Bi-Directional Quickboost Chain Sequences

█␢█

TeamLiquid-esque caption just because I'm cool.

~0:50 showcases bi-directional quickboost chain sequences vs. ~0:40, which demonstrates more traditional tri-directional quickboost chain sequences. To my knowledge the only way I can do something like :50 is to mash the QB trigger and move the left stick in two directions really quickly, but my results were spotty at best. The benefit of doing a QB bi-directional quickboost chain sequence over a tri-directional quickboost chain sequence is that you can surpass the 5-QB hardcap1 of a tri-directional quickboost chain sequence by using a bi-directional quickboost chain sequence as seen in ~1:30. I'm assuming bi-directional quickboost chain sequences will let you QB infinitely so long as you keep rhythm and have the EN to sustain the cancels.

For-e-ver. For-e-ver.

I'll confirm that this is possible in both AC4 and FA, as I was able to do it semi-consistently forward in AC4 and have done it several times back-right in FA.

I was wondering if anyone else has been able to do a QB cancel consistently, and if so what a good method is to do a QB cancel.

-------------------------------------------------

1: By 5-QB hardcap I simply am referring to the hardcap of efficient chaining (i.e. ↑ → ↑ ← ↑ for a forward QB chain). You can, of course, chain indefinitely too, but to do so, you have to just QB in squares.

-------------------------------------------------

Nearly everyone has said that there is no difference between :40 and :50 in the first video of the topic post. Both have an extremely long QB sequence where there is very little time between each quickboost. The difference is that in the first sequence, the AC has to use rotate through unused directions, which ultimately undermines the momentum of the sequence in order to maintain it (in the video: ↑ → ↑ ← → ← ↑ → ← → ↑ →). To my knowledge, it is be impossible to input a QB sequence such as ↑ → ↑ ← ↑ → ↑ , hence why I say there's a cap to tri-directional QB sequences. I'm pretty sure you could pull off a ↑ → ↑ ← ↑ → ← ↑ sequence, but the fact that you have to add another side input into the sequence completely kills the momentum of the whole thing. Compare this to the bi-directional QB sequences which are fully capable of pulling off 4+ critical QBs2 (I'm making a new term, fuck you) while actually still being streamlined enough for combat.

-------------------------

2. Critical QBs would be the quickboosts in a sequence that carry you in the general direction you wish to move. Again using the example of ↑ → ↑ ← ↑, each forward quick boost would be considered a critical quickboost.

Edited by NlJl

Oh dude I remember TM showing me that video a long time ago. I still don't get how the guy can chain what looks like 2 or 3 SSQBs together as well as QT (or even SSQT for that matter) so well considering he has some weak sidebooster, which I'm assuming is a Schedar.

I saw a video of some jap using a ps1 controller's circle button for his qbs. Not only could he chain way better, but it was also pressure/timing sensitive, and he was able to second stage with it. I tried using circle for a while to qb in ac4, and you can chain effortlessly, but you lose the ability to track. (I think that metalkon had the same setup, which is why he said he really relied on auto-sight to help him track)

I don't see a difference between :40 and :50 and I think niji's just wanting to make his own terms like he did for 'power quick boost'

Nah, what I meant was that cancel and chain are synonymous to Niji, but when he mentioned QB canceling, it made me think of :50 where you can QB infinitely (again, I'm assuming) in solely two directions whereas with chains you usually need three directions to QB for anywhere remotely as many times.

No not really. Try putting qb on one of the face buttons for the ps3 controller on ac4, and you can qb in only one direction with ease. In fact all of my chains personally consist of only one direction, and I can get up to 6-7 at times on just the shoulder button.

Yeah there always seemed to be a miscommunication about "direction" whenever it goes from what I'm used to hearing on Xbox over to ACU people. What I mean by a three-direction chain is that you use three of the four quickboost directions in your chain. Granted you go in one general direction, you need three different directions for quickboost to achieve that is what I'm getting at.

I guess my terminology regarding chains is different from what most other people agree on. Like I've I kind of remember something like this happening before when it came to how many chains a person could pull off. So when I said 3-chain I meant three quickboosts, but to other people that meant three quickboosts in the general direction you're heading.

