Shattered Heaven: Shadows of Existence

Azure Knight

I'm currently in the process of revising the 2nd novel in the Shattered Heaven series.

The first one can be purchased on Kindle here - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007QOVL38

I'll most likely put up the first 10 chapters of the book as it's being worked on. I'm not putting up the prologue because it blatantly has spoilers from the first book.

Chapter One: The Future Starts Here

A.R. 102 – Mars, Terrenus Continent

Following the fall of the Chimera the world was shattered; public trust in their nations quickly began to dwindle as questions peered into the minds of the many. The Chimera and all of its actions were labeled as an EAP Special Forces experiment that went out of control. Before the nations of Europe and Asia were able to respond the accusations grew in power. Neighboring nations in the Middle East quickly worked to distance themselves from the tainted reputation of the EAP. Spain, Italy, France, Russia, Germany, China and Japan found themselves being the only remaining political bodies governing the Pact. The smaller nations surrounding each began to break off aiming to become neutral to both parties. The war once again spiraled out of control on Mars; resources were becoming scarce for the EAP as the Alliance took advantage of their blight with the public. Over the years many EAP mining facilities were taken control of by the Alliance, forcing higher import taxes for the European and Asian nations. For the first time in nearly a decade the Alliance was growing a monopoly on the resources deemed as the Earth’s saviors.

A new focus became apparent; somewhere on the Martian continent labeled Terrenus was a new deposit of Sapphire-Lithium, a mineral capable of creating energy from particle collisions without the threat of emitting severe radiation. Both sides had turned their attention to the barely explored land of the crimson surface leading to continuous conflicts.

The wind blew harshly across the pallid Martian surface, dust and fallen Frame remnants dispersed into the air as the treads from the EAP’s latest warmonger designs marched forward. The current battle was to be a test, one to prove the mettle of their newly developed machines, the Goliath. A Frame and tank hybrid capable of near catastrophic destruction through the use of heavy armaments, the lower half was converted to be more stable by use the base structure of Armored Tanks, the wider base and stronger traction allowed for better balance when unleashing its fury. The machines themselves stood taller than most average Frames at around thirty-two meters, they truly were an ominous sight to behold.

To their dismay, the test run wasn’t going as smoothly as they had hoped for. Their forces were being swatted down with relative ease. Explosions littered the sky and ear-shattering booms frightened those in the area. The deepening bass sound reverberating through their ears kept everyone on edges. Their nerves tense and high strung. A single transport made its way through the area of operations, an EAP special units vessel. The hover transport was obsidian in color with an aura of energy surrounding it in order to protect the cargo. All EAP soldiers in the area instantly recognized the transport as an Omega. To the EAP, the Omega were the top of the elite in piloting skill. Time and time again they performed special operations that often went unnoticed. They all took pride in the belief that “if you do something right, people won’t even notice”, but those in the EAP did. Rumors of their ruthlessness and cunning were of legend. For them, they were preparing to witness a rare treat, an early Christmas; to see on of the Omega participate in battle.

Within the transport the mechanics assigned to the unit quickly began to scurry from the tuning stations as the warning light began to flash. His eyes began to quiver and his fingers slowly put a stop to their petulant tapping rhythm. The pilot quietly began to chuckle under his breath upon hearing the announcement:

Zach Orion, you are clear for launch.

The rest of the crew kept their distance, he was an Omega, and they were never known for their social skills. What was more frightening was his

youth, barely even seventeen and considered to be the most sadistic pilot in the unit. His raven dark hair hid the expression of pure joy and excitement that was likely taking shape, but even still, everyone kept their distance.

“Still not comfortable eh? Suppose I can’t blame you. I’d be afraid of me too,” Zach quietly mocked. He took his glance elsewhere, up at his trustworthy sword, his Frame, Hades. A Halloween-like paint scheme, something he had chosen to separate himself from the others in the unit. Orange and black, the colors that had sort have defined him ever since joining the EAP as a mechanic when he was thirteen. Always considered a prodigy, Zach took pride in his reputation. The bellowing screams of anguish that echoed from the outside, the sound of war, continued onward.

“My helmet?”

Everyone stood quiet, each one scurrying to find where it was. Zach didn’t need to say anything else, he barely spoke; it wasn’t something he was fond of. The disappointing sighs and impatient glares made everyone’s hair stand on end.

Zach turned his attention to the slowly opening transport gates, the explosions were getting closer, and he knew he couldn’t bother playing around anymore.

“Nevermind, I left it in my cockpit,” he chuckled as he allowed the men and women to find reassurance. He stood on the elevator that began ascending towards his already opened hatch. In the far distance he could hear the crewmates cursing him underneath their breath but it didn’t bother him too much. All of his life he was considered to be different, he was an outsider. The opinions of those beneath him mattered little, if at all. The hatch sealed him into the only place he felt at ease. Glancing at the mission-briefing screen he was surprised at how little information the EAP had in regards to the current situation. His smile widened, the unknown, going into a battle with no preconceptions and having to rely solely on instinct; it was his preference.

“We’ve arrived, Zach.”

“I know. Just make sure you clear the area. I can’t guarantee your safety.”

“Looking out for us are we? After all this time, are you finally softening up?”

“Hell no. Zach Orion, heading out.”

The Omega operator laughed a little as he watched Zach’s Frame launch into the area of operations. With haste he turned to the helmsman, instructing him to create as much distance between the warzone as possible.

“This shouldn’t last long, is that what you’re thinking?” The superior officer assigned to the sortie spoke up, much to the surprise of the operator. He turned to pay respects and salute his superior. A veteran looking soldier who stood firm by his commander’s deck, the General turned to the younger operator, his eyes a vibrant cerulean hue, never once moved away.

