Any details on mercenary work?

JuKE

I've been wondering about being a merc, I know the japanese version has been out since january and figure some people will know, all I could find in Niji's pinned thread was " Players can be hired as mercenaries, much like Ravens in older AC games, for territorial combat." So I have a few general questions.

If your already on a team can you still be hired as a merc?

If so can you merc against your own team?

What if the guy is a jerk and doesnt do anything does he still get paid?

Whats the payment system? Is it only money or can you give parts/emblems and designs away?

Does the merc have total freedom of the AC/weapins he'll bring on the mission?

Can you hire more then 1 merc on a single mission?

Can you hire a merc for multiple missions in a row?

Thats about it for now, if I think of any more ill add them. Thanks in advance im really looking forward to playing on the 20th.

When you start the game in ACV you are required ( sorta ) to put a team name, either an existing one or a new one but that does not entirely bind you to that team. You can still move/transfer to other teams.

Now to answer your question:

How it works is: there's a tab on the main screen that says Men of honour ( mercenary mode or whatever our english version will call it )

When you get to that screen, it's like you've now open yourself for incoming contracts (requests ) from other people/teams. In that mercenary-mode screen you have like a profile that can fully edit ( AC specialization, name, AC picture, rank [determined by average mission ranks] )

If I remember right ( from a friend who imported ), you can be hired for both story/order missions and invasion/defense missions ( territory control ). As for going against you own team, I'd say most likely no. Reason is your whole team gets alerted when your territory is threatened and when one goes in, the team ( or hired mercenaries by the one who initiated the mission ) has time to jump in before finally commencing the mission. Chances are unless you've been picked up as mercenary before the invading team finalizes the assault the I guess it might happen... But that's be a rare luck xD

Payment: payment is just from the missions itself, much like in AC4A where the mission has a set reward and gets split on both people doing the co-op. Here it's split over the number of participants so you could be doing invasion/defense mission with less than 4 AC ( I don't remember if operator gets paid ) and get a bigger share. As for do-nothing/worthless mercs, they still get the reward share regardless so.... Then again if you don't really cooperate well, 90% chance you'll end up getting the whole team destroyed and so no reward for anyone.

Emblem and AC design trading is still there ( not sure if restricted to team members only )

Oh yeah, you can hire up to 4 mercenaries on territory-related missions ( because you have 5 spots for them origially : yourself + 4 ) story/order mission alows only one partner. And as a mercenary you still have access to the garage while waiting and during mission briefing so change as much as you like. And lastly, merc-hiring is either manual picking or quick/random pick ( like match making/finding )

I think I covered all there.

Can you decide to be an Operator? Because from what I remember playing the demo when it was online, it was sort of random. Is there a setting you can choose so if you're a merc you can't be thrown on as the Operator of the team too (or maybe they already aren't able to be operators)? Edited by Mushinronja

Can you decide to be an Operator? Because from what I remember playing the demo when it was online, it was sort of random. Is there a setting you can choose so if you're a merc you can't be thrown on as the Operator of the team too (or maybe they already aren't able to be operators)?

Mission initiator will be set as party Leader. He sets the number beacons on maps and move around members ( as in set who is operator such as himself ), and I wouldn't be surprized if people decide being free lancing operators hahah.

"When you get to that screen, it's like you've now open yourself for incoming contracts (requests ) from other people/teams. In that mercenary-mode screen you have like a profile that can fully edit ( AC specialization, name, AC picture, rank [determined by average mission ranks] )"

sounds like if you don't have many friends on your list that play AC5 you might be out of luck getting anyone to request you fighting.

if that's the case I need a squad.

"When you get to that screen, it's like you've now open yourself for incoming contracts (requests ) from other people/teams. In that mercenary-mode screen you have like a profile that can fully edit ( AC specialization, name, AC picture, rank [determined by average mission ranks] )"

sounds like if you don't have many friends on your list that play AC5 you might be out of luck getting anyone to request you fighting.

if that's the case I need a squad.