Oh okay, word. Yeah I've tried that before. Thing is that for one, I'm already used to using the triggers for QB and it honestly isn't worth the effort; and two, Xbox doesn't have pressure sensitive face buttons so no SSQB. With the triggers, though I can only do the canceling going back and right. I guess I can't line up the directions well enough for the other pairs.

I find this discussion confusing as :40 and :50 look like the same thing to me. I also don't remember any hardcap on chaining. I didn't do super long chains often, but I do remember a couple of instances of doing 4+ QB's in a row. One of them was "3-directional", I don't think the others were, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I only used face buttons (square) to QB very, very early in the game, and I don't think I was chaining (I was certainly not SSing) when I used that button.

In the video, the jap was using a ps1 controller only. I tried with a ps3 controller, but it didn't work for the second staging. All he had to do was hold down the circle button and it second staged for him. I'd try to find it, but it's one of those with a jap title, so that'll be a needle in a haystack.

I find this discussion confusing as :40 and :50 look like the same thing to me. I also don't remember any hardcap on chaining. I didn't do super long chains often, but I do remember a couple of instances of doing 4+ QB's in a row. One of them was "3-directional", I don't think the others were, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Okay so the main difference is that, at :50, he's doing a QB sequence that only uses two directions, whereas at :40 he's using more than two. I mean, the difference seems insignificant, but it's an indication of the different mechanics (I guess that's the right word?) at play where the former is limitless in the number of quickboosts a person can do and the latter has a limit.

Which leads me to the hardcap, and from personal experience and talking to others, it seems that people can't boost in the general direction more than three times. I'm having a hard time putting it in words so I'll use arrows, word.

So say you wanted to do a chain that would bring you forward. You would do something like ↑ → ↑ ← ↑, but that's essentially your limit. You could go so far as ↑ → ↑ ← ↑ →, in fact. However to follow up the side QB with another forward QB seems to be impossible, at least from the experiences of the people I hung out with as well as my own. With what I'm dubbing a QB cancel, however, you would be able to go ↑ → ↑ → ↑ → ↑ → ↑ → forever until you run out of energy.

here's some footy of me, i dont know if the boosting im doing is similar to what this topic is about?... i play on xbox360

What you were doing was what I considered quickboost chains. There might have been a few cancels, but for the most part it was chains.

Edited by NlJl

I'm too lazy to type up any real response. It's best to say that I think B is crazy and that's that. I'll just post the chatlog from a bit earlier today where I talked with B about it instead.

Part 1

[Person4645] 12:15 am: i found the video i was looking for super long ago

[Person4645] 12:15 am:

[Chodimus-Maximus] 12:15 am: adsfadfsad

[Person4645] 12:15 am: That's what I think of when you say QB cancel

[noob] 12:15 am: holy shit

[noob] 12:15 am: this ruffneck guy sucks

[Person4645] 12:15 am: Yeah he does

[Person4645] 12:16 am: He just holds down the triggers hahaha

[Person4645] 12:16 am: Is that link to chode's stormcast?

[Chodimus-Maximus] 12:17 am: yes

[Person4645] 12:18 am: I'm guessing you'd be in the red to magenta parts?

[TMRaven] 12:18 am: find me the vid the guy using the circle button to qb

[Person4645] 12:19 am: Was it the one nob linked?

[noob] 12:19 am: circle button to qb is dumb

[noob] 12:19 am: you cant qt

[Person4645] 12:19 am: Crab claw grip style

[TMRaven] 12:19 am: you can qt, you just can't do it within the flow of things

[noob] 12:19 am: claw on ps3 is awkward

[TMRaven] 12:20 am: I Don't see any vid of his

[Niji] 12:20 am: That is a QB cancel, yes.

[Person4645] 12:20 am: oh

[Niji] 12:20 am: Brendchan does enjoy doing lots of them.

[TMRaven] 12:20 am: I still don't see any qb cancel in that vid though

[TMRaven] 12:20 am: he's just mashing out the qb and chaining them together

[Person4645] 12:20 am: I just think of it as a cancel because it ignores the QB refresh time.

[Chodimus-Maximus] 12:20 am: yeah that smaller blob is right near me

[Niji] 12:20 am: That's what a chain would be, yah.

[Niji] 12:21 am: Chain/Cancel is the same thing for me.

