Boxing

Densuo

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I should have made this thread ages ago. Except I just recently became a boxing fan shortly after I started boxing. I am now officially a fan of pac-man. Everything about his style looks like what I'd like mine to be.

Pacquiao was actually a very clumsy brawler at first. the main reason he's the monster he is now.... is because of Freddie Roach who's honed him into what he is now.

Some videos:

one of the most epic rounds in history. Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs Thomas The Hitman Hearns in "The Fight" round 1. Ren. You'll already know that Hajime no Ippo's Mashiba Ryo used the "Hitman Stance" named after Hearns. It's called the Philly Shell. On another note. Sendo's Smash, a combination of the Hook and Uppercut, is called a Shovel Hook.

Thomas Hearns vs Pipino Cuevas. quite frankly a nasty NASTY knockout. Notice the knockout is a certain chopping right.....

Pipino Cuevas showing why he was reffered to as the "Butcher of Mexico" a simple, short left hook, and a man crumples.

Ricardo Lopez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2grzz0G_ek8...feature=related

Ricardo "El Finito" Lopez. Hey... Renketsu.... remember Ricardo Martinez? yeah.... THAT monster from Hajime No Ippo... THIS is the guy the artist was referring to. there's videos on youtube showing him fighting in Japan. the Japanese have LOTS of respect for him. some of the comments on youtube have the Japanese specifically stating that the guy is simply too strong (Most favored comment in second vid. and yes. he retired undefeated. Lopez executes Calmly and Cooly. Shal I just skip to some of his fine KO's? but of course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc0A_e8-DKI...feature=related

Edited by Densuo

one of the most epic rounds in history.

A lot of it looks really sloppy to me. Is it the guts that people admire here or some super secret I'm missing?

Thomas Hearns vs Pipino Cuevas. quite frankly a nasty NASTY knockout. Notice the knockout is a certain chopping right.....

My great-uncle jumped in the ring after the fight. I really need to learn more about our team's history and all the fighters we've had.

Ricardo Lopez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2grzz0G_ek8...feature=related

Ricardo "El Finito" Lopez. Hey... Renketsu.... remember Ricardo Martinez? yeah.... THAT monster from Hajime No Ippo... THIS is the guy the artist was referring to. there's videos on youtube showing him fighting in Japan. the Japanese have LOTS of respect for him. some of the comments on youtube have the Japanese specifically stating that the guy is simply too strong (Most favored comment in second vid. and yes. he retired undefeated. Lopez executes Calmly and Cooly. Shal I just skip to some of his fine KO's? but of course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc0A_e8-DKI...feature=related

This guy's actually pretty cool to me. He's got the slight forward lean I want to adopt. Haven't seen the second season of ippo yet though.

Edited by renketsu0

Dude, seriously. Fuck Comic Sans. I know you're trolling with it and you're doing a good job but just stop, hahaha. I can't stand that font. It's one of the most hated fonts around (it and Papyrus). It's hard to read, whether it's printed or on a display, and it looks like shit.

On the other hand, Garamond is a nice font.

Yeah pacman originally was really reckless and had no defense. Got him into trouble all the time, and all his early losses were basically because he was too reckless. Eventually he learned to settle down some, and he hasn't looked back since. Dood gets better every fight, too. Pretty rediculous.

A lot of it looks really sloppy to me. Is it the guts that people admire here or some super secret I'm missing?

A super secret you're missing. There's nothing sloppy about that round. They're throwing crisp, hard, punches from crazy angles and essentially they're just trying to kill each other but neither is giving an inch. Lots of heart and skill on display in that round. Hearns broke his hand in that round, too. Crazy. My only complaint on the match, and it's totally nitpicking, is that we couldn't see more flicker jabs since both of those doods wanted to kill each other so badly.

The only way I could see you saying it's "sloppy" is because they're not going for traditional defense. Both are staying in the pocket and weaving instead of backing up and maintaining space with jabs. That's not sloppy, though. You wouldn't call early Mike Tyson sloppy, would you?

Ricardo Martinez is the deity of HNI. Him and Takamura are the most powerful doods in the entire manga.

honestly I'm not trolling with comic sans I've always liked the font to be honest.

the thing with Hearns and hagler is that quite frankly... these are two guys whom at that point CLEARLY did not like each other. Hearns is actually a guy who prefers to box. he was asked why he didnt just box him. response: I brawled with him because I had to. the love of this round is that for all intents and purposes both men went center of the ring and proceeded to drop bombs. Hagler is no punching power slouch, and we all know damn well Hearns wasnt (prolly most dangerous puncher ever at his prime weight.). They have nothing but respect for each other now though

early tyson lead with the uppercut(his strongest punch), built like a line backer weaved like a small person.... that's scary as hell.

