Anti-Missile Tactics

GIT GUD

Srsly, you don't really need decoys most of the time, back in my prime you can ask folks who played against me like Cleric and Zealous, I was god-tier at missile dodging. Even without deeks shooting missiles at me was pretty pointless.

All missile launchers have certain trajectories when you're moving one way or another, you just have to get those down and learn to move in a way to throw off their tracking. Once a missile misses on it's first pass, it's got like 2-3% chance of hitting you beyond that. So don't worry about wrap arounds until you got the first part down like a clown.

But if you're worried about deek usage on b-type, just play SL and try deeking GNL shots of bots. I used to do that in PvP and people got super mad with that sort of clowning. But you can switch to insides basically instantly and pop one out, you may have to learn how to pre-emptively deek against some ppl if ur having trouble.

I can't find the vid of it anymore, but there used to be a vid of me in a 2v2 event where I had 2 missile boats basically trying to shrek my heavyweight NB bot Hitlersaurus Rex, and I think like 1-2 missiles hit me before Harlequin killed one of them, and they were dumping.

Try playing against missile heavy bots and just run them out of ammo, SL was great for this sort of thing since you could program your own AI bot and make it pretty tough.

Me and the guys used to dick around and see who could make the worse one. I had one that basically flew sky-high and had a weapon-breaking sniper rifle setup that was pretty gay if you didn't like high-angle tracking, Rob had one that just fuck-rushed you with an MG-800/SRFL/70 nightmare, Lukav has 2 missile boats and a blade only bot, Henchman had some goofy one, and Ben never got his working to his liking.

But it's seriously good practice if you ain't got PvP friends handy, if you got those, just have them build different missile boats with the better missile setups and spam at you, no deeks, in a not too fast bot and just learn to dodge them.

30 covers a pretty good chunk of time, and you only have to worry about it so long as your enemy has missiles.

Most tier-conscious bots in LR are gonna be X+RM3 so you really have to worry about ~8 salvos with extensions, everything after that is less worrisome.

decoys (and pretty much all inside parts) are useless if ur type B tbh

also the only real way i can think of to get good at dodging missiles is to just fight lots of people using missiles, practice makes perfect as they say

owen firing missiles at u is gonna feel a lot diff from me shooting missiles at u, or whoever else, and so on

just gotta put in the reps

im sorry there's no better answer than that but its the reality of the situation

edited cuz it posted twice for some reason

Edited by BISHOP MUSHROOM TIP

I'll agree that shit like Urchin on b-type is dumb, but decoys are totally usable with certain bots, once you learn how to switch to them, pop one, and switch back to your weapon quickly.

But it won't work the same way a-type decoys do, that's totally correct.

sure but why give urself the extra weight, make ur weapon list longer to scroll thru, and lock time which actually matters in LR

if ur using only 1 weapon with decoys its a lot more managable otherwise its just not worth it imo

especially since u don't need them in LR for the most part

even with single weapon bots I wouldn't use them

yeah the more i think about it i pretty much just can't agree with you on this, it's not like SL decoys don't come out as fast or are as effective

It's only gonna matter of slow/heavy bots anyhow.

Anything that can move, doesn't really need em.

On tanks thou, I would just pop 1-2 out every now and again, kinda just as I felt I might need them.

Deeking GNL shots was clowning, get in ppl's heads when going joust tank vs. joust tank in OB chicken games.

It's only gonna matter of slow/heavy bots anyhow.

Anything that can move, doesn't really need em.

On tanks thou, I would just pop 1-2 out every now and again, kinda just as I felt I might need them.

Deeking GNL shots was clowning, get in ppl's heads when going joust tank vs. joust tank in OB chicken games.

