The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Magnus

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did indeed misread what he was trying to say. Lack of grammar was screwing with me.

Now that I get the original point he was trying to make it makes much more sense. Really only Magicka users had any TRUE incentive to be leveling up.

I would be totally fine with some areas in Skyrim to have enemies that have a minimum, but they shouldn't stay perfectly in place scaling-wise otherwise those area(s) of the map would become boring and annoying to traverse. There are advantages to either system, and it never posed a problem to my personal experience with the game, so yeah.

Just as long as the main forests/roads/mountains/whatever that you have to constantly cross to get from place to place (for when you won't/can't fast travel) still scale. Having random encounters with level 30 shit on day one just because you felt like exploring a little bit would really kill the game if improperly handled.

lol in other words you didnt know what you were talking about, so dont go blaming my grammar.

"you'd have enemies at like level 30, so you'd have to have a minimum level to kill them." aka didnt switch levels or get stronger as you do.

they do the same for armor and weapons. when you get a stronger one they get the same set to combat it, even random enemies like bandits.

Oi, grammar helps understanding, obviously its my fault for misinterpreting but it'd help if you knew how to fucking punctuate is all I'm saying.

As far as bandits go, I figure there armor shouldn't upgrade (lol bandit in Glass Armor) but their weapons should just to allow them to actually be able to fight you. Still holding the same position that a majority of dangerous, non-downward scaling dungeons would be totally cool, but the majority if not all of the outer planes should stay on the scaling system of the previous game to allow, and promote, exploring on the environment, rather than punishing it. At least leave a whole hella warning around places without scaling.

The best system to use is a semi-leveled system that functions closer to the Morrowind side of things. You signify minimum and maximum levels for the things like bandits according to location, as well as making dungeons that are bigger spawn more of the weaker ones once you pass the level cap.

So bandits for example could spawn between the levels of 2-14, and they would level with you with a random modifier of +1/-1 levels or even +2/-2 levels. Let's say you're level 10. If you walk by a bandit spawn point when you're level 10 a bandit between the levels of 8-12 could spawn using the +2/-2 system. If you're level 1, no bandits will spawn, giving you time to get used to the game, rabid animals will spawn instead. Now let's say you're level 14. The max bandit you could spawn would be level 16, with appropriate level 16 gear. If you're 15, still just a 16 max level for bandits with a 12 minimum level. Once you get to level 20, those bandits should start to get pretty easy. They are undergeared and underleveled for you. They are level 12-16 after all. So how do we solve this? Well, we use an old but useful trick. We make more than 1 spawn. Now you start getting 2 bandits level 12-16 that spawn together. We would probably leave it at a max of 2, as well. Then for special zones like dungeons we may up the modifiers so that up to 4 can spawn at once along with changing their level scaling to something like 1-15 with a +3/-2 system.

This kind of system has been used in numerous mods successfully, including ones I've done for both Morrowind and Oblivion, as well as being incorporated in the Fallout series recently. It's the best system we have since it maintains the internal consistency of the games world while still giving the player the ability to free-roam and meet a challenge. Also, I very much believe that there should be places where the enemies spawn level 15-20 at the start of the game and remain only very lightly leveled along with places where the enemies spawn level 1 and remain level 1. It adds a lot of flavor to the game. I know that a large number of core TES players (including me) were very unhappy with the Oblivion ultra leveled system.

• 3 months later...

That was just a bug in a pre-release version because of AI factions.

Anyways, I was going to wait until my PC was upgraded and get it on there, but I cracked and got it on 360. I'll just get it on PC down the road. A little unimpressed with a few freezes, but that's just what I've come to expect from Bethesda games on consoles. Otherwise, the game is fucking amazing.

That was just a bug in a pre-release version because of AI factions.

Anyways, I was going to wait until my PC was upgraded and get it on there, but I cracked and got it on 360. I'll just get it on PC down the road. A little unimpressed with a few freezes, but that's just what I've come to expect from Bethesda games on consoles. Otherwise, the game is fucking amazing.

