Guilty Gear and/or BlazBlue.

Lenin

Discuss the only fighting games on the market that don't suck balls... Well, the first BlazBlue game was awful, but the sequel looks promising.

Anyway. I'm an A.B.A. main in Guilty Gear, and I play Venom off and on... Used to main Dizzy, but not so much anymore. I'm a shithead who only recently discovered he is a Testament player. As for BlazBlue, I'm a strict Hakumen player.

Edited by Lenin

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, you play Street Fighter? What's your favorite move to spam? Hadouken? Tiger shots? Scissor kicks? Messiah kick? The world is your oyster, and that oyster tastes like spam.

All Street Fighter has is it's timing mechanics. Timing your endless fireballs, timing your DP (LOL NOT ANYMORE, THANK YOU POORLY IMPLEMENTED SHORTCUT SYSTEM), timing your whatever-else, learning the UNLIMITED one-frame-links that are in those games because of Capcom getting it in their heads that difficulty is the exact same thing as depth (KoF has this same problem). You don't really play that game at a certain point as much as you simply exploit it's lame-ass engine.

Edited by Lenin

You can always play 3S, A3, CvS2, and MvC2 if you don't like heavy projectile use and get more flexibility. Cable is obviously an exception haha. ST and SF4 are the big spam fireballs and punish jumpins all day games. They're still good games though on balance alone.

GG is fun but at high levels you get pressure blockstrings that last forever because of everything being bufferable and combos that last 20 seconds and take away over half your life. The cast diversity is pretty amazing, however.

You can always play 3S, A3, CvS2, and MvC2 if you don't like heavy projectile use and get more flexibility. Cable is obviously an exception haha. ST and SF4 are the big spam fireballs and punish jumpins all day games. They're still good games though on balance alone.

3S (Ibuki and Q FTW. Fuck everybody else) and MvC2 (Magneto, Storm, Sentinel vs. Magneto, Storm, Sentinel - Needs moar Ibuki and Q) are fairly okay. The balance is pathetic, though. Outside of 3S, the only almost good SF game on the market is HD Remix because just like 3S, you don't dominate with endless fireballs (LOL IN 3S YOU DOMINATE THROUGH BULLSHIT JUGGLES). 3S can almost be forgiven for it's absolutely retarded balance issues of having only three tiers (broken, almost broken and damn near useless), because of the parry system. But I resent the fact you have to be a goddamn mind-reader to have any sort of success with the not-broken characters.

If you want to talk about balance, then obviously I'll refer you to GG. Aside from the lead-paint-eating Accent Core iteration with Eddie and Testament (Slayer too, if you want to go down that road... but he's not as bad) seeing levels of Godliness that rendered cleanliness unnecessary, the games have been more balanced than Street Fighter ever was. And because I feel like I'm just piling onto SF, I'll say that BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger was a ridiculously unbalanced shitpile of endless fail. Carl vs Tager, 9.5-.5 in Carl's favor. I wish that game was a person so I could shoot it in the fucking face.

GG is fun but at high levels you get pressure blockstrings that last forever because of everything being bufferable and combos that last 20 seconds and take away over half your life.

The pressure you're refering to is only really accessible to a few characters (Eddie/Mr. Cornerrape, Dizzy, Venom, et cetera) and requires a very high level of exeuction. Even the top players fuck it up occasionally. Ignoring Eddie's free unblockables, Venom is the worst to get cornered by, because his pressure never has to end, if you have the skill and if you're not N-Otoko, you don't. But that's your reward for learning the most mindfuckingly complicated character in any fighting game (I think some people would dispute this and cite K9999... What the fuck is SNK trying to prove? But it's really not the same thing).

As for the combos, if you get hit into one of those twenty-second-50%-damage-combos, it's a culmination of your own fuck up and your opponent peacocking in the fight. Just because there's probably a shorter option that does essentially the same damage. The more you play the game, the less it phases you since you learn appropriate retaliation and how to prevent it.

Edited by Lenin

You can't get that from GG and BB. Mainly because the reason you're losing is because the other person has a better rushdown or a better turtle game. There's no in between.

There is no turtling in GG/BB. If someone is turtling, they obviously don't care about their meter. If they don't care about their meter, they should be getting destroyed because they obviously don't know what they're doing. And yes, you do know exactly why you're losing in GG. You're losing because the other person is a better player than you (or you're playing Johnny in Accent Core, fuck that game is stupid).

And we know all the reasons people lose at BlazBlue.

And as far as spamming moves goes, I mean, you expect me to NOT get free damage while you keep walking into my Scissors Kick? You honestly think I'm going to stop doing what I KNOW is working because it bothers you? That's like you asking me to not use 214B xx 623a,a -> 9C -> 663C over and over again. Grow up and get over it. Or even better, get around it.

Never said I had a problem getting around it. I dislike the fact that Street Fighter ecourages you doing the same fucking thing over and over and over and over again. FIREBALL FIREBALL FIREBALL FIREBALL FIREBALL and SCISSOR KICK SCISSOR KICK NOW U R IN THE CORNER HAVE SOME SCISSOR KICK TRAP SCISSOR KICK TRAP SCISSOR KICK TRAP are viable strategies is disgusting. The fact I can competently play Street Fighter at six in the morning when I'm trashed out of my skull should tell everybody something.