Takamura's a beast, so it's even much more of an emphasis on how truly badass Martinez is when Takamura himself refers to him as a monster and how he uses Ippo, at this point a champion... just to warm up his damn left.

Ricardo Lopez was intelligent though he retired the instant he felt his reflexes slipping. smart man.

Also... if you havent look up vids of George Foreman... in his prime... His punching power was absurd.

Larry Holmes to this day IMO has the best jab the heavyweight division's ever had

I really like boxing, but honestly know very little about it. I've read all of Ippo, so there's that.

The only active ones who I've seen more than a few fights of are Steve Molitor and Wladimir Klitschko.

check out who they named the Dempsey Roll after. Jack Dempsey. you'll see it in action and how he just crushes people with it. when he was already old he got jumped by a buncha dudes, he knocked all their asses the fuck out and restrained them till the cops showed up.

for active fighters check out Juan Manuel Marquez. The guy is an animal.

check out who they named the Dempsey Roll after. Jack Dempsey. you'll see it in action and how he just crushes people with it. when he was already old he got jumped by a buncha dudes, he knocked all their asses the fuck out and restrained them till the cops showed up.

for active fighters check out Juan Manuel Marquez. The guy is an animal.

Yeah I'm familiar with a few guys that don't fight anymore, Dempsey being one of them (largely because of Ippo), and other famous guys like Tyson and Foreman, and etc. (though sadly with someone like Ali, I'm probably more familiar with Laila than Muhammad). Other than household names, I can really only think of Arturo Gatti. They were all pretty good at knocking people out.

Thing I always tend to think is that boxing isn't as good as it used to be, but I'm thinking that's probably only because when looking back you watch the good fights of the good fighters and skip the rest.

That was pretty humiliating. I personally think a boxer can contend on equal ground with any other type or fighter, provided that boxer has been trained to defend against all other types of attacks. This guy looked like he had never seen a kick before.

I'd disagree, a boxer can train for leg kicks, but what if he's facing a BJJ black belt or somebody who's going to take him down and sub him.

Boxing is just one focused discipline of striking, I feel that kickboxing/muai thai are more complete as striking arts; but then again there are not many kickboxers who could box with Klitschko or Manny, in a strictly boxing match.

Also, if you go doing the Dempsy Roll in an MMA fight and duck down you might end up eating a knee, which wouldn't be good; just saying.

I'd disagree, a boxer can train for leg kicks, but what if he's facing a BJJ black belt or somebody who's going to take him down and sub him.

I personally think a boxer can contend on equal ground with any other type or fighter, provided that boxer has been trained to defend against all other types of attacks.

You're assuming the boxer hasn't been trained for that type of stuff. I'm assuming he is.

Also, if you go doing the Dempsy Roll in an MMA fight and duck down you might end up eating a knee, which wouldn't be good; just saying.

Also, if you go doing the Dempsy Roll in an boxing match and duck down you might end up eating a uppercut, which wouldn't be good; just saying.

You're assuming way too much here. It makes no sense for a boxer to fight someone trained in MMA the same way he would fight another boxer. Different game, different rules, different training. If someone grapples him he can wrestle a little, and if someone goes for a takedown he can lower his weight just like anybody else. I think your idea of this imaginary MMA boxer is a lot more static than mine.

Side note: I know the knee would be a much worse hit to take. I just think it's a bit funny how you try to use extremely specific examples to counter extremely broad points. Boxers jump into every fight planning to use the Dempsey Roll? I don't think so.

James Toney decided to challenge Randy Couture in mma. couture raped him. when asked if he'd step in the boxing ring with Toney Couture politely declined, admitting he'd get knocked out real quick. Let's not get into the whole MMA vs Boxing thing. as an entertainment medium Boxing is clearly superior.

taking a pure boxer in against a pure wrestler in a wrestling match is suicide

You'll see a dempsey roll here from 34-40

el Smash/Shovel Hook

Random trivia. The small fry that Rocky couldn't catch in Rocky 2? That was Roberto Duran.

Picture perfect right hand. Thomas Hearns vs Roberto Duran

Duran was scared of Hearns. Duran, known for both his hands of stone and sturdy chin was hurt so bad he went to the wrong corner at the end of the first round. Easily one of the most brutal knockouts ever.

Randy Couture would probably fair better in a boxing match, then James Toney faired in that MMA fight; granted, Couture would still probably lose.

Boxing isn't as demanding of the individual as MMA is, in MMA you have to be a wrestler, a striker, understand submission grappling, and be a serious athlete.

EDIT: James Toney was talking all sorts of shit about MMA fighters before that fight, btw.

EDIT EDIT: I somewhat agree with Densuo, but I think kickboxing is more entertaining than boxing; but MMA is a two-way street, you have exiting finishes and 15/25 minute sweaty dick punching contests (which suck). Boxing on the whole can be pretty boring too (although way less likely), that fight between Pacquiao and Joshua Clottey was boring.

