NIN is back

Nomrah

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Goddammit. One of my greatest pet peeves, cheap and embarrassing computer graphics, that cloud of smoke in the room was sensory overload for me. If your going to do something like this for a video, keep it real. Also, don't show a curious photo with computer effects more than once for more than 20 seconds.

Although the face at 3:13 was pretty fucked up though, I liked that.

This whole release of new content is rather disappointing so far.

• 1 month later...
I haven't yet no. I did hear some new material about a week ago that was released that sort of turned me off, that "Copy of A" song. It is nin so it wouldn't hurt to snag a copy regardless. I'd definitely be into hearing your thoughts on it if you end up grabbing it.

I got a copy haven't listend to it yet, I might even do a live first listen review in the thread, john knows i love to do those and they can get pretty funny

i'm reviewing at least an album a week on facebook to that guy hahahah

Oh I heard copy of a and thought it was great except that it goes on for way too fucking long

Song off the album that I can really dig. I love the whole constant flow of the beat and waves of background synth, as well as catchy melody and a strong ending that easily rides out the vibe and momentum that was built during the course of the song.

Still think you might do that review PD? John told me about your reviews a little bit, would be great fun for sure.

Song off the album that I can really dig. I love the whole constant flow of the beat and waves of background synth, as well as catchy melody and a strong ending that easily rides out the vibe and momentum that was built during the course of the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJQs-ShfsMc

Still think you might do that review PD? John told me about your reviews a little bit, would be great fun for sure.

Yes and no

I already sorta listened to the whole thing once in the car so it won't be a TRUE first listen review but

There's a 100% chance of the review happening (on saturday most likely) and I'll be treating it as a first listen review anyways, mainly that I stream of concious post the whole time

Truth is I want to do it sooner (I'd be doing it right now) if I had a fucking drive but I don't :( so I gotta go buy an external cd drive for my laptop, or at least burn it onto someone else's pc then take it off of their itunes

I'll avoid saying anything about my listen in the car today tho

Instead I'll say that Ready To Die's ending like 1/4th was way worse than I remember

Maybe it's cuz it's remaster cuz honestly I don't remember it being 19 songs long?

• Mike

aite im bout to start this fuckin review of nin album

just got home

listened to a ton of g.o.o.d. music and tde shit

at my parents house

while watching the US get humiliated

by my country

intro is sik I fks with it 2nd track is rad its a lot like

uuhhh The Slip

style music

wait are u guys even nin fans

I'm not totally following these lyrics yet

but I like them

also I like the bridges

yeah this song woulda been a worthy Slip song for sure "Copy Of A"

looking sharp so far guys!

honestly Copy Of A sounded way worse in the car this makes me feel good right now

I know trent was saying this shit was practically made for audiophile equipment and my headphones aren't quite that but they're really good ones so that might be why this is sounding better so far

motherfucker said uhhh Deluxe version has a DLable audiophile version of the album, pretentious fuck

man wtf this shitty single actually sounds pretty dope now

fucking headphones fuck you trent

yo this shit fkn rocks on headphones

at least the good ones I'm sujre I listened to came back haunted on earbuds off soundcloud and usually sc is real good for that

well w/e

sure*

find my way starts like uhhhh fk there's a slower song on year zero in the later half of it, sounds like that so far but shittier cuz the idea in yz was doper for the tempo
  • John

so you're saying so far you def recommend picking this up
  • Michael

the first 3 songs ya

by first 3 i mean intro and 2 songs intro is a min

its only dope if ur listening on good headphones so far tho cuz in car i'll come clean came back haunted sounded terrible

and utoob video of it sounded bad no surprise tho...its utoob
  • John

well i have these dope new headphones
  • Michael

ill send u album then

oh

wait, no i cant send it cuz its not on this laptop

sorry

this song is okay "find my way" honestly it sounds too much like he wants to be vespertine bjork tho

and the lyrics sound stupid but the music is nice enough that i can ignore them most of the time, thanks heavens that whtppl music trends that way

this song needs to end tho

this shit could get at least a minute trimmed

these songs are running long which im not totally okay with but it hasn't bugged me on headphones til now with this song

in the car it bothered me from the drop

man what is this bullshit

aite here we go

funky guitar

and its moving up and down in weird directions note wise fk standard musical structure huh trent

omfg i jut looked at time for this track

its gonna be another 6 min song

fucking trent u piece of shit

this song tho at least its trying to do shit he did on fragile...just not as good cuz he's using all the sensibilities he developed post-teeth

omfg final fantasy tinkles

yo I like ff as much as the next guy but cmon

and there's still 1:30 left

those tinkles took me out of the song im kinda mad cuz this song i was feeling

no

i'm very mad

that song coulda been dope without this nonsense, please stop reminding me that u aren't tds/fragile nin its just making me angry

i will say tho as a general knock the lyrics have been consistently ignorable to bad throughout aside from that first track i wanna say? Copy Of A

This song isn't good by any stretch

but its not bad

"disappointed"

it'd be good for listening to at work or while doing something, altho that goes for the whole album so far tbh

