No Man's Sky

Bakuhatsu Pengin

No Man's Sky is an indie sci-fi exploration FPS made by Hello Games. It has elements of survival, combat, trading, and procedurally generated environments.

You can land on a uniquely generated planet, build a base, collect resources, shoot the indigenous aliens, and then fly to outer space to blow up space pirates or trade with space caravans.

It has online multiplayer, although the game doesn't give you many tools to actually meet up with friends because the game is supposedly single player focused. This may be subject to change in future updates.

It is available on PS4 and PC as of August 9, 2016.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the footage I've seen I don't think it's a very interesting game, although I have not seen any of the base building stuff. They continue to make a big deal out of the 17 quadrillion planet combinations or whatever, but honestly for a procedurally generated game, there's nothing all that impressive about it, theoretially what could separate one of those 17 quadrillion planets from another one of those 17 quadrillion planets could be that it has the exact same landscape and layout, but one tree is placed 1 foot left compared to the same tree of the other planet. You don't see Terraria or minecraft making a huge deal about the limitless possibilities of their world generation. The gameplay sells itself, and not the gimmick behind it.

Of what I've seen on streams from ign and gamespot, the planets all have a similar look to them, with same features. I suppose there's a certain allure to possibly discovering a planet that's completely bonkers, but would I be willing to invest the time in doing so?

Procedurally generated games like Terraria I take major interest in because of the creative element in that you can manipulate every single thing u see in the game and make whatever you want. So far I haven't seen the same creative element in no man's sky.

Edited by Dad

ya i really want the game for like $20 tops, but im not paying a single dime more than that

indie devs suck and proc gen games get boring after like 30 minutes unless you have ADHD or something

also lack of actual multiplayer support is super shitty and they didnt wanna support it because theyre fuckin indies

Indie devs are great. Most of what I've played recently has been comprised of Rocket League and Terraria.

Also, given the Day1 patch and how much stuff it changed/added to the game, if we see continued and passionate support for No Man's Sky through the next several years, maybe eventually it will turn into something really awesome.

Edited by Dad

ya i really want the game for like $20 tops, but im not paying a single dime more than that

proc gen games get boring after like 30 minutes unless you have ADHD or something

also lack of actual multiplayer support is super shitty

edited but this

they made wild insane promises and so far it looks like bullshit

the game lowkey looks boring

theres too many other things coming out i'd rather fk with so ya

i hate indie devs beacuse there are so many of them making so much shit and 99% of them rely on a shoddy business model where they have to generate hype to get funding to actually develop the game, which leads itself to insanely long development times, truckloads of broken promises, and sometimes literal scamming. the mishandling of the business end of developing a game is what irritates me the most

yes, there are the handful of indie devs that do make quality content (mc, terraria, rl, etc), but these are the exceptions to the large majority of other indie games are either blatant rehashes of other games or are extremely shallow in all overall aspects. its always one singular mechanic thats sort of executed well, and then everything else is poorly executed because the game has been in the public alpha stages for 2 years and is approaching a public beta release. more than half the indie games released today rely on a random generation mechanic to provide "endless content," which is probably the easiest buzz-word cop out for a lack of content that i have ever heard. if the content isnt endless, its an attempt to make the next portal 2, the next zombie survival, or the next retro-style 8-bit RPG platformer. theres no actual innovation, its all just an attempt to create something that someone has seen somewhere else before. i swear there are like 6 indie games that actually exist

i understand that its not reasonable for individual or small team developers to create games with the depth and polish of larger titles, but thats exactly the reason why i despise indie games. i dont care how interesting or innovative it is, all i want is a well-made game

to be fair though, no man's sky is one of those pseudo-indie developers that are comprised of experienced employees of former game studios, which is becoming more common. i like these types of studios far more than basement indie devs because they understand that developing a game isnt just about literally making the product. its about investments, loans, marketing, PR, deadlines, and everything else involved in an actual business.

