Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries

Not-Hunter

I remember liking some of the spinoff games on the xbox, mechassault, but this just looks kinda bland.

One thing i could never get over with this series is that a lot of the more humanoid mechs have hands but don't use them for anything.

Edited by Not-Hunter

Yep looks like mechwarrior.

I would like the franchise more if AC didn't set a standard for mech games that nobody can even hold a candle to.

#spoiled

this and the actual battletech doods are making a new battletech game that looks dope

and their track record is v strong so it's prolly gonna be as good as it looks/sounds

plays wild diff from mechwarrior but well steve already covered that anyhow

last thing i need is a crappier ac

fuck ac

• 2 weeks later...

the older mechwarriors (like way older) were kinda cool but newer ones were trash and u really start to see how crappy they are in comparison to the source material because there's no longer an excuse for the limitations present anymore (ex. hands that don't do anything)

its 2016 ffs

like Steve said if you wanted that kind of stuff than AC did it way way way way way way way WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY better, at least through the first 3 eras of the game

Heavy Gear did what mechwarrior tried to do better, as well, back in the day

battletech is bscly the originator of all mech shit and its pretty great as a franchise but this game looks like its not even remotely doing it any justice which comes as no surprise

battletech is at its best when you're walking onto a battlefield in a huge mech with all kinds of big ass cannons and you're smashing apart bots while standing in a lake

if you get away from that then chances are other series do/did it better u know?

iirc mechassault was p cool

Yep looks like mechwarrior.

I would like the franchise more if AC didn't set a standard for mech games that nobody can even hold a candle to.

#spoiled

Tru that

this and the actual battletech doods are making a new battletech game that looks dope

and their track record is v strong so it's prolly gonna be as good as it looks/sounds

plays wild diff from mechwarrior but well steve already covered that anyhow

last thing i need is a crappier ac

fuck ac

Although MWO and all those games are kinda cool you cabt really compare to the customization and the fast paced action of the 4th gen AC games

heavy gear is old as fk but it was fun

heavy gear 2 was not very good tbh but heavy gear was

the problem i had with heavy gear 2 was it gave u access to all the equipment from the drop so bscly it killed the balance and the fun of playing thru the game and building ur bot by earning ranks and parts

Although MWO and all those games are kinda cool you cabt really compare to the customization and the fast paced action of the 4th gen AC games

battletech is at its best when you're walking onto a battlefield in a huge mech with all kinds of big ass cannons and you're smashing apart bots while standing in a lake

if you get away from that then chances are other series do/did it better u know?

the problem i had with heavy gear 2 was it gave u access to all the equipment from the drop so bscly it killed the balance and the fun of playing thru the game and building ur bot by earning ranks and parts

I like this. It's a part of what is wrong with DS franchise right now. People expect everything to be balanced and completely neglect the progression aspect of the game. Why should an axe be just as viable yhorms? Why should a basic laser rifle be just as viable as the karasawa? Progression is fun and rewarding. It's an extremely shallow mechanic, but it lets you feel like you are getting stronger. It adds the drive to invest more time into getting more stuff.

yeah man, progress matters, even at a superficial level

it's what keeps the people going

it's also what convinced all those clowns that they could keep up with me in AC hahahhahahahahahahahahahahhaha

fuck ur little arcadias and nine balls

no for reals tho its basic game design to build progress in that's the whole point of level design, not to mention all that other shit (like equipments in ds, parts in ac, etc)

heavy gear does an excellent job of that, hg2 not so much