I'm not saying that Overeem could beat Klitschko in a boxing match, that's Klitschko's game; but I don't think Klitschko would stand a chance in K-1 or MMA.

There's also the whole Anderson Silva wanting to box Roy Jones Jr, I would have to put money on Anderson Silva, because he's just insanely good.

Edited by Enganacious

Randy Couture would probably fair better in a boxing match, then James Toney faired in that MMA fight; granted, Couture would still probably lose.

Boxing isn't as demanding of the individual as MMA is, in MMA you have to be a wrestler, a striker, understand submission grappling, and be a serious athlete.

EDIT: James Toney was talking all sorts of shit about MMA fighters before that fight, btw.

EDIT EDIT: I somewhat agree with Densuo, but I think kickboxing is more entertaining than boxing; but MMA is a two-way street, you have exiting finishes and 15/25 minute sweaty dick punching contests (which suck). Boxing on the whole can be pretty boring too (although way less likely), that fight between Pacquiao and Joshua Clottey was boring.

I'm not saying that Overeem could beat Klitschko in a boxing match, that's Klitschko's game; but I don't think Klitschko would stand a chance in K-1 or MMA.

There's also the whole Anderson Silva wanting to box Roy Jones Jr, I would have to put money on Anderson Silva, because he's just insanely good.

Randy wold have faired far better then toney did. toney in his prime was a beast but he's far past it. and he got what was coming for talking trash.

Anderson Silva vs Roy Jones both in their primes? Jones would have raped him. Jones had all the crazy movement of Silva and is quite larger. I don't buy it when people say size doesn't matter. Right now? Jones gets KO'd. again. his talents are gone, and unlike Bernard Hopkins, he never fleshed out his fundamentals and the fool STILL keeps his god damn lead hand low.

Clottey was a spectator. he, just like Mosley was there for the paycheck. Mexico vs Puerto Rico is the best fight in boxing. Both countries have respect for each other and its pretty much always a friggin war in there.

on a side note, unless you're someone like Hearns who can effectively box and are tossing flickers (like in the Duran v Hearns fight I posted you need to keep your god damn hands up, I HATE seeing people drop their hands like that it's infuriating. Especially when you're fighting someone far faster then you or someone who can put you to sleep.

I WILL say one thing UFC has that is FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR superior to Boxing. There is only one god damn champ per weight class. I can tolerate the sanctioning bodies. Honestly. I can. Unification etc. is fine.

But when I look at the WBC, I get really REALLY pissed the hell off. Some weight classes have as much as 3 champions in the WBC alone:

Champion in Recess (fighter is hurt after most recent fight and must recover.) so he can come back after wards and can immediatley challenge the current champion

Interim Champion: I have no clue what the hell this is. I'm going to guess and say that if the champ is in recess and they make the 1 and 2 contenders fight winner is interim and must fight the Champ in recess to become...

Champion Emiretus: Ok. so you're the super champion?

The WBC when Pacquiao and Clottey were gonna fight it was a catch weight, WBC, wanting to get in on the money and get a sanctioning fee (which is what its all about really) wanted to introduce a 'diamond belt' for a catch weight, an unofficial weight.

Nowadays unifications are rare. Why? Simple. Money and prestige. WBO champ and WBC champ want to fight. WBC is scurred because they're positive the WBO champ is gonna wax his ass, they'll threaten to strip the champion of his belt because they want him to fight *insert random non-worthy but oddly high ranked WBC fighter here* to keep the sanction fees rolling only to them.

UFC has one champ per weight class. Period. the big flaw here is that MMA fighters dont get much cash. But on the up again, unlike in boxing most casuals don't really knock a guy for having some losses in their record as opposed to boxing where just one loss is prone to making a fighter disappear nowadays.

Another good thing I'll give props to MMA is the referees. They are exceptionally good in my opinion at stopping fights. I'm of the type that prefers an early stoppage (hey, we can do it again) as opposed to a stoppage that happens too damn later and can result in a bad BAD KO for all the wrong reasons as I'll post now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpdeONftgaA...feature=related "Merciless" Ray Mercer dropping the beats on Tommy Morrison.

There's times when even some boxers get mad at refs for this. Pacquiao was looking at the ref wondering why the Margarito fight wasn't stopped, Mercer knocks on the ref here in the vid too. When a guy is obviously out on his feet it's the ref's job to stop it. At the same time so is the corner's.

• 2 weeks later...

Was not impressed with Chavez Jr. he will not survive an encounter with Sergio Martinez.

Carl Froch beat Glen Johnson, though not very convinvingly. that sets up the final for Showtime's Super Six boxing Classic. should be good.