“Well, sort of sir…it is Zach after all,” the operator replied, his voice trembling with anxiety. The General before him had become a legend in the EAP; the scars that lined his face were proof of the dues he had paid. The rigid features of his facial structure depicted a man hardened by various trials and his Russian accent, heavy and deep solidified the imposing stature.

“Do you really believe we don’t have any information as to the current situation? We merely didn’t pass it along to Zach, you know how he gets.”

“General?”

“The units that are dismembering our Goliaths with such ease. What other Alliance unit could it be?”

The operator didn’t even think of questioning the situation, not once did it cross his mind. But looking at the General’s face, he realized the depths of the situation. Zach, while fierce and skilled, was also impulsive and brash. If he had known before hand, it wouldn’t have surprised anyone on the ship if nothing less than a bloodbath occurred.

“General…the last time he fought stronger opponents….”

“Indeed, everyone in the area, Alliance and EAP alike were slaughtered. Zach is truly something unique to us, but only if he can be controlled. I think his abilities surpass that of the Chimera two years ago.”

“This is bad…we need to have every EAP soldier retreat before they get caught up in this!”

“General Libertas!” A female soldier accompanied by two males quickly entered the command deck.

“Lieutenant Sequor, Major Praevelo and Major Shaw, I didn’t expect to see you so soon,” the General replied.

“It’d be best if we handed the situation!”

“Calm down Keira, let Zach handle this one. I personally want to see what he is capable of,” the silver haired Major beside her placed his hand softly on her shoulder.

“Animus…”

“If General Libertas feels it’s a good decision, then we’ll trust him with it. After all, this is that Alliance unit, and besides, it’s too late now. Once Zach’s gone, he’s going to fight until his heart’s content.” Major Shaw replied with a suave and confident tone. He quickly plotted his body onto one of the seats in the FCS areas. With a smirk he smiled back at Keira and Animus.

“Indeed. I have a feeling this will be a defining moment for the boy. Let him have it and if he were to fail, you three will be in charge of clean up. I want to see if those Alliance brats can survive the Reaper of Hades,” General Libertas scoffed.

“I wonder if this will turn out well,” Keira whispered underneath her breath. Both Lenard and Animus kept to themselves, their eyes focused forward, watching the live feed of the action.

Subtle opaque clouds rose off the crimson dunes as Zach’s Frame continued to close in on its destination. The radar was no longer needed; his eyes were able to clearly see the entire situation in full. Zach took a quick mental note of how many Goliaths were still intact, only four. Out of a battalion of ten, only four of them were still active. These towering beasts, geared with top of the line armor and weaponry were being bested by a single unit, it wasn’t something many would believe, but there it was, all the evidence one would need. Mechanical limbs were scattered and lodged into the Martian surface, cables flung wildly from the still active electrical currents that ran through their so-called veins.

“This is ridiculous. What good are these damn things if they can’t take out a single unit?” Zach continued to feel perplexed. As his machine made its way over the final mountain he was able to see the complete picture. The remaining four Goliaths were releasing their ammunition into the sky at a hurried pace. The sky lit up with a vibrant display of explosions while clouds dissipated from the smaller target’s maneuvers. His anticipation and excitement had taken absolute control over his patience. Hades began to hum with energy charging from behind the thrusters. The young pilot no longer cared about the “why”, he just wanted to experience it for himself; his bloodlust had returned after so long. Hades launched furiously into the distant horizon.

Two of the Goliaths continued their onslaught into the sky. The pilots inside the machine were sweating from the intensity of the situation along with the frustration of missing their target. The first Goliath took a step forward, its pilot had lost whatever remained of his patience and put his full effort forward.

“Commander, wait!”

“What is it now?”

“Don’t you hear the alarms? You’re getting too frustrated!”

The lead Commander and first pilot for the lead Goliath didn’t want to hear it. The thought that he, someone with years of experience and numerous decorations under his belt could become blinded by rage and raw emotion, but it was true. His lips bit down on one another, hoping to keep in his disappointment.

“Where’s it coming from?” He resigned himself for the moment, he wouldn’t apologize or even admit he was wrong, but this would have to do.

“Three O’clock sir! Quick!”

The Goliath’s targeting system abruptly changed its direction and took aim towards the small brush of vegetation and trees. The FCS continued to bleep while trying to grab a lock. Just before any lock could be obtained an explosion from behind forced their attention elsewhere. The instantaneous boom of thunder shook the ground below.

“That was Emily’s unit!” The Goliath commander yelped as he turned to see another one of his units collapse to the ground in a fury of flames.

“We’re trying to contact them but…nothing, sir,” the Ensign nervously spoke.

“Just who the hell are these guys?”

“SIR!”

“Damn it!”

The Goliath found its target and began to fire at once. The crimson Frame nimbly avoided every shot and within a split second, attacked. The treads of the Goliath were sliced in half with a near blinding flash of light. The smaller Frame sheathed its energy saber just as it touched the ground while the beast tipped over violently. A torrential blast of dirt ripped through the sky while the pilots inside were thrown about.

“Damn it…that’s impossible!”

“Commander Contandino what are we going to do now?”

The blue-eyed commander looked down at the Ensign, from his quivering lips and wide-eyed expression he knew what was going on in his mind. It would have been simple to lie, to say that things would be alright, but there wasn’t any way for him to do in a manner that would be believable. He took a deep breath while trying to move the controls one last time. The Commander snickered when he was greeted with nothing but that of a clicking sound; the machine was unresponsive.

“There’s nothing else we can do. We’re at their mercy.”

The Frame merely glanced back at the fallen enemy. There was no way to predict what the Alliance unit would do, the Goliath’s commanding unit was helpless, it was a matter of fulfilling the mission. But even still, the EAP Commander was in shock as the Frame launched back into the sky, heading towards the rest of its unit and the fighting.