"blase" would have been an appropriate name tho!

its another song that wishes it was a fragile track

let it go trentyboy ur not that guy anymore

WE DONT BELIEVE YOU YOU NEED MORE PEOPLE

aye wtf how is this song still going

jesus christ

it ended on a sound reminiscent of that jungle sounding track on ghosts

but like...I didnt want to hear it I wanted it to end.

lol

omg wtf is this

this is a terrible terrible start

"everything"

it, shit, I'm trying to think of what it sounds like

but I'll put it this way since I cant think of anything, it reminds me of early-mid 00's rock

so i guess silversun pickups n shit

but worste

worse*

it even has like same chord progressions on guitars and same breakdowns

man this song blows I didn't need to rehash shitty rock

ur nin so do nin things

this song is only like 330 tho thank god he musta got as bored making it as I did listening to it

shit man satellite sounds like a weaker version of one of the early songs but I can't remember which? Everything is starting to sound the same in my head?

I remember this was around the time I started hitting skip over and over in my car

this song isn't bad tho I guess in the car it was garbage but now its just okay

again tho it sounds like some shit someone else should be doing better

like if prince did this i bet this would sound fucking crazy

lol the 80s style guitar tones and picking at the end of this song sound more dated on it than they do on PHM...which was practically made in the 80s

what a guy

he's doing the wannabe tds/fragile style ending too ugh stop reminding me man fk

"only" 5 min btw, that last track.

so 40 min later we're at track 9 of 14?

was that autotune??

I think I just heard autotune on "various methods of escape" in this first verse

hmm maybe not it might just be a voice filter

i key'd in on it and while it still sounded corny it wasn't as offensive

and another fragile style end FUCK YOU

OH GEE its not the fucking end because trent doesn't END SONGS ANYMORE JOHN

motherfucker thinks he's OG metallica

oh this sounds cool at least

u did a wannabefragile sound that sounds kinda cool

im referring to like idk, last 40 seconds of track 9

and u blow it in the last 5 seconds

w/e

listening to these last few tracks specifically 7 to now, but prolly like 4-5 to now, these sound like ghosts beats but with words now

that would explain why I feel like this would be good background music

this track is fairly boring, and a few of the little tricks he's doing to make it interesting are vaguely insulting

idk why song is bugging me? I cant put my finger on it but something has me getting irritated, i think i just feel kinda pandered too right now and im not liking that

it feels like minute 8 tho

says 3:46 and he keeps saying im running out

someone shoulda told him that in the fucking studio

okay this song started decent

"I Would For You"

is this the one that harmon was fkn with?

anyways its pretty good

altho I couldnt tell u why

I'll say this tho

the beat reminds me of P&P 1.5 which is 500x better than this song

oh and She Lives In My Lap too for some reason, mainly the like opening of that song?

it too is like 500x better than this song

but I digress

those two are phenomenal songs so there's that at least

its not fair to compare

this song is pretty good tho

oh neat it went straigtht into In Two

another fragile trick!

at least this was cool tho

I wonder if I got fragile on vinyl I feel like listening to it now

yo FUCK this chorus

fuck

I thought you're were gonna do some gay shit again but you did goddamnit right when I was feeling this again

thank heavens this is pretty good at least, the muffled out guitar was kind of a great idea

tds/fragile trick

he uhhh

took out everything but guitar and sang a few words over n over

and slowly brings in other noises/sounds

its 11 now

and this song has another 20 seconds

and its showing 2 more tracks

his crescendo wasn't fragile tier

no surprise

man fuck this song sounds like the last fucking 6

"While I'm Still Here" jesus son u named these songs wild appropriate huh?

u def been making the same fucking sound for last 6 hours

u know tho this song, if it was old trent could prolly be really fucking good

the lyrics and delivery just aren't what they used to be

like if we got trent from Still on here this shit would be fire prolly

and this end sucked it was like fake sax of some kind I didnt like that

im notplussed by final track it felt like a way faggier version of the end to tds which is kinda disturbing and rad

alright done

so bscly the song structure every time sums up the album: it started strong but meandered too much, got weak near the end but sometimes he'd find a way to give it one last push before just eating pavement

a lot of songs sound to much alike but a lot of them are okay

no fucking way i'll listen to this without good headphones tho in the car it sounded awful

he's trying to be too cute I think like vespertine with the micro-beats n shit, its funny cuz in tds and fragile he actually was pro at manipulating the atmosphere with all the extra sound but he clearly doesn't have it in him to reproduce tha

t
  • Michael

m left with the feeling he was trying to get back to tds/fragile sound but with his new sound instead and that sorta bugged me but otherwise the album isnt bad (on headhpones)

john i'd wait til i can send u it to listen cuz u might not fuck with this, shit if I wasnt a nin fanboy I prolly wouldnt have bought this either

man tds is so much better than this album tho hahahahahaha fuck

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

woulda been up sooner but my firefox is being stupid

tl;dr it's okay, kinda boring. Its not half the album The Downward Spiral is, but most things aren't. Think about buying if you have spare money cuz it's good background music, otherwise steal/borrow first OR go buy TDS instead cuz TDS is worth it always.

