Dark Souls 3

Clones

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Certain levels on their own in DKS3 I think are better than DKS1 levels. (Although it really isn't a fair comparison, because the better graphical prowess of the PS4 contributes a lot to level design and presentation.) Also I think as a whole DKS3 has more great bosses, especially considering its DLC isn't out yet, and DLC is where most of the best bosses in soulsborne are. I think DKS3 also has much better endgame than DKS1 as well-- Dragon Peak and the whole climb through Lothric Castle and Grand Archives is pretty amazing. DKS1 by comparison has Lost Izalith, which is a huge dent in its presentation.

DKS1's map as an entirety can't be topped though, it's so cleverly interwoven and twisted on top of itself. You have more freedom to pick your path of how to do things, the sheer verticality of it was something mindblowing to a lot of people and was rather innovative at the time. DKS1 introduced everybody to souls open-world design, the flask system, and upped the difficulty tenfold from Demon's Souls. It is the game with the most influence in the series, and is what I still think is the better game overall compared to DKS3 if you put each game in their context in their appropriate times.

yeah basically dark souls 1 is still the GOAT

ds3 is pretty great tho its the most refined of the series and it doesn't do much wrong aside from build diversity (at least until DLCs) but DS1 had that special something, idk how to put it...it had more character I guess. It feels more iconic

oh and also ds1 constantly makes you go OH SHIT cuz ur bscly seeing something for the first time ever all the time (most of the bosses in particular)

I feel like if I gave someone both games to play they're gonna like ds1 more even tho they'll prolly also say ds3 is the better-made game (which I guess is how I feel about it)

and yeah like owen said ds1 map is bscly the greatest map ever made in a video game, its a work of art

oh ds1's music is better in general too altho pontiff is still top 5 song in the series holy shit

i forced myself to stop playing a few weeks ago i wont until DLC i had to do it to get my life back lol

Okay, I see so it's apples and oranges kind of thing. Yeah the map of DS1 is just genius. Someday in the future, somebody is gonna recreate the whole thing in real life just for lulz, and it will be the Disney world for grown ups, except there will be trampolines at the bottom of the pits.

DS3 sounds amazing though, I've been making some money, but I'm still nowhere in a position to play anyway.

Yeah I do agree I like DKS1's soundtrack better. DKS3's soundtrack is kinda meh and I don't like it very much at all.

Bloodborne I think has the best soundtrack in the series, is tied with DKS3 for having the most 'best' bosses, and does the best job of any game in the series of having a very concentrated and saturated lore and aesthetic. It lacks severely compared to any of the souls games as far as content goes-- lack of weapons, armor, levels, and especially multiplayer. However what it does good, it does the best in the series.

ds1 bosses had a bigger impact on me but ya ds3 bosses are "better" as bosses thats mostly true i agree

its like a snapshot of the difference in the two games: one has more personality while the other is more technically well-done

ya bloodborne is fucking great too no doubt

i still have a "soft spot" for the butcher boss in demons souls and the tower knight. Only thing I really liked about bloodborne was the scythe weapon. the atmosphere was cool, but for the most part i could've lived without the game. my opinion is partly biased due to the fact i bought the ps4 for that game and it didn't exactly pan out like i thought it would. Edited by Rachis

imo ds2 is mostly garbage because of the lack of boss variety and soul memory

boss diversity was also shit because there was actually just a shitload of bosses in comparison to the other games

the more i think about it (aside from those two things), ds2 is actually a fantastic game due to the game mechanics, level design, and pvp diversity. it hands down has the best combat mechanics of any of the souls games. everything in des was a STR build and second chance was required, dks1 had insane backstab fishing and dead angling, and dks3 is about as entertaining as the national cornhole championships

dks1 gets an edge for being the first technically, even though des was the first. des -> dks1 was such a huge jump compared to dks1 -> dks2

dks3 is full of castles lame levels, too much stuff rehashed from all of the previous games, and the game is way too easy compared to the other ones (omg rolls are fkn op af). its understandable because of how many games have been before it by now, and after awhile you can only do so much with the genre. they better not make a 4th one soon tho because the series has ran out of steam and its just not that original or creative anymore

my ranking would go des > dks2 = dks1 >>> dks3 ??? bb (never played bb but it didnt interest me in the first place)

You still had luck builds with bbs and dex build with uchi, but yeah there were about 5 or so dominant types of loadouts in Des, and they all balanced each other out pretty nicely. In the grand scheme of things, the overall diversity of the game was shit, but the balance between them was ok. Keep in mind that Des was never patched for balance as well.

I've never had experience with Dks2 pvp after the first big patch hit, but I do know before that patch that it was easily the most abusable game with the nastiest abusable weapons and magic. My favorite example being that resonant weapon Syan's Halberd, which was basically a long ass spear with the hitbox width of longsword horizontal swing. One hit with it, and you're guaranteed for a 3 hit combo-- the likes of which does 1800 damage. Let's also not forget the

and the
, among many others.