“What just happened sir?”

“We got lucky. Of all people to run into, we ran into him. That was by the grace of God. The Alliance pilot who is tactical in his method and merciful to his enemies. I never believed it. But I was wrong. Maybe, just maybe there are different methods worth looking into when it comes to ending this war.”

“Commander Contandino?”

“Lucian, we’ve been friends for a while now. Do you trust me?”

“With my life sir.”

“Good. I’ll make sure to get you home to your family.”

The remaining two Goliaths continued their attack into the sky. The streaming trail of ammunition and energy beams lit up the sky without letting up. The Alliance Frames sped in and out of the attacks, each machine dashing gracefully through the free sky. It was the same thing over and over again. The Goliaths were highly powered but they were slow and this unit they were facing took advantage.

“The Commander is down! It’s just us! Lieutenant Renatio, do you have a lock?” The female pilot shouted.

“Nothing, it’s like these guys just disappear and reappear out of thin air! It’s insane!” Anwar Renatio, a former central intelligence officer for the EAP who had been given the task of running Goliath 006, replied. It was hard to keep calm and focused after hearing about their commander, but all soldiers are taught to keep their composure.

“These pricks like taking it into the air, so we’re going to flush them out. Set up your ion positron cannons, we’ll ignite the atmosphere!”

“Karen, you’re insane!”

“You say that, but you and I both know that’s where the intrigue comes from.”

“Fiery girl. Arming the cannons, it’s going to take about a minute to properly charge them. You sure we’re going to have enough time?”

“No, but I’ll do my best to cover you!”

“Works for me. Here we go you Alliance shits!”

Two barrels extended outwards from the Goliath’s shoulder units. Connected to the energy fuel tank attached to the back of the core, the barrels began to gather energy while targeting the clouds above. Anwar’s eyes winced at the blurs of energy that continued to fly in rapid patterns avoiding the bullets being thrown in their direction. His trigger finger continued to dance around the edge of the button, he wanted to fire but he knew he had to wait.

“Come on damn you!”

Anwar’s left hand slammed firmly against the control panel when he heard the FCS computer ring a soothing tone.

“Finally!”

The cannon roared with a thunderous boom just as two beams of energy fired into the sky. Anwar gripped tightly onto his restraints to withstand the recoil from the attack, his nerves were tense as he watched his attacks pierce upwards.

“Don’t just leave it like that! Curve the beams! Keep the energy flowing!” Karen screamed from Goliath 003. He knew his enemies were too nimble for a straightforward attack to work. He forced the behemoth to rotate the core and as a result cause the energy beams to move in trajectory.

The thickened beams of fuchsia energy ripped holes in every cloud it came in contact with. The EAP could only watch with a smile, as the attack seemed to gain momentum.

“NOVUS!” The pilot cringed at the bellowing sound that emanated from his communication link.

Adam Novus, the pilot who had garnered fame after successfully putting an end to the rampage of the Chimera two years ago. In an instant he watched as his call sign, the Azure Knight, quickly took up a reputation that made blending in difficult. The EAP considered him a high priority target along with his brother and their unit. Adam smirked; he applied pressure to the thrusters, which forced his Frame, Blue Dragon to increase the distance between himself and Mario Liberalis’ Frame. As the azure Frame dashed through the air the beams followed. Anwar struggled to keep a firm control, the energy was depleting quickly and the Goliath’s gears were burning up from the excessive pressure.

“Stay still you little prick!” Anwar shouted.

Blue Dragon, Adam’s custom designed machine curved and began to make its descent towards Goliath 003. Adam glanced back to see the beams still heading in his direction.

“Is he going to…. yeah…. he’s going to…” Mario muttered just as he pulled his machine to a halt.

Adam’s right arm pulled back on the throttles and quickly jolted out of the way of the incoming threat. Karen’s eyes widened as she began to fire. Before she could even obtain a solid lock-on the oncoming beams originally sent by Anwar engulfed her display screen.

“Fuck!” Karen screamed.

Adam sighed as he watched the beams pierce through the core of the Goliath, which erupted into a massive burst of flames and smoke. Blue Dragon hovered amongst the falling debris and soot, Adam quietly looked down at the fallen enemy and the raging fires that now covered it. His hands slowly let go of the throttles, leaving his Frame idle.

“KAREN!” Anwar, enraged could no longer keep a steady composure. The cannons retracted back into an idle position to recharge, the situation wasn’t ideal, but that didn’t matter. Anwar released all the safety restrictors on all of the armaments and began to lock-on. He couldn’t tell why his enemy refused to move, nor did he care.

“You tricked me…I’ll make damn sure that you pay with your life!”

“MOVE!” A feminine voice echoed from the distance. Her warning woke Adam up from his trance; with little time he maneuvered his Frame to the side just in time to avoid the energy that came speeding towards him. His eyes were wide and he was in shock as he jolted back to face his other teammate.

Heather Pertencia merely smirked with a mocking glare while the beam from her sniper cannon pierced through the final Goliath. The attack missed the core but did enough damage to topple the prototype weapon.

“Cutting that a little close, no?” Adam’s facial expression appeared frustrated which only made Heather laugh some more.

“Not my fault you were in a daze. What the hell was that about anyway?”

“Nothing, just let it go.”

In the far distance Zach could only gaze in astonishment. Never before had he witnessed that level of strategic teamwork. He had his fill of watching the Goliaths try and take on the Alliance unit.

“That was actually pretty damn impressive, but…it just means I won’t have to hold back for once!”

Hades launched forward, its energy patterns were immediately picked up by Heather’s long range FCS.

“We’ve got another one. Looks like a normal Frame this time,” Heather informed the group.

