Is Verdict Day worth it?

FreelancerRaiko

I'd say it's worth getting. Only get it new if you can spare the $50, otherwise get it used. I wouldn't say it's dead. You won't always find people on Free Battles and it's very possible to just get matched up in a "Cause Severe Damage" mission, but from what I've played so far I haven't experienced many problems. I'd say the main thing is that since the game requires you to join or create a team to do most things (Shop, Sorties) most people make their own teams which leads to there being a lot of teams with only one person enlisted, which is why I think ACU should have its own team, this game needs stronger teams, not more. Gameplay wise its got a better framerate than ACV, the mission are good, the story is more coherent and some missions are challenging. there is also Hardcore Mode after you beat the story to replay the story with one of I think 10 different modes.

I chose "Mr.Confident" which means everything is normal except you take 70% damage from enemies and you only have 1 life. Get killed and you start all over.

In terms of gameplay and customization, it's miles better than ACV. I'm especially impressed with the UNAC system. Weapon tuning has been fixed, and of course we get more parts/weapons.

Some gripes I've had include massive pixelation of team emblems, and the lame Engrish on the SIGNS logo.

As for online play, eh. I'd heard complaints here and there, along with expectations of it sucking, but I don't see much to complain about.

There don't seem to be many Free Battles at the moment, but if World Mode dies down I'm sure you'll see more people there.

Speaking of which, I was in a room with Exogen just the other day.

Edited by Py687

It fixes alot of problems with ACV and is pretty much a better game all around. However, it's still much different from other AC games, so it's more of a matter of taste.

If you're really worried about online, then I would import the JP PS3 version. That game is absurdly popular over in Japland.

VD is superior to ACV, which I think was leaps and bounds better than AC4 or at least fA. However, if you're someone who has been trudging through the series title after title, you may not get that much of a kick out of it. Story mode in my opinion is standard and forgettable, but again that's just me. I'd say this game lives or dies by its multiplayer aspect, which I think is worthy of having an active and competitive fanbase, but would not be surprised if the game died off or is just too slow to start off with due to people being turned off from previous titles and their performance.

VD is superior to ACV, which I think was leaps and bounds better than AC4 or at least fA. However, if you're someone who has been trudging through the series title after title, you may not get that much of a kick out of it. Story mode in my opinion is standard and forgettable, but again that's just me. I'd say this game lives or dies by its multiplayer aspect, which I think is worthy of having an active and competitive fanbase, but would not be surprised if the game died off or is just too slow to start off with due to people being turned off from previous titles and their performance.

Woah Woah Woah. I will not agree with that it's better than FA. FA was probably the best of the series so far. Customization and diversity were amazing, and the amount of technicals involved was great. The new ones suffer from that, with hardly any parts and even less categories of parts. Just one booster for everything? lame.

I'm renting it, but it isn't worth buying. I do agree that it doesn't have as much arm unit weapons like the 4th series, but with the 4th series, I had a similar feeling compared to the PS2 games on arm units. I think the problem with Armored Core games is that the company keeps reintroducting more of same weapons barely adding new ones, which hardly does anything to the series. This is why I believe that the PS2 games were the last to me. Unfortuante to have my taste, because I can't appreciate most of the plain weapons anyway. They were always too safe. I suggest that they go outside their comfort zone in imagination, should they have later games. I don't see what is stopping them from adding futuristic weapons that are already out there, like a flak cannon, acid gun, ripjack, shock rifle, or something. Edited by Lygophilia

^Hmm. Better than being a dick I guess.

Anyways, yeah I wish they would just get back to the high-octane combat already. I really miss that about Armored Core. The size and scope of it now and kick jumping off walls is real nice, along with the teams and what not. But I seriously want my high tech, high speed mechs back.

4 and FA were weird experiments in the AC series. They did so much right (Arms forts, 30 FPS and higher for the most part, good part variety) but they also screwed up a few things (the online lag, the insanely unnecessary speed boosts which made the mechs too fast and turned them into kawaii uguu magical gundams).

ACV and VD fixed some of these things, and yet brought some more problems in. I love all the games either way, but FROM really loves to experiment, and they don't always produce gold.

What they shoulda did is brought back the EO cores from back in the day;

ACVD is the tissues to the endless boxes wasted once ACV segregated servers

First: Auto-Attack Guns are technically Exceed Orbits. Plus you got the drop turrets from some weapons that you can dump around the map.

Second: ACV servers were segregated from the get go yo. Look if you bought ACV and/or you got a group to hang out with, play it. If you don't have either then just don't because I doubt going Solo all the way through is going to help unless you are committed to making some badass UNACs and/or signing up for Mercenary missions.