Rixorwhatever's Artwork

Rixlen

Here's a collection of stuff I've doodled over the last three years.

1292388_10204652908229918_1061937191380658830_o.jpg10443268_10204652934470574_6375578265049506442_o.jpg10629450_10204652959751206_921005898162259464_o.jpg1957685_10204652970391472_7435496994479517312_o.jpg1614471_10204652983871809_8826102410596126435_o.jpg10553947_10204652988831933_7764384109699643229_o.jpg

I'm teaching myself how to use watercolor paint for my new projects.

I still have a long way to go in digital art, I can barely use gimp. lol

Edited by Rixlen

Yep, I noticed, that's why I'm going to school to get better. lol

As for recent stuff...ehhh, nothing but a lot of body type practice really.

I'm going from manga to an urban comic style.

Also working on sprites and chibis.

I've been getting a lot of demand for more Afro, I'll see what I can do. It might just benefit my art style.

- maybe "Urban Manga" is a better classification.

- I'd also like to add that I truly appreciate the critique Mista Pengin. Got pretty bored of people just saying "that looks good."

Edited by Ruhiu

Oh yeah I've seen these, I made critiques a while back on ACL. Like I probably said before, excellent linework, I love how everything fits together so well, the outfits and gear are incredibly well done.

Some of the guys are sort of squatty in the full body pics, mainly due to the larger heads. Primarily present on the set of drawings surrounding the "War Bandit" pic.

But yeah your main thing you got going is the linework and shapes and how you are able to fit everything together in a compact package. It really is fun to look at. Your style is definitely primed for some color. Looking forward to more in the future!

Edited by Nomrah

I said this to Jackson but if you want to draw better fake people you need to know how to draw real people first. Get a sketchbook and just doodle hands and feet and arms and legs and all that stuff. Sketch people when you go out to lunch. Try to think of the body as a collection of shapes instead of depending so much on line.

Oh and draw naked people whenever you get the chance

Lucky you. I had to wait 2 semesters and then get lots of signatures for approval juts to get into those classes-- even tho Drawing II was an early required class which 5-6 more advanced studios on my degree planned required as a prerequisite. My college sucked.

Btw I dig that pec shading in the very first pic. Them's some clean looking pecs. Real clean. Damn they're lookin good man!

Edited by Top Notch Penis

Yeah, since I'm a graduate I kinda got the fast-lane treatment. lol

I'm also heading out to get some new supplies. Like a 0.5 drafting mechanical pencil and some high quality 0.1 and 0.5 pens.

All of these were drawn with a one dollar papermate sharpwriter and some other pen.

Looking back I could see that I had little to no control in line density, which lead to proportion issues.

Glad you liked the pecs!

@Bishop: Well I'm going to go with Ninety's advice and retrain myself with real people. Then I'll start integrating Afro's "Urban Manga" style in there.

I can squeeze in a few copypastas from Afro or Street Fighter for fun.

Edited by Ruhiu

• 3 months later...

Been away for a bit, got college what can I say.

So I got a commission from a comic to see if I can draw in comic/graphic novel style. This was the result.

The color is pure watercolor paint and ink pens, nothing special.

http://pre14.deviantart.net/2a39/th/pre/i/2015/078/c/6/enforcer_by_rixlen-d8m9x61.jpghttp://orig00.deviantart.net/e57c/f/2015/078/4/f/enforcer_colored_by_rixlen-d8m9x60.jpg

http://img03.deviantart.net/04bd/i/2015/078/f/9/militia_by_rixlen-d8m9x6h.jpghttp://orig11.deviantart.net/a4c7/f/2015/078/c/8/militia_colored_by_rixlen-d8m9x6b.jpg

man pic:

-lol eyebrows

-work on those eyes

-NJPD doesnt look accurately positioned according to his chest, try contouring slightly or something

-biceps look too short

-decent textures and coloring all things considered

woman pic:

-boobs too round

-elbow joint shadow way too deep

-posture is awkward like shes leaning backwards too far

-even tho u got a mask, the face looks wak

-hair could use more work

-crotch shadow makes it look like her vagoo is clampin down on dat

-right foot is awkard

-shirt is tight so the wrinkles in the stomach look like tumors

-good camo

overall the shadowing is flat which makes the characters look flat

you are decent at doing shadows for the small details but not the whole image itself

it looks like you need better art supplies rather than 2B pencils and watercolors

get some sick black markers

comics are all about them blacks and line weights

also u drew pretty square and neutral positions

can u draw them in more difficult positions if u have to

im sure these are all things u have considered if u hav been commissioned

Thank you for the critique Mr. Penguin.

I'll admit, I'm not satisfied, but I'm also not displeased since this is my first try in both graphic novel style and painting.

I also agree that I need to expand into dynamic poses in my future trials.

But it was also fun as hell since the style is rather challenging. I found only one book on graphic novel figure drawing in 3 book stores.

In the future I'm looking into fusing Copic Markers, Watercolor and Gouache to give a more layered 3d feel to the shading.

Heh, I realized in this commission how much I have to learn. Even joined my college's animator network so I can surround myself with potential rivals.