Both Stephen Novus and Mario Liberalis hovered by Adam’s Frame as they all turned to greet the oncoming threat.

“So you guys were the ones who managed to take out all of those Goliaths! Care to try your luck with me?” Zach no longer had the restraint of a pilot; he was merely an animal on the hunt. Hades began to unleash plasma blasts one right after another from his dual equipped rifles. Each attack sped passed the three Frames at the forefront, much to Adam’s surprise.

Stephen quickly figured out what was going on and quickly launched into action. Alpha, a newly modified design that emphasized more aerial speed than it did before, sped off in the direction towards Heather’s position.

“What’s going on?” Mario questioned.

“He’s aiming to take out the long range back up!” Stephen exclaimed.

“Oh…well, screw that!” Mario yelled but before he could make a move Hades appeared on Anima’s side.

“So easily distracted, kind of a disappointment,” Zach mocked.

Anima’s left arm swung upwards, at the same time it sent out its metallic whips that forced Hades to back away. Zach snickered and countered

the attack by kicking Anima on the side of the core. The full brunt of the attack sent the ivory Frame crashing into the ground.

“And what about you? You had a pretty good opportunity to attack me right there. You should have taken it.”

Adam remained silent; he continued to size up the Frame that had just appeared in front of him. He was quietly impressed, in a few moments this enemy managed to force his brother away and dispatch Mario. It wasn’t something he saw often.

“Not going to say anything? I like to get more energy out of my prey,” Zach continued to bark.

Adam sighed, still refusing to say anything. Stephen noted that Heather was fine, the beams had managed to disable her sniper cannon and arm unit, but that was the only damage.

“If you’re going to engage him, be careful. His shots are deadly accurate. Those rifles of his are for mid-range, but he had clear targets in mind when he shot these from that long distance,” Stephen informed Adam.

“I’m not too concerned. Thanks though.”

“Not too concerned? When are you going to start taking things seriously for once?”

“Hey, not to interrupt this but who said the pipsqueak would get the shot at this guy?” Mario laughed as Anima burst into the sky. Hades turned to face the incoming Frame but was taken by surprise when the metal whip found its way wrapped around his lower leg unit.

“When the hell did you do that?” Zach was confused; he never once felt the impact of the attack.

“When? Oh, when you kicked me to the curb. You’re an petulant little brat, aren’t you?”

“You’re saying you feigned a weak moment? That’s pretty clever.”

“What can I say, I’m a clever prick.” Mario laughed as Anima swung its arms around forcing Hades to be flung through the air. “So you were saying?”

Zach remained calm and collect as he recovered his Frame from the spiraling pattern it was in.

“So, who’s going to deal with him? Who was the one to deal with the lead unit last time?” Mario asked. “I can’t recall. I thought Stephen did,” Adam replied.

“Really? I could have sworn that it was you, Mario,” Stephen interjected as Alpha returned back to the group.

“You sure? Who was it again? I’ve lost track.”

“I think it was the one with the call sign Fafner, I could be mistaken though,” Adam interrupted.

Zach quickly made his approach back towards his enemies but was still shocked at their lack of movement.

“I thought it was Lenard, now that I think of it,” Mario pondered.

“No, you’re both wrong. It was Oracle,” Stephen replied.

Adam smirked, he knew what it meant, due to their usual rotation, and it meant that it was his turn. He couldn’t remember exactly when they started putting this system into play but he couldn’t careless. It had been a while since he was given the opportunity to fully cut loose without any interruptions.

Zach began to smile upon seeing Blue Dragon move forward towards him. His fingers once again wrapped around the throttles, his torso leaned forward with anxiety.

“You can handle him, right?” Adam didn’t even want to acknowledge the question being asked of him by his brother. He knew it was sarcasm and something to get him excited.

“Just make sure that there’s no interference,” Adam shortly replied.

“Got it, just don’t have too much fun,” Mario scoffed.

“Are you sure you don’t want their help? You might just need it.”

“I’m fine, thanks for the concern though.”

“You really must not know who I am then. I’m the Iron Reaper of the EAP. If you need a history lesson then I’ll be more than happy to oblige. You’re going to regret taking me on by yourself!”

“Never heard of you,” Adam replied with a brash grin and his hands firmly placed on his throttles. The time for talk had ended.

Zach remained quiet for a moment. Silent in order to fully understand the insult that was thrown his way, he couldn’t figure it out, how this Alliance soldier could not have ever heard of him. Him, the man behind the killings of hundreds of Alliance pilots, him, the man who destroyed even those of his own unit because they got in his way. The thought of not being heard of was beyond ridiculous.

“You’re joking right?”

“Nope. Now are we going to do this or what?”

Adam had felt drained from the day’s activities and didn’t want to waste anymore of his energy. Blue Dragon abruptly shot out from its position, Zach was surprised by the quick line of action and struggled to respond. Blue Dragon’s right and left arms began to slash down as its opponent forcing Zach to remain on defense. Each energy saber swiped at the energy shields that covered the arm units of Hades. The two Frames slowly moved through the air, making their ways towards the mountainous region just on the outskirts of the operations area. With each furious attack Zach cringed, he tried to find an opening to retaliate but with each moment, had no such luck.

“Just who the hell do you think you are? You have no idea, absolutely no idea who the hell I am!”

“It doesn’t matter. Let’s just get this over with. I’m bored,” Adam sullenly mocked.

“Bored?!”

Hade’s arms quickly thrust upwards, breaking the attack pattern that Adam was using. With the free moment Zach swung a punch only to find nothing. His crimson eyes grew open in disbelief while Blue Dragon hovered on its enemy’s left side.

“Impatient.”

“You’re mocking me! Don’t mock me!”