I DUNNO MAN WITH TANKS UR WEAPON LIST IS ALWAYS AT LEAST 2 WEAPONS (A BACK CANNON AND A R ARM) DECOYS FUCKS THAT UP

DECOYING LIKE THAT ISN'T ALL THAT EFFECTIVE IN LR IS THE THING, THAT'S THE KIND OF THING THAT WORKS REAL GOOD IN AA AND SL THO

THATS WHY IN LR THERE'S BSCLY 2 KINDS OF TANKS THAT WORK: FAKE QUADS AND 98G TANKS AND BOTH ARE BETTER OFF USING TYPE A CUZ OF DECOYS (THAT DIDN'T STOP ME BUT W/E)

IN LR TANKS HAVE VERY SERIOUS AND REAL LIMITATIONS THATS WHY WE NEVER SAW THEM IN TOURNAMENTS OR COMPETITIVE USE MUCH, MISSILES AND ORBITS IN PARTICULAR

TO ME IT SOUNDS LIKE U MIGHT BE TRYING TO APPLY SL RULES FOR DECOY USE TO LR, BUT THAT DOESN'T REALLY WORK; THE PART WORKS DIFF AND THE MECHANICS OF THE GAME ARE DIFF AS WELL

I mean I don't use deeks in LR, but I also don't run any tanks or anything that would really need em.

Unless the mechanics of b-type decoy use in terms of being able to toggle through weapons and pop one are different, I don't see any issues there.

I don't think it matters too much, dodging them is main thing. Even on tanks and shit, using OB to move out of the way.

I'm just trying to give him some friendly tips if he wants to use them on b-type controls. My main advice is just to learn how to dodge missiles with whatever you use, cuz that's always available and based on your ability to execute.

Also, WHY ARE WE YELLING!

The two biggest missile threats in LR are RM3 and MV. Both of which almost require a different style of decoy management to avoid.

I agree that if your tank has lots of weapons and you're type B, decoys probably aren't the way to go. If your tank sports the usual LGL+cannon of choice and you're on type B, might as well save the weight. If your tank has like a single cannon (which makes no sense cause of LGL) or if it's just a 98G, then maybe decoys might work-- you're only scrolling through 3 weapons instead of 4.

Anyways, decoys only work if they're in between you and the missile, and can work decently well against MV. Just boost up a bit and pop a couple into the air every now and then, and you'll avoid a couple MV, which would amount to at least 1-2k ap damage before your decoys run out. I personally always put decoys on my tanks since I'm type A, but when you'e type B you have to think to yourself that decoys will only help you avoid a couple MV shots before they run out.

RM3 is trickier, I found that best way to avoid those is to pop the decoy at the last second before the RM3 hits you, otherwise it just hits you anyways. TypeA is almost required for that type of anti RM3 tactic using tanks.

On bipeds, rjs or quads, dodging RM3 can still be tough if you're in high pressure situations, but dodging verts is less tough if they're playing passively, because then all you have to do is go up in the air and come back down in a more extreme angle than the verts.

Really it amounts to how much pressure the opponent is going to put on you.

ITS NOT YELLING ATM IM DOING SOMETHING AT WORK THAT REQUIRES ALL CAPS, THATS WHY I SOMETIMES GO INTO ALL CAPS LIKE THIS

JUST THINK OF IT AS VERY LOUD WHISPERING THATS WHAT I DO

YEAH THE MECHANICS ARE DIFFERENT, THERE ARE RELOAD TIMES AND THAT AFFECTS WHEN YOU CAN BRING UP YOUR LOCKBOX WITH ANOTHER WEAPON, ALSO IT MEANS U HAVE SOMETHING ON THE SCROLL THAT WILL NEVER GIVE A LOX BOX OF ANY KIND, ALL OF THIS STUFF IS STUFF YOU HAVE TO CONSIDER IN LR

TYPE A IT WORKS LIKE THE L ARM, IT'S ALWAYS ARMED AND THE RELOAD FOR IT DOES NOT AFFECT ANYTHING, AS WELL AS THE ACTUAL AIMING/USAGE OF IT NOT AFFECTING UR MAIN FCS (FOR BACK AND R ARM)

