Azure's Compilation of drawings and animation

Azure Knight

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense here, You haven't seemed to have.. progressed...

at all... really.

like.. I've changed tons..

Over a year ago

http://i.imgur.com/qq5Nr.jpg

About a year ago

http://i.imgur.com/sfhOr.jpg

six months ago

http://i.imgur.com/smGnx.png

A few days ago

http://i.imgur.com/q5LE5.jpg

There's a few key differences with your "progression" and mine

You're randomly sketching things. There's no connection to one another. I'm not.

I have an animation series that keeps things in a certain style. I draw for that series based in that style. So the style will remain the same for the simplicity since I'm not exactly just doing one thing.

Next, as it's been mentioned, 90% of the stuff in here are screen caps from Flash in mid animation. Not going to have a lot of detail since a frame will be on screen for about 1/32nd of a second.

Trying to run a 25 minute per episode animation series while doing the following: Working 9-5, editing audio dramas, doing voice over work, editing a novel, preparing to sell said novel, doing freelance web and graphic design, having a life. So yeah, my art for said series in this style is going to remain simplistic and as is.

You want to see progression, look at my older works. You progress while trying to develop a style for something, and when you're comfortable in that style your progression slows down to become minute and barely noticeable.

So yeah, you're still developing a style that remains in sketch form. I'm passed that. This style works for what I want and I'm fine with it. And yeah, any art was done in Flash which as was stated can be buggy. Which means a lot of the lines do automatic guessing for you regardless of where you tell it to go.

The only thing not done in Flash is the novel's cover. Which means I'm coming back to Photoshop works with a better feel for certain things.

I guess I'll just post some older works that aren't flash while I'm at this.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/nikedrummer33/BD.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/nikedrummer33/BD_positron_cannon.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/nikedrummer33/Blue_Dragon_positron_cannon_resize.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/nikedrummer33/shadowomega.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/nikedrummer33/sc002c2df6copy.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/nikedrummer33/scan0026-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/nikedrummer33/Strike_on_japan.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/nikedrummer33/Art%20of%20Shattered%20Heaven/bd_shadow.jpg

Edited by Azure Knight

Well, the reason I brought that up. is because you really should get a firm foundation rather than simply stick to things. Every good artist who is progressing should evolve rather than stagnate: Also the four examples I used were all the same character, and how my style and his appearance have changed in about the course of a year. I'm not drawing random shit, He started off with almost no scars as an Eldar ranger, and shoulder length hair. He's aged, nearly died, gained scars, and started training in an aspect, and his hair is now to the middle of his back: It's still light red to dark red however. so you probably should have noticed that much. I started drawing better eyes/faces, but it's still the same damned character.

Also I have animated before, I do frame-by-frame if I animate. because flash is a piece of work.

Well, the reason I brought that up. is because you really should get a firm foundation rather than simply stick to things. Every good artist who is progressing should evolve rather than stagnate: Also the four examples I used were all the same character, and how my style and his appearance have changed in about the course of a year. I'm not drawing random shit, He started off with almost no scars as an Eldar ranger, and shoulder length hair. He's aged, nearly died, gained scars, and started training in an aspect, and his hair is now to the middle of his back: It's still light red to dark red however. so you probably should have noticed that much. I started drawing better eyes/faces, but it's still the same damned character.

Also I have animated before, I do frame-by-frame if I animate. because flash is a piece of work.

Uh, yeah, I animate frame by frame. Are you suggesting I don't use FBF because I'm using Flash?

Not really stagnating either. I have a firm foundation on the style I want to use for this. Let's look at Mangka's their style evolves over years, and they're never drastic. But they're keeping that style.

Allow me to rephrase. You're sketching. Do you have a consistent project going on? Are you animating little things when you animated, or are you animating what would be full length episodes with a story, plot, acting etc?

Yeah, I've progressed, you're seeing current style for this particular series. So if I'm showing images from a project where characters aren't progressing yet because they're in a set time then that is far from not progressing.

Talk to Art, or Owen, they've seen my earlier works over the years.

To be honest, that's your opinion and that's fine. And not to be disrespectful to you because I don't mean to be, but I haven't seen much from you aside from your sketches and doodles. And that's fine. But what I'm doing requires me to keep a style. And I'll progress as I go.

Edited by Azure Knight

Well, the reason I brought that up. is because you really should get a firm foundation rather than simply stick to things. Every good artist who is progressing should evolve rather than stagnate:

exactly. So stop drawing anime.

I can honestly see both sides here. However, I gotta point out that drawing anime all the time isn't the way to go. I did it for the longest and now I've paid for it. Learn anatomy, work on line weight, light and shadow. All that kind of stuff.

