Hip-hop

Genocide

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^lol

Yeah, I'll admit, if you don't know where to look it can seem dead or a dying artform. Most mainstream rap music is trending slightly towards techno pop, Drake and some of that. Underground scene is where its at, also Texas Rap is pretty hardcore ass gangsta shit.

I've got some friends in ATX, they like to freestyle, a friend of a friend was also in the Texas Battle League.

Anyways, here's a few more.

They're disenfranchised in a lot of ways. They are underpriveliged and kept that way by the power structure. They're pissed, 'nuff said. Come on dude, I thought an intelligent person like yourself would have been capable of realizing that.

And also to note, I said hiphop, not rap, or -mainstream, commercialized- rap music, which is mostly, if I can say so "Bullshit."

What do you think of the cultural ideas it puts forth?

They put forth as many cultural ideas as any other form of music. It's not hiphop's problem you don't listen to anything other than the stuff that makes it look bad.

Simple as that, really. Genocide kinda said the same thing.

Well, you can have a larger sort of classification, and call that a genre if you'd like. It's like saying that anything that employs a drum machine is Drum n' Bass, which a lot of bands do. So that can't really be the defining thing. A lot of it is lyrical content, look at Lil' Wayne's music compared to KRS-One's. Some people say it's all the same, but you can see where they differ, lyrical content is way different. Some of the song's are somewhat similar, but that's black culture in america. It's just discontent expressed through music and their dissatisfaction at the double standards on blacks, and their oppression. Something to be said is that it certainly didn't end when MLK or Malcom X made their stands, and look what happened to them, assassinations.

Here's another song;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCyxoxkNk3M&feature=related

Rap is when someone is saying words to a beat, basically. Sometimes the beat is as simple as keeping time in your head, and other times it's instruments making music from a band or a record or something. Poetry and rap have a lot in common in the sense that they both focus on rhythm and meter. It's a part of hiphop.

Hiphop is like a bunch of different kinds of art, whether it's breakdancing, MCing, DJing, and tagging. As Jackson mentioned, one could argue it's a sub-culture. It depends on who you're asking.

A lot of people use rap and hiphop interchangably, which unless you're a fag probably shouldn't bother you, since it doesn't obscure the meaning in most cases.

If you ever go to a hiphop festival type thing like Rock the Bells, or anything similar, you'll pick it up in no time. I'd say it's not really important though in your case. I mean if you've ever been to a metal show you should have at least some idea of how the scene is different from, say, a Katy Perry show. It goes further than just the sound of the music.

I've been patiently waiting for this shit to die off, since all gimmicks and fads come to an end sooner or later. I feel it has reached its peak already, it has nowhere to go but down at this point. I remember this new breed of hip-hop really starting up with that damn soldier boy song and little wayne, a bunch of electronic/hip-hop with inappropriate lyrical content. This was different than rap, targeted towards everyday middle-school adolescents of various ethnic backgrounds instead of just blacks. Now I literally have heard songs on the radio where a girl is singing in a sort of "baby" voice about sleeping with strangers. I'm left to wonder what's next to come?

Check this filthy shit out. Cashing in on the Gaga fans for sure.

I've been patiently waiting for this shit to die off, since all gimmicks and fads come to an end sooner or later. I feel it has reached its peak already, it has nowhere to go but down at this point. I remember this new breed of hip-hop really starting up with that damn soldier boy song and little wayne, a bunch of electronic/hip-hop with inappropriate lyrical content. This was different than rap, targeted towards everyday middle-school adolescents of various ethnic backgrounds instead of just blacks. Now I literally have heard songs on the radio where a girl is singing in a sort of "baby" voice about sleeping with strangers. I'm left to wonder what's next to come?

Check this filthy shit out. Cashing in on the Gaga fans for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgEixhE3Oms&ob=av3e

So true. That stuff is trash.