Hades sped towards Blue Dragon just as it reached for its energy scythe. Adam was able to see the attack with clarity and countered with little effort. The thigh cannons attached to the lower half of the core rose and fired in an instant. The cerulean beams of energy exploded with a direct hit that sent Hades into a free fall.

“Just…. just who is this asshole. He’s able to read me with such ease…”

“I’m bored, you’re boring me. Let’s just end this. Head back to your transport. The Alliance owns this territory now,” Adam sighed.

“You…”

“I’m done. Let’s go home Stephen.”

Blue Dragon docked its energy sabers and began to fly towards the rest of the group. Zach couldn’t believe what he was seeing. His enemy mocked him, spared him, and embarrassed him. His muscles began to tighten with rage building. The breathing patterns became irregular and his thought process altered. The display screens in his cockpit began to adjust to a crimson hue with the words “limit release” flashing.

“Don’t….” Zach’s voice trailed off, more like a whisper.

Adam quickly turned around to see Hades firing its dual plasma rifles in his direction. Blue Dragon swatted each attack down with some swordplay from its sabers. Before being able to feel comfort, Hades suddenly dashed to Adam’s side, a maneuver he couldn’t have detected. The energy scythe slashed through empty air as Blue Dragon instinctively reacted and dodged.

“Well I didn’t expect to see that out today,” Mario joked.

“Looks like we find ourselves a unique one,” Stephen muttered to himself.

A blurred dark red aura of energy seemed to be emanating off of Blue Dragon’s core, it was the side affect of the activated Angel System O.S. Adam never expected to be forced to use it, not against normal soldiers. The pilot within Hades was no longer speaking; all Adam could hear were the dense metallic howls that appeared to be coming from his opponent’s Frame.

“It couldn’t be…” Adam’s thoughts began to trail, remembering the events from two years ago. The machine that he engaged and all of the pure rage and chaos that it brought, it was a nightmare. The feeling of his nerves freezing up was the same back then. He knew at that moment that he couldn’t take this opponent lightly. Hades once again began to dash towards Adam. Blue Dragon’s wings extended outwards and launched a fury of orbital weapon attacks. Each weapon continued to keep the energy barrage on Hades, stopping its movement. Smoke burst out from the points of impact while Hades managed to move away. Upon the escape Zach was once again confronted. Adam, silent and focused moved forward. With two clean slashes, the core unit of Hades was dislodged from the lower torso.

Zach couldn’t speak, there was nothing left to say. His limit release message vanished, replaced by warning messages. Blue Dragon headed back towards Stephen and the others.

Hades crashed into the river below while the remaining Alliance units began to leave.

“I need to know…just…who are you?” Zach managed to speak while his consciousness was beginning to fade. His head was pounding intensely and his vision was turning black, but he had never come across an opponent like this before.

Adam glanced back down at the fallen enemy and let out a sigh. “If it means that much to you, Adam Novus.”

“Adam…Novus…the…. Azure Knight?” With Zach’s final breath he spoke the name of the man that would be known as the first to ever defeat an Omega. Zach’s eyes closed as he passed out from his exertion and injuries.

Chapter Two: Transition

The war had taken its toll on everyone in the Alliance. One tireless campaign after another, the fighting never seemed to stop. Evo, the central hub of Alliance activity had grown over the passed two years with the growing amount of men and women signing up for the military. All sorties and transport back to Earth went through here. Being an integral part of the Alliance’s establishment on Mars its defensive capability was second to none. It was important for the men and women of the military to feel secure in a facility that not only acted as an intelligence hub, but also as a place for them to relax and take time for themselves outside from the fighting.

There was a buzz brewing due to the recent activities in the Southwestern Territory on Mars. It was still considered to be an unknown area, not completely explored. Reports of a mysterious energy barrier had everyone guessing. No one had properly been able to survey the area and the origins behind it were nothing more than speculation. Weather conditions around the globe had been worsening for the time of the year; windstorms and coastal flooding were making carrying out operations dangerous and difficult. It was a rare moment of down time for the Alliance, one that its soldiers made sure to make the best of.

The common pavilion of the dorm rooms had been bustling for the passed few hours. Wide-eyed Ensigns were the prime culprit for the anxiety and cramped area. For most of them it was their first break from the action, it was a chance to wind down and get to know one another. The pavilion was elevated from the rest of the dorm rooms and overlooked the Martian horizon. Set up with pool tables and VR gaming centers provided by Genesis, it was the high point for those wanting social interaction.

“I heard your boys were busy this week. Don’t you think they may be getting carried away?” Nicole Mest, a General for the Alliance casually muttered as she twirled the olive in her drink. Next to her was someone she considered a friend and mentor. General Frank Copiare, a respected veteran in the Alliance and looked up to by many, he merely smirked at her remark. The two of them sat at the far end of the bar across the pavilion floor from the lounge section. His eyes told the story of a man who had seen enough, torn with turmoil and frustration but he never once gave off that sort of aura. He knew Nicole was right, his team, Stephen Novus’ unit had been more vocal as of late. Their sorties always ended with a sort of flair for the theatrical. He could tell the higher ups were starting to become agitated by them. But deep down, they’d never question the team responsible for defeating the Chimera.

“Not surprised you feel that way.”

“I understand that their worth in this military has grown substantially over these two years, but don’t you think you should tighten your leash on them?”

“Why?”

“Because they’re making themselves a target. Completely wiping out a prototype EAP battalion on their own is sure to have put a high price tag

on their head.”

“They can handle themselves. History has shown us that.”

“Maybe you’re right,” Nicole finished what little was left of her drink as she gently pushed the barstool away.

“A bit early to be calling it a night.”

“You know me, I never sleep. There’s much work to be done.”

