just a fucking machine, I guess his nickname fits.

http://i.imgur.com/kpsiA.png

Alot of the other rights where exciting, Vladimir Matyushenko got a nasty 1st Round KO on Jason Brilz.

Machida also KO'd Randy Couture with a Surprise Steven Seagal kick, Silva style; it was really nice Karate technique, he faked a left kick and jumped up and kicked Randy in the chin with his right foot.

Edited by Enganacious

GSP is going to keep working on his boxing and stuff, I think though he's getting the hint that people want to see him finish fights; his usual method for doing so, takedowns and GnP simply wasn't a good one against Shields.

If GSP gets his striking up to the task of finishing fights, he'll be truly great; but right now we're probably not going to see GSP vs. Silva (GSP isn't sold on the idea himself), but we might see GSP vs. Nick Diaz.

• 4 weeks later...

UFC 130 is a really weak card, but oh well, still gonna watch it.

I can't say I'm really that interested in any of the fights, but Roy Nelson is always interesting to watch.

The fight between Brian Stann and Jorge Santiago will probably be the most exciting fight of the night, out of the main card.

What's sad is the prelims look like more exciting lineups than the main card.

I think GSP should improve his boxing for the sake of being a more complete fighter. but you know what? F the crowd. If he knows he's gonna take the fight without having to take an unneeded risk in finishing a fight then by all means, dont.

editL Nice to see Hamill still fighting the kid's deaf he's an inspiration and is an eternal winner in my book.

Edited by Densuo

Being deaf really isn't much of a disability in MMA, even though Tito Ortiz thought deaf people have shitty equilibrium, lol Tito Ortiz.

GSP has really good leg kicks too, which made me sad, because he kicked Shields like twice and both times it looked like it would have chopped Shields down if he kept them up; but GSP is a point player, like Tim Sylvia was. It's boring, but w/o yellow cards for holding or maybe a stronger point advantage for aggression, it's going to stay this way.

Being deaf really isn't much of a disability in MMA, even though Tito Ortiz thought deaf people have shitty equilibrium, lol Tito Ortiz.

GSP has really good leg kicks too, which made me sad, because he kicked Shields like twice and both times it looked like it would have chopped Shields down if he kept them up; but GSP is a point player, like Tim Sylvia was. It's boring, but w/o yellow cards for holding or maybe a stronger point advantage for aggression, it's going to stay this way.

The disadvantage that Hamil really has is that he cannot receive help from his corner during the rounds.

True on GSP but if you wanna be the champ you gotta beat him. and if they can't beat him convincingly and he can preserve himself, hey, more money and more fights for him.

Corner help is kind of a funny thing, most guys are too into the fight and forget to pay attention unless you got a loon in your corner who can scream insanely loud, than again your opponent hears everything he says.

If I was an MMA fighter I'd try to use another language or atleast codes so the dude I was fighting didn't know what my corner was telling me.

June 11th, UFC 131

Junior Dos Santos vs. Shane Carwin <- big heavyweight fight time! (I'm picking Dos Santos)

one wee later...

June 18th, Strikeforce HW GP

Ubereem vs. Werdum <- another big heavyweight fight (if Overeem beats Werdum he'll get huge recognition, have to fight Antonio Silva next, and the UFC will probably be looking to get him into some fights, especially if he then wins the GP; he'll be in line for a title-shot or #1 contender match-up, IMO)

I heard it was onesided as shit and Carwin got dominated.

Oh and about that corner thing, Raor. I don't know anyone who thinks that way. Not me, or anyone I've fought with or trained with. Everyone I've ever met who did any kind of competition fighting listened to their corners. I'm sure some assholes ignore their corner, but I don't think its all too common.

Also, when a dude has a guy turtling on him, instead of trying to land ineffective head strikes, which can get you carded for hitting the back of the head; just punch the dude in the ass and mess up his sciatic nerve.

EDIT: Code word "brown boxer"

Edited by Enganacious

Wasn't really impressed with this weekend's mma. I also will rescind my previous comment. Carwin got whipped

also, can't believe I missed the thing with Fedor getting pummled like he did in February. He's just too small to fight with some of these young giants now. Especially at his age. Perhaps he can still compete at Light Heavy.

Edited by Densuo