Your Top 15 Fav Videogames

Nomrah

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had access to both games at the same time when I was young, while I love them both, Ecco 2 was quicker to grab my attention for various reasons. While both feature great soundtracks, I definitely prefer the second games, it sounds more full and deep and features better sound quality, kicking things off strong right off the bat with the title screen track. The main thing though was the locations, I was always big on seeing new interesting locations and the second game really delivered in that regard, it didn't take long to see the good future, and by that point I was completely captivated. The evolved dolphins and sky tunnels, then leading to the Tubes of Medusa, butting heads with a giant jellyfish miles above sea level. Then there was the vortex future which completely captured the vibe that the world we knew was long gone. Those are some examples of things that helped secure it as the game I spent more time with and remember the most. Edited by Nomrah

nomrah's description of ecco 2 makes me want to play it again

especially since i remember not liking it

maybe i just need nomrah to write ecco 2 novelization instead

ya that's way better option

i'll ride for ecco 1 all day tho

also i'm old enough to remember when it dropped and what it did for video games at the time

My appreciation for it was cemented early on at a young age, I'm sure my perception of it would be much different than someone who first experienced it when they were older.

You'd probably enjoy my novelization more.

I want to know what it did for games though.

Also yeah, plenty of games on here I have not played as well that I should check out. Also I've been wanting to play RE1 remake for forever, but never had a gamecube, but now they did the HD remaster so I guess I gotta get a PS4.

Edited by Nomrah

you ever hear of that game Journey? on ps3

the main thing to know about that game was that it's really artsy-fartsy and high-concept but you don't really notice it while ur playing cuz it's 1) really fun and 2) really engaging

so for most ppl, it influences u in an insidious (lol) way because you start thinking about how a game could be something else (or more than) a game without actually thinking about it first...or even being against it, like some ppl like to be

ecco was like that but like 20 years earlier

it was unlike anything else on the market, it didn't compromise, it didn't play to demographics, and it was godly

you just don't see stuff like that often, but when you do, people notice, and people change, in a good way

sort of like how Super Mario Bros changed EVERYTHING but on a much smaller scaler (obviously)

so yeah like journey lol

mind-expanding stuff

i bet some of those top games of all times lists publications put out would have Ecco 1 on their lists (fuck those lists btw, as an aside lol)

oh a good example of what ecco did would be what demon's souls did when it came out

shit was in the fucking business insider n shit lol, talking about it's influence in the meta sense

shit mattered bscly

Journey is rad and would be part of my next six or seven or w/e if I listed them. Not for like a specific gameplay element, but because of the experience it culminated in or w/e.

ya man that's exactly what im saying

shout out to u for the assist my guy we right here

O__O--UNDERSTANDING--O__O

it was unlike anything else on the market, it didn't compromise, it didn't play to demographics, and it was godly

you just don't see stuff like that often, but when you do, people notice, and people change, in a good way

This is what its all about!

Also I have yet to play Journey, but it's something I should really get to.

I barely just learned about the RE1 predecessor on NES

it's called 'Sweet Home'

didn't know about it til like a week ago lol weird

http://i.imgur.com/8zyt33B.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jcsyBDh.jpg

Edited by Nomrah

I have a list too, in no particular order.

Donkey Kong 64 (N64) - My first video game ever. Probably a little bias here. But it was just so captivating to me, the environments, the characters, even the story. Played hours of this.

Fallout: New Vegas (PC) - Being my second Fallout game ever, I initially didn't like it too much. After playing a couple playthroughs, the beauty of the game kind of dawned on me. Now I've spent hours in it, and I don't regret a moment of it.

Ghost Recon + Expansions (PC) - I think what I like about this the most was how tough the game was. Trying to get everyone to survive and carry on through the game was tough, but rewarding.

Soul Calibur III (PS2) - I was very tempted to put Soul Calibur II here, and I'll probably continue. But playing through a story mode with your created character that's longer then five stages is awesome. This to me was the last SC game that Namco Bandai really cared about, and it shows. [Minus that save bug that can wipe your memory card.]

Dark Souls (Xbox 360) - No game has given me a greater sense of accomplishment then this game. Can't wait for Bloodborne.

Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox) - This was plain stupid fun. It was alienish at the same time as familiar. Plus, the idea of fighting on a giant ring was cool to me.

Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) - It blends retro and modern FPS elements quite well. It was cool to see how everything turns out if the Nazi's had won WW2, with all the little details like newspaper clippings scattered around. I didn't think I would like it without a multiplayer but you know, it's just fine without one.

Company of Heroes (PC) - I don't know if anyone here has played this but, I'm 90% sure the opening scene is just the D-Day Landing from Saving Private Ryan. Anyway, great WW2 RTS game. Makes you more wise about unit management and cover, planning ahead and keeping everyone moving.

Super Smash Bros. (N64) - I never formally owned this, only rented or borrowed from friends. It was simple, it was cool, and I loved knocking people off the map.

Hotline Miami (PC) - Great soundtrack, great combat, and so god damn violent. I'm not a big fan of top down's, but this one is different. Trying to be as aggressive as you can to get the best combo out of a floor really gives you a sense of accomplishment after dying many a times.

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (N64) - I'm pretty sure this game made me into a Star Wars fan. Flying around in the various crafts was awesome. Seeing the unique environments was also cool. Would love to get my hands on one of the newer ones for the Gamecube.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Xbox 360) - This is DICE's masterpiece here. It was fun, it was funny, it was also pretty. It had tight gameplay, responsive controls and felt a bit more team based then even the main games. DICE plz, Bad Company 3. Also creating a ATV C4 bomb was awesome.

Red Faction (PS2) - This game really captured the whole destructible environment thing that games nowadays try to do. Except here, you can dig your own tunnel with a rock drill. Or alternatively, run Ultor guards with said rock drill. Fighting on the surface of Mars was cool, pretty sure you had to keep your enviro suit meter up, otherwise if it hit zero you'd die on the surface, also thought that was kind of cool.

Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater: Subsistence (PS2) - Hideo Kojima's James Bond film. I like to think he was watching a lot of the Sean Connery and early Roger Moore era of Bond films before he made this. Snake Eater (the vocal theme) reminds me a lot of From Russia with Love.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2) - Rockstar, can I have a modern Vice City game please? Anyway, this game kind of captured what the GTA series was all about in my eyes.

Red Faction (PS2) - This game really captured the whole destructible environment thing that games nowadays try to do. Except here, you can dig your own tunnel with a rock drill. Or alternatively, run Ultor guards with said rock drill. Fighting on the surface of Mars was cool, pretty sure you had to keep your enviro suit meter up, otherwise if it hit zero you'd die on the surface, also thought that was kind of cool.

This game should be in my honorable mentions. Capek's zoo was great.

"Hurry Parker! something is.. hungry."

Also the multiplayer map with the two opposing multi-leveled fortress's was the best.

Edited by Nomrah

omg i know the map ur talking about

best goddam map ever

SC3 was super dope werd, it actually had the best character customization between 3 4 and 5 and it has the best single player out of any other fighting game hands down. my mem card did get hit by the save glitch twice though, and the second time it happened i was almost done with chronicles of the sword. that hurt

new vegas should be one of my honorable mentions tbh that game is great

actually it really should be top 15 but idk waht id cut for it

Capek was a creepy mother fucker. I think I know what map you're talking about too.

Chronicles of the Sword is awesome. A real shame they didn't bother to continue with the idea. I managed to beat it once and was starting to do a second round of it when the bug got me.

Yeah I'm back, sorta.