That can be said of all games since the dawn of time.

Exactly. It's just harder with GG/BB because they have the learning curve of a fighter jet. It's not overnight.

Edited by Lenin

You're kidding right? What you're telling me is that Arakune/Rachel/Nu can't turtle?

I haven't ever seen Spiderman move forward EVER, except for one time when some beat Arakune player got me corner guard trapped and kept crushing my guard with BEEEEEES.

I've seen Rachel players just hang back throwing shit out when you try to get in and just wait for NegPen to show up before moving forward, get in a quick combo and back out again.

Nu will LOSE if she comes to you because if she gets too close, that puts her too close inside 5D range. It whiffs. Why would she move forward?

You tell me this game has no turtling, when the TOP 3 CHARACTERS can turtle it out better than Dhalsim...

I... I don't see it.

*Edit: The only fighting games I can straight up say there is no turtling in would be Smash and anything from SNK.

Edited by Brit

Apparently I have my own dictionary for fighting game slang:

Turtling (sl.), verb: lacking the testicular awesomeness required to fight; running away and accomplishing nothing. Destined for fail. See the Soul Calibur metagame prior to the conception of the Soul Guage/Critical Finish/custom Cassandra-style male characters teabagging you FTW.

Zoning (sl.), verb: successfully keeping your opponent where you want them via ranged attacks. Destined for fail. Unless you're Nu. (Until BB:CT, Arc actually did everything possible to discourage this)

They sound similar on paper, but the difference is like heaven and Earth in practice. There's a big difference between what CT Nu and Dhalsim do in comparison to what say, Bison gets forced into against Zangief.

Edited by Lenin

Have you guys been reading up on BB:CS?

New characters for console version:

Tsubaki

Hazama

mu-12 (;) :P :P)

Btw Brit, Hakumen gets a new C attack in BB:CS that seems to have a good amount of range and launches fast. ;)

Plus most if not all C attacks are chargeable, and when hit by a charged C, causes stun. ;)

Oh, and now I think counter wonrks on projectiles and summons a black hole of sorts. ;)

Edited by TemjinZero

Ibuki and Q (shit, can't forget Hugo)'s awesomeness are the only real redeeming factors to 3S. MvC2 is awesome for funsies, but it's just too unbalanced to be a good competitive game. So is BB:CT (though I did see some curve balls with CT at SBO '09).

Back to Ibuki. Capcom screwed the pooch on this one - And Ibuki's new legs looked to Chun-Li, and said unto her: "Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery." Even though it's just the outfit, it sucks. Does this ninja garb make my thighs look like two holiday hams on 'roids? She better be dressed like a hooker in her alt. costume.

Edited by Lenin

It was just that one still. They look better in motion:

. That video is just great actually. Fastforward to 0:25 and watch Makoto give Ibuki the FAAAAAAAALCON PUUUUUUUNCH.

Anyway, let's try to get back to GG/BB.

Edited by Lenin

• 1 month later...

Continuum Shift is really fun to play. Until one of the usual no-lifers come to the arcade, who then spend twenty dollars trying to corner you and do infinite combo loops and general cheap douchebaggery.

But when I do get to play it, I can fully admire the new characters as well as older character improvements. Hakumen's new sword whip attack is pretty tight and adds a good wad to his range game. How he also turns projectiles into deathballs with his sword is epic, and my girlfriend yelled at me for throwing her into them.

Good times (besides the former mentioned).

Still waiting on Guilty Gear 2 2. I think Arc felt bad about what they did.

I've actually gotten back into BB:CT in preparation for CS, after hearing that Jin got proper castrated. Also so did Arakune, but that doesn't bother me too much, because from what I saw he got a really useful new Bee, and while his Curse is arguably better (Less damage, but new bug looks very useful and can't be hit out of it), it's less spammable. That's a fair trade I think. Now I won't feel so bad about using the bees. Edited by Griffon

• 1 month later...

I'm necromancing my own thread, since I do am back from the dead.

Six weeks without an internet connection or television and an Xbox in RROD status gave me a good amount of time to rebuild my Guilty Gear form. I figured I might as well since Ishiwatari stated that he has "full intention of bringing Guilty Gear to the PS3 and Xbox 360". God only knows how long it'll take, but better late than never. I'm also sort of pissed that I discovered I am a Testament player so late in my GG career... that being said, I'm pretty much demanding that Arc hit my newfound main with the nerfbat in this alleged forthcoming next-gen Guilty Gear. I'd like to see him be pretty much exactly how he was in #R, just with a forward EXE Beast. This Badlands loop stuff is boring as shit.

As for BlazBlue, with any luck I should be able to get a brand new Xbox before Continuum Shift gets ported to the US. I really just hated Calamity Trigger, but now that it appears to actually be somewhat balanced, or at the very least has a more manageable top-tier, and most importantly, my main man Hakumen was fixed (not buffed, but fixed), I'm really looking forward to CS.

Guilty Gear already went to Xbox! What are you talking about?

And you do know Blazblue releases the same day in both Japan and America, right?

Also, Hakumen was buffed. His sword turns projectiles into floating traps. And was given a super turbo poke.

Gosh, so out of the loop.

Edited by Obscure