YEAH THATS WHAT I WAS SAYING EARLIER, IF UR TYPE B (OR TYPE A TBH) THE ONLY REAL WAY TO LEARN HOW TO DEAL WITH MISSILES IS TO PLAY A BUNCH, THERE SIMPLY ISNT AN EASY WAY AROUND IT

DODGING VERTS CAN BE TOUGH FOR PEOPLE IN ANY SITUATION THO OWEN THATS WHY ALMOST EVERYONE USES THEM WHILE PLAYING LIKE A SISSY BITCH HAHAHAHAHA

YEAH GENERALLY TYPE A IS BETTER BUT OTHERWISE YEAH U JUST NEED PRACTICE

GIT GUD AS THEY SAY

THAT CAN'T RLY HAPPEN NOW SINCE AT BEST U HAVE ONLY UR IRL FRIENDS TO PLAY WITH BUT W/E A BOY CAN DREAM

I know in SL and NB the best way to deal with verts is move towards your opponent and get air, they tend to over shoot and try and hook back.

Obviously if you're going at the wrong rate and high enough, you'd fly back into them.

But I had the timing down, so whenever I heard a salvo go off, I would just guess then do that, and worked like a charm, unfortunately that move puts you right in line for most extensions, so you may have to do that w/ a side-side job to dodge RM3 or whatever, iffin that still works and their tracking ain't absurd.

Verts are hard to deal with, especially in tanks with or without decoys. Affecting the lock-on is huge for tanks since they need time to align their shots up for damage.

I think this video does a good job at showing just how bad tanks lose to verts, even if it's a fast tank with 20 decoys.

• 9 months later...

Someone doesn't blade/bomb combo ;)

Try using a blade that does enough damage to stun, then follow up with the Urchin (or your choice of bomb/rocket) inside part for a very rapacious combo. Master that rapid weapon switch.

I always run light bipedal ACs. If missiles hit me at all, it's my own damn fault for failing to pilot myself out of the way. Dodging missiles is fairly easy even when using heavy bipedal. I still need to work on my dodging skills with hover legs, which seem to suck only at first (braking and changing direction seems to be the key). I once wrote off hovers as horrible, until I started "boost-stopping" to suddenly change direction.

A tank must have over-boost to dodge missiles, and even then you're more than likely going to eat swarms of heat-seeking explosive metal cocks. Over boost works at long range, but the charge delay makes it useless at medium/close range for dodging missiles unless you are damn near psychic. Tanks are best at stun-raping lighter ACs with heavy weapons, but they also have obvious drawbacks.

If you have B or better mobility ranking, you should be able to dodge whatever missiles come your way at will. The launch range and timing for perfect missile hits is hair-thin in AC:LR. Few missile systems offer a point-blank range trajectory in AC:LR, but those that do open up stun-blade combo possibilities.

Learn to "pull" missiles one way, then change direction at the last second, and move TOWARD your opponent at the right time so that the missiles swoop behind you and miss. This works best if you're using an agile bipedal (even heavy bipeds can easily dodge if they have good boost speed). At certain ranges you can even get the missiles to (very rarely) hit the AC that launched them (this requires supreme boost speed, skill, and luck)!

If you want a good missile system for close range combat, I recommend the Nymphe, CR-WB7SMT, CR-WBW94M2, and CR-WBW89M for close-range direct fire missiles. You can "shotgun" point-blank (point blank is not to be confused with melee/blade range*) with those missile systems and can stun most medium/light ACs. Don't overlook the GAR extensions, RM3 is awesome and all but the E02RM-GAR is light, has good ammo stores, and has a good trajectory.

Also don't forget to use your verticle leap on RJ's and Bipeds to save energy and stay mobile. You will need the energy for when those missile swarms are comming your way (practice vs Rim Fire, Zinaida, and Principal).

I could talk about just missile dodging methods all day :) I happened to like the challenge in Nine-Breaker very much.

* The difference between point-blank and melee range is often a fraction of a second, so try to transition from point-blank to melee for combos whenever possible.

Edited by Plus Escapee