Oh and yeah I didn't edit a thing (aside from the user names) so if its messy, that's just how it happened while I was typing.

Edited by YUNG ADULT CONTEMPORARY

for sure bro

if you want me to elaborate on anything or ask something just go right ahead, now that I got my stream of concious review out I'm down to explain shit I was thinking (assuming I remember after hahahahah)

oh I should add this cuz I guess it might not be obvious but bscly this is the 2nd worst album I've heard from him. With Teeth is prolly still worse.

ya that's kinda what I expect

I think music critics will give the album a pass but I doubt the streets are gonna show it the same love aside from blind fanboys

thing is nin is at that point where putting out a trash album doesn't mean shit anymore Trent is unimpeachable at this point

Dood could put out 5 shitty albums in a row and it prolly wouldn't affect his ticket sales for live shows n shit, or the memories fans have of his work

i know I'd still buy tickets to his live show bad album or not

He's still top 3 live shows I've seen

ya that's kinda what I expect I think music critics will give the album a pass but I doubt the streets are gonna show it the same love aside from blind fanboys thing is nin is at that point where putting out a trash album doesn't mean shit anymore Trent is unimpeachable at this point Dood could put out 5 shitty albums in a row and it prolly wouldn't affect his ticket sales for live shows n shit, or the memories fans have of his work i know I'd still buy tickets to his live show bad album or not He's still top 3 live shows I've seen

It is true. Trent is pretty solidified at this point.

---

Just got done really listening to the whole album. And with your review, the things you said rang true with me. A good supply of readily forgettable tracks, stuff I'd never really feel like going back to. Ghost tracks with words was what you said and that's how I'm feeling, I'm sure he approached a degree of minimalism on purpose but it really left me feeling unfulfilled. Background music for the most part. It's no surprise "Came Back Haunted" was chosen as the first single, I thought that one was boring, but it's pretty much the most lively "single-like" track he could come up with from the batch.

I thought a few approaches on vocals were amusing on this one, he tried some upbeat clean vocals that are sort of not common, but he stayed pretty quiet for the most part. Definitely some of the most upbeat/neutral tunes on this album. The track "Everything" haha, his vocals in that were amusing.

What is really bothering me though is his approach on song structure that he's been using for the last few albums, his albums used to mesh together for the most part and had strong dynamics that kept things moving along. Now its just, song starts with simple synth beat, words start coming in, changes into some chorus, things build up a bit, then song ends, then wait as next song rolls in and once again simple synth beat. Things kind of sit dead in the water on this one with its overall simplistic and quiet tone.

But, there were occasional standout moments that got me listening. But right now I feel they were few and far between. A new track that I think was pretty good was "Various Methods of Escape", "All Time Low" was almost pretty good, "Fragile-esque", but spaced out way too much with them ff tinkles, oh well. A lot of the songs were just too long, and didn't do enough to support their length.

"I Would For You" is still my favorite track off the album.

That ending track demonstrated that he can still make some really cool sounding stuff though.

Anyways I'm sort of tired of these predominantly computer generated nin albums. Everything's been following the same routine for like the last 3 or 4 albums, things just seem constrained in structure, less natural/organic and lacks the degree of dynamics I used to hear. Personally I think incorporating his gang of studio musicians to a greater extent would be a really good idea. One things for sure though, Trent really has mastered making music by himself on a laptop, he does do amazing things.

I do find it to be an alright album, definitely the album I've shown the most interest in for a good while, I don't get wrapped up in too many albums these days honestly. So I do appreciate this one, it is good ear candy for me.

Anyways I'll drop this track. One that I mentioned that I have an appreciation for, was listening to it a good deal while writing this, it is a bit slow but has some strong movement. The whole thing flows nicely and builds up well, a standout track for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om0lCG1RjHQ

Edited by Nomrah

Yeah nomrah that all sounds a lot like what I was thinking.

The only album that's truly pissed me off is the new David Bowie album, cuz that album is fucking awful. Might be the worst thing I've heard in like 2-3 years.

It's probably driven by the label a bit too.

He is the label. He went independent after making With Teeth. Ghosts is the first album he made on his own label.

To be honest he is doing fine as an artist. He's still winning grammies all the time because he's become a go-to guy for creating movie soundtracks, and his new band has been doing good, as well. There probably isn't anything or anyone on the planet that could force him into making a new album. At most he's paper chasing cuz he figures why not, but knowing how that guy works he probably wanted to do it cuz he got the itch to make a NIN album. Listening to it I never got the sense that he had sold out, only that he simply isn't in the same headspace he was. I can't really blame the guy for changing when it was natural.

That's part of why I was sorta lenient on my review in the end. I think it was an honest effort by the guy, he's just the same guy anymore. Stuff like that happens to everyone, really. We don't stay hungry forever hahaha.