Comics, Manga, and Graphic Novels

YUNG MASTERLESS GLENCOUR

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's the art, coloring, and panelling structure on it. It's just so novel and evocative. It totally blew my mind.

This looks kinda cool:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/24/dan...irl-from-image/

Jose you like this sort of stuff, watcha think?

I might drop Nightwing. The story is sort of interesting but the art hasn't drawn me in. Add that together and the book's just not that compelling. Birds of Prey is just interesting enough that I'll stick with it but I definitely need to trim some fat. I spent 28 bucks on last week's books. Not a good look.

Damn. Yeah trim off Nightwing. Did you drop Suicide Squad yet? Drop Dark Knight for sure, #1 was garbage and #2 looks terrible too.

idk what else you bought. I'm doing okay so far, so I can't think of anything to cut. I know I'm adding the Ray mini-series soon, and I added Huntress. I also heard Ivan Brandon is off of Men Of War with issue #6 as his last so I may or may not drop that.

What was your full list?

I could see Batman and Robin getting dropped. I enjoyed #1 but I definitely wouldn't be willing to pay for it.

honestly I just sort of feel like with so many bat family books there is plenty of room to trim the fat there.

I didn't buy Dark Knight 1 or 2. Here's the full list:

Action Comics #1 and #2

All Star Western #1 and #2

Animal Man #1 and #2

Aquaman #1 and #2

Batman #1 and #2

Batman and Robin #1 and #2

Batwing #1 and #2

Batwoman #1 and #2

Birds of Prey #1 and# 2

Blue Beetle #1 and #2

Captain Atom #1 and #2

Catwoman #1 and #2

Detective Comics #1 and #2

The Flash #1 and #2

Green Lantern #1 and #2

Grifter #1

I, Vampire #1 and #2

Justice League #1 and #2

Men of War #1 and #2

Nightwing #1 and #2

Resurrection Man #1 and #2

Suicide Squad #1 and #2

Superboy #1 and #2

Supergirl #1 and #2

Superman #1

Swamp Thing #1 and #2

Teen Titans #1 and #2

Voodo #1 and #2

Wonder Woman #1 and #2

So Grifter and Superman have already been cut. Nightwing is most likely getting the axe and possibly Batwing. I will wait for Suicide Squad #3's preview pages to see about it. I'm leaning towards cutting it.

Here's this week's opinions:

All-Star Western

Much the same as #1. Pretty good with some pretty good art and really cool coloring. It's still a $3.99 book but instead of being long like #1 was, they added another story at the end like Men of War did. This story is actually kind of interesting though. It's Lazarus Lane/El Diablo and he's fighting Old West zombies.

Aquaman

Holy shit! Intense! The fish monsters from the first issue get more screen time and they look fucking sick. More jabs at Aquaman! And Mera too!

The Flash

Hooooly shiiiiiit! This is pick of the week. This is shaping up to be exactly the Flash that I wanted to see. The art! The art! The panels and colors and faces!

I, Vampire

It was very much like the first except this one focuses almost entirely on Mary, Queen of Blood (I keep wanting to say Queen of Blades) and her vampire uprising. The art still relies heavily on shadows. Heavily. You rarely see the eyes of any character. They're almost always completely in shadow, along with most of the face. There's a really great 2 page spread with one eye in shadow and the other in full light that looks fabulous. A lot of what makes the shadows so dominant is that they're absolute. They're just pure black. There's no gradiation, no crosshatching, no stippling; it's either black or it's not. Click these words for an example. Still, I think it works for the book and I like it.

Teen Titans

I'm liking Red Robin/Tim Drake more than I thought I would. I mean, I didn't think I'd hate the guy or anything like that but I didn't expect to dig him like this. A lot happened in this issue so I'm probably going to read it again later tonight but I enjoyed this one a lot.

Voodoo

Another one whose art takes a big step away from the other 52. You get to see more of Voodoo's powers and get a better sense of what she's trying to do and who she is. Less fanservice in this issue than in the first. There's still some to be had in the beginning though, starting with the cover, hahaa.

I'd cut Nightwing, Batwing, and Suicide Squad, yeah. I'd prolly cut tec too since that's got the worst writer of all the books featuring Batman, and I heard #2 wasn't really that good. Otherwise yeah I can't think of anything not worth shelling out for...I mean if you really need to trim the fat I'd go for Men Of War since the extra dollar isn't warranted by the extra story.

I still don't have Swamp Thing #1, Savage Hawkman #1, Supergirl #2, and he didn't have any All-Star Western #2 left. I think I'm caught up otherwise. I need to bug some more on this.

Time to start reading what I got!

Why'd you drop Superman, anyways?

So far Superman is awesome, and Hawkman was alright. I want to read #1 still, but it's now on the chopping block. If #3 doesn't do the damn thang it's off my list.

