Hyper Light Drifter

Ataraxis

Trailer:

http://youtu.be/GmMosNHhyxI

Combat demo (pre-alpha according to video description):

http://youtu.be/wu9w5P_7apA

This was a Kickstarter thingy. It's already funded, but here's the page if you want (it's got lots of good info on the game):

https://www.kickstar...r-light-drifter

The short version is the guy describes it as a 2D action RPG that "plays like the best parts of A Link to the Past and Diablo."

For me, I love the look of it. Not necessarily the pixelated style (though that does look pretty good here), but the use of colours and the overall atmosphere created by the settings and stuff. Character and enemy designs look good too. The music sounds really nice. Gameplay looks really fluid. I like the story set up.

Aiming for release later this year on PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, and OUYA.

• 6 months later...

So, I guess that the pre-release/early access version came out recently, as there's a good bit of gameplay footage surfacing. The one I'm linking is the first of five (plus a combat video) from the same user. Part of me wants to suggest muting it because I'm not a fan of the commentary, but at the same time, losing out on the games audio sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yttUUvydB-k

The more I see of the game, the more impressed I am by most aspects. It's the little things, too, like the enemies being able to hit each other and break (or die to) the environment, the clever way certain guns work, and the way the screen dims when you lose health, or how you bleed when you get too close to dying. In some cases (after getting a bonus from comboing or something), the drifter straight up decapitates dudes.

It's nice to see that it's actually progressing, too, especially with how some Kickstarter funded projects have ended lately.

I should add that I definitely recommend watching it in HD.

i;ll still watch these videos at some point tho but fuck the commentary if it bugs u its almost for sure gonna be infuriating to me

The guy isn't nearly as bad as a lot of players on YT, but definitely gets off to a rough start and doesn't add much of anything by talking. All I really meant by it is that it'd just be better if he wasn't tbh. I was gonna link to a different one since it had more packed into one video, but I found that person even worse.

This will fit perfect for my "I only play garbage indie games" response when people ask what games I play.

In all seriousness I like the way this looks, not sure how I overlooked this topic before now.

Yeah huh? If most indie games looked like what this is shaping up to be, I don't think the scene would be such a joke. I mean, I see some areas that could be problematic, but it mostly looks legit. Cautious optimism.

Yeah. This isn't like a full version type early access thing, either. They're calling it a "preview build," and it only has the one area (mentioning that has me wondering what the full size of the game will actually be like).

In a way they are charging extra for beta access, I guess (but they do get the full game when it comes out). They padded it by treating it like a special edition, where they include art and whatever that you don't get otherwise. The Kickstarter version of that also included some weapon skins and a mention in the credits. At the same time, they also had the opportunity to pay less for the game alone.

None of this is out of the ordinary from what I've seen on other Kickstarters or in some other cases.

Edited by facebataraxis

i dont like the current beta culture atm where they release a fully functional game as a beta and then release the complete version 2 years later with superfluous features added

real men betas dont let you get past early game and last a month at tops for the purpose of infrastructure and mechanics feedback

Idk if this is one of those betas. They're still taking feedback, and that's just one area, possibly a preview specific build of it.

I do think they released it when they did because it's not as far along as it should be, though. The game was originally supposed to be out around now.

Nah man I ain't gonna say fuck anybody in this case I mean the game looks good so right on to the devs but it's also not finished so right on to the doubters.

You keep thinking futuristic Raidou 'cuz they carry similar stances with the sword and gun, and some of their clothing (mostly the cape) lines up.

• 10 months later...