Weight Lifting

The Talentless

My Current Workout

One of the few activites I'm dedicated to. I'm alwaze able to have interesting converations with schoolmates about weightlifting, so why not here. What does everybody else do? Feel free to gloat. You can even lie to make youself feel good over the internet.

Anyhow, like I asked, what does anyone else do for their lifting?

Also, I'm currently at 145lbs body weight. I'll post maxes for important exercises later.

Edited by Jackson

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do something similar to that. When I first started back in highschool I was trying all sorts of stuff, but mostly stuck to "a little bit of everything every other day."

One point I was doing 300 pushups within a 20 minutes timespan every day to work on my chest. It didn't really help me out a lot though.

Near the beginning of high school, and throughout all of college I've been doing either monday, wednesday, friday or tuesday, thursday, friday-- one day for either chest/tris, back/bis, legs.

Each is 5 exercises, each exercise is 4 sets of between 10-20 reps, depending on weight. It's not always good to stay at either low rep, high weight or high reps, low weight-- you have to mix it up to get yourself out of plateaus and keep your body guessing.

I used to be big on supplements, but not anymore. As long as you eat decently and know when to maximize your nutrient intake, you should be fine. In short, your body loves sugar and carb intake after you workout moreso than you think. In fact it can be just as important as protein intake after workout. You want to stimulate glucose production to help your body get in anabolic state. Speaking of anabolic state, lots of water and good fatty foods go a long ways too.

I was 6 foot, 140 back in highschool. I'm currently 6 foot, 158.

My maxes? Hm, I dont' really remember them all that well because I usually dont' work out just to max, but I remember for bench press it was around 230 at one point, but that was quite literally at my peak of chest workouts. I'm probably down to 180 or so now-- although mainly when I bench I just do sets of 140-150; around 100 on incline. At my peak I was doing sets with 170.

As for squats, I never was big on going super heavy with anything that involved knees. I usually stay around and under the 200lb range. (Although ironically enough one of my staples for my leg workouts for the longest time has been the leg extension, which is arguably the worst thing you could do to your knees. At my peak, I was repping 250 pounds on that-- only when fresh though, if I did 4 sets of squats before leg extensions, I found repping around 110lbs to be hard enough.)

Edited by TMRaven

We have a squat rack for legs but I still get psyched out on heavy weight; it's hard to go below parallel. Right now I'm working 255, which is also my deadlift and shrug weight. Probably not my max, but it'd only be a few pounds more.

As for bench, the most I've ever put up this past december was 205, but then something happened (and by something, I mean I dont know what the hell happened) and I was struggling with 170ish the next month. I've worked my way back up to 195 currently.

I try to stick to the exercises in the link, but father doesn't follow it well. Plus neither of us are sure how each day is supposed to go for the following weeks.

That's cause we don't know if we're supposed to do 2 sets- three reps; then 2 sets- four reps; then 2 sets- five reps; then move to 3 sets- 3 reps, and etc.

Deadlift is by far my favourite exercise, too. I try to get my friends to do them, but they are scared of them. haha

I've also never been big on the supplements. A large glass of chocolate milk is fine for me. Though I have started using pre-workout supplements. Crashed really hard today, though.

Edited by Jackson

Easy enough to approach and do them when going light weight. I was pretty surprised just how much I'd get sore from doing dead lifts with very light weight-- I'm talking only 130lbs. Deadlifts were the main catalyst for one of my major anabolic states in my weight gain over the last 6 years too. I was literally at a plateau for months and months, and then one day I mixed in dead lifts with back workout, and one week later I gained 5 pounds.

What a truly great exercise, I'd even put it above squats in importance-- but that's just me talking. Squats and deadlifts are two exercises everybody needs to do though. If you're working out your everything in your body-- including legs, but not doing either one, you might as well not be working out.

I haven't been lifting for some time but I know one thing, if your objective is to gain mass this is how you do it.

work out every other day and your workouts should be no more then 4 days a week.

two muscle groups a day. here is an example

mon-chest/tri's = push day

tues-rest

Wen-Back/bi's

thurs-rest

Fri-Legs

sat-abs-midsection/

sun-rest.

you can do your cardio on your rest days but I would advice not doing caridio beyond warmups while you are gaining mass

you don't need to do 4 sets per exercise and doing more then that can be overtraining unless you are more advanced. it is less about long duration of exercises and more about a burst of power that rapidly strains the muscles. so do 3 sets per exercise.

around 3 to 4 exercises per group. however for groups like bi's and tri's you may do only two because if you do chest for example you will prefatigue the tri's before hand so you don't need to do so much.

reps should 7 where on the seventh you are fatgued meaning that you could do 8 but it would ber very hard.

you should NOT go to failure, meaing you cannot do another rep untill the last set of each exercise and I would not do failure every workout but every other workout. the reason is that muscle failure releases grouth hormones but it also lowers testosterone.

eating lots of protine is important and carbs as well. eat like a fucking horse about 5 to 6 times a day and take shakes.

keep increasing your weight every week to two weeks by 5 to 10 lbs.

keep pushing and MASTER your forms.