I don't mean to downplay your stuff slaanesh, even more so since I haven't seen all of your work. However, given that I'm going by the examples provided I can safely say that I personally (and that's me personally), I don't see enough progress to start criticizing someone else's. I'm not saying it's bad either, just that I don't see as much progress as you're making it sound like.

Now I'll agree with some of the stuff that you're saying about Azure. I feel (and that's no disrespect AK) that there seems to be little in the way of improvement. To be fair, I haven't been keeping up to date with AK's work though, so forgive me if I'm wrong. Having said that though, we really have to take a step back and acknowledge that what AK is doing is animation and what slaanesh is doing is illustration. 2 very different fields. You can't really start talking about improving when 1 focuses on detail and the other on movement.

I also don't mean to come off like a dick and seem as though I have more right to talk about this stuff than anyone else and that I'm amazing and the god of art. I could definintely improve a LOT, and I am nowhere near to where I would like to be in terms of art.

exactly. So stop drawing anime.

I can honestly see both sides here. However, I gotta point out that drawing anime all the time isn't the way to go. I did it for the longest and now I've paid for it. Learn anatomy, work on line weight, light and shadow. All that kind of stuff.

I don't mean to downplay your stuff slaanesh, even more so since I haven't seen all of your work. However, given that I'm going by the examples provided I can safely say that I personally (and that's me personally), I don't see enough progress to start criticizing someone else's. I'm not saying it's bad either, just that I don't see as much progress as you're making it sound like.

Now I'll agree with some of the stuff that you're saying about Azure. I feel (and that's no disrespect AK) that there seems to be little in the way of improvement. To be fair, I haven't been keeping up to date with AK's work though, so forgive me if I'm wrong. Having said that though, we really have to take a step back and acknowledge that what AK is doing is animation and what slaanesh is doing is illustration. 2 very different fields. You can't really start talking about improving when 1 focuses on detail and the other on movement.

I also don't mean to come off like a dick and seem as though I have more right to talk about this stuff than anyone else and that I'm amazing and the god of art. I could definintely improve a LOT, and I am nowhere near to where I would like to be in terms of art.

You're going to make me repost all the old art I did for this series that is horrible aren't you? Gah.

If this was a general thread for my art then yeah I'd be showing off more than this anime style. But considering this is a thread specifically for this series, all the "Art" within it will be the same style that fits within my time allotted.

And you are a dick Jose, you disappear and think you can just come in here out of nowhere and make points?

I am what I am. I'm not forcing you though. Like I said, animation is a different monster, and I can't do what you do. I'm not saying your stuff is shit. Far from it.

Nah son, you know I've always respected your stuff and you as an artist.

I wish I had the time to really focus on developing art. Instead I'm focusing on my novels and getting this animated series and all the illustrations from it are just done for the sake of doing it. I enjoy it, it's a way to add the visual element to my novels.

I'll have to seriously start doing that. And I'll post up old stuff eventually. haha

Very well, but Ethos is right, you should stop drawing anime.

I'm slowly moving from it myself.

I draw in various styles. For this series and I keep it this style. This thread is specifically for one series. Not my overall art thread. The style is what it is, it's simple and easy for me to maintain when it comes to animating full episodes and do all the work that I do. I animate episodes that have probably around 32,000 frames. So between work and everything else, I need simplistic to get things done.

I may make a thread for more actual "Art" but til then, my focus is on my novel series which evolved into an animated series as well.

You're going to make me repost all the old art I did for this series that is horrible aren't you? Gah.

It's funny you say that, because I remember your old art and your new stuff is definitely better. I mean the SH-centric stuff. I don't think I've seen any other work from you.

• 1 month later...
It's funny you say that, because I remember your old art and your new stuff is definitely better. I mean the SH-centric stuff. I don't think I've seen any other work from you.

Yeah, I rarely posted other stuff since I was mainly focusing on the SH stuff and the style that it was in.

As far as target audience, it's surprisingly diverse. Generally 15-30 is where the most responses and views come in. I've had a few older people in their 50's and some even in their 90s read the novel and they really enjoyed it. I was extremely surprised by the responses. A published author who was 91 at the time replied with

"I really enjoyed the book and the story you managed to create. The characterization really grabs you and I was able to watch them grow" (paraphrased)

But I'm mainly going after the 15-30 crowd.

http://shatteredheaven.com/

The novel comes out in a week and a half but it's available for preorder.

4th episode was released last week

Edited by Azure Knight

• 6 months later...

Rough animation for something I'm working on.

http://azureprostudi...imationep3.html

I recently picked up Wacom's Inkling Pen and it's fantastic. The wireless receiver scans a digital copy of what you're sketching on paper so you can transfer it to your computer. When you transfer it you can convert it to vector art and manipulate the lines, etc. It's really only for sketching and early on ideas and concepts. Perfect for when you're not by your computer or tablet.

