Hip-hop

Genocide

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer Old School stuff, and songs that actually talk about things beyond glorifying the ghetto and all that crap. I'm not much of a fan for the stuff that was considered ground breaking for simply being inappropriate but I do love a lot of the humor in them.

I mean really, who would do a song about butts and expect to be taken seriously?

One major thing I enjoy about hip hop are the artists who make samples In House then create a mix beat that is more than the electronic version of a riff.

I enjoy a lot of softer songs in general though that have more content in the complexity of the song itself rather than oversaturating with loud instruments and roughly delivered lyrics. (Not that I don't enjoy those things it's just that I don't feel like listening to heavy stuff all the time.)

The Hip Hop culture does have an intelligent side that does not get a lot of publicity. Sure you might find an article but it certainly isn't going to have it's own TV Special in the States.

I wish their could be more black groups who actually play real instruments though. It's disturbing how many of my so-called people flock to these OPPORTUNISTS and that's what I think of the popular scene all these new guys are opportunists taking advantage of a people who have a long history of destroying themselves.

I've heard my fair share of stories about relatives/cousins/friends/ and acquaintances who decided to try and become rappers by selling their lyrics to these guys in hopes that they'll be the next new face. It's a pretty disgusting system in my opinion and I hope it dies with the current scene.

The hip hop genre in general is capable of a very high level of versatility. You can do whatever the heck you want with it.

Gorillaz is a good example though I don't know how anyone hear feels about them. The musical artist is pretty damn talented and they both even got commissioned to do the newest version of Journey To The West in China. This was a couple years ago so I really don't know what those two guys are doing now.

A DJ from Japan who is now dead was quite impressive as well. NUJABES real name Jun Seba, he worked with rapper who goes by Shing02 who has lyrics more reminiscent to real poetry rather than the glorification crap.

Their are actually quite a few artists who don't get a lot of publicity because they aren't surrounded by drama or funded by a major record label, but none the less, they are beyond simply good. The ones who actually play the physical instrument, record it's sound and use a keyboard or whatever synthesizing device and transfer it to create a mixed track. Then they go ahead and play the real instruments live, that really says something about down to Earth people who aren't simply milking the genre dry of 50 year old topics.

Oh the "artists" who sample other people's music and then get in on going after online music "piracy" are total fucking hypocrites.

Like this dumb fucker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKWFvbgkWls&feature=related

At 0:52 and on for those who haven't already heard, copies Schala's theme from Chrono Trigger for his filthy song.

Edited by Nomrah

You have to request permission for samples, and usually pay as well. That's why they're always listed in the liner notes. This even applies to movie soundbites.

I'm not a fan of your boy Wiz there but I do like me some chrono trigger.

I also don't have a problem from someone sampling from a video game.

Why can't good ol' Wiz take his love and passion from this classic tune and use the inspiration to craft something completely new? Is he lazy, or simply incapable? It doesn't take long at all to write a rap, how about use the rest of that free time and delve into the wonderful world of musical composition.

Oh the "artists" who sample other people's music and then get in on going after online music "piracy" are total fucking hypocrites.

And do it horribly at that, yeah it's pretty freaking sad. The look on some guys faces when I tell them how much their reasons for liking the (DON'T FORGET YOUR NIGGAS IN THE HOOD crappy trash junk shit piss) are complete bull crap. Haha apparently it was enough for them to officially consider me NOT BLACK.

That's how my so called people exile you, I'm simply not one of the Niggaz or Swag enough and all that horse crap. Like I ever wanted to be in that bucket of crabs in the first place.

(It's a saying about the black people, we are like a bucket of crabs, whenever one of us tries to climb out, the other will grab on to it in effort of getting themselves out.)

I think the Boondocks sums up my opinion on mainstream hip hop culture quite well (on that note a lot of the underground stuff is just disgusting as well.)

Ah anyways more closely to what you said about piracy. A lot of these guys actually have stolen lyrics and tracks from kids who look up to them. It's an absolute storm of shit.

Also why I don't make friends with just anyone.

It's not the norm, but it's not actually outlandish anymore. People like Jay-Z and The Roots in particular have popularized live bands being used by hiphop acts. You work with what you have.

Here are some people I've seen use live bands recently (last 3 years):

Jay-Z's (been using live bands for years, sometimes huge ones)

Drake

The Roots (are their own band)

Mos Def

Wu Tang

Lupe Fiasco

Kanye West

Nas (he actually did a big tour with Damian Marley's band, and made a full album with them)

Public Enemy

Snoop Dogg

Lauryn Hill

Ludacris

That's off the top of my head. That's also ignoring beatboxing. Just with that list I'm sure you'll notice a recurring theme, which is to say, they are talented artists, as opposed to trash like, say, a Soulja Boy (the most common example of what's wrong with mainstream hiphop) or . For a long time they didn't use bands not from a lack of talent but because that wasn't the way things were done for hiphop. Those barriers aren't there anymore, especially for live shows.