[TMRaven] 12:21 am: I don't think ac4 had qb refresh time did it

[TMRaven] 12:21 am: while acfa did

[Chodimus-Maximus] 12:21 am: im getting tired of storms :[

[Niji] 12:21 am: I know fA did.

[TMRaven] 12:21 am: oh so it is just niji using his own proprietary terms

[Person4645] 12:21 am: They both had QB refresh

[Niji] 12:21 am: No.

[Tsuranga] 12:21 am: yay, my dad just brought me hot sake

[Tsuranga] 12:21 am: on a motorcycle...

[Niji] 12:21 am: It's just that cancel/chain has always mean the same thing in other games, too.

[Niji] 12:21 am: Particularly fighting games.

[Niji] 12:21 am: As opposed to link.

[Tsuranga] 12:21 am: I have no idea how he got it from point A to B

[Person4645] 12:21 am: Oh really

[Person4645] 12:22 am: well fuck

[Niji] 12:22 am: You ignore refresh/recovery.

[TMRaven] 12:22 am: that's kinda besides the point tho

[Niji] 12:22 am: And go onto the next move.

[Person4645] 12:22 am: WELL I'M CALLING THEM CANCELS AND CHAINS

[Niji] 12:22 am: Not really.

[TMRaven] 12:22 am: ac community has used chain for the longest time

[Niji] 12:22 am: It's not my own term as much as a pretty well known term.

[Niji] 12:22 am: Which is same as cancel.

[Niji] 12:22 am: And why I use chain.

[Niji] 12:22 am: And why B used cancel and had to link a video.

[TMRaven] 12:22 am: I havn't heard that term used for ac until now

[Person4645] 12:22 am: WELL I'M MAKING IT UP NOW

[TMRaven] 12:22 am: it's almost as bad as that dude saying clock hopping

[Person4645] 12:23 am: LIKE HOW SSQB ISN'T REALLY A SECOND STAGE

[Niji] 12:23 am: Then you should bother B about it.

[TMRaven] 12:23 am: power qb I dont mind so much because you can actually make sense of that

[Niji] 12:23 am: Since he's the one trying to use it.

[Tsuranga] 12:23 am: super sayan quick boost?

[noob] 12:23 am: ive never heard cancel

[noob] 12:23 am: ever

[noob] 12:23 am: youre full of shit

[Niji] 12:23 am: But yah, cancel makes same sense to me as chani.

[Person4645] 12:23 am: I'M MAKING IT UP NOW

[Niji] 12:23 am: chain*

[Niji] 12:23 am: So I'm fine with w/e.

[Niji] 12:23 am: I use QBC to mean QB chains normally.

[Chodimus-Maximus] 12:24 am: penis

[Niji] 12:24 am: But I remember some guy asked B about it I think like 2-3 months ago.

[TMRaven] 12:24 am: what is qbc

[Person4645] 12:24 am: I always called them bi-directional chains.

[Person4645] 12:24 am: But cancels sounded cooler

[Niji] 12:24 am: QB Chain

[Niji] 12:24 am: But shortened.

[TMRaven] 12:24 am: oh

[noob] 12:24 am: niji uses dumb terms

[Niji] 12:24 am: Because I don't feel like typing it out.

[TMRaven] 12:24 am: werd

[noob] 12:24 am: like pqb

[Niji] 12:24 am: PQB is just the way I learned it.

[Niji] 12:24 am: From early AC4 JP community.

[Niji] 12:24 am: Not my fault you aren't geniune Japanese.

[Niji] 12:25 am: Like the store label said you were.

[noob] 12:25 am: youre less japanese than i am

[Chodimus-Maximus] 12:25 am: i thought it was CQB

[Niji] 12:25 am: Only in person.

[Person4645] 12:25 am: USA. USA. USA. USA.

[noob] 12:25 am: yah cqb

[Niji] 12:25 am: CQB is army term, I think.

[noob] 12:25 am: chain qb

[Niji] 12:25 am: Most gamers use CQC.

[noob] 12:25 am: cqc for up close pew pew

[TMRaven] 12:25 am: qcb is pretty tier

[Niji] 12:25 am: CQB is far more likely to be used to mean close quarters battle.

[The Cafe]: Hentai Maid has left at 12:25 am

[Niji] 12:26 am: You'll confuse lots of people with that one.