“You mean the Recluse thing?”

“You know I can’t talk about that sir. Not even to you.”

The General shook his head in disappointment. “Worth a shot.”

“You don’t mind me asking why the sudden interest in this covert op, do you?”

“It’s personal, Nicole.”

“Don’t worry about it sir. It’s just a simple survey sortie. I doubt anything will go wrong. My team is going along as well.”

“You have a lot of faith in them. It’s good to have that in your own team. That sort of thing makes you realize a lot.”

“Such as what?”

“You’ll know when the time is right. Have a good night Nicole.”

“You too sir.”

“(I wonder if things will play out as smoothly as she’s suggesting.)”

General Copiare continued onwards with his drink as the news reports flashed on the screen above the bar. Being an Alliance network it was mostly propaganda information against the EAP. News and information that would help to rile up the eager soldiers, the ones looking to prove themselves. Copiare paid it no attention like always.

“Do you believe what they say?” Stephen Novus caught his superior officer by surprise as he sat down besides him. The General gave a curious

smirk, ignoring the question. “I’ll take that as a no. It’s impressive really, that you’ve lasted this long while holding onto some doubt,” Stephen continued.

“I do what I have to in order to protect those I care about. It’s what a good soldier does.”

“You mean, not bite the hands that feed him?”

“I suppose you could say that. You’re back early.”

“It wasn’t much of a mission.”

“The subject was retrieved without a hitch then?”

“I wouldn’t say without a hitch, but yes, she’s fine. Didn’t expect to run into EAP prototype machines though. You could have given us a heads up

on that.”

“Seems like you handled it alright.”

“If I didn’t know you any better, I’d say you enjoy giving us a challenge.”

“Let’s say that it keeps your skills sharp. Did she say anything?”

“No. General, can I ask something?”

“Something tells me no matter how I reply, you’re going to ask anyway,” Copiare laughed.

“Why was this person on her own? The report says she was running tests on a highly classified project, but, she was close to EAP territory and with no protection…” The General slowly placed his glass of hard liquor on the finely polished oak top of the bar. His right hand still wrapped around the opaque glass that held less than a quarter of alcohol while his left hand waved the bartender away. He didn’t turn to face his subordinate, he merely leaned forward, removing his hand from its hold and clamping them together underneath his downed chin.

“You answered it already. It’s classified. Even I’m not privy to exactly what she was working on out there. All I know is that it was important enough to send a full EAP unit, armed with highly powerful prototype weapons after her. That’s why I recommended you for the sortie. I couldn’t think of anyone else that would have been able to pull off a successful mission with an expected failure rate.”

“You’re aware this just makes me a little more uneasy, right?”

“I know.”

“And about that other thing I asked you to look into?”

“I don’t have anything for you right now Stephen. It’ll take some more time.”

“Figured you’d say that. Thanks for looking into it.”

“If I could give a recommendation, try to take your mind off of it for a little while. You and your team are on leave now. I can’t allow you to head

back to Earth yet, but at the very least you can make the most of your time here on Evo.”

“Won’t make any promises.”

“Well try. How’s your brother?”

“Adam? He’s gotten used to the idea of being a dog, but he’s still not over everything that happened, he tries to tell me otherwise but I can see

through it.”

“He’s being forced to wear the mantle of a hero without being able to tell the truth of the situation. He’s been forced into the politics of it all. I’m

sure he’s not too pleased about that.”

“He’s willing to do things my way, for now. But even with that said, today he was forced to take a life. I’m sure that just made things harder for

him.”

“I see…”

The bag continued to take a pounding with every passing second. Each physical impact was harder and more forceful than the last. Sweat rolled down the dark mahogany hair of Adam Novus with each movement that he made. He alone stood in the gym on the lower end of the dorm facility, alone in the dark as he continued to take out his frustrations on the highly durable seventy-pound bag. Each grunt increased in decibels with every hit, every agonizing memory that weighed down on his shoulders. His right and left hands increased their speed going back and forth while the bag bounced from side to side. He was in his own world, not even looking or caring to acknowledge if anyone was around him. This was his solace from the pain, from everything he had experienced and taken in to this point.

“Thank you.”

“What? Don’t thank me yet, that just sounds weird.”

“You know about my mom. You knew how I felt about everything…and yet, you still were willing to embrace me and all my negative emotions.”

“I told you to stop talking like that. We never had any proper chances to really get to know one another better. You know that night on New Year’s meant a lot to me. But right after it you were gone with your father. We haven’t been given a chance yet so don’t go off talking like this. Not now!”

“It’s too late…I’m sorry.”

“Amy?”

“You’re in the way.” The unknown pilot’s Frame now hovered behind Adam. Adam quickly jolted the throttles around in hopes of striking his

enemy. In an instant Adam’s mech was thrown to the ground like his brother before. He watched in slow motion as his remaining arm was slashed from its joints leaving the demonic Frame with no obstacles.

“No…. no…. NO!” Adam’s hands firmly grasped the throttles, dozens of lock on boxes appeared on screen, all of which changed to a crimson lock around his enemy. The remaining energy cannons flipped upwards while gathering energy.

“This will completely deplete everything I have left…you better do something you piece of shit!”

A thunderous roar of brilliant blue energy torched the sky heading straight towards its intended target. Adam’s heart was clutched in anxiety as he watched his final hope in action. The six wings of his opponent flung open creating what appeared to be a sphere of energy surrounding the machine. To Adam’s disbelief he watched as his attack dispersed into the atmosphere while the machine remained untouched. As Adam crashed into the singed ground the darkened Frame’s energy lance was thrust forward into the core of the Omega. Amy’s eyes widened in agony as the explosion drowned out her and her father’s screams. It happened in an instant but to Adam it was nearly an eternity. He remained frozen in fear; numb to what had transpired. A mere moment ago he was on the verge of saving her life and now, nothing was left. Amongst the burning, ravaging flames the mysterious Frame stood while the Omega slowly crumbled to the ground, its joints becoming dislodged and tiny explosions breaching its hull.

