The Last Airbender

Hollywood

His movies aren't nearly the worst I've seen... It's just been eight years since he made a particularly good one.

The trailer for Airbender appears lame. I have this sneaking suspicion that it will be a made-for-the-SciFi-channel-film-with-slightly-better-CGI for which I'm expected to pay to see (Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, anyone?). That, and even in the trailer, the acting looks like bloody crap.

Edited by Lenin

I guess we'll just have to see, won't we ?

Not really. The show was bad (even by standards of other animation aimed at children, but that market's just been awful since Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Laboratory and Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy went off the air), so it only stands to reason that the live action reimagining would be as well. I can't think of a single instance where a live action film really ever surpassed it's animated counterpart anyway.

But, yeah. I'll definitely wait until I can rent it. Since it's an M. Night Shyamalan movie, I wonder how it'll end...

Ten bucks on everyone finding out that the movie was actually retarded the whole time.

It looks like a movie.

Pretty much.

-----------------

Oh, and just a correction: it really isn't anime. It's an American show made for Nickelodeon. They tried really hard to pass it off as legit/pure anime, when that failed, they started saying that the animation style "drew inspiration from" (blatantly ripped off) anime in respect to the East Asian theme, motif and aesthetic of the show.

[tirade]In reality, Nickelodeon was really just trying to increase their market share by trying to get in on the massive (and undeserved) success of those shitty 4Kids Entertainment dubs that are just simply as repulsive as they are offensive in their unrelenting condescension to the viewing public. Christ, I hate 4Kids. I've never seen any entity, corporate or otherwise (with the exception of the Parents Television Council and Focus On The Family) be so hellbent on making sure children are a tenfold more ignorant of the outside world than they would be had they not spent their time viewing dubbed anime. Fuck them.[/tirade]

insert rant here

Completely agreed on all fronts there. I wasn't a fan of the Last Airbender for a while, but eventually gave it a chance. It was okay until it really started digging into the ground with it's own plots and morality and stuff I couldn't care about, and from there it really failed to get my attention. I saw every episode and I now feel justified in saying it sucked hard. It was like they were trying to pull off some punkass emo anime feel, but they couldn't even do that. The characters started getting repetitive and the episodes were turning into little games of what anime they could rip off half assed. In the end, I found that the conclusion was really, REALLY stale.

I mean come on Aang. You couldn't kill the firelord? He kills everyone you know and love and you just took away his power? Geez, for all this emotion, you really pissed away a decent ending. Right next to Wangsterbater, er, I mean Zuko.

Oh, and the fandom.... dear lordy, I don't even wanna get into that. They made me wanna throw every 15 year old girl off a cliff. :/

It's a sad day when I wanna watch a 4kids show over something. I at least get riceball shaped donuts.

All in all, this movie will suck, and there will be aliens in there somewhere to make it all the worse. RIP good television and RIP good movies. You will be missed.

Edited by Pendragon

you guys really should go into the movie review business. you sound just like those posers that make comments about things looking bad before it's even out and playing.

Why don't you reveiw video games while you're at it and act like those fools on G4 who think that they have some clue of what they are talking about.

Hey Livewire, why don't you get the dumbass out of your ears and listen? I said I watched the whole series, so I'm entitled to critique it. And frankly, what business do you have saying this movie will be the best in the world when it's gonna be an adaptation of a poor TV series with M. Night Douchealon makiing it? Do you REALLY have that much faith in Hollywood?

And you should be glad I don't pimpsmack your ass for even thinking of comparing me to those half baked retards on G4 who stopped reviewing games for the sake of making a low comedy sketch show with mild resemblance to games.