[TMRaven] 12:26 am: ya when I heard that that's what I was thinking

[noob] 12:26 am: i just say chain

[Niji] 12:26 am: chain is the clearest yah

[Niji] 12:26 am: I don't think I've ever actually abreviated the qb chain term in a normal discussion

[Niji] 12:26 am: Just when I'm harassing people about PQB.

[Niji] 12:27 am: Cuz it throws more acronyms at them.

[TMRaven] 12:27 am: I mean I can see arguments for both power qb and second stage

[TMRaven] 12:27 am: when you say second stage it's like 'wtf are you talking about?

[TMRaven] 12:27 am: you really gotta know what it means

[noob] 12:27 am:

[Person4645] 12:27 am: I don't see the argument for second stage at all.

[Niji] 12:27 am: Yah.

[Niji] 12:27 am: Well SSQB just caught on.

[TMRaven] 12:27 am: power qb is just like, 'oh ya, that'

[Niji] 12:27 am: So nothing we can do about it, really.

[Person4645] 12:27 am: SSQB just sounds cool.

[Niji] 12:27 am: I think 360 side did it.

[TMRaven] 12:27 am: that guppy guy popularized it I think

[noob] 12:27 am: ssqb was back from when i first started ac4

[Tsuranga] 12:27 am: sounds like super sayan

[Niji] 12:27 am: GameFaqs or something.

Part 2

[Niji] 12:48 am: Yah, I dont' see a difference in those two spots in that video.

[Tsuranga] 12:48 am: like fated coming back

[Niji] 12:49 am: 40/50 look the same to me.

[Person4645] 12:49 am: It's not exact

[Person4645] 12:49 am: I guess I should go down to the second, huh

[Niji] 12:49 am: You're just cancelling QB into another QB.

[Niji] 12:49 am: Which is what a chain is.

[Niji] 12:49 am: You fire them off rapidly.

[Niji] 12:49 am: If you were doing it like people do PQB.

[Niji] 12:49 am: I'd call that just QBing around.

[Person4645] 12:50 am: Oh that's close enough.

[Niji] 12:50 am: Sorta like linking in fighting games.

[Niji] 12:50 am: You wait for refresh or w/e

[Person4645] 12:50 am: Yeah like I say in the thread it's 2-directions vs. more-than-two-directions

[Niji] 12:50 am: It's not a chain, tho.

[Niji] 12:50 am: That doesn't make sense.

[Niji] 12:50 am: What does direction have to do with the action.

[Niji] 12:50 am: You're either chaining it or not.

[Niji] 12:50 am: =|

[Person4645] 12:50 am: idk I'm just naming things

[Person4645] 12:51 am: And what I'm calling a cancel doesn't have a limit

[Person4645] 12:51 am: Whereas what I'm calling a chain does.

[Niji] 12:51 am: =\

[Person4645] 12:51 am: Or well an efficient chain

[Person4645] 12:51 am: :roll:

[Niji] 12:51 am: You can cancel a QB into any other direction QB forever, tho.

[Person4645] 12:52 am: So say you wanted to do a chain that would bring you forward. You would do something like ↑ → ↑ ← ↑, but that's essentially your limit. You could go so far as ↑ → ↑ ← ↑ →, in fact. However to follow up the side QB with another forward QB seems to be impossible, at least from the experiences of the people I hung out with as well as my own. With what I'm dubbing a QB cancel, however, you would be able to go ↑ → ↑ → ↑ → ↑ → ↑ → forever until you run out of energy.

[noob] 12:52 am: uuddlrlrbas

[Niji] 12:52 am: I don't see the difference.

[Tsuranga] 12:53 am: one he is going different directions

[Niji] 12:53 am: =\

[Person4645] 12:53 am: It's the cap of 5-6 with the three-directional one.

[Tsuranga] 12:53 am: another he is going one direction

[Person4645] 12:53 am: vs. the no cap of the two-directional one

[Tsuranga] 12:53 am: you can't change directions more than twice

[Niji] 12:53 am: Soooo

[Niji] 12:53 am: What makes one cancelled and one not cancelled?

[Person4645] 12:54 am: How many directions you use.

[Niji] 12:54 am: Like, what does it have to do with the term cancelling?

