RIP H.R. Giger

Shirtless Crackhead

No. This will probably take a while to sink in.

H.R. Giger is one of my all time leading figures, probably played the largest role in how I view and pursue visual creation. He has influenced so much. I can't think of anyone I actively look up to more in the world of art.

Edited by Nomrah

Alien is best creature design of all creature designs and led the way to more creature designs, and yet is still the best! Alien would have probably been a joke without his contributions. Edited by Nomrah

yeah it was the least dependent on putting alien in your face, it was strong in its ways. Probably one of my favorite parts didn't even include the alien, when Ripley had the run in with Ash after asking Mother the questions. Still though if the Alien was mediocre, it probably wouldn't have that lasting touch, at least not as much.

word I'm just saying calling that movie a joke without his alien's design might be a stretch

that film was legitimately one of the best american films ever made hahahaha

Nah I completely agree with you, tbh I'm not pleased with my earlier comment and I really have no interest in discrediting Ridley Scott's work and one of my all-time favorite films! What I should have said was if the Alien and set design was no good it could have had a negative impact on the movie overall. All that perfectly paced suspense possibly could have backfired at several of the films key moments and as a result ruin the entire experience, Giger's work had the complete opposite effect and as a result helped solidify it's status as film royalty. Sub-par movie monsters and sets aren't all that uncommon, especially when it comes to something that's supposed to be fear inducing, but Ridley Scott happened to find the absolute perfect man for the job. Scott couldn't have set the stage any better for Giger to show the world his stuff on a more mainstream scale. Anyways I do know that Giger was not exactly happy with being known as the "alien guy" all the time so I'll stop haha.

Also I do happen to have a couple of Gigers artbooks with his personal commentary which provide a good look into his world and several of his works, as well as stories about his life growing up. I find it sad to think of the world with his mind no longer among us, but he certainly left a lasting impact that will continue to live on. It's interesting how old most of his works actually are and yet how well they've withstood the test of time, something that's not easily achieved in the world of horror and science fiction art.

Edited by Nomrah

Let's not forget how much of a pimp/playboy he was back in his hay-day.

http://alienage11.com/images/stories/h0.gif

Fo'shizzle thou, he is undoubtedly fathered one of the most iconic science fiction species/franchises/movies of all time. He was also a total badass.

He was also massively inspirational and influential in pop art, music, culture, etc.. and in a positive way.

Let's not forget how much of a pimp/playboy he was back in his hay-day.

Oh no doubt, he was always with very attractive women. Only the best, he had it figured out.

Also prices on his works should be skyrocketing by now.

Edited by Nomrah