AC3 is a candidate for the Smithsonian Art Exhibit!

Peffse

Apparently Armored Core 3 is a candidate for the Smithsonian video game art exibit debuting soon. You can vote on various games to be in the exibit at www.artofvideogames.org

It's under Era 5, Playstation 2, Combat/Strategy (the last genre).

EDIT: Whoopsie, miss-clicked the wrong generation. Sorry about that.

Edited by Peffse

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Oh, I am DEFINITELY voting for Armored Core 3.

Though simplistic, it's a good representative of the series.

AC3 has the ugliest part design, the weakest variety of parts and the absolute most boring single player of all the games in the franchise.

But sure, it's a good representation of the series!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/GriffonsScythe/Jokernotamused.jpg

Well, really, can you tell me I'm wrong? AC3's saving grace is that it has a combination of a decent number of missions (albeit tedious and boring ones) and a pretty solid arena. Other than that, you have a bunch of shit parts ripped straight from Another Age but nowhere near as cool or interesting. The only markedly new and interesting feature in AC3 was the inclusion of left-arm howitzers and the (completely pointless) left-arm flamethrower.

Honestly, my biggest issue with is that everything looks really, really stupid and it does nothing to make up for this. You can call me vain if you like, but then, I said this of ACFA and I was still looking forward to it on the basis that it had promise. Granted, ACFA was a fucking farce and hopelessly squandered any potential it had over a period of five shitty regulations, but I digress. The big issue with AC3 is that the plot (and by extension, a lot of the missions) is shamelessly recycled from AC1, but nowhere near as cool. About the only standout quality in AC3 is the degree of interactivity, in that you have the option to kill somewhere from 15 to 20 ACs across all the missions, but that's really not enough to save it. The fact that the final boss fight is two generic ACs really doesn't help it to stand out either. AA really bitched out about this as well, but then, AA also had three bonus fights with superbosses from the PSX games, and still had more than its share of unique boss fights. AC3 had... Three, one of whom you can stand on top of and blade to death. Sweet man. Factor the comparatively shallow multiplayer experience into all this, and you're left with a game that feels pretty underwhelming even by the standards of AC2 or AA.

I don't think AC3 is a bad game, but uh... It's not an especially good game, either. As far as I'm concerned, it's a warmup for Silent Line.

Edited by Altaire

Well, really, can you tell me I'm wrong? AC3's saving grace is that it has a combination of a decent number of missions (albeit tedious and boring ones) and a pretty solid arena. Other than that, you have a bunch of shit parts ripped straight from Another Age but nowhere near as cool or interesting. The only markedly new and interesting feature in AC3 was the inclusion of left-arm howitzers and the (completely pointless) left-arm flamethrower.

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/6893/picture1de.png

I think that AC3 was a huge improvement over AA. Sure it may not have had the number of arts that AA did but it was starting a whole new series, that always happens. But there was more part variety and the parts were a lot better balanced than they were in AA, I mean what was banned in AC3? The CROW, and that's about it? And I don't know how you're getting that the parts are blander and less interesting. Comparing some of the few parts that did make it from game to game, the SKYEYE and RE/005 look much cooler and more interesting than the NIGHTEYE and EGRET. Sure, the SAWA may not have had its trademark look but it still looked suitably dangerous and there's no way you're gonna argue that the "bullet" itself wasn't the best its ever been. The graphics themselves looked much more polished, the game was faster, the music was better, the balance was a bit better, etc. I'm not saying AA was a bad game, far from it. Just that from an outsiders perspective, AC3 is a much better representation of the series as a whole.

Edited by Griffon

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...