I finished Superman, Aquaman, and Voodoo. All 3 were pretty fucking dope. Superman is hilarious because it's so fucking dense it should be a 3.99 book. Thank god this is DC and not Marvel, or it'd be 4.99. I'm super-intrigued with all 3 endings. I saved Flash for last since I heard it was god tier.

btw Voodoo's ending was the most intriguing so far cuz up until now she's been rolling loser humans, but now we're gonna get to see what she's made of for sure...a Lantern is about the most dangerous thing she could face short of Batman with prep or Superman.

Flash. Holy crap.

I was reading Supergods while I was in Peru, and there's a whole chapter about the creation of the Flash, and how it changed comics forever. How it took a new, fresh, approach that revolutionized how heroes in comics are made. I feel like what we're seeing now has the potential to become another watershed moment in Flash history. Not necessarily the same impact on the industry, mind you, but something you can point to and say, "this is comics at it's best and most innovative."

Edited by Penguin Deus

I got AC, Animan, and Swampert on Wednesday. All three were clutch. Animan and Swamp continue to blow me away with the art. Animal Man was especially impressive this week. Very twisted stuff; I just wish I had internet so I could have read it on my big comp screen instead of iPhone screen. I'm also worried about whether or not they're going to sync up on my comixology account since I think it used my iTunes info.

I just saw this haha my fanfic has been keeping my attention in this board. Animal Man and Action were fantastic and yeah, they're just too good. Animal Man was disturbing as fuck and Action was intense.

Men of War #3...I was pretty confused on the whole thing and it just landed on the fence for me. If #4 doesn't pick up the pace it's getting dropped. I had some pretty big problems with #3's writing.

• 2 weeks later...

This month's Captain Atom really made a leap in quality, huh? It started going in a new and interesting direction and I really liked it. It's something I haven't really seen in comics much.

I mean yeah Doc Manhat is the end result of this sort of thing but seeing someone actually losing their touch on our world is kinda neat.

My current list of books:

1. Action Comics

2. Animal Man

3. Stormwatch

4. Swamp Thing

5. Men of War (this is on the chopping block)

6. Huntress

7. Green Lantern

8. Batwoman

9. Demon Knights

10. Batman

11. Wonder Woman (my sister)

12. Birds of Prey (my sister)

13. Supergirl

14. Blue Beetle

15. Captain Atom

16. Justice League

17. Flash

18. Aquaman

19. All-Star Western

20. Superman

21. Voodoo (my sister)

22. The Ray (once it starts coming out in December)

Not much change lately, things have more or less settled. I'm not sure I'm gonna be dropping anything else for awhile. The Ray and Huntress are minis so they might get replaced with other minis as time goes by.

Shit, man. Voodoo just linked up storylines with Grifter. I hope it stays out of the bland mess that Grifter is. This issue was really good though. Kyle Rayner is dumb.

This whole week was good. The Flash is top of the week again by far, though. Above Aquaman and Aquaman was fantastic.

Edited by Ninety

They explained what happened in Flash #3 at the end. He took in too much information and he froze. That's why he got shot in the head.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/spoiler-sport-flash-3-111123.html

"So there are some negatives to this ability he has to process so much information, like getting shot in the head. I'd say that's in the "con" column across from the "pros" he has in using these powers."

• 2 weeks later...

Weekly comics are back! I got usual week 1 stuff for me: swampy, animal, action, huntress, MoW, and stormwatch.

Everything was good to great. Swampy and Animal tied together like directly and said a lot of the same things, but the art styles are so drastically different that it's okay. Action felt like it was super short but that's because it's continuing the breakneck pace. Steel is pretty badass and the extra rocked. Huntress was straightforward but really well-drawn and has a lot of charm to it. MoW was pretty good luckily, so I don't need to drop it yet, and the extra was actually really good. It's a new story now with different team, thank heavens. Stormwatch was dope too and the art was a lot more consistent which I liked, and we got to see the beginning of a gay relationship forming!

Great week. I think I'll read Action again tomorrow, than read everything again on the weekend.

I skipped buying digital this week and picked up all print copies. Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Action, and Penguin: Pain and Prejudice. I got all the issues of Swamp Thing that I was missing too.

I can't recommend Penguin highly enough. The art is ridiculously good and perfect for the comic. It's also doing an incredible job of making Penguin a sympathetic character while simultaneously making him utterly despicable.

http://i42.tinypic.com/22ahqp.jpg

I want to buy it but I can't spend the extra money atm. I'm even considering dropping all-star western since I STILL haven't gotten issue 2. wtf

Oh and it looks like there's a whole slew of creative changes happening with books 6-7 on the current series of comics.

Paul Cornell is off Stormwatch from issue 7 and on. Ditto with Ivan Brandon. There's a good chance I quit Stormwatch at that point, and a fair chance I quit Men of War.

Gail Simone will be off Firestorm...which is good if you ask me cuz that comic sucked.