Berserk

Nomrah

Within the past year one thing that sucked up a majority of my attention has been Berserk. It started with me watching the anime to diving into the manga. Now I'm currently waiting on chapter 334 of the manga to be released, that's 23 years worth of material so far. Berserk has easily risen to a top spot in my list of fiction.

The anime blew me way past any of my expectations, I had no idea what I was getting into, and for some reason I had never heard much about it before hand. The last few episodes left me speechless as to how good a tale could get, I was left to reevaluate my idea of effective and powerful storytelling. The ending was open ended as it only covered volumes 4-13 of the manga, so I began to start reading at the source, of course much more in depth and detailed. This is the first time I have ever read any sort of comic or manga, but I am finding the experience extremely satisfying.

Anyone else here experience or want to discuss Miura's fine work?

Fuck Falconia!

Never heard of it? Really? That's funny cuz I want to say that Keanu and I are both big fans of it and have discussed it in a few threads (manga one in particular).

Only thing about it now is that we hardly talk about it...cuz well we already talked about it and it releases so slowly that there's just not much to discuss nowadays hahaha

Anyways yes, I adore the manga.

There should at least be a few other ppl who like it here

Never heard of it? Really? That's funny cuz I want to say that Keanu and I are both big fans of it and have discussed it in a few threads (manga one in particular).

I haven't read Beserk. I have read through a portion of it and forgotten to return to it, but I definitely don't remember/know what goes on in the story. I also know that I've mixed up Berserk with another manga at one time or another because I was planning on tearing through it, but ended up transitioning into the other one (which I don't remember).

I have seen enough to say that it's like, ridiculously well drawn though.

I need get back on that horse, but I'm always concerned about keeping track/having too many ongoing manga on my to read list.

Yeah the art is the big thing for sure. There's some wild imagery, and dood's attention to detail and nuance is absurd. Love it.

The execution of the plot is actually pretty weak in the beginning, even though the ideas were always good (if inconsistent). He gets a super-strong handle on that though. There's a few arcs I do find boring, like lost children arc, but yeah it's great stuff.

Only thing about it now is that we hardly talk about it...cuz well we already talked about it and it releases so slowly that there's just not much to discuss nowadays hahaha

I'm really going to miss the times where it felt like I had seemingly endless material ahead of me, I could sit and absorb the story at my desired pace.

When I first started reading the manga I was shocked when I discovered that it had not yet been concluded. The story has way past extended any point where I thought it would wrap up, now it's more open than ever.

Last I heard it's been 18 weeks since he's released the last chapter, I'm not used to this.

As far as the art, incredible detail, I can't get enough of his panoramic battlefield scenes. One thing I found very interesting was the gradual progression in artistic style and detail throughout the story. After reading up to the point it's at now, it's quite surprising to look at just how much the look has changed over earlier portions of the manga, 20 plus years will do that though.

Something I'm most looking forward towards is a look into the back story of Skull Knight and Void or King Gaiseric and the wise man briefly mentioned in regards to Midlands distant past. I've had a build up of theories on many things but Miura is a master at always throwing in a twist at just the right moment.

Yeah, I feel like the thing he got the best grasp on with regards to the art is his motion. For example, in the early issues he used Guts' cape to really help you understand the action, but as he gets further in his gestures and scene layouts are just so genius that he practically doesn't need any of the old methods for showing motion, and that skill extends to like everything. Even shit noone thinks about, like the ocean.

• 2 years later...
Man, I made this thread back in 2013 and there have only been 5 chapters released since then, ridiculous. I was gonna say 4 chapters but I just looked now and I see chapter 338 is out so I'm feeling pretty good at the moment!