Chat Is Borked

Magnus

Also so was the entire website save for the Arena and Wiki, but chat is /still/ borked after that whole suspension and downloading thing. Also everything's slower.

What's going on, Nidge?

Edited by Obscure

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I'm just a bit tired and stressed is all. I've had no sleep since the site went offline yesterday night. I've been working on the site basically all day for the past 30 hours or so, while still going to work and dealing with drunks who like to talk, and trying to answer a bunch of random emails and off-site PMs about why ACU isn't up.

IPS decided that we were using up too many "server resources" over the past week, so they deleted ACU without any form of prior notification. They simply terminated the site on a whim, even though they specifically say that they'll never do that. According to their graph, we were using about 2x our allotted server resources at our absolutely most dead hours and we were using about 100x our allotted server resources at our most active few hours. This was over the course of 14 days on the graph. The X axis was days. The Y axis was unlabeled, but seemed to represent "server resources" via a generic number. I know from checking our actual server stats myself that our server resource usage (cpu/mem/bw/storage) has been the same for about 2 years straight. We certainly didn't suddenly gain 100x our normal activity in the past two weeks, either.

The only thing that did happen two weeks ago was the forced server migration to new IPS servers where they also blew up the forum and required us to change how our files were encoded. As far as I can tell, the files they switched us over to are the only thing that could possibly be using so much cpu power. So it was very likely their own fault. Then they let us go over limits without notifying me at all. 100x over our limit. They didn't feel like telling me at any point during those two weeks that I was supposedly using a whopping 100x the normal server space. 100 websites worth of normal use on a server with maybe 25 active sites on it. Nothing strange about that at all.

Anyway, I was using legacy hosting with IPS anyway. They stopped offering geniune website hosting a few years ago. Now they only offer a special kind of community hosting where they charge for packages differently. New system charges $X/month depending on active users (Guests count as active.), whereas before it was just on bandwidth/storage space. Since I was on legacy hosting, they had to honor the old method and couldn't actually change the terms of service on me. Imagine how much I'd have to pay for hosting if I went with that system. I'd be dumping nearly $100/month out of my ass for hosting that way, which is why I never updated. That hosting scheme is also more of a money maker than a geniune hosting service anyway.

I'm pretty sure the whole thing was a gimmick to get me to switch to a new method of hosting with them, to be honest. I instead just switched hosts entirely. We're using professional hosting with Liquid Web now. We previously had 75GB bandwidth and 1.5GB HDD space, now we have 320GB bandwidth and 40GB HDD space and a few other nice features. I also still have access to support help from IPS when it comes to IPS products and Liquid Web has a surprisingly good support team of their own. Hosting bill has gone up though. Used to be $20 with IPS, now it's $25 with Liquid Web. Fair trade, if you ask me.

So, why was the site offline for so long and why is it still broken and buggy?

IPS had switched our files to specially encoded versions for their own servers a while ago. So the Hub/Home/Arena/Wiki worked just fine after I had restored the backup of ACU on the new servers (it was deleted by IPS, remember), but the Forum/Blog/Gallery/Downloads didn't. Neither did the Chat, since it was integrated with the forum. I had to get different IPBoard files to actually use IPBoard on a different hosting service, basically. We still have numerous problems, though. While the forum works in its basic state, the Gallery and Downloads section are desynched with their respective files. I'm not quite sure how to fix that, but I would assume I could manage something if I could access the forum's ACP. The problem is I can't access the forum's ACP. I get a 500 Internal Error, which is not a good thing. I can access everything else, though. Once I get the error with the ACP solved I can get to cleaning up whatever else is busted.

I still need to fix the ACP, Gallery, Downloads, and Chat. Everything else should be working fine. If you find things that aren't working fine, tell me. If the site is busted, I probably already know. If you find something wrong with the site, but can't contact me via the site, just send me an email at nijitenshiken@gmail.com. I will try to fix everything, but it may take time and I may bust the site a few more times trying it. Hahahaha.

