Widow

SLjunkie

Well, this is my staple quad for SL. I wanted to make it competitive but not totally standardized and unoriginal. This was the result.

Widow (5120[31]/5197)

Bee

Hadro

Knot

MARE

WS-3

Roz

Sa44

DD/20 (drop option)

XSP (drop option)

-

GNL15

RF150

HG100

s-scr, e/scr, stab, lfcs, trn, clpu, inia, maw

Mathias-esque paint scheme.

The BEE and the XPS are the main things that set it apart. The coolest thing about this quad is the use of the XSP extensions. These are used in place of the DD/20 against quads and tanks with the GNL and vs any other ACs with heat weapons and no missiles. Using them takes about 200 heat damage off on a GNL shot and they work well vs handguns too. The FLEET fits and I was using it for a while, but I think the MARE is better here, even though the drain is very low for a quad.

I'd say in a bad way, but since you can drop it it's negligible. I'd definitely stick with 44 or 77 for a radiator, though. No reason to upgrade. I honestly can't remember the weight/drain of the XSP, though. I'd assume you could tack on missiles in its stead for same weight/drain, though. I'm a fan of missiles.

XSP is 173, so the only thing that it really drop alternates well with is the dd/20.

I don't know...you're going to drop the dd/20 vs tanks and quads without missiles anyway, and the XSP shaves off about 200 AP loss from a GNL shot. Seems a lot better than nothing vs quads and tanks. I actually think it's a cool/good idea.

I don't see any big problems. You went with basic and straightforward options on every part of the AC except the extension. You definitely had some leeway to pick something out of the ordinary because of it.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the bee setting it apart?

Hmm? But almost every bot ran bee, misteye, or skyeye, quad or otherwise. 008 (or whichever head it was with high AP)+a10 was popular too, but yiv+a10 fell out of style quickly (it fell out back in AC3). For the US side, anyways, I think I played against every big quad player in the country or was at least in frequent contact with them.

Bee and Misteye were the two most popular heads throughout the SL era, for both here and Japan. Perhaps there's a new scene now you're referring to? As far as the one around when SL was the game, what I've mentioned is what was going down. I know that SL still sees action in Japan though, so I'm thinking that could also be what you're referring to.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the design, I'm just saying that I don't think bee sets it apart. I couldn't care less about novelty; strong design mechanics always matters more to me.

EDIT: oh yeah, for fleet vs mare. Either works. It's more or less a preference thing in this bot's case. I'd probably run fleet, myself.

Edited by Colon Mokto

Ok cool. I can't say I participated in any big tournaments or anything, but I just remember seeing some of the strongest designs in the footage and posted on forums and never really saw the bee. In fact, I think the only one was your SVRT design from MOC4 (that was you right?). I saw a lot of Misteye and some YIV or 005 and radar. I think the AC that won the Japanese tourney that's posted on youtube used YIV/A102.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. I'll mess around with the boosters a bit more and I'll post a few of my designs with more original setups and more need for input.

Cheers

Hmm? But almost every bot ran bee, misteye, or skyeye, quad or otherwise. 008 (or whichever head it was with high AP)+a10 was popular too, but yiv+a10 fell out of style quickly (it fell out back in AC3). For the US side, anyways, I think I played against every big quad player in the country or was at least in frequent contact with them.

Bee and Misteye were the two most popular heads throughout the SL era, for both here and Japan. Perhaps there's a new scene now you're referring to? As far as the one around when SL was the game, what I've mentioned is what was going down. I know that SL still sees action in Japan though, so I'm thinking that could also be what you're referring to.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the design, I'm just saying that I don't think bee sets it apart. I couldn't care less about novelty; strong design mechanics always matters more to me.

EDIT: oh yeah, for fleet vs mare. Either works. It's more or less a preference thing in this bot's case. I'd probably run fleet, myself.

Yeah that was me. I ran bee, and so did Franko. Top 5 at MOC4 I think ran...oxi, bee, misteye, 005, bee...and then I think 6-10 were all misteye/bee users. The head was godly. It was the predecessor to the Rock head from AA. The only thing is SL had great balance in the heads so you could run like anything and not suffer much for it.

I thought the Jap winner was using misteye, for the big tourney...Imori ran that head often iirc.

Assuming you were around for the Fantasy Tournaments I used to ran, if you look over the winners and top 4 from each of those tournaments it was always the usual suspects for heads.

AC:SL Design Contest #1

Our first design contest saw a lot of BEE and YIV. 5 out of 13 designs used it. They're probably the most common heads there are in SL, as far as I see. I find BEE to be the better head, though. YIV doesn't feel as useful in practical use. I'd only use it on bots where I'm out of space cuz I stacked other junk on it first.

005 or YIV + radar pack = solid choice in SL

Sa77/CR14 (I forget which one is better), but they make a better choice for radiators w/ 008 cores, just because you can spam OB alot more and not have to worry about heat as much.

OB rules SL, so Rogan's advice is retarded, EO's miss everything in SL, while Mirage OB cores can give you a serious mobility advantage.

Also, XSP is crap, just put the weight into a bigger radiator, SL doesn't underweight (much I should say) so it's not going to give you any serious speed

advantage to drop stuff.

SRFL50 is a solid option for the lefty gun as well, not pressing it as the choice, just saying it's another option.

005 or YIV + radar pack = solid choice in SL

Sa77/CR14 (I forget which one is better), but they make a better choice for radiators w/ 008 cores, just because you can spam OB alot more and not have to worry about heat as much.

OB rules SL, so Rogan's advice is retarded, EO's miss everything in SL, while Mirage OB cores can give you a serious mobility advantage.

Also, XSP is crap, just put the weight into a bigger radiator, SL doesn't underweight (much I should say) so it's not going to give you any serious speed

advantage to drop stuff.

SRFL50 is a solid option for the lefty gun as well, not pressing it as the choice, just saying it's another option.

Agree with everything except the XSP stuff. I can't fit CR14 or SA77 with the BEE. Again, most of the time I'm using DD/20 and dropping the XSP. However, vs the GNL, which is what it's on there for, it's quite good.

Cheers