Are sniper cannons good in PvP?

YroPro

Are they very viable? I know they've gotten a huge buff, and against anything heavy they wreck, but against fast mediums and all lights I have a lot of trouble actually hitting people. I don't think the sensitivity can be changed.

Also, quads are best? Or heavy biped for the shield? RJs?

One last question, I think the heavy hitting 12k Dmg ones are best but I'd like some opinions.

Edit- Just occurred to me this should probably be in garage, designs, or FAQs...

Edited by YroPro

I cant see it working on anything other than tanks. Other than that, I see it posing more of a problem if you are stuck in a place too long. Too easy to get behind someone and kill them while they are in the scope screen.

This is what having an operator and coordinated team is for.

I haven't used the cannons yet, so I can't say much, but I'd guess that they would be significantly harder to use when fighting solo or without good teamwork.

They're pretty good for taking out some of the larger territory defenses without putting yourself in much danger. I've only used them on a tank so I can't vouch for their usefulness on other leg platforms. You can also peg people that are distracted elsewhere.

I find myself using the sniper rifles more often than the cannons. It's still early though so I'm sure some new ideas will crop up.

The only viable legs for a sniper cannon are the Tetra-pods and Tanks because on a non-Tetra(besides a tank that can't zoom), the bullet won't go in the center of the cross hair it will fire all around it. But so far the Salem kills heavies/Tanks in 4-5/6 shots and LW/MW in 3/4. Getting high up on the map and having a field of view is key. Such as finding path ways in which people have to take like a narrow bridge, canyon or a river. Also, use weapons to complement the SCs such as a Sentry guns, jammers, and Auto guns. I'm planning on making a Sniper Guide once I can do some more testing

They're very good at killing HW ACs and the AST sniper cannons are pretty useful on offense since they make great spam and drop weapons, but they before patch 1.02 they're kind of annoying to use since they're still balanced for ACV beta and the beta was very different from the full release. The increased reticle mobility helps a good bit, though.

Is friendly fire possible while using the weapons with sniper scopes?

Last night i went into an order mission against 2 ACs with a merc. The map was the long bridge with the 2ACs on the other end. Immediately after loading, I opened up my Sniper Cannon and was destroying the enemies from the other end of the bridge. The merc went in and got in the way of a few shots. At the time I didn't really look to see if I had damaged him, but at the end of the fight (which only lasted less than 2mins, i got both subquests for it) he only had about 9000AP left while i was still at full AP.

All that said, it is possible that he just took a huge amount of damage in that time from the enemy ACs (it was 2 tank types) but I couldn't help but think my shots may have damaged him. Thoughts?

So they might end up being more than just tank killers after the patch/update? ATM I can occasionally surprise mediums, but for the most part strafing makes most people impossible to hit. It's kind of sad they made it so slow it's literally impossible to keep some people in the scope because they pulled the super complex 'walk sideways' trick.

Is friendly fire possible while using the weapons with sniper scopes?

Last night i went into an order mission against 2 ACs with a merc. The map was the long bridge with the 2ACs on the other end. Immediately after loading, I opened up my Sniper Cannon and was destroying the enemies from the other end of the bridge. The merc went in and got in the way of a few shots. At the time I didn't really look to see if I had damaged him, but at the end of the fight (which only lasted less than 2mins, i got both subquests for it) he only had about 9000AP left while i was still at full AP.

All that said, it is possible that he just took a huge amount of damage in that time from the enemy ACs (it was 2 tank types) but I couldn't help but think my shots may have damaged him. Thoughts?

Friendly fire is on for all weapons. You can kick your teammates too. I killed a merc right before we were going to finish the mission so he wouldn't get part of the reward.

Friendly fire is on for all weapons. You can kick your teammates too. I killed a merc right before we were going to finish the mission so he wouldn't get part of the reward.

That explains it then, Thanks!

What happens if the merc kills you? I assume mission failure. That puts the merc in a really tight spot. Don't anger the host, or you may end up dead before they clear the mission!

90 is an asshole, yes. Yes, team killing is fully supported and your handheld jammers will affect your teammates as well. So you gotta practice a lot to make stuff like jammers work, can't just spam them and hope for a win, haha.

Anyway, snipers do get a bit easier to hit mobile ACs with. You'll still have a pretty hard time, though.