Getting the forum up and running properly has nearly killed me with exhaustion, especially with the constant interruptions. I haven't even done all that much work. The Liquid Web guys have been amazing support and even IPS has made this migration as easy as possible with surprisingly decent support, but the mental stress with worrying about the site and trying to get it working fast and trying to figure out why all the busted parts are busted and it being ACU's Grand Opening Anniversary and ACV still being in its release week and everyone asking me what happened to ACU in so many PMs/emails and the drunks at my store... you probably get it. It didn't help that the way this entire event started was me being notified that they had deleted ACU without warning. That was a good way to spike my stress levels.

The site may also be mildly laggy since we switched hosts. Hopefully that clears up. There is also a scheduled downtime for our server in about 48 hours or so, so don't freak out if ACU is inaccessible.

PS: You people are god damn crazy.

When ACU went down, I expected you guys to all go to the other AC sites while it was down. When I checked the other AC sites I found that not a single extra person was on them. RR was the only site with more than one active member at any given time average. Normally I'd assume that was a positive thing. You know, you guys have other stuff to do and there's no rush to fix things and some of you are just really loyal or whatever. Nope. Throughout this entire thing I'm getting constant emails/PMs about ACU. On top of that, I made ACU available a few times throughout the day while I was fixing things to see if it was getting better. Each time I made ACU available, it took about two minutes before 5+ people were logged in (literally) and browsing the forum along with some guests. It made it feel like I had a bunch of crazy people looking over my shoulder while I was trying to get stuff working.

God damn addicts.

The situation is thus:

1.) Internets are difficult things

2.) AC5 is made of a really ineffective DDoS

3. Niji loves the forums more than chat

4. Niji should have used IBP 1.3 like a boss

5. I blame Vertex.

What other AC sites? I couldn't figure out how to get ACO to work, and I have never known where RR is and honestly wouldn't go there even if I did. Considering the people who've come out of it over the years, I envision that place as looking like a cross between Yahoo Answers and the second circle of hell (the one with the naked tornado). I did check RH, though. Did you know that the Japanese release of For Answer is less than a month away? We could all learn something from RH.

I sent you the futurama fix it fix it link. I hope that that was helpful.

My forum remains online.

Sorry you're getting shafted by the companies who didn't want to honor your contract and felt it more convenient to give you a good dry fucking and leave you with aids without your consent. Some of us can be patient :) Thanks for going through all the trouble to get the site back ASAP.

Nidge, don't be stupid. You know we all came here because we were fed up with the other ones! (And we all secretly love each other as a community.)

And don't be afraid to ask for help either! Jeez!

Now, how about I help with those hosting fees and take some stress off your back?

http://i40.tinypic.com/2jesfgy.jpg

Nidge, don't be stupid. You know we all came here because we were fed up with the other ones! (And we all secretly love each other as a community.)

And don't be afraid to ask for help either! Jeez!

Now, how about I help with those hosting fees and take some stress off your back?

http://i40.tinypic.com/2jesfgy.jpg

Don't do it, it's a trap.

When ACU went down, I expected you guys to all go to the other AC sites while it was down. When I checked the other AC sites I found that not a single extra person was on them. RR was the only site with more than one active member at any given time average. Normally I'd assume that was a positive thing. You know, you guys have other stuff to do and there's no rush to fix things and some of you are just really loyal or whatever. Nope. Throughout this entire thing I'm getting constant emails/PMs about ACU. On top of that, I made ACU available a few times throughout the day while I was fixing things to see if it was getting better. Each time I made ACU available, it took about two minutes before 5+ people were logged in (literally) and browsing the forum along with some guests. It made it feel like I had a bunch of crazy people looking over my shoulder while I was trying to get stuff working.

God damn addicts.

Welcome! You have entered [The Cafe] at 7:17 am

/back 10

[Niji] 7:11 am: I am Niji.

[LS] 7:18 am: oh hi niji

[Niji] 7:18 am: Are you serious.

[Niji] 7:18 am: Was the chat calling to you or something.

[LS] 7:19 am: Yes.