I weigh 165 right now which is my natural weight and I am 6'2. when I was lifting in about 6 or 8 months I went to 175/180 and was all muscle. the above plan is how I did it. I am naturally an ectomorph which means I have low fat and muscle but with that above method I got size QUICK.

if that is what you want to get something to shred up and mold, that WILL work I promise you.

Everybody responds differently to different routines. There is no universal way.

but there is such a thing as fast and slow twitch muscle fibers. to build fast twicth which is explosive power you need to lift heavy to build more of that. if you don't push your self you will not make gains. that IS universal.

also if you don't eat enough then you will not make gains either.

I'm a hard gainer but I put on 15 lbs in less then a year, and I could have done better if I wasnt working so much.

just because people have diferent body types does not mean there are not princibles to this dude.

And for some reason you don't think I already know this.

That still doesnt' take away the fact that different people respond differently to different workouts. I had a korean/white friend who was a hard gainer just like me. He responded COMPLETELY different to high reps, low weight and working out basically every day or every other day for the same muscle group, it was the only way he could gain weight.

I on the other hand never thrived from a workout like that. Being a hard gainer myself and having a body made up of majority slow twitch muscle, I thrived from extremely fatiguing and demanding workouts for each muscle group, but only once a week per each muscle group.

The professional bodybuilders that my workout body used to work with back in the 90s, they each had their own regimen as well, to best suit their body's specific demands. I found it pretty amazing how different their workouts were when my buddy told me about them. Ultimately there was one thing that they all shared success with, and that was steroids.

I'm not trying to deny that there are universal principles in weight-training, but I'm just merely stating that your exact regimen might not work on an individual you're recommending it to. I used to subscribe to muscle and fitness for 3 years, and have read through most of them, why do you think they're writing so much articles about different techniques and schemes? Because everybody is trying to find something new that works for them, that other regimens they already tried couldn't do. Difference in weight gain can even come down to diet intake between person and person. Some people benefit more from mass protein intake than others. It just depends on their genetic makeup.

Edited by TMRaven

TM, but gaining size Is the result of working the fast twitch, which you can only get by lifting heavy. doing light wieght with high reps just will not put on size because all your working is slow twitch. you will of cours get SOME size but it would be nothing like working fast twitch fibers.

To quote you from the cqc thread with jozay:

dude I got you. your saying they (diferent [people) respond completly diferent. but I am saying that while that may be true to some extent, nothing can overide the biological fact that fast twitch and slow twitch fibers are engaged by working them in certain ways as opposed to it just being random.

your not going to grow your fast twitch fibers by doing aerobics, no matter how hard you work, it's just going to get you more defined and maybe even cause you to loose muscle depending on how you eat.

that's another thing how are all these people you know eating, and when are they eating and how much?

I am simply disagreeing that it is all over the place as you seam to claim.

Wow, Armored Core and Lifting in the same site. My two hobbies.

My own current workout is:

Chest + Back

Legs

Shoulders + Arms

Rest

Full Body

With Core and Cardio every day. Regrettably, thats all I have time for nowadays. Later this summer I plan to switch back to my ten day routine.

I like to take a Vitamin, Protein and a Stimulant for when I workout. The stimulant doesn't seem to be doing anything though and I'll probably drop it. Unfortunately being a college student I'm really a creature of convenience and I eat whatever can't escape from me when I'm hungry.

Maxes... Hmm, I don't train to max at the moment. My current final set for bench is 285 4-6 reps, squats is 365 6-8 reps, Straight leg deads are at 225 for 8-10 reps. I'm 5'11 and weight 200-205. Anybody else have a weight that fluctuates?

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, okay. It just threw me off because your weight had gone down rather than up.

And I'm guessing by two plates, you mean olympic weights, with two 45's on each side, yes?

Indeed. I can keep my form on 2 plates. I KNOW I can do more, but I'm focusing on proper form above all else.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-perform-the-...oper-technique/

So I've been doing this quite shittily for the past... ever. I didn't realize how hard of an exercise it was to perform. I was forcing up 155 but I dropped to 135 today with better form. Still a bit too heavy to get it down pat, I think.