Riddick

Ataraxis

This originally popped up under the name Dead Man Stalking. It's looking way more like Pitch Black 2 than anything, but I'm okay with that. September 6th. I'm a pretty huge fan, to say I'm excited might be an understatement. Everything I've seen has put a smile on my face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDxDEjDMreA

There's a part in this next clip that's pretty brutal (and great), and I can watch it in my post without signing in for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Dm9zRogpE

I'm looking forward to this movie as well. It's definitely Pitch Black 2. No fancy war going on with a foreign race type deal. This will be Riddick going back to what he does best, avoiding bounty hunters while simultaneously wrecking monster baddies.

I thought it looked more like a remake, but it's been so long since i saw Pitch Black in it's entirety that i can't say for sure. Hopefully it's good, but it's the 3rd movie in a series so i'm not getting my hopes up too high. Was a big fan of Pitch Black, was fairly partial to the second movie, so i really do hope that this ones good. Edited by AvalonFive

It's not a remake. I'll break down Pitch Black/Chronicles a bit, and how they differ from Riddick in the most general sense (some spoilers unavoidable, for anyone that isn't familiar with the series):

In Pitch Black, Riddick has been captured by a mercenary (Johns), and is in transit on a cargo ship to be cashed in on. The cast is primarily civilians. They run into some problems, and eventually Riddick becomes the hero. In Chronicles, he's the man that Imam looks to from the get go when New Mecca needs a hero. In Riddick, he's left nearly everything behind, and finds himself tracked by bounty hunters. He's neither hero nor villain here; just a man with a price on his head who ends up being more than the people who come after him can handle. Shit goes awry and he's of more use to them with weapons in his hands than having them in chains. Vaako (from Chronicles) makes a surprising appearance to further complicate matters.

Pitch Black wasn't as "serious" as Chronicles, and Riddick is leaning heavily towards that kind of attitude. The plot is mostly a vessel for Vin to make bad ass one liners, and generally make lesser beings look foolish by kicking significantly more ass than they do. In that sense, I imagine Pitch Black and Riddick will come across as being very similar. But for those who care, the way the plots are set up is a key difference.

This movie basically exists as a love letter to the people that have supported the series over the years. And also because Vin Diesel enjoys the character.

Edited by Keanushiro

The Necromongers weren't the ruling power. They were a warlike religion on a conversion campaign. There's hints that they're doing so under the guise of fulfilling some sort of prophecy, but honestly, I think they were just following a string of naturally habitable planets because it was the most effective in terms of resources. That's one of the issues with Chronicles; it quickly introduces a very large villainous entity and does little to explain the back story.

Their main philosophy is "You keep what you kill," but Riddick never signed up for that and has no interest in their cause. I imagine his departure from that situation will be addressed, at the very least. Again,

Vaako shows up, and he was the guy whose actual goal was to become Lord Marshal. It may be that Riddick is still technically their leader and that Vaako needs to kill him to earn the position.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OKAY, SO MAYBE WATCH PITCH BLACK FIRST. OR SECOND. WHATEVER.

I would probably go as far to say that this is the movie fans of Pitch Black were expecting when we got Chronicles instead.

This movie basically exists as a love letter to the people that have supported the series over the years. And also because Vin Diesel enjoys the character.

This resounds through the whole movie.

My end opinion is that I enjoyed the movie. It was largely what I expected it to be in terms of cinematography, special effects, and acting - it's a B movie, not a blockbuster. The story had some pleasant surprises, but also left me with a few questions - some of which I am happy to have, others less so. I like everything that's there, but it's some of what isn't that has me...a little confused right now.

Relatively minor spoilers, mostly continuity related:

There's not enough Vaako. Chronicles is tied in to the plot early in the movie, and it kind of felt like they just wanted to get it over with, and once they do, the rest of the movie just moves on. I'm satisfied with how it continues from where Chronicles left off, and it set up the story nicely for Riddick. I just wanted more. Needs another sequel, I guess!

I might end up going to see it again within a week or so, I dunno.