I think Dark Souls 2 has the exact opposite problem of Dark Souls 3 when it comes to PvP. Mechanically, it's hot garbage. Rolls just don't make sense, plus the game feels super stiff and slow. What it did have going for it is the ability to play around with builds and create cool ideas and setups. Dark Souls 3 is easily the best mechanical game in the series. PvP becomes more of like a fighting game, where knowing your range and mixups are infinitely important. Knowing the entirety of your weapon's moveset is important as well, and there's a whole nother game when it comes to baiting out parries. Weapon diversity in the game is the best in the series, and they all balance each other out pretty nicely. What isn't good at all in Dks3 is build diversity-- everything is a quality build.

Level Design in Dks2 is hit or miss-- for the most part miss. I did like the layout and aesthetic of areas like fofg and the pirate ship area, but everything else is pretty bland and short. Let's not talk about world design and how each level is connected. Dark Souls 3 falters a little bit in this way in that it has more of a sprawling world instead of a cleverly intertwined one like Dark Souls 1. However I still do like the ascent up the castle and the grand archives, as I mentioned in a previous post.

Demon's Souls still has a lot of the best level designs and aesthetics for me. I'm still a sucker for 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1, 4-1, and 5-2.

yeah uh my experience with ds2 is the complete opposite of nob's and closer to what owen said but i didnt play the DLCs which i heard were a big gamechanger so there's that

the bosses were easily the most uninspired and that was definitely not just cuz there was a bunch its cuz they were literally all the same giant man fight, the map design was lazy compared even to a non-souls game, the music was boring, the mechanics especially in pvp were nonsense and there was some stuff that might be the most broken stuff out of any of the games (GRS, chaos blade, shit like that)

ds2 only did one thing better than the others and thats the summonable NPCs, aside from that it was a weak game basically on any metric

one thing tho: the fact that quality in ds3 is so dominant fucks up the replayability pretty bad. Everyone wants to think they want a build that can use every weapon but in reality that shit sucks its just plain more fun in the long run to have to build differently for different weapons

Knowing the entirety of your weapon's moveset is important as well, and there's a whole nother game when it comes to baiting out parries. Weapon diversity in the game is the best in the series, and they all balance each other out pretty nicely. What isn't good at all in Dks3 is build diversity-- everything is a quality build.

CCS 2HR1s beg to differ. IMO very few weapons require knowing the whole move set, the top tier duel meta weapons all revolve around one move. Straight swords have the most viable move set but 1HR1s are still the best solution to most scenarios.

From a PvE only standpoint you're right.

I actually liked the slower pace of 2, it felt more realistic. Hitting things wasn't as big an issue, 3 feels like FA to me in the way its pvp meta functions...

Started 2 somewhere between DLC 1 and 2, can confirm it was a broken clusterfuck. It FUCKING STUNS me that people complain about 3s invasion mechanics, considering estus was disabled for invaders. Went after pvp for a month or two, drowned in the blood of my enemies once i accepted the running r1 katana combo. It was a very boring and simple game.

Mechanically ds3 is far worse in that regard. 2 at least had those swag as fuck back-step moves, dual wielding and glorious hilt parry. se Honestly I think they botched 3, releasing it too early or chose to cash in with what they had knowing it'd be enough. No way the original plan was this gimpy as fuck offhand "system"...

thing tho: the fact that quality in ds3 is so dominant fucks up the replayability pretty bad. Everyone wants to think they want a build that can use every weapon but in reality that shit sucks its just plain more fun in the long run to have to build differently for different weapons

yeah at 120 theres little point to anything else. Too many RPS match ups and too few single stat options... I count two weapons with viable str/dex scaling and buffable elemental damage...

Low SL is better ime, vit builds are a thing below SL60... YES VIT BUILDS...

Edited by Nescient

i tried for a month to do something that wasn't quality and was unable to do so. my main sparty dude, who isn't even a meta character, still runs 40/40. its kinda dumb. i've always liked refined, but i don't like being shoehorned into something either. the fact that my str build was the only other thing i could even bother to finish and it still wasn't that great to me says a lot about the creativity allowed in this game. tons of builds get put up on youtube that are lots of the same stats with just different equipment. the only "original" stuff is hey lets see what happens if i put 70 in a primary stat. not really effective.

dks3 universal 3 hit combos are nothing compared to pushlock or 2HR1 infinites in des where second chance was a necessity, and you had to toggle glitch in dks1 to get out of stunlock combos. most of the balance issues that you guys are familiar with (GRS, syans, etc) got fixed after the first big patch and it made the game way better (also, at least magic and poise work, unlike in dks3 :tut:).

i say the mechanics are better because rolls arent as abusable as they are in dks1 or dks3 where the i-frames and stamina usage are ridiculous. you can actually punish someone for making a shitty roll in dks2,

. dks2 is definitely slower paced though in comparison to the other games which i can see why someone mite not like that

dks3 also has backstab startup which kinda irritates me, since it makes it harder to punish rolls or attacks or parry attempts. tbh id rather deal with bullshit backstabs instead of having it virtually removed as an option

and the reason why i hate dks3 level design so much is that literally everything is a castle. castle with green bg, castle with blue bg, castle with red bg, castle in a swamp, etc. nothing tops dks1 for level design, but id honestly consider dks2 levels to be on par in terms of diversity

Parry has become the new backstab of Dks3, and it's very easy to parry someone who only uses twinsword's rolling R1s. I also like how that guy is at lvl 120 and only chose to put videos against people who had around 1k hp. That shit's wild easy to embarrass no matter the weapon. Gothard's rolling r1 a great move no doubt, but rolling R1s in general suck in Dks3 compared to the other Souls games because of parry-baiting. The fact that hornet ring can one-shot you off a parry most of the time adds to that. I much prefer playing the parry game than dealing with backstabs that only exaggerated the latency issues the games have.

