Anti-Missile Tactics

i used type b, so ya I didn't use blade+bomb pretty much ever

I use type b also, and have used it since 1998 (or was it 97?), so I'm very familiar with the classic control scheme as many here are. Doing the blade/bomb is similar to doing a special move in a game like Street Fighter or Virtua Fighter (press circle, hold cross, release cross, triangle, triangle, square, combo may vary depending on your weapon load out) and the damage payout is very worth it. Spraying your target with urchin bombs or planting a floating mine in their face right after a blade/wave strike is very satisfying, and makes the low-damage laser blades as deadly as the Moon Light, and makes the Moon Light even more dangerous (ofc). The scatter bombs aren't as reliable, but they are also devastating if you can land them. I'm one of those guys that can do the "raging demon" from Street Fighter at will, so switching to my inside bombs during a blade attack is no big deal. More than fifteen years of classic Armored Core will do that to you...

Also, practicing the blade/bomb is tricky because the game's fast pace doesn't give you a chance to try the combo very often in the first place, so don't feel bad if you can't. The inside parts can give you a nasty edge, but if you can't utilize a weapon like the urchin or the CR-17SFM then save the weight or load up ECM/decoys.

So I guess the point I'm making here is this;

The best anti-missile tactic is to blow up the target AC before it hits you with it's missiles. ;)

Edited by Plus Escapee

i don't think ur trying to be a dick even tho it's coming across that way, so i won't be one either

but what i was bscly saying is that pretty much is no good in pvp (type b+inside parts) and i've explained why in several posts in the previous page

pls read them and you'll understand my position, also pls keep in mind my posts are almost always in reference to pvp because that is my primary experience in these games (AC1-3 era games)

hence, no, i wouldn't be using type b blade+sticky mines combo cuz bscly thats a waste against a real ac in pvp

it might be fun to fool around with (and I like fooling around with silly stuff shout out to titan missile arms) but if i'm trying to give good advice i don't talk about outliers, i talk about what works well in tournaments and what not

u understandably wouldn't have known that cuz ur new to the board and this thread never specified one way or the other so no harm no foul

that being said i'd put my experience in pvp for this game (and most any AC game from 1-3 era) against anyone's in the country, especially for LR, and more to the point i don't play AC anymore, so my position really isn't open for debate. if you disagree then you disagree and thats fine too. we can all still get along

unless ur pendragon

then we cant

lol

nah im playing i dont hate pendragon shout out to u pendragon!

but what i was bscly saying is that pretty much is no good in pvp (type b+inside parts) and i've explained why in several posts in the previous page

I see. I assume you mean that AC's controlled by humans have enough stability to resist stun from blades, and pilot in ways that avoid blades entirely, so in that case my advice is empty. Also, if the thread is about piloting Tank ACs, then the whole idea of using a blade sort of goes out the window. The blade/bomb combo sort of relies on the blade causing a stun (note: rapid blades like the elf or moonlight can do a blade/bomb/blade combo against units with low stability).

Also, I'm not trying to insult anyone when I say you should blade/bomb with an inside weapon. Just saying you might like to try it for fun. I can see how what I said would come across in a shitty way, so sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

So, now that I have pulled my head out of my ass (I was thinking of my pilot style and not the thread topic), I'm interested in doing some missile dodging experiments with an over-boost tank.

On tank legs I have only ever avoided missiles in three ways;

• Well timed over boost.
  • Rising into the air and dropping like a rock at the right time.
  • Missile jammers.

I suppose you can try anti-missile extensions as well, but I don't trust those things myself. The question for me is what sort of Tank AC configuration avoids missiles the best and is dangerous enough to take out multiple AI ACs? That will be the subject of future experiments.

The strongest missiles in LR like rm3 can be avoided via decoys at the last second, while verts can be extremely hard and downright tank killers. One of the best way to dodge a vert in lr is flying up then down to draw it over your head, but since tanks have poor vertical rising, they'll get nailed a lot. Decoys are less effective against verts as well, because the decoy has to be between you and the vert, which means you'll be constantly have to fly up in the air to deploy decoys, or try to fly backwards to get behind your decoy as you see the vert coming.

dodging missiles with tanks is tricky ya

some ppl would argue u can justify decoys on type b but even then i think its not needed cuz like plus alluded to if u just kill the opponents fast enough it wont matter

and most of the maps ur fighting in have lots of cover

iirc for arena battle u can only do multi-opponent in the vs screen so u can pick maps there too, i forget if u can in the story mode arena i think u cant but u also cant do multi AI fighting there not 100% sure tho

weird fact: tanks have the strongest blade attack in the game (all of them from 1-LR)

in pvp anyways with tanks patience goes a long way along with cover/core AMS/ecm optional part and applying pressure with back-mounted cannons

not even hitting persay but keeping them moving and possibly breaking their lock from time to time

i don't think i have any good videos for that tho not fighting missiles in a tank anyhow best I think I got is this one vs rm3:

but this vid is worth watching anyways

there might be some vs verts in the vs AT vids not sure

Edited by YUNG EPSOM SALTS

My tank got thoroughly destroyed by verts in the fantasy duels. The cover-heavy worked against the tank in Born city, as it allowed Yaka to use the verts while staying free from fire.

As you said, one of the best way to counter verts is to just try to out-gun them with your cannons. It worked the first match with the lgl.

Basically you use the favored trajectory of missiles to dodge them.

Most missiles fire more or less straight ahead, and you have to go with the spacial relationship of you and the dood shooting them. If you play PvP AC from the PS2 era, you know about adjusting your movement to try and benefit missile hits. You don't have to move much to cause the game to launch missiles on a different 'base' trajectory. Same applies for dodging them, you say scoot back and to the left if they're coming from the right; then forward and to the right; they'll have no way of turning that tightly and you avoid them. There's a large bit of timing involved, but that's basically how ya do it. Decoys just assist, big time.

Vertical missiles are like TM said, you basically go up, and I think generally towards the enemy. I used to have the timing down and then would zip back if I was high up so they would loop around me and never hit, if you're close to the ground you it's more difficult to dodge verts unless you got bonkers vertical movement.

Long have I conquered my visions of a giant baby chick closing Chik-fil-a on Sundays and ravaging the villages of my kin. I stand now steadfast and look the avian villian in it's beady eyes as I ask for original recipe with a side of macaroni missiles.

*kiai shout*

• 8 months later...