Of course we have the losers still trying to make a quick buck off of other people's hard work and talent, but every genre of music has that. It's not unique to anyone. One could argue that's not unique to anything we do as human beings.

You're right though, Jay-Z isn't the norm in any respect. When I was in Peru a few months ago, the people I heard being played out of everyone's cars and in the stores and buildings was (in no order) Nirvana, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, and Jay-Z. As he said, "I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man!"

Kanye West needs to start mastering his albums better. It's getting on my nerves. Such great songs, but they're being held back because they're getting more and more brickwalled with each new album. I wouldn't mind remasters somewhere down the line if they ever come out.

Here's what comes to my mind when I think of hip-hop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjbII5xqG8s

Also forget that hip-hop live band shit, for the most part that's just the result of too much success and corporate backing. An assortment of studio musicians payed big bucks to put some live music together to revolve around some guy rapping. I highly doubt Jay-z or Kanye played any big part in putting that music together, the musicians simply used their expert knowledge to compose something to play while the guy raps around on stage. Also the super bowl performance (black eyed peas) for this last years super bowl was one of the worst performances I've ever seen, what a complete mess that was.

Sure, although maybe jay-z's next for Super Bowl 2012, live band and all!

EDIT: I went ahead and checked out your jay-z, first video I click on he's got Oasis's "Wonderwall" playing, then I skip forward and I hear AC/DC's "Back In Black". Is this a good example of the live hip-hop performances you guys are speaking of? Sounds like shit, did he really just open his own show with someone else's song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xp_ge6RtP4

Edited by Nomrah

What I really don't like is the complete lack of creativity, originality and musical ability. It all ties back to what we discussed earlier about hip-hop artists constantly ripping off others music.

Watch the video and wonder why the hell he's even holding a guitar, also I must add he is one of the worst singers I have ever heard in my life. Care to inform me why I should consider this joker talented, or worthy of this level of fame?

Edited by Nomrah

He's covering Oasis as a shot at Liam Gallagher. Jay-Z was going to be performing at the Glastonbury Festival that year, and Liam stated that he felt hiphop had no place at the festival, so Jay-Z opened his set with a terrible cover of Oasis' most famous song.

Watch the video and wonder why the hell he's even holding a guitar, also I must add he is one of the worst singers I have ever heard in my life. Care to inform me why I should consider this joker talented, or worthy of this level of fame?

Good thing Jay-Z isn't a singer then.

I like hip hop.

I used to be one of those people that heard rap playing on the radio and would think "god, what a joke". That was up until I actually started listening to some of the better stuff out there. The problem with what some of you guys are doing is by listening to what's playing on mtv or the radio (i.e. mainstream) and just assuming that's what the whole thing is about. If that's what we're all gonna go by, then I'd be right in assuming that linkin park is the truest representation of metal. Let's see, there's guy is screaming over guitars, drums and bass so it's metal. I'd also be right by saying that linkin park is the same as um fear factory, meshuggah, opeth or machine head.

Also forget that hip-hop live band shit, for the most part that's just the result of too much success and corporate backing. An assortment of studio musicians payed big bucks to put some live music together to revolve around some guy rapping. I highly doubt Jay-z or Kanye played any big part in putting that music together, the musicians simply used their expert knowledge to compose something to play while the guy raps around on stage. Also the super bowl performance (black eyed peas) for this last years super bowl was one of the worst performances I've ever seen, what a complete mess that was.

Some rappers are also music producers. That means that they produce their own music, so they oversee the whole creation of the album. So all the studio musicians you think are payed big bucks to put live music together to revolve around some guy rapping are just paid musicians that are being told what notes to play to some guy rapping. It's not that they're saving the guy by providing music. They're just following along with what they were hired to play. Does that mean that the studio musicians don't have any input? probably not. Doesn't mean that all hip hop artists are just some guy rapping lyrics without the slightest idea of what it means to create music.

You can doubt all you want that jay-z or kanye west had any part in creating their music but if they produced their albums, it means that they probably were the biggest part in creating their music.

What I really don't like is the complete lack of creativity, originality and musical ability. It all ties back to what we discussed earlier about hip-hop artists constantly ripping off others music.

The do the same in every genre. There's metal bands out there that are ripping off metallica or slayer. There's rock groups out there that copy red hot chili peppers. There's a lot of r&b artists that rip off michael jackson. There's pop acts that rip off madonna. Arguing that hip hop artists are not talented because they're constantly ripping off other's music is not a good argument, when it happens in every other genre. The problem is that originality in music (or with everything else for that matter) doesn't really exist. It's all been done before. It's just being delivered in different ways.

Aaanyway, I feel that it's kinda dumb to just hate on something without not really knowing much about it. If you wanna say it isn't your thing, fine. Don't just assume that what you're hearing on tv or radio is all there is to it and hate the genre as a whole for it.

For the record, I like hip hop. I also like metal, rock, pop, jazz, classical, scores, soundtracks and every other genre that's in my ipod.