Or I just assume you're one of those people who drool all day and marvel over pretty graphics and how Avatar was TEH BEST MOVAY EVAR zomg! AND SINCE THE LAST AIRBENDER HAS PRETTY GRAPHICS TOO YOU CAN JUST DIE BECAUSE IT'S GONNA BE SUCH A KAWAII EXPERIENCE ROFLROFL AND U CAN WRITE ZUTARA FANFICTION IN YOUR BASEMENT WHILE YOU CONTINUE GOING TO THE REMAINS OF ACO AND TALK ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU HATE ARMORED CORE AND YIFF OVER HOW GUNDAM IS SO AWESOME BECAUSE THEY CUT THEMSELVES EVERY DAY OVER HOW MUCH THEIR FAMILIES DIE AND HOW GRAPHICS MEAN EVERYTHING! BUT HEY I GUESS NOT EVERYONE CAN BE BORN WITH A BRAIN HUR HUR HUR NOW I AM FUNNY GIVE ME A MIC I'LL DO STANDUP HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AM I FUNNY NOW?!

*wipes away drool* Sorry. I went on a rant there. I hope you get what I'm saying though. I've had enough with Avatar. And frankly, I hope this movie just dies. But I know it won't because every 14 year old in America will go to it. Though I'm not gonna be a nazi and say you can't like it. I just still have bad memories of seeing the Avatar fandom in action. Really bad memories. :/

Edited by Pendragon

rant

Whoa there, partner. Let's investigate this further.

In liveheart's post, I believe he was speaking in the general "you." Not you (Pendragon) specifically. This is signified by when he said "you guys." Also, what I believe drew the most vitriol from him was from this:

All in all, this movie will suck, and there will be aliens in there somewhere to make it all the worse. RIP good television and RIP good movies. You will be missed.

You took an opinion, which you're totally allowed to have, and then turned it into a blanket statement about the current state of television and movies. You did this based on a movie based on a cartoon.

You also did one other thing which probably irked him. You made a judgment on a film you haven't seen, using the trailer and the cartoon it was based off of as your evidence. Not exactly a strong argument...and certainly one open to a counter-attack.

Is Lionwire awful with words? Yeah. He's always been that way. You probably knew that. No need to start foaming at the mouth, though. He's allowed to have an opinion, too. You started the attacking language, he just ran with it.

I can't believe I just defended Lionheartwire. Fuck. And you know what the worst part is? Hated Aries made the most sensible post in this thread, with:

It looks like a movie.

Unbelievable.

How does one behave as an avatar fanboy/girl, anyhow? youtubes or anything? I've never met one. ;)

Second edit: wait, I'm confused here. Are we talking jamescameronavatar or last airbender in that last uhhh..."paragraph?"

Edited by Penguin Deus

I'm just going with the simple approach to this, I'll be sad that there doesn't seem to be any of Azula. But. it's a movie I'm fine with the special effects honestly they should aim for even more of an over the top style. Kind of given up with the plot but seems to be following book 1 relativly close barring filler (book 1 had alot of that).

The action scenes will be good at least if they aim for a style from the last few episodes. Rather than that.... Iroh better be awsome.... or people are going to pay.

It's a movie based on a cartoon for kids,that is influenced by anime, it's not a bad thing to take influence and they did make it a bit of a different style. barring, the at best pg 13 rating which will hold it back sadly ;) it's a movie go and see if if you liked the series if not and your bored might enjoy it if not that and you still want to see it there's always other methods

Well, to be fair, I'll give the movie a shot.

But if it has a story as thin as Avatar, and just relies on graphics, then you're all gay.

GG.

(nah, I'm kidding.)

Actually, I'm not
Yeah, I am. Don't worry. i wasn't really serious on my last post. I just like writing in all caps. ;)
Edited by Pendragon

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely watch movies to see stuff. Avatar looked cool. It gets props. It probably looks cooler than what you look at...dude guy broseph man of superior movie knowledge skills :up:

Also...I have not seen this movie. I heard it was gonna be good shit though. I heard that from my asian co-worker though :o

Edited by Wrenchis

• 2 months later...
I never liked the art style of the cartoon, but thought the writing, story, and etc. was way up there. I don't know that I'll see it in theatres, but I'll definitely be seeing this at some point. Shamamanananana annoys me though, since he hasn't done anything I've liked in forever, but I don't think he wrote it, so hopefully it'll be okay.