“AMY!” Adam screamed as he abruptly forced himself awake. Stephen descended towards his brother’s fallen machine. He held out his energy saber preventing Adam from moving forward.

Adam’s eyes twitched, tensely closed while another forceful hit was thrown into the bag. The thought of Amy Caecus, the thought of her demise played back in his mind. His muscles tightened and he continued his regiment. Grunting louder than before he pummeled the bag with no restraint. His breathing had become labored but he continued on through pure emotion, ignoring his physical limitations.

“So…. Sean…. Christina…Jen…. even Mike…. you’re telling me that they’re gone?”

“I’m sorry….” Stephen didn’t know what else to say.

“Adam…” Heather muttered while Caleb just watched the scene unfold, unsure of how to respond.

“We were right there…RIGHT THERE!” Adam screamed. “This is entirely my fault! If he didn’t bring me this information…if I didn’t force him to tell me more then…. then….”

His knees buckled from the pressure. Growling from the pain he pushed forward. Adam threw his left into the bag with full force, completely disregarding the pain that was now being sent through his body.

“Damn it!” He shouted.

“You’re going to tire yourself out at the rate you’re going.”

Adam turned to face the direction the voice had emanated from. He was surprised to see Caleb Proditio walk through the door to the gym. Caleb was part of their team but had been on a separate mission for the passed two months, it was surprising to see him all of a sudden back on Evo. Adam sighed as he threw his exhausted and panting body onto the padded wall to the right of him. His body slowly slid to the ground as Caleb casually walked through the room.

“I thought you were off investigating the Southwestern Territory?” Adam asked, his breathing patterns still showing off his exhaustion.

“I was, but we weren’t getting anywhere so they sent me back here. Here,” Caleb tossed a water bottle through the air as he replied. Adam chuckled as he caught it.

“So what’s up, I don’t assume this is a casual visit,” Adam replied. He unscrewed the top of the bottle and began to drink while Caleb took a seat

on the weight bench in front of him.

“I have information that I thought you may have been interested in.”

“Really? How kind of you.”

“You’ve heard of Barringer Inc, correct?”

“A little.”

“Ever since the Chimera incident they’ve been slowly expanding their market. They’ve been receiving more weapon contracts with the Alliance, almost to the point of rivaling Genesis Global.”

“Sorry, but I’m not one for political bullshit.”

“Well, that’s not entirely true. If you weren’t then I’m sure you would have spilt the truth about the Chimera by now. You know the truth, at least in the relation to the blame being thrown on the EAP. Keeping your mouth shut and acting like some hero is the very definition of political bullshit.”

“What’s your point, Caleb?”

“Straight to it then. Barringer has recently been absorbed by another high end defense firm, Revelations.”

“Revelations? Really? That sounds like a slap in the face to Genesis.”

“I believe it was intentional. A sort of statement for the world to see, they want to challenge Genesis Global on the big stage. The problem though,

lies with its current CEO, Vincent Avidus.”

“And? Why tell me? I’m just a soldier.”

“Haven’t you wondered where the remains from both the original Chimera and its improved version ended up?”

“You’re saying that this Revelations has them?”

“It’s merely speculation at this point, but rumor has it that Avidus is working on his own project, and is using the remains of the Chimera as a

template.”

Adam wanted to reply, but he held back instead. He was shocked; the thought of another Chimera was frightening, especially if they improved on

it. The water bottle fell to the wooden floor and rolled away from Adam’s body. He was angry; his tightening fists were proof enough.

“So, now what?”

“That’s up to you, Novus. I know you’ve been spending a lot of your time looking into Genesis. I know how difficult it’s been for you to move on with your life over the passed two years. I know you’re still looking for truth in this matter. I think looking into Revelations and Vincent Avidus may prove to be more fruitful than the methods you’ve been using.”

“What makes you say that? He just seems to be another businessman taking advantage of an opportunity.”

“That may be true, but how was he able to get access to that wreckage before the Alliance or even Genesis? Either way, I don’t care; I have no personal ties to the Chimera. I figured you might be able to use this information to help you ease your pain.”

“Ease my pain? You still have no idea what you’re talking about. I let people I cared about die and just today, I watched as I killed someone else.”

“I told you before, I know more than you think. And don’t start crying over enemies who would never shed a tear over you. It’s time to grow up completely, Novus.”

“Stop preaching already, it’s getting old,” Adam remarked as he tried to lift himself from the ground. His legs were quivering from the physical

exertion he put them through earlier and weren’t responding to his liking. Caleb sighed as he extended his hand forward.

“Come on, you look pathetic.”

“Ha. Ha.” Adam begrudgingly accepted the hand and with Caleb’s help stood back up. Caleb laughed and patted him on the back before picking up his bag to leave.

“Thanks, by the way.”

“Don’t mention it. But don’t focus too hard on it. I just figured it’d be much less beneficial if you kept looking the wrong way.”

“I suppose. Hey, can I ask you something?”

“Go ahead.”

“Do you think that someone can be forgiven for their sins?”

“What a preposterous question. Why care what others think? Just do what ever it is you need to do, for yourself.”

“I…”

“You should go clean up. Everyone’s meeting up at the pavilion. We’re on leave, enjoy it for once.”

Caleb waved as he closed the door behind him, leaving Adam once again stranded in the darkness, alone. Adam glanced back at the banner on the wall above the gym.

Truth, Justice, Faith

“What a load of shit,” Adam mumbled under his breath as he headed towards the door.