Just redesigning and doing character concepts for the upcoming movie that will be direct to dvd.

So yay, no longer rushing art for generic time purposes.

396581_743716294851_43001875_35682728_1978001968_n.jpg

314681_301455436532531_165110893500320_1277857_1650673283_n.jpg

Rough animation for something I'm working on.

http://azureprostudi...imationep3.html

I recently picked up Wacom's Inkling Pen and it's fantastic. The wireless receiver scans a digital copy of what you're sketching on paper so you can transfer it to your computer. When you transfer it you can convert it to vector art and manipulate the lines, etc. It's really only for sketching and early on ideas and concepts. Perfect for when you're not by your computer or tablet.

Just redesigning and doing character concepts for the upcoming movie that will be direct to dvd.

So yay, no longer rushing art for generic time purposes.

396581_743716294851_43001875_35682728_1978001968_n.jpg

314681_301455436532531_165110893500320_1277857_1650673283_n.jpg

That Wacom pen sounds fantastic. I feel the characters you drew here look much better than the older stuff posted in this thread, mostly due to the much more proportionate faces and the expressions just seem more natural. I've never worked with flash but it sounds like a huge pain, but the difference in quality from your flash work and this newest drawing is like night and day. A lot of the faces in your flash work are rather disproportionate with eyes too high up on the face, the mouths being too low, or the eyes being place too far apart, so It surprises me when you post a picture just now with none of those problems. Why can't you translate what you just did in the drawing above into your animation? Also I'd like to add that I'm quite impressed by your level of productivity with all of these projects you are embarking on, a novel, an animated series, an upcoming movie! damn man, you must really know how to buckle down and focus.

Edited by Nomrah

That Wacom pen sounds fantastic. I feel the characters you drew here look much better than the older stuff posted in this thread, mostly due to the much more proportionate faces and the expressions just seem more natural. I've never worked with flash but it sounds like a huge pain, but the difference in quality from your flash work and this newest drawing is like night and day. A lot of the faces in your flash work are rather disproportionate with eyes too high up on the face, the mouths being too low, or the eyes being place too far apart, so It surprises me when you post a picture just now with none of those problems. Why can't you translate what you just did in the drawing above into your animation? Also I'd like to add that I'm quite impressed by your level of productivity with all of these projects you are embarking on, a novel, an animated series, an upcoming movie! damn man, you must really know how to buckle down and focus.

Simple answer- "Rushing it between 9-5 job, work on the novel, promoting the novel, selling the novel" and the animation has always just been a way for me to get used to actual animating. The amount of effort that went into the style of that art was never any. Writing and the novel is my main focus/skillset. Animation was for the sake of actually getting it done on my own between everything else.

Plus Flash is a bitch and doesn't often respond so well to what you want to do. You may draw a line a certain way but it'll just go someplace else or look different when you let go of the pen.

And the art style right here is the style that will be for this movie.

But yes, I can draw, I do have a good grasp on proportions, always have. I just chose to use a simplistic drawing style to save time.

Yeah you can definitely draw, your hand drawn mechs you posted earlier were incredible. And to be fair, the flash animation you've been making is looks a lot better than most everything else I've seen done in flash, and I don't think you can push that program too much further with the problems it has, messing with your line placement is huge. Edited by Nomrah

Yeah you can definitely draw, your hand drawn mechs you posted earlier were incredible. And to be fair, the flash animation you've been making is looks a lot better than most everything else I've seen done in flash, and I don't think you can push that program too much further with the problems it has, messing with your line placement is huge.

Thank you.I've been working on mechs again. I'm going to hopefully be showing them this weekend. I always handicapped myself because I'm so busy, so everything was rushed for the sake of content for the story etc. I've always been a fan of actually getting something done, especially when it comes to story telling. I've seen countless people who try to animate series and just don't get anywhere because they take way too long trying to make it perfect. If you have a full team that's one thing, but if you're doing a one man show, fuck that. I do all the animation and sound editing as well as writing for the anime series. It was just for me to learn how to animate and get used to it. I'm still doing it and it'll still be extremely simplistic for the sake of time. But for this movie, no. I actually have a team that I've gathered. Storyboarders, animators, inbetweeners, clean up animators, background artists etc. So that'll be much different. Plus it's going to be distributed with a full original soundtrack, so it's going to be labeled as a professional indie production.

Flash can be pushed pretty far, it's just a matter of time and patience. With a team it won't be that bad honestly.

And yeah,. this Inkling is fantastic and saves so much more time.

Edited by Azure Knight

• 2 weeks later...