Shin Megami Tensei

Ataraxis

Cool bro if that part is what you really enjoy then fuckin HANDLE but I'm just saying that Nocturne is a lot more than making demons. Making demons is a very small part of it. That's all I was trying to see in that fucking wall of text. Well, that and Nocturne tells its story totally diff than Persona, but yeah.

Strange Journey isn't the main series.

Like main series is literally Shin Megami Tensei, Shin Megami Tensei 2, Shin Megami Tensei 3 (Nocturne), and now SMT4.

Ogawa guys like that are literally the reason it was so hard to get SMT stateside for so long hahahahaha you gotta realize SMT franchise is really really old. Like the book that started the franchise was written in the 80s I think.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I never claimed it wasn't more than that. Actually, I've been lauding you for pointing out the difference the whole time!

Strange Journey is main series. It's not numbered, but it's MegaTen through and through. According to ATLUS, anyway.

Age restricted link: http://www.atlus.com...urney/home.html

Nah bro, all of the SMT franchise games get the SMT tag on them. The main series is only 4 games.

Shin Megami Tensei

Shin Megami Tensei 2

Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne

Shin Megami Tensei 4

Those first 3 games are also like directly linked. 2 is the sequel to 1 and all 3 is built off of 2. idk about 4 cuz I haven't played it yet so I can't say.

Like, the original Persona was called Shin Megami Tensei: Persona. The original DDS was called Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga. Strange Journey's proper name is Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. So on.

This shit can get confusing cuz of the American naming conventions. Like I'm so old I remember when Persona first came out on ps1, and the name of the game in the old ads was "Revelations: Persona" with the creepy red letters.

this is also why the raidou spin-offs have those obscene fucking names

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzonoha vs The Soulless Army

I agree with you that Strange Journey definitely follows those core traits of SMT tho for sure, cuz that shit gets bleak as fuck, but I'm saying 1, 2, 3, and prolly 4, are all directly related.

I got heavy into this shit dood cuz I really like the ideas and stuff they kick around, and the aesthetics and stuff, just really vibes with me

this prolly all sounds wild combative but that's not what I'm trying to do I just fanboy over this stuff so yeah

I know about the American naming convention to put SMT on everything. I'm saying ATLUS specifically put SJ with SMT, SMT2, Nocturne, and also "SMT if..." which is apparently an alternate take on the first (I think?) game. They named only those titles and SJ when talking about "The Shin Megami Tensei series."

I can see where you're coming from though since, like I recognized before, SJ is very different from Nocturne. I hope it's clear I'm talking story and the whole team of soldiers thing and not visually, haha - I'm pretty sure it's very like the first two in that regard.

It's probably worth mentioning that I like SJ way more than Persona (or Devil Survivor) because of the way the story plays out, though the first Survivor is pretty great in that regard.

Soul Hackers would actually be my first Devil Summoner game so I dunno about how that would play out.

I read the atlus thing, and my real take away was they were just trying to sell SJ as connected somehow. The wording was cleverly set up, because they never actually said SJ had a connection to the others, aside from having SMT on it. That's why I pointed out that the other games are literally connected to each other.

Soul hackers doesn't play anything like Raidou so they're practically diff series. Just another one of their dumbass naming conventions thing. Soul hackers is closer to SJ play mechanics wise. You'd prolly love Raidou tbh those games are so cool. The settings are super unique, although if you want dark they might be less dark than any other SMT game. Still Raidou is the fucking man. Him and demi-fiend are like my two fave character designs. Yukari Takeba is way up there though.

Storywise no its on some other shit. SJ storywise was a lot closer to DDS and them than anything else, to me.

Yea

Cool bro if that part is what you really enjoy then fuckin HANDLE but I'm just saying that Nocturne is a lot more than making demons. Making demons is a very small part of it. That's all I was trying to see in that fucking wall of text. Well, that and Nocturne tells its story totally diff than Persona, but yeah.

Like main series is literally Shin Megami Tensei, Shin Megami Tensei 2, Shin Megami Tensei 3 (Nocturne), and now SMT4.

Ogawa guys like that are literally the reason it was so hard to get SMT stateside for so long hahahahaha you gotta realize SMT franchise is really really old. Like the book that started the franchise was written in the 80s I think.

Yeah I was curious about where SMT started awhile ago too see if it was worth the effort to dig up the stuff before SMT3 and DDS.

In SJ, it wasn't just the darkness of the story, it was they way they played it. SJ and Nocturne don't feel at all like typical RPG's to me, but Persona and Devil Survivor kind of lean that way. Having said that, I kind of wonder where you'd put Raidou on that scale.

Raidou plays 100% diff from the others for one, it's closer to like idk a Legend of Zelda game?

You run around and swing your sword and the demons float/crawl/walk/whatever around and do stuff for you. The rest of the time you're talking to people, gathering info, and just getting stuff done around the maps.

Raidou is weird dood, its nothing like the others. But it has loads of personality, and personality goes a long way.

• 1 month later...

I copped SMT4 so far so good

Did you get one of the first print release copies? I got one :D, haven't looked at the strategy guide. The concept art is really all I looked at. Pretty good game so far.

I'm just using whatever I get pretty much, like always until the end

Pele is hot and so is Angel so they're getting burn

mainly anytime there's a fine bitch i'm gonna gravitate towards that

at least until I start having access to ones that were like personal faves throughout the series like yoshitsune, seiten taisei, rama, 4 heavenly kings, etc

i'm deliberately leaving out chicks there cuz I mean...they're all my favorite

lol

honestly i think a more interesting question would be how have you been playing/building your guy so far? I've been wanting to stick to attack and gun skills and focus on stat buff skills with those, and um I also have a zio on there I think mainly cuz I haven't had many good zio users so far

been raising dex mainly then str and agi then luck and magic

that'll of course change dramatically in other playthrus I pretty much did everything there was to do buildwise in nocturne lol

lacking good zio users early seems to be pretty common in SMT games tho so w/e

Yeah I have Angel and Pele too, I agree with you on that one hahaha. Actually was a little surprised Angel was even less clothed when compared to her other appearances. Right now, I also have a Zhu Ten She, Centaur, CHagrin, Pixie, Gryphon and a Myrmecolion. Most of these I'll fuse into something else, although I'll keep Angel around till I get another healer.

yeah my demon list is like the same, makes sense in the beginning parts, I mean there won't be much deviation til mid to end when you start figuring out what you want and how to actually get it, just how it always works out

i do like the new pixie knockoff tho napaea or w/e i like that she has a non-pathetic starting strength. nice change

https://club.nintendo.com/ Just go there, and sign up. You'll need the little register paper thing that comes with the games if you bought them from a store. If you bought them digitally, link you're eShop account to your Club Nintendo, they'll register automatically if you buy any games from the eShop. However, if you did buy a game digitally before you linked the account, you'll have to send a ticket or whatever to Club Nintendo support to get them register.