Upon entering the pavilion both Adam and Caleb were quickly grabbed hold of. Mario Liberalis had clearly had a few drinks by this point as he was forcefully pulling both of them towards the gaming center. Adam cringed a little from the strain on his arms due to his workout while Caleb quietly endured. The gaming center was lit up with VR setups highly reminiscent to the ones in Genesis Global, seeing them only reminded Adam of how things seemingly started. It wasn’t particularly his ideal situation for a break, but his friends appeared to be enjoying it. Heather seemed to be cleaning house, with a long line of eager Ensigns looking to get a chance at playing against the revered sniper.

“She looks like she’s having fun,” Adam chuckled.

“Her? She’s been on a winning streak for the past hour now. I think she’s enjoying the attention,” Mario cackled.

“Look, I’m kind of hungry, you guys have fun. I’m going to the bar to get something to eat,” Adam insisted.

“Hold up, hold up. Get one game in. Heather’s getting a bit full of herself.”

“If that’s the case then you fight her. I’m starving.”

“About that…”

“She already kicked your ass, huh?” Caleb scoffed.

“If you haven’t noticed, I’ve been putting back a few. Hardly the proper state of mind to be piloting, even if it’s a game.”

“Will it shut you up?”

“Yes. Besides, we’re waiting for the girls to get here, then we’re all going to get some food.”

“Girls?”

“Yeah, Catherine and Sarah, remember them?” Mario exclaimed.

“Oh, you mean the two you struck out with. Well, tell them to hurry up. This won’t take long,” Adam smirked as he removed his Alliance jacket, passing it off to Mario. The Ensigns all began to whisper amongst themselves as Adam approached the opposing cockpit across from the holographic display module. The younger soldier already in the cockpit quietly removed himself upon seeing Adam’s arrival.

“You’re…oh man, you’re a legend. I can’t believe I’m meeting you!” The soldier gleefully exclaimed.

“I’m not a legend, think you have me confused with someone else.”

“I’m Reine, Reine Proprius. I just transferred here from the thirty-second. I’ve been a big fan since New York. Your feats there are what inspired me to join the Alliance.”

Adam glanced back at the soldier; it wasn’t surprising to see how young he was. Mid teens, his hair was of a midnight blue tint and his eyes were still in awe over whom he was speaking with. It was a feeling Adam had yet become accustomed to, he never felt like a hero or worth any of the praise sent his way. His emotions were confused with what exactly to feel, his actions inspired this young soldier to take up arms, actions that were layered in lies and deception.

“How old were you when you joined?”

“Sixteen sir, I just became old enough to join three months ago!”

“That’s…well, it’s not like I can say anything. I was sixteen when I joined as well. Do yourself a favor and stay out of trouble. Do what you can to enjoy your youth.”

“Excuse me for saying this, but, that’s an odd thing for you to say, you’re only two years older than me. You’re still quite young yourself.”

Adam couldn’t remember the last time he actually felt his age. After everything that happened, he felt his was rushing through his life, being forced to grow up, missing the natural joys that go with being a teenager. It was a sacrifice he was willing to make, but not one he would suggest on others.

“Trust me, enjoy it while you can,” Adam replied as he closed the cockpit hatch. Reine stepped back as the display module lit up just as the match was going to begin. He felt a hand place itself on his shoulder to see Mario Liberalis standing besides him.

“You should listen to what he said. It’s easy to quickly become swept up in all the crap that comes with being a soldier. Stick to being a dog and never question the orders given to you. That’s the only way you’ll make it out somewhat sane,” Mario muttered.

“Did something happen to him?”

“That’s the understatement of the century, kid.”

“I thought we were going to get some food? Why am I not surprised to see you in the gaming area of all places? Let me guess, he’s playing?” Catherine Henning, the Lieutenant for General Nicole Mest’s unit bellowed as she impatiently walked through the gaming crowd. Every Ensign turned their attention towards her, her hair was cut shorter than its usual style but it was still the same pinkish hue that everyone had come to know from her. She was still a looker; the soft features of her face and voluptuous stature hid the personality of an impatient and blunt demeanor. Mario scoffed at her comments and turned around only to be slapped across the face by Catherine’s sister, Sarah.

“Oww, and just what was that for?” Mario cried while rubbing the reddish color of his cheek.

“Felt like it,” Sarah replied.

“This shouldn’t take long,” Mario rebutted.

“Good, because we’ve been given a sortie and tonight’s our last night in Evo,” Catherine brought up.

Mario pined from the news and quickly positioned himself in between the two sisters. His arms wrapped around both of their bodies, bringing them close. His expression told the story to which Sarah and Catherine pushed away from him.

“I know that look and no. We’re going to get a table, tell him to hurry it up,” Sarah replied angrily.

“Whoa, alright then, don’t have to be so forward,” Mario joked.

Stephen approached the edge of the gaming room when Sarah and Catherine grabbed onto his arm to turn him in the other direction. He lowered his head upon noticing Mario gathering a crowd around the VR center.

“Your brother is playing that game, so we’re going on ahead to get food,” Catherine noted.

“Let him vent. We have things to discuss in the mean time. Come on,” Stephen calmly stated.

“Oh, something came up?”

“You can say that.”

“What about your brother and the rest of them?” Sarah interjected.

“It doesn’t concern them. This is about your upcoming sortie in Ferocia.”

“What about it? It’s a straight forward recon mission,” Catherine replied.

“I know. There’s something I want you to look into for me.”

Stephen glanced over his shoulder as his brother slowly exited the cockpit. The two locked eyes for a moment. Stephen exhaled and began to walk with Catherine and Sarah out of the lounge. He felt like he was about to do the same thing he did to Adam years ago, keeping him in the dark.