Actually you don't need a squad at all. Most teams will use the "simple hire" button which will send an invite to a random mercenary. There is a mercenary search, but most people don't take the time to look through it. So you will be fine.

Be cool if they updated it and added a feedback Feature even just a +- % feedback or a completion failure rate.

I do know that the party leader can send a specialized msg to each of the mercs after the game. And also mercs have a rating from S and downwards similar to mission ranking. You can use the merc search menu to find good mercs with an 'A' or 'S' ranking if any are available. :P

Nice that would be good to use I wouldn't wanna hire an awful player. So I got some new questions for you guys.

How does your party leader choose which part of the world to attack?

How many maps are there in the game I'm guessing a lot.

How many turrets or defenses can you put up in one area?0

Nice that would be good to use I wouldn't wanna hire an awful player. So I got some new questions for you guys.

How does your party leader choose which part of the world to attack?

How many maps are there in the game I'm guessing a lot.

How many turrets or defenses can you put up in one area?0

The world is setup into the 8 maps... you chose a map that you want to play on. Each map is split up into dozens of territories and once you chose a map it picks a territory in the map based on different criteria. You don't get a set number of turrets instead you have a pool of power points you can spend and each different turret costs a certain amount.

You can pretty much think of power Points as area budget I guess... You can't more than what you can afford, and if I read correctly, bigger guns are unlocked the more your team levels up.

On a side note: I personally don't trust ranks that much, if it was based on mission ranks ( the story missions ) then I can expect people going cheap to get all S/A ranks like we all did in AC4/AC4A

Now that I think about it, we "could" start like a "mercenary white & black list" thread once we get settled as to alert everyone who is worth hiring and such.

You can pretty much think of power Points as area budget I guess... You can't more than what you can afford, and if I read correctly, bigger guns are unlocked the more your team levels up.

On a side note: I personally don't trust ranks that much, if it was based on mission ranks ( the story missions ) then I can expect people going cheap to get all S/A ranks like we all did in AC4/AC4A

Now that I think about it, we "could" start like a "mercenary white & black list" thread once we get settled as to alert everyone who is worth hiring and such.

It isn't based on mission rank at all... like I said, it is similar to mission rank.

Your rank is based on how successful your teams have been when you were in a group with them. If the teams you work for are consistently winning then you will have a higher mercenary rank.

The world is setup into the 8 maps... you chose a map that you want to play on. Each map is split up into dozens of territories and once you chose a map it picks a territory in the map based on different criteria. You don't get a set number of turrets instead you have a pool of power points you can spend and each different turret costs a certain amount.

Does mean there's only 8 actual maps to play on? And yeah I agree with moon that is harsh.

Think of the world breakdown this way:

8 "Lands"

Each having about a dozen or more "Camps"

Could've sworn the initial map layout way back last year was major lands divided to regions which are also divided to sectors ( like a sub-sub territory that dotted the zoomed in screen )

Oh yeah, controlling teams of territories get their team emblem stamp/shown on the map to everyone, and if I understood right, team with the highest rank/more territory control gets their emblem displayed on the world map as a dominant team on that land/region.

And that's basically what I'm hoping ACU or MV to reach within the first couple of months to recruit people to the forums and then start making competitive teams.

So then the camps are the maps you actually play on? And if so there's only what 96 attainable camps ? How could any new team even acquire a single territory? Maybe I'm just confused haha how many different territories are there to be taken by the teams? Like a few hundred each camp?

No... there are 8 continents (the 8 maps in the game)... each continent is divided into dozens and dozens of territories up for grabs... these territories do not have any visual representation until you win one and then your team emblem gets put there on your team's world map. Here is a video to show the world map of a team with a ton of territories:

Edited by GodlyPerfection

Each one of those territories within an 'area' doesn't have it's own map right? All territories or whatever you'd like to call them in an area share the same identical map.

Is that what you're saying?

As in there are just 8 playable maps. No matter what territory you're fighting over in that 'area' (as they are called in the video) it will appear the same in game. Or no.

If so that is a bit disappointing but they can always add more over the life of the game.