AC3 Revisited - Like a Decade Later...

Desert Fox

Yeah it can become a pretty defensive game, but that's more about the people playing it than the game itself. If you look at the weapons and stuff in Last Raven, a lot of the better ones excel in close range. Even at a purely metagame'd out type of play you can still do very well in close.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tru dat, I think the short-lived life span of NB versus LR's long running tenure as the PS2 era meta, probably makes NB feel more enjoyable to me, seeing as LR got played out a lot more.

My favorite thing to run in NB is the Cetus weapon arms, they were so strong.

Yeah it can become a pretty defensive game, but that's more about the people playing it than the game itself.

Exactly. AC3 and SL would have looked very similar if they were played now. They already did when the Japanese played. I made this same point earlier in this thread.

I really think my preference comes from three things, #1 LR got played more and therefore feels more tiered, #2 NB tournaments were baller as fuck, #3 CETUS bots in NB were baller as fuck.

I mean it's not like I think LR is bad, I put it literally right being NB, of course I put them both behind 3/SL in terms of overall fun.

I like what I like man, no big deal.

TM's LR chart is law thou, like fucking he should get fucking stone tablets made and a golden chest to carry them around in, I wonder of Apple makes chests.

• 2 months later...

Really interesting seeing NB and LR comparisons.

I'm personally aligned closer to Bishop's camp in terms of preferring LR over NB, but NB did have a "fun" factor that was oddly reminiscent of AC2 for me. Even madness like running underweighted FA was pretty funny, as opposed to the volatile reactions people had to TP/PEG backpedaling, etc. Part of me wonders is this all because LR had such a brief tournament life here in the states? It just feels like NB got more exposure, and players had more time to get into it's groove. On top of that, I've never met anyone that got hardcore into the PSP LR re-release either...that seemed to grant the title some extra life, especially in the JP scene.

Edited by Zealous

Well that's like your opinion man.

My personal rankings go like this.

#1. 3/SL (obviously you can't Kai, there's client/server lag, but it was baller good fun).

#2. NX/NB/LR (each has elements that are great, and elements that are dumb).

#3. 2/AA (RAVEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!)

#4. 1-MoA (clunky but hilarious, laserblades everywhere)

I group them up, because that's honestly how I look at them. I'm not saying NB > LR/NB < LR as a game, but I will say NB had a pretty fun meta and a neat balance that was pretty close to LR with a bit more accuracy, although not as accurate as NX. I do recognize that NB has the advantage in this comparison to me, because it got played less, and the single-player is Depression Quest bad.

• 7 months later...
AC3 was the first game in the series i ever played. I always love the simplicity of design and the combat. I had a seperate profile set up with designs that used the extension hover boosters, all of them could fly forever with the OP-I. The only bad thing was the AC's felt super heavy in the air.

• 2 weeks later...