Man of Steel

Ataraxis

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed Superman, but it suffered the same malady that has afflicted every film adaptation of DC Comics. Things are too real in the DC Universe. The superheroes aren't just blandly 'super', as they tend to be in Marvel's pantheon. They're fraught with emotion, burdened by unseen forces and overflowing with a pathos that translates wonderfully to printed serials, but falls flat on the big screen. This is the exact reason that Smallville succeeded on the small screen.

The reason Marvel works so well is because they embrace the absurdity of it all. There are no standouts - everyone is Tony Stark in the Marvel film-verse. A witty one-liner or Whedonesque zinger doesn't translate as well to the pained struggles of Superman or the pious brooding of Batman. A winning cast of mostly one-dimensional characters (notice how little we are shown of Hulk in The Avengers - we never needed Ed Norton or Eric Bana's origin stories) prancing around while things explode all around them is a recipe for success that can't be replicated with the hard, adult themes of the DC Universe. The solo films are simply a means to an end - Thor's films are so hilariously unnecessary that they can only be considered gratuitous fanservice, and Iron Man's films (with Favreau at the helm) hold their own, but by the third end up depending on the core Avengers arc to stay relevant. Marvel wins at the box office because we don't need to know anything about the characters to enjoy the show.

What we saw in Man of Steel was a fleeting attempt to Marvel-ize Superman. Wanton, gratuitous destruction, Clark exercising the full breadth of his superpower arsenal, overzealous and outrageous CGI visuals - this is the same formula that has brought home the big bucks for Marvel year after year, and it stands to reason that there would be an attempt to bring the DC Universe to the same level. But it doesn't work that way for DC. The film is riddled with flashbacks and memories, trying to show us the why of it all. You can't tell the story of Clark Kent in a single movie. A trilogy is the closest thing we've ever gotten to a marketable film franchise. A television show is the best we've ever done.

Superman: the legend is too revered to be done wrong, and too complex to do right.

(edit: after re-reading this, it totally sounds like I'm shitting all over Superman while giving Marvel a double handy. Not so. I'll at least say what I liked about the film -

<p>The best origin story I've seen on film, to date. Costner's Pa Kent aside (a multitude of reasons to hate this character, seriously) they explored Superman's journey in a way that fully drives home the concept and ideology that we know and love about the character. LS and I have the same favorite scene - Zod's dialogue about purpose made me completely re-evaluate everything I had watched up to that point.</p><p><br></p><p>Snapping Zod's neck seems to have been a very controversial thing, but it definitely cemented Superman's ethos towards killing. A truly defining moment for a very well-made origin story.</p>

Edited by ThongCannon