Actually, I have shot an in-town animal before, and it added 40 bounty until I killed the animal.

I miss testinghall and hawkhaven though. At least there are some rooms with lighting effects going, but it's not the same.

Loading times are 99% better than Oblivion's, and I have yet to CTD like Oblivion does. Gets a thumbs up from me.

Also, someone needs to make this into a shout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCWbl8ajfA8

Edited by Artdeux

Guess I had my facts wrong. My b, haha.

Anyways, Thalmos Embassy mission, a.k.a. fuck stealth and cut everyone up.

And another anyways, next character I make is going to be a lumberjack that runs around with a woodcutter's axe and murders everything.

And a third anyways, Whirlwind is probably the most useful shout.

Honestly, I am pretty disappointed with the Dark Brotherhood quests. Not enough stealthing through imperial sewers I guess. Mages Guild was pretty neat though. Huge dungeons though.

Kind of wish the quest-lines were better tied in with the characters. Have yet to get that feeling of "Fuck, I better use the console to skip this quest to save these NPCs". Always did that with Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood cleansing quest.

On another note, Conjuration is fucking awesome. The bow does crazy damage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/SliVeROVeRloRD/2011-11-13_00001.jpg

Well. Basically played the entire day away, and I'm sold on this being infinitely better than Oblivion. Especially in combat. Really loving the combat. Didn't really get far yet, mostly going to knock out the Winterhold College quest-line first, I imagine, since spellcasting is so overpowered this time around. I mean, the first thing they give you is a flamethrower. That you can upgrade (via perk tree). So good.

And, as aforementioned, Conjuration is fucking awesome. That's probably the only thing in this thread I read since I am aiming to circle around possible spoilers. I'll be back.

Conjuration is so easy to level too, as it gets EXP from casting the spell, holding the weapon and killing things with the weapon. It's like they want forgiveness for how bad it was in Oblivion, where you'd only use it to summon dudes for soulstones. I haven't found an easy way to level Illusion or Alteration though.

It looks like unique items are going to be much better than player-enchanted items. That's too bad. Perhaps a mod will solve that. Still, I'll need to find a list of what items the Daedra shrines give, and the locations of sign stones. Already got Azura's Star and Molag Baal's Mace, which is actually pretty decent in Skyrim.

Also, just found a neat daily Power that I didn't remember I got from the Dark Brotherhood. A summonable Lucian Lechance, that lasts for 10 in-game days. Does some pretty decent damage too without the downside of a permanently killable follower, though I can't tell him to go away or stay in a spot.

Lastly, Ice is great.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/SliVeROVeRloRD/2011-11-13_00005.jpg

I have not been having these. I guess I'll just have to count myself lucky. I love the triple auto-save system they have going, in case the auto-something you wanted to reverse and didn't manually save for a while.

The auto-saves should be keeping a good deal of your progress together. If not, set the timer for auto-save on character select to the smallest time allotment possible. Then just open menu when you're about to freeze and don't touch anything.

Do you get any better flamethrower spells than the starter? Or can you just continue to make the starter better via perk buffs? If it's buffs, I'm cool, as a matter of fact I'd prefer that. Always having to get the better version of every spell sucked.

Am I the only one finding that Stamina is actually really important to running a Mage, since, well.... you run away a lot?

So I found a neat little oversight by Bethesda.

The magicka reduction bonuses are additive, not multiplicative.

Meaning, grab 4 pieces of armour with Destruction Costs -25%, and you can throw fireballs to infinity and beyond.

You can imagine how crazy things get. With a high-enough enchanting skill, boosted by potions and items, you can get the Cost bonus to 50%.

I'll get a youtube up shortly. [EDIT] it's up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jz2e0aAZj8

Edited by Artdeux

The triple auto-save is actually what seems to be making me freeze. If I try to leave Dragonsreach/Mage's College without deleting the oldest two of them, it freezes. It may be a caching problem with my hard drive, since I only have a 4gb, and most of that is taken up by Forza stuff. Until I rule that out, I suppose I can't really blame Bethesda.