[Person4645] 12:54 am: IDK

[Person4645] 12:54 am: IT SOUNDED COOL

[Niji] 12:54 am: So

[Person4645] 12:54 am: :I

[Niji] 12:54 am: It would probably be better.

[Niji] 12:54 am: If you appended the word limited

[Niji] 12:54 am: or something

[Niji] 12:54 am: standard

[Niji] 12:54 am: Or even magic.

[Person4645] 12:54 am: limited to what

[Niji] 12:55 am: Magic is a good word.

[Niji] 12:55 am: Limited QB Chain/Cancel

[Niji] 12:55 am: Vs Infinite/Unlimited

[Niji] 12:55 am: Or

[Niji] 12:55 am: Replace terms with mythical beasts.

[Niji] 12:55 am: Dragon QB Chain vs Fairy QB Chain

[Niji] 12:55 am: Then as you get better at using the word

[Niji] 12:55 am: Remove excess

[Niji] 12:55 am: So

[Tsuranga] 12:55 am: chimera QB

[Niji] 12:55 am: Dragon Chain vs Fairy Chain

Okay so Niji's semantic spew got me pretty salty, not gonna lie, especially since he used that to completely avoid addressing my notion that a three-direction chain is capped.

[Niji] 12:54 am: Like, what does it have to do with the term cancelling?

So I take it that apparently I wasn't being clear enough about the significance of one method being capped (limited, restricted, etc.) on how many quickboosts are allowed where as the other is unlimited, and that the number of directions the AC quickboosts is in itself not significant but instead indicative of whether or not the entire sequence has a limit.

Nearly everyone has said that there is no difference between :40 and :50 in the first video of the topic post. Both have an extremely long QB sequence where there is very little time between each quickboost. The difference is that in the first sequence, the AC has to use rotate through unused directions, which ultimately undermines the momentum of the sequence in order to maintain it (in the video: ↑ → ↑ ← → ← ↑ → ← → ↑ →). To my knowledge, it is be impossible to input a QB sequence such as ↑ → ↑ ← ↑ → ↑ , hence why I say there's a cap to tri-directional QB sequences. I'm pretty sure you could pull off a ↑ → ↑ ← ↑ → ← ↑ sequence, but the fact that you have to add another side input into the sequence completely kills the momentum of the whole thing. Compare this to the bi-directional QB sequences which are fully capable of pulling off 4+ critical QBs1 (I'm making a new term, fuck you) while actually still being streamlined enough for combat.

-------------------------

1. Critical QBs would be the quickboosts in a sequence that carry you in the general direction you wish to move. Again using the example of ↑ → ↑ ← ↑, each forward quick boost would be considered a critical quickboost.

TL;DR

Fuck you, Niji, you semantic homo.

:(

Okay so Niji's semantic spew got me pretty salty, not gonna lie, especially since he used that to completely avoid addressing my notion that a three-direction chain is capped.

It's not semantics. It's a matter of the action not changing. A cancel is a cancel, no matter how many times you can do it. Capping the reuse doesn't change the action. You're either canceling or not canceling the refresh. If it cancels, it's a chain. If not, not. Whether you do it 5x, 20x, 1000x, or 10000000x. Being able to do it 5x or 20x has nothing to do with the term canceling. There's no reason to use that word to signify a difference between how many times you can do it. Use another word.

You were being perfectly clear, but you were also being dumb. Your directions of QB and caps have no merit, basically. They have no tie to the word canceling and shouldn't be used with it. Brake canceling, genbusting, slide jump, multitapping, boost hopping, SSQB/PQB, even dry boosting all have merit to their terms because the words tie in with the action. That's why we use them.

To reiterate and put it as simply as I can, use another word.

Okay yeah I'm fine with that. I honestly don't care about the terminology I use so long as I can attach the correct meaning to it, and if that's the reason that no one can differentiate between what's going on at :40 and :50 that's fine too. But what really annoyed me was the it literally was just what I interpreted it to be nit-picking the entire time, not even bothering with the subject matter but rather it's vocabulary.

I mean honestly it's whatever, and I'll probably be over it tomorrow, but right now it still bugs the hell out of me because in my eyes it literally contributed nothing, unless clarity was that large of an issue because of it. I guess I'll rewrite it some time, but certainly not tonight. In my head I'm still going "big fucking deal, you know what I mean. Talk about that or just go fuck off."

Edited by NlJl