ACU Speedrun Records

Harakiri Tiger

For a speedrun to count it has to have a video recording. For that video recording to count for this topic, it must be a Twitch highlight or a YouTube video and you must be an ACU member with a post count of at least 10. The highlight time, video time, or timer display will be the speedrun time we register in this topic. In the case of a multi-segment run, the total time of your videos will be used to determine your speedrun timing. Make sure you set your highlights correctly if you don't have a timer, it's not hard. Do not use cheats, mods, or hacks, though bugs and glitches are fine. If you're unsure of something, ask me in chat or PM me your question.

Rules

• Must be a registered ACU member with a minimum post count of 10.
  • There must be a video recording of your speedrun.
  • Videos must be Twitch highlights or YouTube videos.
  • No cheats, mods, or hacks.

Single Segment Runs

-------------------------

Armored Core 2 NA by Niji on PS3 - Any% Arena Normal Mode - (53:12) - [Video]

Armored Core 2 NA by TMRaven on PS2 - 100% Normal Mode - (2:57:26) - [Video]

Final Fantasy VI NA by LCC on SNES - Any% - (4:56:03) - [Video]

Mega Man Legends NA by Niji on ePSXe - Any% Easy Mode - (58:52) - [Video]

Mega Man Legends NA by SBUsagi on ePSXe - Any% Normal Mode - (1:05:04) - [Video]

Mega Man X NA by LCC on SNES9x - 100% - (53:48) - [Video]

Mega Man X4 NA XC by Niji on PS3 - 100% X - (1:33:57) - [Video]

Multi-Segment Runs

-------------------------

Mega Man Legends NA by Niji on ePSXe - 100% Normal Mode - (12:36:14) - [Part 1] [Part 2] [Part 3]

I do speedrun MML, yeah. Me and Chode are practicing it so we can race each other.

The problem is that run I linked to I die at the very end vs Juno cuz I was playing like a dumbass there. Otherwise I woulda made it a highlight and left it as a real speedrun. Time for beating the game in that run would have been right around 1:15:00, which is why I used that number. The segmented one is a generic playthrough though, not a run. It just happened to be in three parts so I thought it would be good filler for a placeholder video. It's like 12 hours long.

Hopefully LCC posts his FF6 speedrun sometime and some others post some speedruns of stuff. Chode will definitely be posting his MML runs soon. This is for ACU people only, so that means you don't have to worry about getting a world record run to be a record holder.

Pen, you should speedrun something too!

EDIT: I'll go ahead and make a highlight of my almost successful speedrun.

I've been giving this some thought, I've never seriously attempted a run but I might give it a shot.

Games I'm considering are...

Castlevania SotN

Shinobi III

Gunstar Heroes

I'll have to choose one to focus on, Shinobi III might be my best bet.

But first I'll have to see about getting myself setup on twitch.

• 2 weeks later...

Without a video there can be no proof that isn't easily modified. Images and such are easily dicked with, so they're generally not a standard that most speedrunners accept. You could also easily abuse some kind of emulator hack, use cheat code devices, use otherwise banned glitches, or straight lie about your time if not Photoshop it. Recorded video makes the entire gameplay of the speedrun more provable.

An easy way to record video of you playing an SNES game is to use an SNES emulator like SNES9x or ZSNES and then just use something like XSplit to record or stream the video to Twitch. I'll probably add the option to use YouTube as a source for the video alongside Twitch highlights soon anyway. Generally a stream is preferred as that is the least falsifiable form of proof. Videos can be spliced on loading screens or while transitioning between areas to make multi-segment runs appear to be single segment, etc. and pictures are pictures.

The other big reason I want videos is because I'm not really that concerned with everyone competing for best record ever as much as just getting people to play a bunch of different games on stream/video and share the fun of the game. If it so happens that some people think they can beat someone else's time then that's great and they might start a little competition. ACU has a whole bunch of streamers now who like to stream games and this just adds a little extra spice to it as well as working as a nice topic to catalog games we beat on stream. Hopefully it eventually fills out and we get a bunch of videos on here for people to watch when they're bored of random games. I'll be doing some Mega Man games soon myself.

And remember, even regular playthroughs can count as speedruns as far as this topic is concerned! Unless someone decides to beat the time it'll be the fastest registered time for that game on ACU, hahaha.

But yeah, if you do want to do Super Metroid I suggest SNES9x emulator and XSplit to either record or stream it. If you join chat you can ask for help on how to set SNES/XSplit/Twitch up and we probably will have someone there who can help.

Yeah, I've really gotta get on top of the MM series myself. I might do an SM run myself, but I doubt I could beat your time since I've never practiced it. I might do a full MML run tonight so I can have a successful run up in the OP instead of a failed one since it seems Usagi will take a while to submit one, www.

What's your fastest time sit around on SM anyway?

Then why in the hell would you bother posting about it in a speedrun topic.

Niji, I'll try to have a run of MML done by next week. Even if it's not the best I can do at this point, it's now my goal to get something up sometime soon. I'll be busy for the next couple days, though.

Idk if anyone will actually do a speedrun of the AC games. It'd be kinda neat I guess, but unlikely to happen. ACO supposedly has some guys who plan on speedrunning ACfA though, so we'll see how that goes.

I too will be doing an MML speedrun this week. I just wanna finish leveling all my FF14 classes to 15 first, which should be done by tonight. I just have to ignore helping everyone on ACU and instead just level. I'll probably do some practice runs tomorrow night and then do a full run the night after. Hopefully it works out and I get a nice sub 1:15 in-game time.

COMPETITION.

Then I'm probably gonna move onto doing MMX and MMX2 runs next week.

I have tried speedrunning AC before; it is incredibly boring. You more or less abort every mission that doesn't game over, then you rely on LW quad blades and rockets with the ocassional weapon arms. Your AC is gimped by the fact that you have to prioritise what parts are actually worth swapping to save time, which makes blading really dangerous in some fights cause no defense.

Peaches did AC1 a while back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv-V13BqwOM