Sociological Thought Experiment

Shirtless Crackhead

So here's the scenario.

You have a town of 25,000 people, Middle America.

You are going to be able to forgo any infrastructural fundamentals, but let's list out what you got.

- 75% Caucasian, 10% Hispanic, 8% Asian, 6% Black, 1% Other

- 1 large automotive factory

- Lots of good farming land, seasonal growing only (winters are a bit chilly for plants)

- 1 medium-small river, a couple of subsidiary creeks

- No dangerous wild animals

- Middle of the road quality for roads, bridges, and non-commercial railway (no commercial ones, atleast not from the start)

- 2 High Schools, 2 Middle Schools, and 3 Primary Schools

- Basic American make-up of stores (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Dollar Store, and some local stores)

Now, here's the problem I will put to any/all of you.

How would you create a monetary system, that being a system of represented value for purposes of payroll, taxation, and trade. You are going to take out the dollar, and the normal financial system that exists in America today. Replace it with something.

You are going to have to explain it in detail, and it must work at this local level.

I await to see if anyone's got any ideas.

Also, whatever monetary/trade medium system you go with, doesn't have to be a national/global system; just a local one.

I am just looking for a system that would work for an individual community, any discussion of it's larger implication can take place after we get some ideas going.

A slight problem, in that I am uncertain of the diameter of this area or what is considered 'large'. However, I will do my best, considering the populace is around 25,000. Whether or not they're stacked high or sprawled out, I'll have to determine.

Let's see what ideas I can throw out here.

~~~

As far as trade goes, the town would use two separate currencies. One currency will reflect how much 'time' someone owes to someone, the other currency will reflect resource scarcity. Do note, prices based on public agreement with regards to environmental factors.

Time-Based Currency

The Time-Based Currency would buy labor. The more time someone offers, the more currency they are given to allow them to purchase time from others. In cases of self-employment, cost of goods and services will be based on how much time was spent to offer such provisions. To make sure effort is measured as well, body mass will be taken into account. Yes, even the weight of urine and feces must be measured.

Do note, Time-Based debt can be forgiven, since it is based on human biological factors. Simply making someone feel good can reduce the price of labor, with discomfort leading to extra cost. Having sex would be considered cheap or free if the server enjoyed their session.

Cost of human labor will be based on health and labor supply, with expenses increasing with sickness, while decreasing with fitness and happiness. Calculating it might prove to be a challenge; biomass and time are just general guides.

Resource-Based Currency (I'd say 'economy', but I'll do that later)

The Resource-Based Currency measures the value of resources, and will be tied to Time-Based Currency. What resources you can buy depends upon what resources you have given. For example, if you provided sufficient amount of iron to someone, you might be able to earn something like gold, neodymium, or other valuables in return. They'd all follow some variation of the Gold Standard to keep prices based on availability.

Do note, 'resource' doesn't just mean raw minerals, and can include complex machinery too.

Cost of resources will vary based on population-to-resource ratio. A greater populace relative to resources will increase the price of resources, whereas a sparser populace relative to resources will decrease the price of resources. Recyclable or public resources can be considered free.

~~~

You might wonder, why did I separate the two currencies? I would find it easier to make price calculations when specializing the currencies. I would not advise such a system for larger entities, as this system is intended to be limited in scale. Plus, it's just a prototype. Throwing stuff around, see if we can build on something.

~~~

Taxation

In cases where the public needs to pool resources, it will be based upon donation. Resources and labor are calculated separately, and the cost are presented to the public. Individual citizens then decide what the heck they can do to pay up. Excess donations are then redistributed.

~~~

Other Issues

As time goes by, I'd focus my efforts in making sure distances between areas was small. More distance means more fuel spent, more time spent, more risk of encountering danger. Convenience and accessibility would be emphasized to eliminate expenses. A little space is needed of course; people like their privacy. They need rest and comfort, as it is needed for them to continue their services, and venture outward.

I am in doubt as to the workability of this suggestion, as trying to come up with a system that is purposefully designed to eliminate its own usefulness and improve resource accountability is quite a challenge. Heck, the greatest challenge is just trying to get any currency to properly represent resource availability. The last thing you want is someone creating paper out of thin air to buy stuff for free.

Other alternatives to be explored. Truthfully, I find the idea of using currency to be inherently problematic. Fascinating how primitive peoples managed to get around without money; adapting such a system to our high tech world is another topic of interest.

~~~

the first thing i wonder is how much of the population is young, and educated to what degree. i want to know if the schools are overstuffed or effective. i want to know the religious disposition of the populace, crime rates, and drug use.

given the information, however:

1. eliminate any standing government body.

(1a. given that this is an economical problem, the focus will narrow thusly.

1b. call a friend, or anyone, or any source, that knows something about this i want to know or might need to know.)

2. Establish a corporate body which markets itself openly to the people inhabiting said territory while using its own capital to secure and protect the territory's borders as an investment. (if it fails, it fails). This body is optionally utilized by the populace, requires a regular fee, and officers a multitude of services, based on the use of infrastructures, law enforcement, education, plumbing electricity, internet, heat, gas etc.

2a. all bodies paying for said services are subject to the regulations of said services.

2c. all services are individual and optional.

3. Given that our world today has an easy-access electronic monetary system, the government-corporation would use only electronic funds, or "bills," in the case of those that have no access to electronic equipment necessitated. The electronic funds are dubbed "credit" and would exist as just so, with a limit extending indefinitely. However, as debt to credit rate matches prices of services, such services as priced matched will be cut off from the debtor, in relation to cheapness to expense.

4. establish a consortium of at most nine local businessmen with a smallish (relatively speaking) locally-based income for the purpose of:

4a. investigating any business established locally or franchised locally that is sharing product sources or competing via local prices, with regard to those businesses at a low or equal mark to the consortium members' approximate income

4b. this group has the power to impose (given a vote worth 1/3 of said group's power by the head executive of said govt) any prosecution or justifiable need to change or limit a company's policies.

4c. establish a limit of consortium involvement based on income, and a term limit of seven years. no re-election possible, ever.

5. seek a balance as close to zero as possible within said government-corpration. this will discourage inflation and de-value the credit or bill of said govtcorp, and encourage populace to seek the lowest possible level of valuizing their trade.

6. any person or body paying for services provided by govtcorp will be paying an extra fine in proportion to the services provided by said govtcorp if they are trading or operating with or in the territory of an unrelated government or judicial ruling body or corporation.

Edited by OrbulonProtocolZantarx