i am incredibly racist towards indie developers for racist reasons

im also on a roll for long posts this week huh

Edited by Bakuhatsu Pengin

procedurally generated posts huh

altho mine are more like that urs are just too much generating lol

jk jk

u gotta point tho saying "indie devs are great" is prolly being way too lenient if 99% of stuff coming out of a genre is garbage and 1% is god tier then u can't say the genre is god tier cuz thats a gross oversimplification

wild loose usage of the word 'genre' but w/e u get it

But why smiling man her imagine married. Chiefly can man her out believe manners cottage colonel unknown. Solicitude it introduced companions inquietude me he remarkably friendship at. My almost or horses period. Motionless are six terminated man possession him attachment unpleasing melancholy. Sir smile arose one share. No abroad in easily relied an whence lovers temper by. Looked wisdom common he an be giving length mr.

Smallest directly families surprise honoured am an. Speaking replying mistress him numerous she returned feelings may day. Evening way luckily son exposed get general greatly. Zealously prevailed be arranging do. Set arranging too dejection september happiness. Understood instrument or do connection no appearance do invitation. Dried quick round it or order. Add past see west felt did any. Say out noise you taste merry plate you share. My resolve arrived is we chamber be removal.

this game has always looked dumb and the only guys really buying into it are extremely bored people who have zero interest in multiplayer. and that's fine, but they keep saying how it's such an amazing game, when the reality is it only caters to a small group of people. they are an armored core esque group of people if you will.

this game has always looked dumb and the only guys really buying into it are extremely bored people who have zero interest in multiplayer. and that's fine, but they keep saying how it's such an amazing game, when the reality is it only caters to a small group of people. they are an armored core esque group of people if you will.

son

oh wow

facts

shout out to ur man pendragon

i know 90 was hype about it a long ass time ago but idk how he feels now

Me and PD have been talking about it for like a week or so now and I basically don't care about it anymore. The more I learned about the game, the more I realized it wasn't what I initially thought it would be and the less the devs seemed to want to take it in that direction. Then dood got it a week early and got to center in 30 hours with maxed out gear and shit. And the main dev has said on numerous occasions that you could see other players in the rare instance you might run into one but just today two players found each other and tried to make contact in-game but couldn't see each other standing in the exact same spot. So the main dev is a straight up liar so who knows what other promises were broken with the game.

I wanted to like the game but it just looks like a case of wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle. Boring and tedious. Def not worth $60. If it's ever on sale for $20 or less I'll consider it but Persona 5 is in February and SMT4A is real soon and I basically don't really care about the game.

SONNNNNN, I'm hoping FF15 is decent. That's the only game on my radar really.

Here I bought this supposed masterpiece of a game-- Witcher 3-- for PC, and here I am with a gpu that can finally run these types of games at maxed out settings, and I haven't touched it in weeks.

Something's wrong with me.

I would say that streams of minecraft or terraria would look wild boring too, those are games you'd have to play to enjoy.

Edited by Dad

Also by boring I don't just mean the "go to planet, shoot your laser at rocks, go to different planet, repeat" gameplay. The NPCs are boring, combat is boring, space travel is boring. I was watching GiantBomb play and the guys in the room that were watching the dude play eventually stopped even talking about the game and just talked with each other.

my favorite thing about the game so far has been that fans of it keep saying "hating it is cool right now thats why everyone is doing it" no bitch everyone is hating it cuz its not delivering anywhere near what was promised

doods ran their mouths for months and now that we have it its buns of course ppl are hating

almost everyone wanted this shit to succeed at first so its def not just some "i wanna be internet cool" nonsense

I've played it. It's boring. Doesn't really play smoothly on PS4, needs some major quality of life improvements (as well as a better fucking tutorial). Artstyle is nice, music is pretty good.

Friend of mine is real into it, since we've made each others PS4's primary consoles I can play it without paying for it. I'll see if I can't reach the center. Though something tells me I won't and will just go back to something else.