In Dark Souls 2, I made a run to bloodbro rank 3 in only a couple days, and my only strat was running at people with a 1h drakesword dashing attack, then predicting their roll away, so prematurely running after I attacked towards their roll, and punished literally every time with a backstab. Even on my screen at times, I would teleport into their bodies from quite the distance. Experiences like this were what I dealt with mostly in Dark Souls 2, where every build centered around basically one core strategy, and you followed that same strat through every one of your fights. Dark Souls 3 is the first game where I've felt as if mixing up your attack timings and using different attacks plays an important role-- it's part of what makes the entire halberd class super hard to deal with. (Straight swords being an exception to the use all your moveset rule.)

But I was entertained enough with Dark Souls 2's build variety that I wanted to do multiple playthroughs with different characters that concentrated on different stats. In Dark Souls 3, I made a quality character, and one that centered around demon fist. I tried my hardest to make a unique character after that for another playthrough, but never could find one. In that sense, Dark Souls 2 has more replay-ability than Dark Souls 3 for me.

I can buy the everything is a castle thing.

Poise is a dumb and highly abusable system and you should feel dumb. With poise, everybody is going to reach for the same breakpoints anyways, and I much prefer weapons be balanced instead via their unique properties and weapon arts instead of relying on a universal system to counteract fast-swinging weapons.

Edited by Dad

you shit on a bunch of panic rolling scrubs to hit rank 3 gj youre just as good as the person in the video i posted. i bet you can parry those rolling R1s with 90% success too, especially when they are only used to punish your attempts and not vice versa.

i guess poise is more dumb than getting stuffed by estoc or carthus because either your weapon isnt fast enough or doesnt have enough range and you literally cant do anything except attempt to parry bait or hyper armor trade with a slower weapon (and get punished for doing something far riskier than estoc R1). you can honestly just wait for the opponent to attempt to parry or attack and punish them for 2 free R1s, or just poke them straight up because of range and speed and youll stuff whatever comes out anyways as long as its not a psychic parry. having to use a high risk high reward option to counter a low risk moderate reward option is far more dumb than poise i guarantee it. other options include using a shield, even though you cant counterattack after blocking a string because your weapon is either too slow, too short, or costs too much stamina (unless you shield poke with estoc lol), or you can roll and reset the situation to neutral, where you were at a disadvantage to begin with because you dont have the range speed to match. or, you can use carthus or estoc and force the opponent to deal with the same exact thing

parry baiting has been around since parry has existed, dks3 jsut made it more of a necessity because of nerfed backstabs and lackluster combat composed of either R1 or roll (or the very skillful tactic of wait->R1). its hardly something even worth talking about, and if you have such a huge parry boner then just play dks2 where the monastery scimitar has 0F parry startup.

breakpoints arent even close to dumb and i dont even know if you know how poise works. at their worst, the poise breakpoints become a build standard (just like stat softcaps), and at their best, it allows for infinitely more build diversity and a more complex metagame. poise is a resource that diminishes with every hit you take and only regenerates if your poise is busted or you wait for a long period of time. you can't tank a rolling attack (unless you use great weapon hyper armor) and you can only take like 2 hits any other time (3 if its like a fuckin 1H dagger). this greatly expands the viability of weapons slower or larger than a longsword while still letting you play around the mechanic with faster weapons and some finesse. poise also costs weight, which is already a scarce enough resource depending on your build. fast weapons should not have the luxury of being able to shut down every attack thats slower and poise guarantees that doesnt happen every time

maybe you can elaborate on how poise is any more abusable than dks3 estoc and i might be more inclined to feel dumb. dks3 estoc is the perfect demonstration of why poise is necessary.

The experience proves the talk; Dark Souls 3 has had the best weapon diversity considering its total amount of weapons compared to every to any other Souls game.

From my experience at Pontiff, Estoc has been the least of my worries. Plenty of weapons will out-trade it, and plenty of weapons have armor properties in their swings.

You're right, I punished scrubs who panic-rolled away, and I did it all the way to rank 3, and boy did it feel good. We're not talking about tip-top tournamnet play here, but we are talking dudes who have way more prepared builds than guys at lvl 120 with only 1k hp (lol.)

Poise breakpoints didn't do shit to diversify Dark Souls 1. Literally everybody ran around as a giant-dad. Dark Souls 2 it doesn't matter cause souls memory, so everybody is full havel with 10 buffs.

Edited by Dad